Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You might even say it's..........................decent..................................!!!!

son of a bitch

e: Descent 2 was horrible tho

e2: gently caress now I think I have to rewatch The Descent. probably ought to get some alcohol too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
dawwwwww im in love with this couple from Train to Busan

This is a waaaay better version of Snowpiercer

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 2, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

dawwwwww im in love with this couple from Train to Busan

This is a waaaay better version of Snowpiercer

I agree, but you're inviting a world of pain into this thread by saying that!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I thought the opening credits were pretty rad with their WHAT YOU ARE HEARING ARE TRUE ACCOUNTS FROM REAL PEOPLE... SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND THIS FOOTAGE DISTURBING poo poo, but it got steadily worse after that up until an absolutely dreadful conclusion

That's what gave me that whole "2 hour pilot" vibe. At the end of the film I was like, man this isn't gonna get a season 2.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Kingsman movies are super uneven, but I dig that the second one literally ends with a black woman getting a seat at the table

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Between Green Room, Raw and now Gerald's Game, it feels like graphic hand related violence is the new it thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
CROSSPOSTING BECAUSE THIS IS AMAZING(ish)

god drat it i wish i had not left my phone at home (to take a pic of this)!!!!!!

i just walked down to the store to see my wife and get some beer, and walking out i saw a really nice new black car. "coo, coo coo coo" i thought, then i noticed it had a sticker on the side that said "to enslave and serve", which, okay, really into S&M but i am not in a position to judge that.

then i noticed it had a Decepticon thing in place of the car's make/model. lol.

THEN i noticed the license plate. "SHKWAVE"

i... i think michael bay is in san diego tonight

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Between Green Room, Raw and now Gerald's Game, it feels like graphic hand related violence is the new it thing.

Yoshikage Kira would not be pleased.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Degloving" is such a clinical term to describe what actually happens in such an injury

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

CROSSPOSTING BECAUSE THIS IS AMAZING(ish)

god drat it i wish i had not left my phone at home (to take a pic of this)!!!!!!

i just walked down to the store to see my wife and get some beer, and walking out i saw a really nice new black car. "coo, coo coo coo" i thought, then i noticed it had a sticker on the side that said "to enslave and serve", which, okay, really into S&M but i am not in a position to judge that.

then i noticed it had a Decepticon thing in place of the car's make/model. lol.

THEN i noticed the license plate. "SHKWAVE"

i... i think michael bay is in san diego tonight

He finished making transformers movies.'

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Degloving" is such a clinical term to describe what actually happens in such an injury

The act comes before the word and for unprofitable acts only those that try to fix the problem create the word.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

He finished making transformers movies.'

Also the quote is "to punish and enslave".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what gave me that whole "2 hour pilot" vibe. At the end of the film I was like, man this isn't gonna get a season 2.

I was still mostly with it through the second act due to residual good vibes from that opening and some of the initial endearingly haphazard idiocy around the actual plans for and outcomes of flatlining, but the moment where it lost me for sure was when the ghost just stabs the blond dude through the hand and we cut to a completely different scene where he's got a bandaged hand. It's such a puzzling disaster of editing that elides what should have by all reasoning been the most entertaining part of the scene

I also feel like the trailers really oversold how madcap it'd get - when you have people saying "how is she DOING that?" and "I'm gonna heal everyone I touch today!" I was waiting for people to flatline repeatedly until they got legit occult supernatural powers, with the "consequences" being like, demons of the near-death realm coming to collect on their debts. Hell, during the climactic sequence I was expecting Diego Luna's solution to be "flatline myself in order to Orpheus this departed soul back to the land of the living" instead of the treacly and staid nonsense we got

It's a movie that just kept hinting at more ridiculous and entertaining versions of itself, and those versions would be stone cold CineD cult classics. Instead it's like, who is this poo poo for, who did you assemble this surprisingly solid cast for

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, in the first third or so, I was vibing with it, like it was gonna turn into Limitless x We Are Your Friends. But the party scenes lost me immediately, they reminded me of that set footage of some movie where everybody is clubbing in total silence. It's just weird. In addition, they need to stop filiming these things in Toronto.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The debauchery of toying with death itself consists of baking twelve loaves of bread, drinking precisely one beer, and calling 911

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
WHAT I EXPECTED: Ambitious young medical students kill themselves over and over again in the name of occult power and sexual gratification

WHAT I GOT: You have to learn to forgive yourself. Self-love is the most important love of all. Eat - Pray - Kill Yourself

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/914285070881456129

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah hearing that the demons they're fighting in Flatliners were their past misdeeds or some bullshit made me instantly lose interest

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Gerald's Game is good so far. Reminds me of Hush a little bit.

Jenny Angel posted:

WHAT I EXPECTED: Ambitious young medical students kill themselves over and over again in the name of occult power and sexual gratification

WHAT I GOT: You have to learn to forgive yourself. Self-love is the most important love of all. Eat - Pray - Kill Yourself

Level up Chie Satonaka, until she learns bufu, use it in boss fights, die in your sleep

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah hearing that the demons they're fighting in Flatliners were their past misdeeds or some bullshit made me instantly lose interest

That's the premise of the original movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's the premise of the original movie.

Well I didn't know that either :sweatdrop:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Gerald's Game is good so far. Reminds me of Hush a little bit.

Same director.

Which is weird.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Your man is doing some interior decorating, so I need the highest quality math textbook cover art you've got.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Same director.

Which is weird.

That makes a lot of sense actually. It was way more traumatic than I expected it would be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Your man is doing some interior decorating, so I need the highest quality math textbook cover art you've got.

You trying to ward off children or something?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Why was a Soviet flag flying at a confederate rally?

this is proof that real life will always be funnier than any comedy that a person could write.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

e: this one's good

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 2, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

That makes a lot of sense actually. It was way more traumatic than I expected it would be.

It got under my skin a lot and stuck with me all thru the night.

It has that Movie of the Week vibe that actually works in its favor, imo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

It got under my skin a lot

Choice phrasing.

Any sort of slicing/cutting yucks me out, and the effects were super brutal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

Why was a Soviet flag flying at a confederate rally?

this is proof that real life will always be funnier than any comedy that a person could write.

I wish I could understand the beginning of what the lady arguing about the US losing wars says

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anonymous Robot posted:

enjoy

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So that's what he retired from acting to do, write calculus textbooks.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

a nice triptych for above the mantle

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The movie Get Out had a truly awful summary written on Wikipedia (more of a laundry list of scenes), despite being an adored film almost a year old. I just completely re-wrote it with more detail, so maybe some goons who missed it and don't have the time can now learn about this great and horrifying movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Out_(film)#Plot posted:

Black photographer Chris Washington reluctantly agrees to meet the parents of his white girlfriend Rose Armitage, unsure of a warm reception. During their drive towards the family's isolated countryside estate, a white policeman pulls over and seemingly profiles Chris. Rose intervenes and the encounter goes unrecorded.

Chris meets Rose's parents, neurosurgeon Dean and hypnotherapist Missy. Everyone tries to make Chris feel welcome — blunderingly. The unstable black housekeeper Georgina disturbs Chris and sabotages his phone charger. That night, after a bizarre run-in outside with black groundskeeper Walter, Missy catches Chris returning and offers therapy on the pretext of treating his cigarette use, having condemned that before. Chris humors her. His own mother's automobile death dominates the session. Missy furtively hypnotizes Chris; he feels himself fall through the chair, paralyzed in a void she calls "the sunken place". Chris awakens the next morning believing he had a nightmare, but later realizes that Missy has hypnotized him to quit smoking.

Dozens arrive for the Armitages' annual get-together, which Rose failed to warn Chris he would endure. Chris meets Logan, an unsettlingly familiar black man dating a much older white woman. Various older white couples take an uncanny interest in Chris and make uncomfortable remarks, such as one claiming to "know Tiger Woods", or that "black is in fashion", or adulating black figures. After enough micro-aggressions, Chris calls his best friend, black TSA Officer Rod Williams, about their unusual behavior and his hypnosis. He stealthily photographs Logan, but the phone flash causes Logan to enter a hysterical state with younger mannerisms, rushing Chris with a nosebleed and desperately yelling "get out". Dean claims Logan suffered an epileptic seizure. Skeptical, Chris takes Rose on a walk, and out of growing suspicion persuades her to end their stay. Meanwhile, Dean holds a mysterious auction elsewhere, a picture of Chris on display.

(Spoilers / Plot twists from the final act follow)

While packing to leave, Chris sends Logan's photo to Rod, who recognizes him as past acquaintance and missing person "Andre". Chris also finds photos of Rose in prior relationships with men and women, including Andre, Walter and Georgina, despite her claim that Chris was her first black boyfriend. Alarmed, Chris demands the car keys, but Rose and the whole family block him. Chris fights but is incapacitated by Missy's hypnosis. Faced with a large conspiracy but not fully grasping it, Rod goes to the police but is derided.

The "family reunion" was a secret society that gathers to harvest victims. Strapped to a chair, Chris is presented with Rose's grandfather on video, another neurosurgeon who announces the family has perfected a method of pseudo-immortality: Dean transplants brains of his invariably white older friends into bodies of younger black people, selected by Rose and hypnotically prepped by Missy. A slice of each victims' brain remains undiscarded, doomed to their "sunken place" as the host controls them. Jim Hudson, a blind art dealer, wants Chris's body so he can regain sight. When asked "why black people?", Jim shruggingly answers that everybody has their own reasons, facets of blackness they've encountered in life that they'd gladly appropriate. Chris plugs his ears with wads of stuffing pulled from the chair, blocking the hypnotic commands that render him unconscious. When Rose's brother Jeremy comes to collect him for the surgery, Chris escapes, killing Jeremy, Dean, and Missy.

While driving away, Chris hits Georgina. Guilt over his mother's death forces him to take the unconscious woman with him, but Georgina (whose body Rose's grandmother stole, as the grandfather stole Walter's) soon attacks him causing a crash, and dies. Rose and "Walter" catch up, but Chris successfully uses his phone's flash to free the real Walter, as with Logan earlier. Walter takes Rose's rifle and shoots her and then himself to prevent the grandfather from regaining control. Chris strangles Rose, but cannot bring himself to kill her as a police car pulls up. Rose cries out for help, hoping that Chris will be seen as the attacker, but the driver is Rod in a TSA vehicle. He and Chris drive away as Rose succumbs to her gunshot wound.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If they're not going to make Flatliners better, why not just do a tepid remake of Brainstorm, which is at least a good movie?

Oh jeez I get upset sometimes thinking about what Brainstorm could have been if Trumbull was ever able to make the 60fps theatrical presentation happen or if they ever did a remake at 48fps.

One of my assertions about 48fps was that it could have been a great movie technology if they focused on selling it as heightened reality instead of trying to sell it as closer to reality than 24fps, which nobody accepted. Films like Tron or Wizard of Oz... imagine if the films started at 24fps and then switched to 48 when the protagonist entered the fantasy world. Imagine Matrix starting at 48fps and switching to 24 in the real world. What if a film like Gladiator or Saving Private Ryan only used 48fps during battles the way they used fast shutters. What about scenes in films where somebody takes adrenaline or cocaine or meth!

Still shaking my head about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

lol so it's completely redundant with the first film then

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

48 fps is disgusting and gross, and awful in every way.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My biggest film-related regret from last year was sleeping on the 120fps 3D showings of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk at Film Society, if for no other reason than it sounded like a real fuckin weird time at the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If you know anybody who is currently on the strip in Las Vegas, now might be a good time to call or text them to make sure they're okay.

Multiple shooters with full auto weapons reported in numerous hotels. Twitter has about 100 videos of the attacks right now from every which angle. SWAT and Strike teams on site. One suspect captured already.

• Locked thread