Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like I used to commute in from loving Reading and that was still only an hour door to door. Being anywhere on the tube network is like a guaranteed 45 minute commute max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
what is this tube you speak off

some form of transportation for the masses?

lol I bet you're going to say it's run by a public entity next

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FrozenVent posted:

It's like the NYC Subway but faster and better and with less tramps on the platform.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The only downside of the tube is the unions go on strike whenever some train driver gets fired for soiling himself at the wheel.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

The only downside of the tube is the unions go on strike whenever some train driver gets fired for brushing his teeth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FrozenVent posted:

it's a series of unventilated stairs loosely connected by bomb shelters.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

it's a series of unventilated stairs loosely connected by bomb shelters.

actually it's a metaphor for the internet

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I mean 25 miles might seem like a long commute to people in NA, but like public transport is actually a thing in the UK.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

qhat posted:

I mean 25 miles might seem like a long commute to people in NA, but like public transport is actually a thing in the UK.

public transport is a thing in Chicago too and gently caress 25 miles. my commute is 4.

I did a 30 mile commute on public transit in Chicago and fuuuuuuck that. it's even legal to drink on the train and no thanks.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
My dad used to do a 30+ mile commute from the far northwest suburbs to downtown daily on Metra, it was fine. Gave him a chance to read the paper and if you sit in the same place every day, you wind up part of a group of friends from all walks of life that'll last years.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

minivanmegafun posted:

public transport is a thing in Chicago too and gently caress 25 miles. my commute is 4.

I did a 30 mile commute on public transit in Chicago and fuuuuuuck that. it's even legal to drink on the train and no thanks.

25 miles is 40 minutes on the tube.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qhat posted:

15 miles is 45 minutes in the bay area

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

London has canalboats, those always seemed cozy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CrazyLittle posted:

15 miles is 45 minutes in the bay area

and about 2 mil

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

My dad used to do a 30+ mile commute from the far northwest suburbs to downtown daily on Metra, it was fine. Gave him a chance to read the paper and if you sit in the same place every day, you wind up part of a group of friends from all walks of life that'll last years.

Alas, talking is illegal on the Tube.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Doom Mathematic posted:

Alas, talking is illegal on the Tube.

Not all talking. You're allowed to apologise as long as you don't make eye contact.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gonadic io posted:

Not all talking. You're allowed to apologise as long as you don't make eye contact.

Funny, people used to apologise for walking past me. Lol.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qhat posted:

Funny, people used to apologise for walking past me. Lol.

you were in their way

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gonadic io posted:

you were in their way

You're always in someone's way on the tube.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

well the bay area is pretty "affordable" if you want to live 25 miles from work

(it won't be 40 minutes!)

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

minivanmegafun posted:

I genuinely miss Metra in some ways. Back when I lived in the west burbs it's was 40 min local or 25 min express, if memory serves, and being able to have a pretzel and beer on the train on the way home kicked rear end. Less nice was being one of the last on the train and having to sit in the stairwell for the first few stops. Taking the L on red line was definitely interesting in it's own ways.

I counted six separate bars in the Adam St depot alone to give you an idea of how much drinking on the train is part of the culture there.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
How dumb of an idea is it to leave my boring and micromanaged but decently-paid job for a likely lesser-paying one that gives me way more control over my work and the company's product?

The current job makes a frivolous product (iot toys for rich people), the new job's product is potentially more useful (agricultural tech, but it's a startup)

I am planning to go to grad school in a year anyway, so that limits the damages somewhat if the new ag tech job turns out to be a poo poo decision

It's way too easy for me to just coast with my current job but I'm pretty unfulfilled by it and have thought about leaving for over a year

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

time to leave

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to leave my boring and micromanaged but decently-paid job for a likely lesser-paying one that gives me way more control over my work and the company's product?

The current job makes a frivolous product (iot toys for rich people), the new job's product is potentially more useful (agricultural tech, but it's a startup)

if the idiot startup can't or won't pay you what you already earn, that should be a red flag

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if the idiot startup can't or won't pay you what you already earn, that should be a red flag

I'm sure they can offer him equity to make it up :yayclod:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

uxbridge is a loving dump

There were that many bombs dropped they just renamed it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

I am planning to go to grad school in a year anyway, so that limits the damages somewhat if the new ag tech job turns out to be a poo poo decision

It's way too easy for me to just coast with my current job but I'm pretty unfulfilled by it and have thought about leaving for over a year

startups pay with equity. you're not going to be around long enough to collect on that (it's worthless anyway). if the job is interesting and you will learn something and advance in your career, go for it. go find interesting work while you're young and become an expert in it so you can keep working in that field instead of being well established somewhere that sucks

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

The Management posted:

startups pay with equity. you're not going to be around long enough to collect on that (it's worthless anyway). if the job is interesting and you will learn something and advance in your career, go for it. go find interesting work while you're young and become an expert in it so you can keep working in that field instead of being well established somewhere that sucks

This.

I almost pigeonholed myself into being a WordPress developer. :suicide: Go find interesting stuff to do.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

qhat posted:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E85302&minBedrooms=2&maxPrice=400000&sortType=1

FYI Woodford is one of the better places in London to live. Also ignore all the home wise poo poo, that's retirement properties and they list way underneath the market.

i had a mate from woodford/chingford and he called it hoodford and had stories of getting chased around estates

also i think he knew IDS but that's a different story

anyway don't live in London, it's poo poo

i earn like 1/3rd less in NL than my mate in London and I have a 2 bed flat to myself, he lives with 2-3 roomates

i have a 15 min commute by bike, same by metro if its raining; he has to get 2 buses and is always complaining about missing them

oh and don't get me started on poo poo pubs with poo poo beer for poo poo prices

gently caress london

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sister lives in london and it rules for her since she's on new york law salary. i don't think she's coming back as long as they'll have her.

basically dont get paid poo poo and you're probably ok, just like new york. otherwise just move to dublin.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's a lot easier not to get paid poo poo in new york than it is to not get paid poo poo in london

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh and don't get me started on poo poo pubs with poo poo beer for poo poo prices
I'll never understand why in a country with a decent brewing tradition everyone in london insists on drinking staraprova or kronenburg [and paying 4 squids for the privilege]

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
its not just london, its the whole country

everyone drinks lovely carling/carlsberg/etc as opposed to local bitters, which aren't.. that great but are passable (and other styles but mostly bitters)

tbh kronenburg/stella/peroni are the upmarket slightly-not-piss ones

and if you're paying £4 for a pint in London you're doing alright

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Diva Cupcake posted:

basically dont get paid poo poo

bingo bongo so simple

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can already see next round of interviews being awful, and its still at least half a year out.

I am currently grossly overpaid for a really nice job, so I will likely end up having to take a pay cut to work less interesting job :suicide:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MrMoo posted:

JP Morgan Chase is a big employer in Glasgow, and I actually have an active contractor badge with them in NYC. Banks tend not to like WFH and are overly bureaucratic for employees but pretty good for contractors making a mess of things. I've never worked in a formal development environment until a recent few months at an FX trading shop, I'm usually the only developer in larger teams with others working on the financial or business side.

I've used your resume as a basis for small projects to start working on, as they contain a bunch of stuff I have had experience in supporting/patching but not making on my own. I'm not particularly interested in finance but some of the underlying tech is very interesting and fun. Thanks.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

London has canalboats, those always seemed cozy.

cozy, but you need a mooring or be prepared to move often and occasionally outside London proper

and there's more boats than ever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

All Too Much For Me posted:

cozy, but you need a mooring or be prepared to move often and occasionally outside London proper

and there's more boats than ever.

Mountain View has these but they are beat-up old RVs. apparently some people figured out that instead of buying a $2 million house you can buy a piece of poo poo RV to sleep in and take showers and eat at work. and they are multiplying rapidly.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Diva Cupcake posted:

sister lives in london and it rules for her since she's on new york law salary. i don't think she's coming back as long as they'll have her.

basically dont get paid poo poo and you're probably ok, just like new york. otherwise just move to dublin.

So what you're saying is London is good to live in if you're in the top 1% of salaries like your sister ?

jre fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

yes exactly. im tossing out pearls of knowledge here.

• Locked thread