Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Even if you assume each arrow goes with one of the words... which arrow goes with which? There's no indication. congrats we told the gently caress outta that jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You think somebody posting on this forum would automatically looks to the left.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Joke's on all of you, that's actually just a button that you press.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hollismason posted:

This actually works fine it's righty tighty lefty loosey

I guess it's funny if people don't realize it and think the arrows point in the same direction because their meant to turn it in the same direction?

I dunno maybe I just don't get it.

If the knob was left unmarked, then sure. With your oven, I'm assuming that turning it clockwise shuts it off and turning it counterclockwise turns it on.

But it's clearly marked which indicates that turning the knob in either direction would close whatever valve it's referring to.

Conventions are fine and good but if you're going to clearly mark something then following the marking supersedes convention.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

a drat fine 4 panel lost.jpg

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

e: keep the unused heat lights down

Wifi Toilet has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Oct 2, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: keep the unused heat lights down

The beer garden for the nightclub I work at is fully illuminated by heat lights to keep people warm at night, but they keep forgetting to turn them off come morning.

Keeping the unused heat lights down would save electricity!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What the gently caress did they rerelease this that boxset usually goes for 70 or 80 crap

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

If the knob was left unmarked, then sure. With your oven, I'm assuming that turning it clockwise shuts it off and turning it counterclockwise turns it on.

What? No, if you turn the knob clockwise the oven turns on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is the first time I've noticed 'the furniture of law enforcement'

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

This is the first time I've noticed 'the furniture of law enforcement'

Did you notice the Ray Liotta and Optical Prime too?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Foxhound posted:

What? No, if you turn the knob clockwise the oven turns on.

Yeah, you're right. Point still stands though.

:downs:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Proteus Jones posted:

So just looking at it, tell me which arrow goes with which word, because-- infinitesimal as the likelihood may be-- it may be threaded in reverse. And if there are stops at both full open and full closed, resistance won't exist to give context.

Close is upside down if you turn it to the right clockwise you are closing it because now close is at the top and not upside down.

It's actually rather neat because you know which direction to close or open it from any angle

Also in the United State you read left to right the arrows point in the right directions if you read it left to right because the arrows are before the words <- Open ->Close

Hollismason has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Oct 2, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Unless they're actually after the words, the ambiguity of which is kind of the entire point of why this image was posted in the first place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When I try to open a valve/wheel/dial or whatever I try and turn it one way and if that doesn't work well man I'm all out of ideas, probably doesn't open.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EmmyOk posted:

When I try to open a valve/wheel/dial or whatever I try and turn it one way and if that doesn't work well man I'm all out of ideas, probably doesn't open.

You can turn it the wrong way and make it harder to open.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If that's where I think it is (University of Waterloo), then those geese are monsters. People ended up in the hospital with broken limbs a few times back when I went there for accidentally stumbling into a goose nesting site, which was everywhere.

They also cause other wildlife on campus to kill themselves out of fear

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3041413

Geese are basically mirrors of people. Meaning, they won’t act like an rear end in a top hat if you don’t. Also, I’ve worked at UW for 15 years and have never once heard of broken limbs caused by geese. I’ve also never been attacked by one because I don’t barrel through flocks of them like I own the place.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Part of Everything posted:

Geese are basically mirrors of people. Meaning, they won’t act like an rear end in a top hat if you don’t. Also, I’ve worked at UW for 15 years and have never once heard of broken limbs caused by geese. I’ve also never been attacked by one because I don’t barrel through flocks of them like I own the place.

You must have very docile geese there. Normally geese absolutely will attack you even if you're doing nothing. It's usually because you're near their nest but the fuckers love to make them in the most inconvenient spots.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Oct 2, 2017

You
Oct 6, 2009

Dear athettits,
If god isnt rael, how come satan live in telefone?????

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

RatHat posted:

You must have very docile geese there. Normally geese absolutely will attack you even if you're doing nothing. It's usually because you're near their nest but the fuckers love to make them in the most inconvenient spots.

This is one of those situations where the property owner should hire one of those companies that sends in border collies to chase away the geese. I want to work for one of those companies one day.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Buff Skeleton posted:

This is one of those situations where the property owner should hire one of those companies that sends in border collies to chase away the geese. I want to work for one of those companies one day.
they're not going to be chased away from their nest as easy as you think :thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Skeleton posted:

Who's a good boy?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
border collies with flamethrowers :getin:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elizabethan Error posted:

they're not going to be chased away from their nest as easy as you think :thunk:

I think you're underestimating just how many border collies they send.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

You just want to pet all the dogs.

So do I

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

sneakyfrog posted:

border collies with flamethrowers :getin:

Hot dogs?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

the hottest

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jumping frogs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

http :// hell yeah

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Pastry of the Year posted:

http :// hell yeah

Stay safe A.T. pupper.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you're underestimating just how many border collies they send.

You're underestimating how much geese don't give a gently caress. They try to scare away cars.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

My worst fears have come to roost....

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I contract for border collies at my job. They do a great job. The thing about the geese is if you gently caress with them enough they'll just move. You have to have regular visits from the border collies but it's the only way I've found to reliably keep the geese away.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
great.... big border collie inc has infiltrated the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sneakyfrog posted:

great.... big border collie inc has infiltrated the forums

Who's a good poster? Who's a good poster? You are! :woof: