Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
The first couple challenge rifts I did, I thought the initial skill bindings (where they were bound, not what they were) were ridiculous and unusable. Then it occurred to me that the skill bindings say absolutely nothing about the key bindings of that rift's original runner. The pictures of the skills are located in the same places, and you can probably assume LMB/RMB are the same, but everything even LMB/RMB could have been completely different for the original runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoingPostal posted:

If you're on when I'm on (Battlenet ID Jolinar#1232 send me a whisper and I'll carry you through some stuff to help you gear up some.

Thank you very much, but I'd prefer to play solo for now.

I'm not quite sure what my issue with the game is, but I'm not having that much fun. And it's not addicting the way these sort of games are. Idk if it's fights being very hectic but not very tactical: you just fire in the general direction of the mob blob, maybe prioritize the stronger enemies, and try to keep your meters and cooldowns in check. I'd have liked it if there were maybe one or two extra skills slots just to make combat a bit more interesting (I understand it's an intentional limitation). The loot's not that exciting, I've had few "wow" moments, and legendaries keep repeating (maybe this is temporary, but I've played long enough that this should not be an issue, imo). And it's very easy most of the time. I'm playing on Torment 1 now with crappy, unoptimized gear, and mobs are still mostly a joke. I do like the variety of tricks enemies have to keep you on your toes. Various aoe attacks and debuffs and different enemies behaviors. But idk, the actual game is not that engaging to me. Could it be related to the class I'm using (hunter), or because I just started the Adventure mode?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

This game does not really start until you are at a minimum max level and wearing a full set. That being said if the combat does absolutely nothing for you in any way while leveling and experimenting I think that the class you picked if not this game in general might not be for you. Keep in mind other classes might do more for you, as might a real build, and I'm retarded and only play this game while hosed up.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I find the key is to keep pumping the difficulty until you're forced to actually start caring about enemy types. However, the early going is a bit rough. You're in that awkward spot where you probably aren't in danger of dying to guys but you can't kill fast enough to really make cranking the difficulty slider up. Like others have said, the game really starts rolling once you can get a set off the ground and start finding all the synergy items for it. At the very least now that you're 70 the loot pool expands and you'll start seeing some of the fun items that cause your skill damage to skyrocket. It may also be that DH just isn't your jam, but I'd probably try and get a set before you completely call it. Monk is my personal favorite class, and you may wanna try a more melee focused class and see if that clicks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

Thank you very much, but I'd prefer to play solo for now.

I'm not quite sure what my issue with the game is, but I'm not having that much fun. And it's not addicting the way these sort of games are. Idk if it's fights being very hectic but not very tactical: you just fire in the general direction of the mob blob, maybe prioritize the stronger enemies, and try to keep your meters and cooldowns in check. I'd have liked it if there were maybe one or two extra skills slots just to make combat a bit more interesting (I understand it's an intentional limitation). The loot's not that exciting, I've had few "wow" moments, and legendaries keep repeating (maybe this is temporary, but I've played long enough that this should not be an issue, imo). And it's very easy most of the time. I'm playing on Torment 1 now with crappy, unoptimized gear, and mobs are still mostly a joke. I do like the variety of tricks enemies have to keep you on your toes. Various aoe attacks and debuffs and different enemies behaviors. But idk, the actual game is not that engaging to me. Could it be related to the class I'm using (hunter), or because I just started the Adventure mode?

These games aren't really about being tactical but about mindlessly blowing up the maximum amount of monsters for megadamage into progressively higher difficulties. Diablo is supposed to be easy. If the basic combat loop of kill loot repeat does not appeal to you then it just may not be your kind of game, IDK. That being said D3 offers a lot of direction for incoming players in the form of the seasonal journey and class sets. If you're just floundering around on Torment 1 then that indicates you haven't really put together an actual class set with supporting items, gems, and skills. You can look up icy-veins or diablofans.com for build guides if you're just completely lost about what to build toward. Diablo may not be a very difficult game, but there are more optimal ways of playing it, and having a cohesive set is really what elevates the combat from idly plinking away at demons to no-scoping elites for trillions of damage at lightspeed. It doesn't really impress anyone to say "Torment 1 is too easy for me" when having an actual solid build will completely break T13+ over your knee.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That was pretty intense!

The whole thing was a bit pointless because I didn't have a good legendary gem yet. But I got my stupid pet before the season was over. All that matters really.

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't really impress anyone to say "Torment 1 is too easy for me" when having an actual solid build will completely break T13+ over your knee.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone, I am bad at videogames. I was trying to see what I was missing. And having completed the season journey I get the loop. With Kanai's cube suddenly almost every legendary is exciting, all the different armor sets are for looking cool even if you don't want their stats, Paragon levels improve you into infinity, and rifts give you a whole new avenue of power. You're incentivized to keep upping the difficulty for faster leveling and better drop rates (though it seems the basic mats drop in more or less the same quantities).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

But I got my stupid pet before the season was over. All that matters really.

Congrats!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I wasn't trying to impress anyone, I am bad at videogames. I was trying to see what I was missing. And having completed the season journey I get the loop. With Kanai's cube suddenly almost every legendary is exciting, all the different armor sets are for looking cool even if you don't want their stats, Paragon levels improve you into infinity, and rifts give you a whole new avenue of power. You're incentivized to keep upping the difficulty for faster leveling and better drop rates (though it seems the basic mats drop in more or less the same quantities).

This is an extremely fancy way of saying "get drunk and listen to music but with something to do while you hear it instead of sitting on your couch and staring at the wall".

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Eregos posted:

The first couple challenge rifts I did, I thought the initial skill bindings (where they were bound, not what they were) were ridiculous and unusable. Then it occurred to me that the skill bindings say absolutely nothing about the key bindings of that rift's original runner. The pictures of the skills are located in the same places, and you can probably assume LMB/RMB are the same, but everything even LMB/RMB could have been completely different for the original runner.

You know you can rebind and move the skills around from the skill screen right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't get how powerful the seasonal armor's (Unhallowed Essence) effect was until I was messing around with my skills, and for the first time used that ability that boosts your max discipline (without making the connection to the armor). I (slowly) noticed I was gibbing enemies, and then realized it was surprisingly the generator skill that was responsible. To cut the story short, I was suddenly able to jump a few levels of torment, it changed my the playstyle and it gave me direction in building a character. It was an awesome feeling.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Congrats, you're playing Diablo now. Time to waste the rest of your life making numbers get bigger!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

I didn't get how powerful the seasonal armor's (Unhallowed Essence) effect was until I was messing around with my skills, and for the first time used that ability that boosts your max discipline (without making the connection to the armor). I (slowly) noticed I was gibbing enemies, and then realized it was surprisingly the generator skill that was responsible. To cut the story short, I was suddenly able to jump a few levels of torment, it changed my the playstyle and it gave me direction in building a character. It was an awesome feeling.

And now things start to make complete sense.

Look up the LLJK community (not the clan) and there might be a few hangers-on that you can team uo with when you want to. You get more experience and gold and better legendary item drop chances in a group. Legendary items that drop in group games can be traded within two hours of them spawning, so getting into a party is great when you need stuff.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

This old UE multishot build is getting insane buffs next season. If you get familiar with the playstyle this season and push it to torment 10 or 13 you will be destroying everything when you get geared next season

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thrill of the Hunt and Cull the Weak haven't left my passive skills since I unlocked them (I've tried). They seem almost essential.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Thrill of the Hunt and Cull the Weak haven't left my passive skills since I unlocked them (I've tried). They seem almost essential.

Thrill tends to fall off with powerful enemies that are more resistant to slow, but it's great in multishot UE since you're spamming a screen wide hatred spender. Cull the Weak is 100% when pushing your limits but eventually you'll be so overpowered that you'll drop it in speed farming. builds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kinda wish all the bounties took place outside hell and heaven. The first two acts are so much prettier and easier to navigate.

e:great, a disconnect resets your bounty progress

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 1, 2017

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Honestly at this point IMO bounties in general just suck rear end. I will run at least 100 rifts before I do that poo poo again once. I only do them rarely when there is a specific weapon I want ancient to make whatever build I'm working on get off the floor, because they're the only way to get the mats to reroll a specific item. If you're annoyed with them and don't need any of the gear that only drops from a bounty cache I'd say just go with rifts as your norm and never look back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You don't get any random challenges in rifts, though, do you? Bounties are more varied (sometimes to their detriment). And then there's the rare materials that you get in caches. Or do those also drop in rifts?

e:My templar follower is beginning to struggle to keep up. What's the best way to beef him up?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You don't get any random challenges in rifts, though, do you? Bounties are more varied (sometimes to their detriment). And then there's the rare materials that you get in caches. Or do those also drop in rifts?

There's a couple huge problems with bounties

1) Soloing them is one quarter as fast as doing split bounties in a group
2) Bad bounties where you can't find the objective are teeeeeerrible

Early in the season you need the bounty mats to extract cube powers, and then you don't need them for a while, and then you need them again to do the "reroll legendary" cube recipe which takes 5 of each bounty mat to try and make an ancient out of a lovely weapon

quote:

e:My templar follower is beginning to struggle to keep up. What's the best way to beef him up?

The relic that says "your follower can't die". Follower's health/dmg doesn't scale with difficulty like player gear so you just put that relic on them and then load them up with CC gear

mewse fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 1, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It would be cool and neat if follower damage was noticeable, but I guess Blizzard gave up on that notion by just giving them immortality items so they're just useful for their skills instead.

I remember in Diablo 2 giving my defense aura act 2 merc an ethereal Bonehew and his damage was wicked.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Frost Aura act 2 merc with one of the many weapons giving another aura was in many ways a precursor to D3 followers. (Not a complaint, an observation)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Given the countless superficial things the game lets you fiddle with, it's surprising there's no customization of follower appearance (unless I missed it).

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

You get random challenges from rifts in the form of randomized maps and mob and elite types. Regular rifts drop all the normal mats, just not the ones to reroll or cube an item. Regular rifts also have all the chests and goblins that change things up but with a higher drop rate. Greater rifts offer instead an even greater amount of legendaries and the opportunity to upgrade gems.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

Given the countless superficial things the game lets you fiddle with, it's surprising there's no customization of follower appearance (unless I missed it).

You can transmog the weapon and shield for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boo!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

This is not Diablo II. And you save the better of the two weapons for yourself and feed the other one to your cube.

And before you get any ideas, if you have Dawn equipped and your weapon cube power is Dawn, they will not stack. This goes for all legendary powers on equipped items and what's in the cube.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There aren't too many DH setups that favor 2x handbows over a quiver now, although maybe that will change with the changes to Natalya's set. I haven't been following the PTR that closely other than I know pretty much every underperforming item is getting an omega gangsta damage boost.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Star Man posted:

And before you get any ideas, if you have Dawn equipped and your weapon cube power is Dawn, they will not stack. This goes for all legendary powers on equipped items and what's in the cube.

Not only do they not stack, but it always goes with the one you're physically holding even if the roll isn't perfect like the cubed version. Definitely a bad idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty remarkable how often the game manages to leap frog you in power level. Whenever it feels like I'm reaching a wall, I'll find something that flips the rules on what's permissible. It'll seem like I'm getting away with something, but that merely becomes the new baseline for surviving higher torment. It's repeatedly reinventing how you approach the game. Like its normalizing "broken" gameplay, but over and over again. Which I love, because those eureka moments when you realize just what the game is allowing you to do (and consequent carnage) is arguably the best part of these games.

I think it helps that I'm mostly avoiding guides. Though it does make rerolling gear a headache, which usually results in me leaving the gear as is. There should be additional tool tips giving you the net effect of the change, like when you're comparing equipment.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I wonder how long until they add something interesting again instead of just increasing the Set Du Jour by 500/1000/1500% damage and calling it a new season.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I wonder how long until they add something interesting again instead of just increasing the Set Du Jour by 500/1000/1500% damage and calling it a new season.
Diablo 4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the incentive in upping greater rift difficulty besides XP? I noticed sometimes the probability of improving a gem was lower, is that related to rift level (on top of gem level)? Do the drop rates improve? Anecdotally they do seem to be affected, but minimally.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

What's the incentive in upping greater rift difficulty besides XP? I noticed sometimes the probability of improving a gem was lower, is that related to rift level (on top of gem level)? Do the drop rates improve? Anecdotally they do seem to be affected, but minimally.

You get more/better drops at higher rifts. Also gems can only be upgraded to current GR level -10 before you start getting huge penalties to chance of success.

http://d3resource.com/difficulties/index.php

This shows you the different values for any given rift tier, in terms of what mobs do, what they drop, and how often it happens.

That site is also great for tracking season journey since you can see what is coming beyond the current chapter of objectives.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Vomik posted:

You know you can rebind and move the skills around from the skill screen right?
I was going to mention that but I thought it would be redundant since saying the bindings only revealed the picture locations for the original runner not the original runner's key bindings was already a deeper observation.

In other news, I'm now the first Goon in my clan and my friends list (though not the first goon ever) to beat a GR 100 solo in a season!

Getting a leaderboard spot is nice too. The fact that most everybody abandoned the season early piqued my interest in going for it. It was actually pretty satisfying and fun. I'm feeling I can probably push to 105 or so. GR 100 solo is just such a satisfying marker to reach. I hear lots of builds will be able to do it next season. As a side effect I'll also be getting my Non-season paragon out of the Middle Ages and into the early Renaissance, which doesn't really matter but is somehow satisfying.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Grats! I feel like I could have pushed 90+ pretty easy with my Necro's current gear but.... :effort:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hobold posted:

You get more/better drops at higher rifts. Also gems can only be upgraded to current GR level -10 before you start getting huge penalties to chance of success.

http://d3resource.com/difficulties/index.php

This shows you the different values for any given rift tier, in terms of what mobs do, what they drop, and how often it happens.

That site is also great for tracking season journey since you can see what is coming beyond the current chapter of objectives.

Wow I didn't know the GR level had an impact on gem upgrade success, thanks. I'm trying to clear GR 75 with my lazy necro and my gems are level 62 and appear to be the biggest thing holding me back. I cleared 73 with a minute to spare but couldn't go higher. I was speed running GR60 last night to try and upgrade my gems at 15% success rates and it was really frustrating.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone want to recommend a class? I'm thinking crusader or monk, but if there's any class in particular that's more interesting or whatever, I want to know.

(Yes, I caught the bug).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sweep crusader is pretty fun and straightforward . It will feel pretty lovely until you get a golden flense

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Anyone want to recommend a class? I'm thinking crusader or monk, but if there's any class in particular that's more interesting or whatever, I want to know.

(Yes, I caught the bug).

Impale DH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Think I'm one piece away from the set.