Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"you don't have to monetize this video as long as you monetize others"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

anthonypants posted:

google's response to this news was that you can link to external sites like patreon without monetizing them if you're a youtube partner

what does that mean

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
countdown to amazon making a YouTube competitor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Amethyst posted:

what does that mean

you can choose to not give them money in one way if you give them money in another way.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sagebrush posted:

you can choose to not give them money in one way if you give them money in another way.

lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if they demonetize your video do they take your links away now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Amethyst posted:

youtube just made it compulsory to monetize your video if you want to link to patreon

just put it in video description?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Apparently Youtube is just too big to keep all the rascists/scams/garbage off but I bet this is something theyll have no trouble enforcing.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FMguru posted:

lol each of those nokias had its own custom software stack and were mutually incompatible with each other

80+ phone models, 80+ os/app bundles, 80+ separate targets to develop third party apps for

symbian apps were cross compatible, but symbian was a massive ballache to develop for.

high-end feature phones had java me apps, which were reasonably compatible, iirc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

high-end feature phones had java me apps, which were reasonably compatible, iirc

the java me standard library was crippled as gently caress though

you couldn't (reliably) do anything more interesting than "snake" with it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah and? neither could the cpu in those phones, much less the screen

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I had a POS kyocera phone with BREW apps on it. i remember the "app store" had like, 12 things in it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the standard library was poo poo, but there were a shitload of extensions to it. i don't know how standardized those were, but i'm guessing "somewhat"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i remember java me being peak "make no assumptions about the capabilities of the phone".

there were no buttons and poo poo to make the ui with, there were like "actions" or something and they could be rendered as a list or radio buttons or whatever the gently caress.

i'm pretty sure i made some kind of a bouncy ball program with java me

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Java UI in Android is done in XML. Actions are the same thing as event handlers in .net

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Apparently Youtube is just too big to keep all the rascists/scams/garbage off but I bet this is something theyll have no trouble enforcing.
just like twitter, racists and nazis buy goods just like everyone else, so why would you ban a market? :capitalism:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

just like twitter, racists and nazis buy goods just like everyone else, so why would you ban a market? :capitalism:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

the standard library was poo poo, but there were a shitload of extensions to it. i don't know how standardized those were, but i'm guessing "somewhat"

not at all.

Wheany posted:

i remember java me being peak "make no assumptions about the capabilities of the phone".

there were no buttons and poo poo to make the ui with, there were like "actions" or something and they could be rendered as a list or radio buttons or whatever the gently caress.

ding ding ding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

yeah and? neither could the cpu in those phones, much less the screen

in the nokia case, all of the CPUs were really beefy (for mobile). the very first series 60 had a 100 mhz arm9 per wikipedia. and they only got faster from there

they were certainly fast enough to run java well, but the std lib didn't allow you to do anything useful

edit: the screens varied, but the reason manufacturers kept dumping poo poo screens was that there was little incentive to do better -- it made the phone more expensive but there were no fuckin apps to encourage anyone to spend the money

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 1, 2017

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sagebrush posted:

me too. there was a real neat period in phone design in like 2002-06 where everyone was experimenting like crazy and it was great. (then the iphone came along and ruined everything)

wtf are you talking about, we still had wacky phones after the iPhone

remember the androids that came out with a projector, so you could have a lovely phone and a lovely projector

or the echo that did the clamshell thing that absolutely nobody wanted

or the one with the e ink back so you could have half the battery life and at least one screen that your always tapping inadvertently

don't forget the 3D phase, where your phone had a built in vertigo simulator

Christ this was a lovely phone

funny fact: this came bundled with the only 3D movie you could watch on this, and it was the green lantern :whitewater:

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
also
the Samsung phone with two displays in front (one like a stock ticker)

the various keyboard phones
there was a flip phone with a keyboard
the Motorola with the laptop dock
the whole Verizon android thing pre iPhone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

also

yeah every pre-iphone phone was just a fight to see which gimmick would move phones, and no one phone was the best because they all had a shittly little subset of features

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wild EEPROM posted:

also

is it a pad?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I had one of these and it was awful

I also had one of these and it was also awful

I also had an htc thunderbolt and it actually wasn't awful for the hour or so that you could use it before recharging.

android- slightly better than free-tier poo poo gimmick phones.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

My Linux Rig posted:

don't forget the 3D phase, where your phone had a built in vertigo simulator

Christ this was a lovely phone

funny fact: this came bundled with the only 3D movie you could watch on this, and it was the green lantern :whitewater:

I had this phone and found it very needs suiting. at the time I think it was the best phone you could get on sprint (I made a lot of lovely choices back then)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wild EEPROM posted:

also
yeah i'm pretty sure they're still selling samsung galaxy edge phones

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

or the one with the e ink back so you could have half the battery life and at least one screen that your always tapping inadvertently

if this just had the e ink screen i would absolutely use this. i am a slut for e-ink

is it just me or does the displayed message read as a bit exasperated in tone for a marketing hero shot tho?

has anyone used the multi-window multitasking stuff that's in the galaxy notes and (i think) the new android? i watched a review of the new note and they briefly gushed about what a cool useful feature it was over some b-roll of them turning one usable app into two unusable apps which seemed to consist of about 20% visible app content obscured by floating ui elements

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 2, 2017

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Generic Monk posted:

if this just had the e ink screen i would absolutely use this. i am a slut for e-ink

is it just me or does the displayed message read as a bit exasperated in tone for a marketing hero shot tho?

Its a shame that demand for eink is so low because Ive always wanted a giant eink tablet or an eink phone

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I had this phone and found it very needs suiting. at the time I think it was the best phone you could get on sprint (I made a lot of lovely choices back then)

yep, same reasoning for me too. it was an alright phone, but the battery life was ridiculously bad (to the point where I needed to carry two extra batteries around, which hosed up a date once when I pulled it out accidentally and got a "that's the nerdiest poo poo I've ever seen" reaction) and I remember chrome would glitch the gently caress out on it for years so I had to use the lovely native android browser that scrolled liked jittery molasses

wait it wasn't an alright phone, it sucked, what the gently caress was needs suiting about it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i wanted the matrix phone so bad when the movie came out

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The XKCD Larper posted:

Its a shame that demand for eink is so low because Ive always wanted a giant eink tablet or an eink phone

sony will sell you the giant e ink tablet for 800 smackeroos. it's probably poo poo but boy howdy is she beautiful :eyepop:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I also had one of these and it was also awful

i had this and liked it

i replaced it with the original pebl which had a great spring loaded screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23TqCo8fj0

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

back in the late 90s when sony camcorders with NIGHTSHOT (infrared mode) were a hot item, there were whole internet communities devoted to using them to vaguely see through women's clothes. (it does work, sort of, but only on certain types of thin black fabric -- but the mere possibility that it might succeed was enough to fuel thousands of perverts' obsessions for years)

i think it'd be really neat if people would set up their own mini 2G networks now that the spectrum is open. (i'm sure it's already been sold for some other purpose). buy yourself an old razr and connect to Famous Original Ray's Cell Phone Tower and talk to other pizza lovers on the lower east side.

back when they turned of analog TV I hoped that it would lead to cool things of a similar nature -- pirate tv stations setting up where if you were in a particular neighborhood or building you could tune in to some dude broadcasting youtube videos on channel 14 or w/e. never heard anything about it though. sad.

it's more than just thin black fabric. i have a lab camera sensitive down to 1000 nm or so and left it in the corner taping the reception for my gallery show at the local community center on timelapse for fun

turns out the blouse my grandma was wearing was transparent to IR :whitewater:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

and i just noticed 'dentist appointment'. ghosting some poor woman and having someone drill your teeth; puts me in a phone buying mood. maybe the dentist gassed you to steal your sweet e-ink phone

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Generic Monk posted:

sony will sell you the giant e ink tablet for 800 smackeroos. it's probably poo poo but boy howdy is she beautiful :eyepop:

It does look completely sick but I bet the interface is consistent with other sony stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

turns out the blouse my grandma was wearing was transparent to IR :whitewater:

:bigtran:

it's not really that the IR can see through the fabrics to any greater extent than visible light -- it's only like 950nm after all. the effect happens because a lot of fabric dyes only respond in the visible range, and are transparent to IR. so if you have a tight clingy black shirt, in IR it may appear to be a tight clingy white shirt, and you can see through it about as well as that implies.

so if grandma has a blouse made of thin, sheer material but with a loud floral print or w/e that makes it modest, and the pattern doesn't work in IR, well....

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

i wanted the matrix phone so bad when the movie came out

i really hope you're talking about this one

and not this loving thing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

this is on my "know it will suck but irrationally want" list

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

see i always thought that the first one was the real cool matrix phone, and the second one was just some dismal marketing exercise a la motorola rokr that was only related to the film by its name.

but then i watched all three matrices this weekend and found that nope, morpheus actually uses that piece of poo poo for like 2 seconds in Reloaded

e: lol not even. the one in the film, despite being a movie prop, is obviously built to a higher standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

see i always thought that the first one was the real cool matrix phone, and the second one was just some dismal marketing exercise a la motorola rokr that was only related to the film by its name.

but then i watched all three matrices this weekend and found that nope, morpheus actually uses that piece of poo poo for like 2 seconds in Reloaded

e: lol not even. the one in the film, despite being a movie prop, is obviously built to a higher standard

blob:https://imgur.com/90b11d8d-009d-4b2c-b694-c63b8e3ee527
man how do people even gently caress up pasting imgur links that badly

• Locked thread