Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Accretionist posted:

I saw a male Chinese internal student with a long thumbnail. Like an inch. A quick googling suggests this is an oldschool 'I don't do manual labor' symbol. Is this something you occasionally see on men in China?

coke nail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bajaj posted:

So Chaoshan Girl has been in India for about an hour already. I have been laughing all day at the thought of her here.
Before she left she said she didn't feel well, and it must be because of her poor sleep. I asked if it was because she was nervous, and she said yes, and she hasn't slept in at least 48 hours. She was looking cute in her pink Crocs and fluorescent luggage. The people she is going with are very nice and they are my friends, one of them being on my QQ and Wechat for nearly 3 years now. The husband honestly looks like a Chinese MCA (Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys). I trust they will keep her safe and fine on this journey.

She said she got diarrhea at the HK airport from something she ate there (she spaced out and didn't bring any food with her, which shocked me, because that's a major part of being Chinese and traveling). Before leaving she was worried about what she will eat in India because she is terrified of spicy, and was asking how many instant noodles she should bring with her. I told her she is not allowed to do that and she can't be that kind of Chinese. I am sure she still got some, but jokes on her since India isn't like China and hotels don't have ways to make hot water.

She was so worried about diarrhea that I believe she brought adult diapers with her. Poor kid. I've been working hard trying to break all these preconceived ideas she had about the majestic land of street making GBS threads, but I know someone as sensitive as she is to sights and smells will have those ideas immediately removed upon arrival.

Her trip was completely spur of the moment because she wanted to see me, but it so happens that we will not be able to meet until the last few days of her trip because how unplanned it was. I was already going to be in that area to see other friends, but she couldn't go alone so she had to tag along with the other Chinese friends and arrive almost a week before I do. I will be their lifeline because I know all the good places to eat and shop, and the cool hidden places they would never find alone, but LOL that none of this was planned better. I bought my train tickets in July or August, so I already knew my schedule, but CG got her airplane tickets something like right after I arrived here.

Of course I am going to post updates when I see her, or even if she calls me to complain. I except lots of diarrhea and puking.

"The Red Well," huh? Those Commies sure weren't a creative bunch.

I'm going to be real with you for a second.

This girl loves you. Like really loves you. You've said all along that she hates India, hates the idea of India, hates what she thinks India will be about. She has traveled thousands of miles to see you despite all this. You are the only reason she's come.

You've said before that she's a cool person, that you appreciate that she's not the average Chinese girl, that she has an independent mind of her own.

Don't break her heart. I know your feelings on marriage and I'm not saying marry the girl, but don't break her heart.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Cantorsdust posted:

This girl loves you. Like really loves you. You've said all along that she hates India, hates the idea of India, hates what she thinks India will be about. She has traveled thousands of miles to see you despite all this. You are the only reason she's come.

You've said before that she's a cool person, that you appreciate that she's not the average Chinese girl, that she has an independent mind of her own.

Don't break her heart. I know your feelings on marriage and I'm not saying marry the girl, but don't break her heart.

*makes sucking sound by drawing air between teeth*.

*folds hands behind back and leans in*

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Cantorsdust posted:

Chinese are different, you do not understand as you are not Chinese

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wanring!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wanring to rule them all, Wanring to find them,
Wanring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

No, that's the pinky as it (I guess) is an ideal size for snorting coke. Also just from pantomiming for a few seconds, the pinky works much better as a scoop than your thumbnail would.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cantorsdust posted:

lol

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Cantorsdust posted:

dude, stfu and let him entertain me with his fuckups

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ceciltron posted:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
*puttering along on scooter, notices some kanrenao*

*plants a foot and stops in middle of intersection*

*cranes neck to stare*

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Most electronics malls in KL are staffed by young ish Chinese guys and a lot of em have the single big nail going on and as far as I can tell it's for tearing open cellophane wrappers.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chaoshan Girl India Update 01:

*My phone rings at 08:20. I see it's Ms. CG*

Me: "HALLLOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU"
Her: "I LOST THEM"
Me: "What?"
Her: "I lost them. There are too many people. I don't know where they went."
Me: "Yeah, there's a lot of people in India."
Her: "I don't know why my phone works. I have no water. I have no money."
Me: "Why didn't you exchange your money at the airport?"
Her: "I could do that?"
Me: "Now you're going to get cheated by the exchange shops on the streets. You're silly."
Her: "OH MY GAH. I am so tired. I can't find *Chinese friends*."
Me: "Go use your Visa card at the ATM down the road, then you'll get money instantly. But, I don't know how to explain how to get there. It's too bad you don't have access to Google Maps, and only have Baidu."
Her: "I don't have Google!! How can I see a map? I have nothing. Ahhhhhhhhhhh."
Me: "Go take a shower, have a nap."
Her: "I think the water will electrocute me."
Me: "No, there is no hot water in your hotel, I can already guess it. Just go take a shower."
Her: "I can't, it's scary. You don't know."
Me: "I know, believe me."
Her: "But I lost them and I am here. I need water."
Me: "Then call their phone, since you can call me."
Her: "Okokokokok, 88."

Cantorsdust posted:

Cantorsdust posted:

LOL. She's fine. She definitely likes me, but she's a kid (23, which in China is like a child), and very up and down. Stability is not a known trait for a majority of Mainlanders, but especially in young Chinese. She'll burn out on her own.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Accretionist posted:

I saw a male Chinese internal student with a long thumbnail. Like an inch. A quick googling suggests this is an oldschool 'I don't do manual labor' symbol. Is this something you occasionally see on men in China?

At least in Chengdu it's not occasionally. I don't spend a ton of time checking out dude's hands but I'd say the majority have long nails. Taxi driver last night had all ten long ones and filed to points.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I'm imagining a Nora Ephron romantic comedy hijacked by the Farrelly Brothers who write in lots of diarrhea scenes and change the ending to a nihilistic one.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Accretionist posted:

My boss back in Chengdu had long, carefully-tended yellowy lady-type nails. And fake teeth. He was a creepy poo poo, too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
对不起, my name is Phil Clarke-Laoshi
I’m an expat Chinaboo (China fan for you gwailo). I draw Lotus flowers on silk, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Chinese games. (Mahjong, Legends of the Three Kingdoms, League of Legends)
I train with my Jian every day, this superior double-edged weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a billion times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth (especially katanas). I earned my Chinese sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.
I speak Chinese fluently, both Cantonese and Mandarin, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Chinese history and the Dao, which I follow 100%
When I get my Chinese visa, I am moving to Guangzhou to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become a Falun Gong trainer or a Kung Fu teacher!
I own several Changshan, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to China, so I can fit in easier. I spit on the ground, smoke Panda cigarettes and speak Cantonese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.
Wish me luck in China!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Quote your avant-garde sources

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I’m an expat Chinaboo (China fan for you gwailo). I draw Lotus flowers on silk, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Chinese games. (Mahjong, Legends of the Three Kingdoms, League of Legends)
I train with my Jian every day, this superior double-edged weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a billion times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth (especially katanas). I earned my Chinese sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.
I speak Chinese fluently, both Cantonese and Mandarin, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Chinese history and the Dao, which I follow 100%
When I get my Chinese visa, I am moving to Guangzhou to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become a Falun Gong trainer or a Kung Fu teacher!
I own several Changshan, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to China, so I can fit in easier. I spit on the ground, smoke Panda cigarettes and speak Cantonese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.
Wish me luck in China!

:laffo:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wish me luck in China!

Ahahaha

Mainlanders following the Dao is what did it in for me.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Wish me luck in China!
I know I am explaining/repeating the element of the joke, but LOL. It's sad/funny how much weebs are like this about Japan, China, and Korea. They all seem to have the same nostalgic fantasy based on movies, TV, games, and the internet. They will argue with you so hard and reeeeeeeee any time you might bring up actual experience. I looked at the Japan reddit a long time ago, and the down votes on any non-perfect or negative experience was intense. There are so many dumb white and non-Asian people that seem to believe that these countries are shrouded in mysticism and ancient philosophy, and everyone lives by some down-to-Earth almost-spiritual method that us foreigners can never understand. It's absolutely a modern day "Noble Savage" mentality that people used to have about Native Americans. They think they are going to be like Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves and bring their Western strengths into this backwards-yet-elegant culture and be accepted by all as they adopt their lives to fit their ancient mysterious ways.

The China-boos are hilarious, because all they have are the 5000 years of Chinese centuries, but nothing modern to really cling to the way the others can. Korea-boos and Weeaboos have pop culture and long list of modern elements to absorb, but Mainland China has zero pop culture worth following, and the China-boos have to rely on falsely propagated ancient myths and literary inventions of what China is/was supposed to be. At some point, if they can't fit their understanding of China to be exactly like a brush painting, they will buy into modern China propaganda, and the media's retarded representation of the illustrious and majestic achievements of modern China as a whole.
It's even worse in ABCs, who everyone knows make a sizeable portion of Wumaos online out of an absurd mental duty to support the place their parents escaped. One of my good friends in Hawaii got really, really into Mao and dressing like a Chinese red guard at times. His mom was from Hong Kong. He loving loved the idea of Chinese communism, but I don't think he'd ever researched it himself, or asked his mom how she felt about it. The first time I went to China I brought him a bunch of a garbage with Mao's face on it and he was elated.

I just wanted to say that because I have been dicking around in Wechat's "Shake" and "Message in a bottle" feature, and have talked to a few non-Chinese people that are loving weird as hell about China, and bought into every bit of the "good news" the media spreads. I was talking to this girl my age in Indonesia, and she utterly refused to believe I knew what I was talking about in regards to China. She's never left her island, but she said "maybe you just had a bad day" when I was telling my experiences about China, since she asked. Like, yeah, in all my time in China, I had a couple days where I was in a bad mood, and met some other bad mood Chinese people, and otherwise China is so perfect and functioning properly as a society.
I talked to a Romanian that was so excited that I had been to her two favorite places, China and India, and wanted to wax about how amazing she thought Asia is and how "Asians see the world in a way that Europeans forgot." I couldn't believe it. She kept going on about how even greetings in Japan and across Asia are so much more special and touching than "Hello." She told me how the old Chinese and Korean and Japanese people she met were so wise and great, and how those cultures truly respect old people, unlike in the West. I couldn't handle it, and I had to stop replying to her and delete her messages because there was absolutely no use in trying to discuss outside what she's built in her mind about Asia's noble savages.

On the upside, I matched with an Indian girl that had a lot of questions about China due to the political issues between the countries. I explained about face culture and she kept repeating how she could not believe that people would willingly choose to act that way. She accepted it, but it made her think of Mainlanders like aliens who loved self-abuse and to abuse others. She just could not understand how society and humans would want to continue living in face culture, and teaching it to the new generations.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Bajaj posted:

I talked to a Romanian that was so excited that I had been to her two favorite places, China and India, and wanted to wax about how amazing she thought Asia is and how "Asians see the world in a way that Europeans forgot." I couldn't believe it. She kept going on about how even greetings in Japan and across Asia are so much more special and touching than "Hello." She told me how the old Chinese and Korean and Japanese people she met were so wise and great, and how those cultures truly respect old people, unlike in the West. I couldn't handle it, and I had to stop replying to her and delete her messages because there was absolutely no use in trying to discuss outside what she's built in her mind about Asia's noble savages.

Maybe she was a Dracula. Sounds like one of those really sentimental types Anne Rice writes about, waxing nostalgic about how great life was centuries ago. I imagine some Transylvanian peasant girl would've had her mind blown by the Orient and developed a really glowing view of it. Now she's sitting in her castle, totally ignorant of how those places have changed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hi there I've been dating my girlfriend for six months I just found out that she's pregnant. We are pretty happy and nervous at the same time. She told me that she needs to get married before she announces she pregnant. Then started breaking down crying. In the Chinese culture is it frowned upon? I do love this girl, but in America it's also frowned upon to marry when you haven't been dating for a couple years. What exactly do you think we should do? I really do want to marry her, but why rush it because we found out she's pregnant? I told her as long as we are happy she shouldn't care what her friends/family think. What do you guys think? We are in the United States as well

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bajaj posted:

On the upside, I matched with an Indian girl

And so it begins.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/aznidentity/comments/73rrpg/radical_wmaf_terrorism_strikes_again_wmaf_couple/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

One of my first thoughts when I heard this news is "I wonder if the shooter had a relationship with an asian female?"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The shooter was identified as 64 year-old white male Stephen Paddock, her roommate and probable boyfriend. The two are pictured together. My guess is that they had an open arrangement like many WMAF marriages do.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

The shooter was identified as 64 year-old white male Stephen Paddock, her roommate and probable boyfriend. The two are pictured together. My guess is that they had an open arrangement like many WMAF marriages do.

Why is this so common? Genuinely curious, not being sarcastic. I can certainly take a guess, but I'd like to know for sure.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Hi there I've been dating my girlfriend for six months I just found out that she's pregnant. We are pretty happy and nervous at the same time. She told me that she needs to get married before she announces she pregnant. Then started breaking down crying. In the Chinese culture is it frowned upon? I do love this girl, but in America it's also frowned upon to marry when you haven't been dating for a couple years. What exactly do you think we should do? I really do want to marry her, but why rush it because we found out she's pregnant? I told her as long as we are happy she shouldn't care what her friends/family think. What do you guys think? We are in the United States as well

ABORTION

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, what is it that's so common? Mass shootings?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Well, you see, America has a little bit of a problem with gun control...

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

McGavin posted:

Well, you see, America has a little bit of a problem with gun control...

stop politicising gunssssssssss

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Does anyone remember that thread where a guy knocked up his Japanese girlfriend and kept calling sex "sekkusu"? Cuz sekkusu lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

stop politicising gunssssssssss

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Bajaj posted:

The China-boos are hilarious, because all they have are the 5000 years of Chinese centuries, but nothing modern to really cling to the way the others can. Korea-boos and Weeaboos have pop culture and long list of modern elements to absorb, but Mainland China has zero pop culture worth following, and the China-boos have to rely on falsely propagated ancient myths and literary inventions of what China is/was supposed to be. At some point, if they can't fit their understanding of China to be exactly like a brush painting, they will buy into modern China propaganda, and the media's retarded representation of the illustrious and majestic achievements of modern China as a whole.

Definitely the hardest part about studying Chinese is this. There's nothing interesting as far as contemporary goes. Taiwan is better, but most everybody is mainland or obsessed with the mainland.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Wish me luck in China!

is the weeb one or the japanese guy wanting to come to America to become a cowboy the first of this series? This thing has been going around for like 15 years and its origin is lost to the mists of time for me

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I think the japanese USA-aboo was the original, but I may have my shitposting lore crossed with the "im looking for a kawaii(cute) bento box" post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It can't be from Corea (Korea).

• Locked thread