Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Oh, wait, that's Feline Longmore

what a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I feel fortunate that all of my opponents have been normal people

Even on xmage people have been generally polite and helpful

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I feel fortunate that all of my opponents have been normal people

Even on xmage people have been generally polite and helpful

:same: I can't think of too many times where an opponent has explicitly been an rear end in a top hat. I do feel weird if I beat someone and they don't offer a handshake though (:can:), because I can never tell if they're actually upset or if they just don't think it's necessary to do.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I played against an extremely sad dude at the pre-release. He mulligan'd to 5 each game and didn't really ever put anything out there. He never smiled and every time I tapped mana and played a spell he just shook his head.

After beating him 2-0 I held out my hand. "Good game."

He looked up, sighed, shook his head. "Not really." Then he gave me a weak, limp handshake and began packing his things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol this Osyp and Owen interaction is great:

https://clips.twitch.tv/JoyousKitschyMallardDoritosChip

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

rabidsquid posted:

i toss a basic land into the air and fire "i concede" into it with my six shooter

Same, but with a mint Alpha Black Lotus

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zemyla posted:

Same, but with a mint Alpha Black Lotus

friend, i dont want to call you a liar but there arent enough bullets in a black lotus to fire that entire phrase into a basic land

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Decklists from the first standard event are up. Temur energy, UW approach and mono red are as big as predicted but sultai energy with hostage taker ended up winning it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C-Euro posted:

:same: I can't think of too many times where an opponent has explicitly been an rear end in a top hat. I do feel weird if I beat someone and they don't offer a handshake though (:can:), because I can never tell if they're actually upset or if they just don't think it's necessary to do.

Something I've noticed that's different in the x wing minis community vs magic is that everyone will shake hands and say good luck before a match even starts. Idk when it started but I remember I've been doing it for years now so maybe it's been like that since the start. It sets the tone and I've been doing it in magic now too. It also makes it really easy to extend the handshake afterwards too, win or lose. I think if we all start doing something as simple as that, maybe we'd get less sour people in this dumb game. :shrug:

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

uninverted posted:

Decklists from the first standard event are up. Temur energy, UW approach and mono red are as big as predicted but sultai energy with hostage taker ended up winning it.

Good job carnage tyrant, living up to your presale price already

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

bigperm posted:

I played against an extremely sad dude at the pre-release. He mulligan'd to 5 each game and didn't really ever put anything out there. He never smiled and every time I tapped mana and played a spell he just shook his head.

After beating him 2-0 I held out my hand. "Good game."

He looked up, sighed, shook his head. "Not really." Then he gave me a weak, limp handshake and began packing his things.

I really don't want to start a thing, but honestly if someone has lovely rando shuffling gently caress them over two games in a row, saying "GG" is kind of lovely. Just say "sorry man I know your deck didn't cooperate" and let them be salty. One of the worst things about Magic is when you don't get to actually play because of randomization.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I really don't want to start a thing, but honestly if someone has lovely rando shuffling gently caress them over two games in a row, saying "GG" is kind of lovely. Just say "sorry man I know your deck didn't cooperate" and let them be salty. One of the worst things about Magic is when you don't get to actually play because of randomization.

I'm like 90% sure that's some copypasta that's started arguments in this thread before.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

jassi007 posted:

This guy played my brother in the first round right next to me and was the exact same. Mulled to 5 twice and was never salty... just sad. Eeyore style.

The match I had before I played him, I got my rear end handed to me by a teenager whose deck popped off and I flooded out twice. I congratulated him on the win, because you know - sportsmanship and all that. I didn't need to wallow because I don't equate my self worth with my win percentage. Lol if you do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

I mean we all accept that we're playing a variance-laden game here. We're not playing chess or Go.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

lol this Osyp and Owen interaction is great:

https://clips.twitch.tv/JoyousKitschyMallardDoritosChip

i really hope to see more of Osyp. I haven't seen him at all since they took him off the SCG coverage team

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/popeye-stompy/

Pretty great tbh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Something I've noticed that's different in the x wing minis community vs magic is that everyone will shake hands and say good luck before a match even starts. Idk when it started but I remember I've been doing it for years now so maybe it's been like that since the start. It sets the tone and I've been doing it in magic now too. It also makes it really easy to extend the handshake afterwards too, win or lose. I think if we all start doing something as simple as that, maybe we'd get less sour people in this dumb game. :shrug:

Yeah I am God-awful at small talk (in any setting) but I try to chat up the other person for a few moments at the start of a match. It is, ultimately, just a silly pretend-wizard game and I do my best to treat it as such.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Can someone who plays legacy tell me why this deck is good because it looks awful.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

Can someone who plays legacy tell me why this deck is good because it looks awful.

lmao

hm well actually *stifling laughter* there's a lot of little synergies in the deck. saprazzan skerry and skyship plunderer are a good combo and *haha* you can uptick your chalice of the void in a pinchhahahaha

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

That's the joke, they spread a bunch of rumors about a potential Pirate-based Legacy deck and now Rishadan Brigand is :20bux: because mtgfinance.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it's good because Ramirez dipietro is a powerful pirate

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Somebody didn't read past the decklist

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hostage taker currently at 18$.

That isn't going to last long, but of the few things I didn't preorder at 4 dollars that is the one. I just couldn't see it being great with lightning strike and abrade everywhere.
Got proven wrong.

It will probably stabilize around 9-11$

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Hostage taker currently at 18$.

That isn't going to last long, but of the few things I didn't preorder at 4 dollars that is the one. I just couldn't see it being great with lightning strike and abrade everywhere.
Got proven wrong.

It will probably stabilize around 9-11$

Hostage Taker is a two-color rare with zero eternal playability. It's not staying at Walking Ballista prices.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm having a conniption over The Scarab God being $40 a hit. I am not buying a Standard-legal card for that much that's going to tank the moment it rotates. I don't care if it wins me a god damned Pro Tour--gently caress that noise.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not going below ~$20 ever because of commander.

Also I'm loving the zero copies of Carnage Tyrant in that top 64, delicious.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 2, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not going below ~$20 ever because of commander.

Also I'm loving the zero copies of Carnage Tyrant in that top 64, delicious.

au contraire

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116341

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rides Naked posted:

Good job carnage tyrant, living up to your presale price already

clearly carnage tyrant is the card pros are hiding for the pro tour

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Somebody didn't read past the decklist

look just because the mans illiterate doesn't mean you have to kick him when he's down

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Hellsau posted:

That's the joke, they spread a bunch of rumors about a potential Pirate-based Legacy deck and now Rishadan Brigand is :20bux: because mtgfinance.

quote:

I won't say that no harm came out of it, as there were some speculators who went out to drive up the price of Rishadan Brigand. To you, I apologize. Maybe test your specs before buying next time?

:capitalism:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Honestly the fact that Thunder Bluff v2.0 caused a bad Mercadian Masques bulk rare to spike to $20 is pretty funny

e: holy poo poo Thunder Bluff was over a decade ago

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This game is proof that a completely unregulated market can never work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LGD posted:

Honestly the fact that Thunder Bluff v2.0 caused a bad Mercadian Masques bulk rare to spike to $20 is pretty funny

lol wait he's done this before???

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

LGD posted:

Which card are you talking about? Haunting Echoes, or Eternal Dragon?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
At FNM, I drafted a moderately okay Red-White Dino Aggro deck. I drafted a green splash with the 5-mana R/G 5/5 that pings everything on ETB, but I didn't have any other green payoffs so I decided that my better game plan was to lean on the aggro aspect and avoid the splash.

Guy that did work: the W 0/3 that reduces Dino costs - I leaned HARD on him one match when I got stuck on 2 lands, then 3 lands. I think I cast three 3-drops on 2 lands, and two 4-drops on three lands.

Guy that did less work: the W 1/1 that reveals Dino for lifegain on upkeep, and can sac to find a Dino. Since I didn't have a gamewinning bomb the ability wasn't very relevant. He ended up being okay as a 1/1 in a few matches, but life gain obviously is less relevant to an aggro deck.

I had one of the 1W 3/1, a couple 2R 4/2, a bunch of other filler, and the 4RR 5/4 with Enrage-Bolt your opponent, and 5W 3/5 with Enrage-Spread +1/+1 to team.

What was surprisingly good was Makeshift Munitions - 1R enchantment with 1, Sac a Creature/Artifact: Deal 1 damage to creature/player

I eked out one game that the opponent was about to turn around by swinging 4 guys into 3 blockers, letting my 1/1 through, and then flinging the three dudes at his face before it got eaten by blocks, then the 1/1 after combat.

I did get to live the Ixalan's Binding dream against a Dino Ramp opponent. Turn 5 he ramped out the 6/6 trample. Turn 6 he cast the 8-mana dino lord that can make dinos, and swung 4/3 and 7/7. I used the 4W kill attacker, draw card to kill the 7/7, then on my turn used Ixalan's Binding to take care of the DinoLord. I was a little bummed that I wouldn't get that sweet value like if I had used it on a common, but whatever, I had to take care of it. When I cast the Binding, he leaned back and showed me the second copy of the DinoLord in his hand, that he now couldn't cast. Ran him over with a combat trick while he flooded out.

I never did get to live the dream of Hijack into Munitions sac.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

So, i'm coming back to mtg after ..uh, 17 years? Bought a box of Kaladesh to draft for fun with some friends but eventually want to start playing constructed, especially now that there's a "new" standard.

I'm thinking that i should probably buy a playset of most non-basic lands ... or is that dumb? Mostly, i don't really like playing one deck over and over so i'd like to have options to build other stuff.

(If i had to choose a deck, i'd probably go for one of those Energy decks but still ...uh, researching...)

EDIT: ok, someone on another forum told me that prices for lands are usually stable so i don't really need to go full out on buying ALL the lands. Hmm.

madstrike fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 2, 2017

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

:master:

God I want to know who ended up with a pile of 100's of Rishadan Brigands

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

toadee posted:

:master:

God I want to know who ended up with a pile of 100's of Rishadan Brigands

Self owning of MTG finance idiots are one of the best things in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
On the one hand I so badly wanted there to be a real viable Pirate deck in Legacy, but on the other hand lol get dunked on mtgfinance crew.

madstrike posted:

So, i'm coming back to mtg after ..uh, 17 years? Bought a box of Kaladesh to draft for fun with some friends but eventually want to start playing constructed, especially now that there's a "new" standard.

I'm thinking that i should probably buy a playset of most non-basic lands ... or is that dumb? Mostly, i don't really like playing one deck over and over so i'd like to have options to build other stuff.

(If i had to choose a deck, i'd probably go for one of those Energy decks but still ...uh, researching...)

EDIT: ok, someone on another forum told me that prices for lands are usually stable so i don't really need to go full out on buying ALL the lands. Hmm.

Generally if you want to get into Constructed it's best to pick a deck you want to play and just buy up the individual cards for it. But if you want to buy playsets of certain cards and then go from there lands are always a safe bet. The two-color lands in Ixalan are actually reprints from a couple of earlier sets so they should be fairly cheap to acquire.