Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:

As someone who vaguely remembers the flaws of old emulators I feel like Capcom's sound fonts or whatever were a problem for a while. I remember being very bothered by the music in Demon's Crest and the doors in the MMX games in some ancient version of ZSNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:

A bit of a guess, MIDI and similar digital music systems can often have a lot of device-specific fuckery in terms of the coding used to implement effects, and this can convert really strangely sometimes if you're using the wrong device. I know I had some MIDI files intended to be used with expanded instrument sets (like Yamaha GM and Roland GS stuff) and some files would do funky stuff to mimic sound effects; these would turn into pianos and saxophones on devices that didn't know what it was. You got the same thing in the later DOS days when many MIDI devices had a more standardized "General MIDI" instrument order while older games had composed their MIDI tracks around the proprietary "Roland MT-32" instrument order. Like this scene in Ultima VII's intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpYaZXHyp8g&t=42s

on newer MIDI devices the "sound effect" of The Guardian's face morphing through the screen was instead saxophones hitting sour notes.

My guess is that song does something a tad weird coding-wise that the emulator coder failed to account for, I half-expect if you fished up some older versions of ZSNES/SNES9x, especially on DOS, you'd probably find something similar going on there, and someone who's coded and/or worked with emulator sound systems might know more about what the mistake is.

Now we just have to wait for Nintendo to fix it and release a downloadable patch and...oh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After seeing LGR'S MIDI video, I really want something like that now.

I have a CD called MIDI Power Pro 5: Salamander that came with a floppy disk of some of the CD's tracks. The music on the CD is a recording of the music played with Yamaha equipment and if to you have the same setup, the music on the floppy disk will sound exactly the same.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The new thread title is fantastic

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Speaking of the GameCube, is anyone ever going to reverse-engineer the component cables?

Maybe I don't want HDMI :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can play GameCube over component on Wii......but yeah you're screwed for gba player

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Did they use a bad dump? :v: SNES audio is basically a midi or a MOD system, it's samples on the cart streamed to the SPC700, it should not be like that unless Capcom did some unique undocumented things and this and only this emulator doesn't support them.

I want to get a big fat Kurzweil to use as a general midi bank slave again, that was some overkill.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The SNES SPU actually has a reasonable amount of power besides only playing samples, and probably the emulator doesn't perfectly handle the modulation and reverb functions.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Discount Viscount posted:

The SNES Classic has at least one audio issue that I ran into tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2FAD_AA-Q

what the gently caress

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Sir Tonk posted:

Speaking of the GameCube, is anyone ever going to reverse-engineer the component cables?

There are a few devices coming out that lets you use Wii component cables or HDMI. The guys over at BadAssConsoles are working on a plug n play adapter for both the Wii component cables and another one for HDMI that may come out in the next year or so. Someone already released a HDMI plug n play, but their design was iffy and they ignored advice from others (like the guys at BadAssConsoles) and released it anyway. Well, the youtuber MetalJesusRocks got one and it fried his GC when a friend snagged on a controller wire and it got unplugged while powered on. One of the pins shorted and fried the console. Apparently that person is finally fixing the design but I won't trust it and just wait for the BAC guys to release theirs in due time since he blatantly ignored advice about that issue from others.

These devices are plug n play into the digital port and actually does audio over HDMI as well somehow. There are internal boards you can install as well (both into GC with digital port or a GC with analog only) that lets you use HDMI, BAC sell them now.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 2, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can play GameCube over component on Wii......but yeah you're screwed for gba player

Yeah that's basically the only reason I want it.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Sir Tonk posted:

Like https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo ?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MrLonghair posted:

it should not be like that unless Capcom did some unique undocumented things and this and only this emulator doesn't support them.

Capcom audio work was notoriously slapdash on SNES and it wouldn't surprise me if they're the anomaly here.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm being triggered by the capitalized Go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's how it is in the snes Classic rom dump. You are being triggered by accuracy my friend.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder how the rest of the tracks compare?

All of the normal stage themes sound fine. I didn't go through all the endings.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's how it is in the snes Classic rom dump. You are being triggered by accuracy my friend.

It's shoddy work leaving a conjunction dangling like a weed like that :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're French, it can't be helped.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sure, but something that I can buy like the OSSC

If that's what badassconsoles is working on selling, then great.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

From their FAQ
"* Plug-n-Play requires a proper connector which can withstand long term use and uphold to some very minor physical abuse. There is no source available for these type of connectors since it is not an off-the-shelf product. The connector will need to be factory produced to ensure all conditions and specifications are met. Profits from sales during Phase 1 and Phase 2 will be used to fund the production of a proper connector. For anyone waiting for a Plug-n-Play solution, please be thankful to all who have purchased during Phase 1 and Phase 2 to make this happen."

I have a spare GC without the digital port. Part of me wants to get the internal solution for that and then later get the plug n play for mine with the digital port (component on my CRT). But eh, I have a Retron5 I can use GB/GBC/GBA games in on my HD tv.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember accurate sound being a problem for a long rear end time in SNES emulators. I don't think it was necessarily because it was hard to get right as much as it was just a low priority for emulator authors because it didn't really affect playability. I was particular enough over that kind of poo poo for it to drive me absolutely nuts, though.

Not all of it was as bad or obvious as that Street Fighter music clip. As far as I can remember, most music was actually fine, but certain sound effects were off for pretty much every game I played. Accurate sound emulation is why I ended up using fairly obscure emulator SnesGT for a while over any of the other ones available at the time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Where can I get a clip of the howling wind effect used in FF6 and Chrono Trigger that sounded like a weirdass digital WHOOoooOooOoOAAOOO noise on older versions of snes9x? That was the way I first experienced those games back in like '02-'04 and for the longest time I didn't realise that wasn't what it was supposed to sound like.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
https://twitter.com/johnlhardin/status/914643660473430018

Finally, an accurate paint job for the SNES Classic Mini.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the grodulated buttons are the best thing

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Haha, ya. And the fact that he left the reset button pristine while the eject and power are gunky.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Instant Sunrise posted:

https://twitter.com/johnlhardin/status/914643660473430018

Finally, an accurate paint job for the SNES Classic Mini.

This is amazing. :allears:

I hope it's also full of ~32oz of dried soda, and several families of dead spiders.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The nostalgia is hitting me pretty hard and now I'm thinking about buying a couple of used GBA SPs, a link cable, Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green, and a Gameshark.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Mak0rz posted:

I remember accurate sound being a problem for a long rear end time in SNES emulators. I don't think it was necessarily because it was hard to get right as much as it was just a low priority for emulator authors because it didn't really affect playability. I was particular enough over that kind of poo poo for it to drive me absolutely nuts, though.

Not all of it was as bad or obvious as that Street Fighter music clip. As far as I can remember, most music was actually fine, but certain sound effects were off for pretty much every game I played. Accurate sound emulation is why I ended up using fairly obscure emulator SnesGT for a while over any of the other ones available at the time.

Yeah I remember the sound effects being off in Mega Man X on SNES9x but fine in ZSNES (or was it vice versa?) It's also off in the PS2 version of the Mega Man X Collection, but fine on the Gamecube one (although the music still loops improperly.)

Now that I finally have a capture card I kinda want to go through a few of the game compilations I have and do more comparison videos.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is generally considered a good price range for Sony PVMs?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What is generally considered a good price range for Sony PVMs?

Interest and perceived value has gone up considerably. It's hard to get anything decent without significant price gouging but that's :retrogames:. If you don't need 480p support (Dreamcast, GameCube, some PS2), you can get away with less but it's getting harder. Like 8 inch PVMs usually show up for 100 bucks on Craigslist in my area (Southern California). I'd recommend calling around any sort of TV studio, surplus warehouses, electronics recycling or even hospitals (some Olympus models are rebadged Sony PVMs) in your area but they're probably already cleaned out and in the hands of those looking to make a quick buck.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for 100 bucks for a 14". That's not too hard to attain and if you don't need 480p support than you can almost get anything with RGB inputs and be generally happy. 20" is where things get expensive fast. $200 is the least I've seen going up to around $350. Age of the unit becomes a factor in price as well. These units being sold out there that are from the 90's and even older. Newer models (like the ones I'll talk about shortly) ran up to the mid-00's. If you want 480p support, then that's another :can:. You're looking at PVM-xxL5 series and some BVMs. Those are super expensive now that everyone wants them. A PVM-14L5 can command around $400 and up while the 20" can easily double that. I'm not versed on the BVMs but they're roughly around there or more. I got really lucky getting a 14L5 for a 100 bucks from a commercial (infomercial?) studio last year.

One final note, I would not recommend having a PVM shipped. Most sellers don't pack it correctly despite expensive shipping costs. Even worse for those who offer free shipping, you can be sure it'll be wrapped in tissue. The least that can happen is that it gets tossed around and knocks the PVM's calibration out of whack or breaks the chassis, internals or even the glass. If you're committed to having one shipped, do not have it shipped through FedEx or UPS and consider freight.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I hate admitting that I would consider selling my PVM if someone actually wanted to pay me $800 for it, heh

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a service somewhere that does the original Xbox repair for the corroded traces that cause the power button to freak out? I think mine is doing that.

Or, anyone live near the IL/WI border and wanna fix it for me at a reasonable rate? I'm a shameful nerd who never learned to solder.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

Where can I get a clip of the howling wind effect used in FF6 and Chrono Trigger that sounded like a weirdass digital WHOOoooOooOoOAAOOO noise on older versions of snes9x? That was the way I first experienced those games back in like '02-'04 and for the longest time I didn't realise that wasn't what it was supposed to sound like.

My emulator test has always been Secret of Mana which is I think the mana beast's cry but on bad hardware it sounds like the wind or someone with an upset tummy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

HAT FETISH posted:

ZSNES, but here you go.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

One final note, I would not recommend having a PVM shipped. Most sellers don't pack it correctly despite expensive shipping costs. Even worse for those who offer free shipping, you can be sure it'll be wrapped in tissue. The least that can happen is that it gets tossed around and knocks the PVM's calibration out of whack or breaks the chassis, internals or even the glass. If you're committed to having one shipped, do not have it shipped through FedEx or UPS and consider freight.

If you're having one shipped, UPS will pack it for like $75 I think. That's one way to make sure it's done correctly and if it gets hosed up it's easier to get money out of them than some random person on ebay assuming it's insured.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Interest and perceived value has gone up considerably. It's hard to get anything decent without significant price gouging but that's :retrogames:. If you don't need 480p support (Dreamcast, GameCube, some PS2), you can get away with less but it's getting harder. Like 8 inch PVMs usually show up for 100 bucks on Craigslist in my area (Southern California). I'd recommend calling around any sort of TV studio, surplus warehouses, electronics recycling or even hospitals (some Olympus models are rebadged Sony PVMs) in your area but they're probably already cleaned out and in the hands of those looking to make a quick buck.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for 100 bucks for a 14". That's not too hard to attain and if you don't need 480p support than you can almost get anything with RGB inputs and be generally happy. 20" is where things get expensive fast. $200 is the least I've seen going up to around $350. Age of the unit becomes a factor in price as well. These units being sold out there that are from the 90's and even older. Newer models (like the ones I'll talk about shortly) ran up to the mid-00's. If you want 480p support, then that's another :can:. You're looking at PVM-xxL5 series and some BVMs. Those are super expensive now that everyone wants them. A PVM-14L5 can command around $400 and up while the 20" can easily double that. I'm not versed on the BVMs but they're roughly around there or more. I got really lucky getting a 14L5 for a 100 bucks from a commercial (infomercial?) studio last year.

Those prices are really low, if we're talking ebay. I've been looking for PVM2030, PVM20L5, and BVM20whatever models constantly and nothing comes up for under like $400 plus shipping these days.

Also don't forget that these were thousands of dollars when new so even at $500 you're getting a hell of a deal. Especially on the BVM side.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 2, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you want a PVM, it doesn't hurt to look beyond the Sony brand for options. Panasonic and JVC made their own PVM-type displays, as did Ikegami. You may be able to pick up a good and usable model, occasionally, that has been overlooked since everyone else is going gaga for Sony models. You can also roll the dice on the rare warehouse clearout sellers you might see on Ebay, but again - it's rolling the dice as to how it will arrive and if it will be in good general working condition (burn-in, display issues, etcetera) even if it was babied during shipping.

The thing to keep in mind about PVMs is that the display is only the beginning. To really get good use out of one, you'll need SCART cables for every system you want to hook up and at least one SCART-to-BNC adapter. If you don't want to switch out SCART cables constantly, you'll need to get a switch of some kind; probably a multi-SCART, though there are other options (but they aren't likely to be cheaper or elegant).

Oh, and don't forget that many consoles need some modding if you want RGB output. NES? Gotta install a NESRGB board. PC Engine? Gotta mod that to output from the console. SNES Mini? Gotta mod it to re-enable S-Video and RGB output because Nintendo is a stupid company that does stupid things quite often.

Basically, don't buy a PVM unless you're seriously fascinated by old rear end AV stuff, or are crazy and on some kind of medication that makes you do irrational things. Some Retrovision cables or a SCART-to-component box and a decent CRT with component plus from Craigslist will probably be sufficient for 99% of people, if they're not otherwise willing to pony up the dony to do it right.

So I guess, at this point, PVMs are basically a "If you have to ask, it's not for you" kind of thing. Hooray?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd say that's pretty fair. The amount of old CRTs I can find for pretty much free on Craigslist in the area are kind of staggering and if they fit the bill I don't see any reason why not to get them. That would work for setting up a basic retro gaming room and not need a ton of different cables.

If I had to be honest things like a Everdrive combined with a NES modded with the HD board would be my dream option. Because personally I prefer just playing on my larger HD TV (seems fine with my Retropie but I'm sure there are a crap ton of optimization that can be done). Of course stuff like the NES Hi Def or Framemeister are expensive as hell.

It's weird in a sense there is no reason to get anything beyond a Kirzz drive and a NES and Sega (already have an SNES and N64), but the idea of improving on the existing methods is kind of neat.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Sir Tonk posted:

If you're having one shipped, UPS will pack it for like $75 I think. That's one way to make sure it's done correctly and if it gets hosed up it's easier to get money out of them than some random person on ebay assuming it's insured.

Worth noting: the people who will likely be happy to package it up would be a UPS Store location (which are franchised and not directly owned by UPS). $75 packed sounds about right for what's being discussed. Additionally, it's likely that you'll be paying the 130lb rate when this is done.

I haven't worked for UPS Store since 2006, so things may have changed (but it doubt it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Worth noting: the people who will likely be happy to package it up would be a UPS Store location (which are franchised and not directly owned by UPS). $75 packed sounds about right for what's being discussed. Additionally, it's likely that you'll be paying the 130lb rate when this is done.

I haven't worked for UPS Store since 2006, so things may have changed (but it doubt it).

They quoted me like $150 to pack, insure, and ship from Denver to Houston.

I was trying to get a guy selling a PVM local only to ship it instead, but he ended up being too lazy to bother I guess.

• Locked thread