Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So i don't think this belongs here but I don't know where else to put it.

https://twitter.com/biz/status/914329739988541440

So one of the founders of Twitter is getting Dog piled over not banning Trump and making a dozen of other changes to the platform but not doing anything substantive about harassment and he is trying to make it about "260 Characters is great guys, give it a chance!"

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes, I really do think the issue doesn't weigh on him. Otherwise he'd do something about it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BigRed0427 posted:

So one of the founders of Twitter is getting Dog piled over not banning Trump and making a dozen of other changes to the platform but not doing anything substantive about harassment and he is trying to make it about "260 Characters is great guys, give it a chance!"

hey biz try doing your job instead of :qq:ing about people asking you to do your job.

Also, shaun posted a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE84fH_Pc9c

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

How about a thread on the politics of social media platforms?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Equeen posted:

hey biz try doing your job instead of :qq:ing about people asking you to do your job.

Also, shaun posted a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE84fH_Pc9c

Another day another depressing video

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Equeen posted:

You have hereby been sentenced to five years of work in retail.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

BigRed0427 posted:

The Crazy Facebook/misc thread sort of doors?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ideologues on Social Media

somekindofguy posted:

You care, you lose libturds. That's how it works. All robot or nothing.

Having had these kinds of talks in real life, going Socratic is a solid option. Boy howdy do they not like being asked questions about why they think the way they do.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

The Crazy Facebook/misc thread sort of doors?

I was thinking less about the crazy people on Social Media and more like how Social Media is used. Like Facebook selling ad space to Russian astroturfers, or how Youtube's recent Ad changes affect creators.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 2, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i remember during the travyon martin case people kept sharing a picture of rapper the game (who's a big dude covered in tattoos including his face) and saying that's what travyon looked like. one person did that to me and i got mad so i looked up the actual death picture of trayvon to show them what he actually looked like.

also gently caress that person for saying tamir "pulled a gun" on a cop. he was 12 and he was already playing with the toy gun. the cop blasted him before his car even came to a complete stop holy poo poo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember during the travyon martin case people kept sharing a picture of rapper the game (who's a big dude covered in tattoos including his face) and saying that's what travyon looked like. one person did that to me and i got mad so i looked up the actual death picture of trayvon to show them what he actually looked like.

also gently caress that person for saying tamir "pulled a gun" on a cop. he was 12 and he was already playing with the toy gun. the cop blasted him before his car even came to a complete stop holy poo poo.

YEah, the Tamir Rice case is what got me to see Black Lives Matter was needed. Nothing like a shock to the system via white people you know defending the death of a 12 year old to wake the gently caress up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Goon Danton posted:

Having had these kinds of talks in real life, going Socratic is a solid option. Boy howdy do they not like being asked questions about why they think the way they do.

Agreed, it's especially effective on the irony/satire/"memeing" line.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

You have hereby been sentenced to five years of work in retail.

Did... Did you just compare owning Twitter to being a cashier somewhere? Because Im not sure I could even come up with more dissimilar jobs.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't it also allegedly tucked in his waistband? I seem to remember the police's own story boiling down to "we ordered a child to drop something he wasn't even holding, and then shot him when he reached for it."

Discendo Vox posted:

Agreed, it's especially effective on the irony/satire/"memeing" line.

It's also how I got a coworker to start ranting about Secret Black People Welfare one time! It is a fun game.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

"This issue weighs on us soon much you guys, Seriously! Nazi gold is HEAVY!"

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 2, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Did... Did you just compare owning Twitter to being a cashier somewhere? Because Im not sure I could even come up with more dissimilar jobs.

Not really. I just pretended that I read that out of context and that general mentality of entitlement was displayed. I do get somehow miffed at the idea of people who know nothing about X thing and tells them how to do their job though. I guess the owner of Twitter is an exception along with cops and politicians.

Midig fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 2, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Walter Scott and Philando Castile sealed the deal for me. I was aware that PoCs were dying at abnormal rates at the hands of police before this... but I had never seen it occur so blatantly before (probably because I wasn't paying attention). After that, I started seeing it everywhere, but also started seeing all the "no angel" bullshit too. I remember some turd burglar commenting on Castile's death mentioning that he and his wife had been smoking weed in the car and had exposed their 4-year-old daughter... that poo poo made me livid, but I wasn't entirely sure how to respond to that insane level of deflection and whataboutism. Like, how do you start explaining the basic ideas that punishments should fit crimes, that smoking weed in the car isn't a capital loving crime and that this is some insane level of racist deflection?

Goon Danton posted:

Any interesting/detailed examples of this?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Like, how do you start explaining the basic ideas that punishments should fit crimes, that smoking weed in the car isn't a capital loving crime and that this is some insane level of racist deflection?

The fun part is that one doesn't even have to be racism, so you've got a chance of even more bonkers defenses coming. There's still plenty of crazies in america who think a single joint is the gateway drug that leads to you mainlining heroin shortly after, so killing evil dopefiends is a mercy and you can't complain about any kind of extreme action inflicted upon you if you're on THE DRUGS.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

The fun part is that one doesn't even have to be racism, so you've got a chance of even more bonkers defenses coming. There's still plenty of crazies in america who think a single joint is the gateway drug that leads to you mainlining heroin shortly after, so killing evil dopefiends is a mercy and you can't complain about any kind of extreme action inflicted upon you if you're on THE DRUGS.

Winners Don't Do Drugs™ * †

* Unless you're white and on opiods
† Unless you're white and on coke

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Midig posted:

Not really. I just pretended that I read that out of context and that general mentality of entitlement was displayed. I do get somehow miffed at the idea of people who know nothing about X thing and tells them how to do their job though. I guess the owner of Twitter is an exception along with cops and politicians.
Do you think that Comcast is good at being an ISP because you know nothing about running an ISP? Do you think AT&T has good customer service because you have no idea how to run a multinational customer service department?

No of course not they're both self evidently terrible at their job because there are so many ready counter examples of people doing their job better. Believe it or not that are fucktons of company owners who are able to ban nazis without prodding. There are huge numbers of cops who get through their entire career without killing a kid for waiving around a squirt gun. There are plenty of politicians who don't try to murder poor people with their budget plans.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Any interesting/detailed examples of this?

Basically any example is going to sound like stdh.txt, but the basic idea is to act well meaning but confused, and make them be the one to point out the bigotry directly. If someone tells a racist joke, instead of calling them out for being racist, act like you don't get it and ask them to explain it. The joke might revolve around the idea that black people are lazy, but they most likely won't want to say "it's funny, because black people are lazy" out loud.

These things mostly work in every day conversations, rather than formal debates like the "Sargon vs random liberal" thing.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
When do we sally our goon asses forth to force another "Very Difficult Decision"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was odd how silent the nra was after the murder of philando castile. wonder why that was.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Busy selling guns to paranoid loons who think this will be the one where the Goverment finally passes some actual gun legislation.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Has anyone hear ever listened to the Dogma Debate? It's an atheist-type podcast that's been around for may seven or eight years. Anyone, the host David Smalley used to avoid social justice issues, at least on his podcast, for the most part. But it seems like Trump's taking office has turned him into one of those "I'm not a conservative, but doesn't the 'far-left' suck?" types:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dogmadebate/2017/10/left-killing-language/

quote:

How the Left is Killing Language

quote:

In fact, I think most people who are left of center (like myself), will agree with the majority of what I’ll say here. They’re just silent. Because they don’t want to be the focus of the next mob attack.

Remember when we didn’t mind that?

Remember when we would rise up together to fight against religious privilege and demand equality for everyone, even though it was the unpopular opinion?

Remember when we were the voice of tolerance?

Remember when we welcomed discussions with people we disagreed with?

What happened to you? Why do you now sit, watching the injustice unfold and scroll past it?

Nazi, Rapist, Sexual Predator, Token, Racist, Fascist, Bigot, White Supremacist… at one time, these were major insults. But thanks to the Screeching Left, they’re becoming meaningless.

quote:

Ben Carson, Stacey Dash, and Sheriff Clark: all three of whom are black, were labeled as “White Supremacists” for supporting Trump.

Gad Saad: a Jew, was labeled as “a Nazi” for standing up for free speech, even for those with whom he disagrees.

Candace Owens: (AKA Red Pill Black) a black woman, was charged with “perpetuating rape culture” for saying that a judge in a rape case shouldn’t receive death threats, and she was labeled a “Coon” for supporting Trump.

quote:

Now, I don’t necessarily agree with every one of their statements or positions, and I’m certainly not a Trump supporter. But labeling these people as Nazis, misogynists, tokens, and Uncle Toms, for having different opinions on basic social or political issues, is just absurd.

Name-calling shuts down conversations.

quote:

With every Classical Liberal or Conservative or Libertarian that you call a Nazi, you’re diminishing the plight of every Jew who faced actual Nazis in the Holocaust.

When a man has too much to drink and says inappropriate things to a woman, and even tries to make a move—and then you label him a rapist, you’re diminishing the plight of actual victims of rape and sexual assault who were violently attacked, and have to live with that trauma every day.

When a waiter calls you “beautiful” as they hand you a drink, you may be annoyed, but you weren’t a victim of sexual harassment, and that’s not evidence that this guy was a “sexual predator.”

Just some choice quotes here. Kinda disappointing since I used to really like his blog. But then again, when the Sandy Hook shooting occurred, he actually took the "it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" line seriously and actually used it to defend gun rights in the show after the tragedy. So I guess maybe I was expecting too much?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

This person is like a living embodiment of calmhitler.jpg.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was odd how silent the nra was after the murder of philando castile. wonder why that was.

You have the right to keep and bear arms, and the police have the right to straight up murder you if they think you might be exercising that right. Provided you're a certain kind of person, of course.

nickmeister posted:

Has anyone hear ever listened to the Dogma Debate? It's an atheist-type podcast that's been around for may seven or eight years. Anyone, the host David Smalley used to avoid social justice issues, at least on his podcast, for the most part. But it seems like Trump's taking office has turned him into one of those "I'm not a conservative, but doesn't the 'far-left' suck?" types:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dogmadebate/2017/10/left-killing-language/

Just some choice quotes here. Kinda disappointing since I used to really like his blog. But then again, when the Sandy Hook shooting occurred, he actually took the "it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" line seriously and actually used it to defend gun rights in the show after the tragedy. So I guess maybe I was expecting too much?

A huge chunk of the nu-atheist crowd sank into the abyss in the past few years. All it took was for the conservative movement to stop being quite so explicitly Evangelical Christian, and they hopped on board right next to the people they cut their chops mocking.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goon Danton posted:

A huge chunk of the nu-atheist crowd sank into the abyss in the past few years. All it took was for the conservative movement to stop being quite so explicitly Evangelical Christian, and they hopped on board right next to the people they cut their chops mocking.

imo nerdy white guys who got super torn up about being oppressed by religion were just very early to get all steamed about privilege arguments and dont know what to do now that they've "won"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I feel like a big chunk of it comes from the fact that they never had to come up with their own arguments in the religious debates. Most of them just borrowed points from previous (better) thinkers, or intuitively noticed bad arguments, so they never actually learned the critical thinking skills they should have been developing. Then another set of arguments runs afoul of their intuitions, but this time it's due to their own privilege rather than the argument being flawed. They're not prepared to critically engage with the argument or examine their own biases, but they are prepared to echo each other's arguments and drop sick logic burns, so they go with the path they've always known.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

quote:

Ben Carson, Stacey Dash, and Sheriff Clark: all three of whom are black, were labeled as “White Supremacists” for supporting Trump.

Gad Saad: a Jew, was labeled as “a Nazi” for standing up for free speech, even for those with whom he disagrees.

Candace Owens: (AKA Red Pill Black) a black woman, was charged with “perpetuating rape culture” for saying that a judge in a rape case shouldn’t receive death threats, and she was labeled a “Coon” for supporting Trump.

This is just identity politics pointed in the other direction.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do you think that Comcast is good at being an ISP because you know nothing about running an ISP? Do you think AT&T has good customer service because you have no idea how to run a multinational customer service department?

Well, I don't know a lot about either of those things. But it's different to have a certain opinion about food, customer service etc. and another thing to say a person is doing something wrong because they don't meet your specific demands. By entitled dickwad standards, 50 percent of football referees are cunts who should be fired for doing their jobs wrong.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are huge numbers of cops who get through their entire career without killing a kid for waiving around a squirt gun. There are plenty of politicians who don't try to murder poor people with their budget plans.

Thanks for repeating exactly what I said though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Won't someone please think of the poor, oppressed CEOs? :rolleyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

I mean if you vote for a white supremacist you are a white supremacist, you are supporting white supremacist policies...

Yet more people not understanding that these things aren't identities, they're descriptors.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dmitri-9 posted:

sorta, but these people openly support rear end in a top hat who would gently caress over their various ethnicties and they are fine with it because they have "made it" and are "useful".

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

The important question we should all be asking today is: how can we make sure Twitter goes down with Trump whenever he finally implodes?

Gotta get something good out of this presidency.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Midig posted:

Well, I don't know a lot about either of those things. But it's different to have a certain opinion about food, customer service etc. and another thing to say a person is doing something wrong because they don't meet your specific demands. By entitled dickwad standards, 50 percent of football referees are cunts who should be fired for doing their jobs wrong.

"This person enables hate speech and targeted attacks on minorities and other vulnerable persons because he doesn't want his company to lose money" is exactly like "the sports team I support had a call made against them I don't agree with."

I'm very glad you're here to draw these amazing parallels and show us the light.

You loving god-damned windowlicker.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You wanna give me the job of king ethics man at twitter I'll do it for a ham sandwich and a handjob and I'll do it better than that duder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"sheriff clarke" should replace the term uncle tom.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Yes, I really do think the issue doesn't weigh on him. Otherwise he'd do something about it.

They're building a bunker so twitter can continue when the rest of the earth is nuclear ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Midig posted:

How is a customer service any different than "specific demands". How is a politicians voting to end my relative's healthcare any less malicious/incompetent than the ISP that decides to give their techs a script instead of a computer? In both cases they are objectively terrible at their jobs when compared to you know politicians who don't want to murder people and ISPs that give their techs actual computers with troubleshooting tools.

Midig posted:

Thanks for repeating exactly what I said though.
No I'm saying exactly the opposite of what you're saying. Because there are plenty of cops who don't murder people we are completely justified in judging those that do. There are plenty of politicans who don't vote to kill people, so we condemn the ones that do. It's not hard to get.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 3, 2017

• Locked thread