Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

brylcreem posted:

Thine own self
Troi has to pass the officer test and needs to sacrifice a crew member, and she chooses the chief engineer? Hardly officer material!

Can you honestly say you'd pick someone else you'd rather have die, based on the choices available? The vast majority of his job can be automated by the computer anyway.
poo poo man, even Miles can do his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I just watched the new episode of Discovery. It's pretty good. If some of the stuff from the pilot turned you off, give it a shot. It feels much more like an episode of the Trek you're used to. the main story of the episode stands alone but it ties into a larger narrative.

Is the alien science officer sticking around? He was one of the more interesting/better characters.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Geordi probably provides Troi with an incredible amount of weird telepathic incel arousal/hatred feedback just being in the same room with her. I can believe she'd happily send him off to his doom.

Also, based on the composition of every away team that's ever been shown, Starfleet protocol is to send the most experienced, least replaceable personnel to their doom first.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Blistex posted:

Is the alien science officer sticking around? He was one of the more interesting/better characters.

Yes. He's the first officer aboard the Discovery.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Geordi probably provides Troi with an incredible amount of weird telepathic incel arousal/hatred feedback just being in the same room with her. I can believe she'd happily send him off to his doom.

Also, based on the composition of every away team that's ever been shown, Starfleet protocol is to send the most experienced, least replaceable personnel to their doom first.

I always thought it was required to have someone with command authority that can order the ship to target their site from orbit... just in case.

Never know when you might find God out there, asking for a starship.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Testy gay scientist is the best villain on TV.

He's just so testy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

shadow puppet of a posted:

Testy gay scientist is the best villain on TV.

He's just so testy.

I thought it was cool how he's a dick and everything but when they were about to get eaten by that monster, he was all business. He just barked orders at Michael and she did them and they mostly got out of it ok. He totally cut the bullshit when he had to.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

It was super jarring seeing how poorly that starfleet security officer treated the prisoners. There are hundreds of hours of recorded Star Trek productions including scenes where they hold absolute power over their worst enemies and we never see them acting like that.

Feels weird.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What about when Janeway forcibly removed the implants from Seven?

Seriously though, security guards in Trek have trended towards the "barely competent" end of the spectrum.
If you don't see a named character beside the forcefield about to engage in some back and forth with the prisoner, then nine times out of ten, that prisoner is going to escape.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I just watched the new episode of Discovery. It's pretty good. If some of the stuff from the pilot turned you off, give it a shot. It feels much more like an episode of the Trek you're used to. the main story of the episode stands alone but it ties into a larger narrative.

Everyone on the show's an rear end in a top hat, with the possible exception of Saru.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

Can you honestly say you'd pick someone else you'd rather have die, based on the choices available? The vast majority of his job can be automated by the computer anyway.
poo poo man, even Miles can do his job.

There was a rando crewmember standing right there.

Clark Nova posted:

lol, he probably had to go into therapy after real Leah Brahms chewed into him, so she knows all his little secrets :barf:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Troi probably likes having Geordie around because he spits out such a constant din of unfocused lusty emotion that if she can just keep like 30 feet away from him then its like a soothing white noise generator that drowns out the feelings of everyone else who happens to be around her.

Think about her sitting in 10 forward with dozens of ensigns and jr. lieutenants all counting down the minutes until its their scheduled time for the limitless room of unspeakable pleasures. You'd never be able to keep your food down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

brylcreem posted:

There was a rando crewmember standing right there.

In the words of Johnny Five-Aces, "brylcreem, please. He had a family."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brylcreem posted:

Thine own self
Troi has to pass the officer test and needs to sacrifice a crew member, and she chooses the chief engineer? Hardly officer material!

There's a specific point to it being Geordi rather than a random engineer, and Riker outright states this; can Troi, as a command officer, willingly send someone she knows to their death for the good of the mission/ship?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Third episode of Discovery is better. Except for the shuttles. WTF is going on with the green screen or CGI or whatever in the shuttles? I guess they wanted to have cool space windows but the effect was terrible. Just make a windowless shuttle out of plywood, at least it would look like they were really inside a shuttle rather a bad photoshop.

Mondian posted:

It was super jarring seeing how poorly that starfleet security officer treated the prisoners. There are hundreds of hours of recorded Star Trek productions including scenes where they hold absolute power over their worst enemies and we never see them acting like that.

Feels weird.

The captain sets the tone of the ship, and this captain isn't hugs and rainbows. Besides this is set 10 years before the original series, so we should compare their morality to that of Kirk and crew, not TNG or DS9.

That whole scene was weird though. Why unshackle them and then call them names? If you're going to be mean, might as well leave the handcuffs on until they get to the brig. I guess it was part of the 'test' to see if Michael would try something if she was free? But they still had phaser rifles so you'd have to be an idiot to try anything.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

brylcreem posted:

Thine own self

Also she sent the only black guy to sacrifice himself (Worf doesn't count because black is the Klingon white).

Conincidence? I think not. Why else would you send one of the only 3 black guys in the Federation to their death when a white random dude was right next to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

The Orville just throws out that TNG 'evolved sensibilities' bullshit and posits that even in a technologically advanced civilization with confirmation of intelligent extraterrestrial life, humans still deal with the inane bullshit of modern life.

poo poo like working your rear end off to climb the corporate ladder, working with people you have a reason to dislike and hating your parents.

There's actually something nice about that in that humanity doesn't have to become unrecognisable to built a better society and get along with alien life, that better things are possible with just a bit more cooperation and a society that puts taking care of people first.

Mondian posted:

Feels weird.

Odo was a borderline fascist and still the best security officer in the quadrant because he cares about justice and the job first and foremost and doesn't gently caress around.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Third episode of Discovery is better. Except for the shuttles. WTF is going on with the green screen or CGI or whatever in the shuttles? I guess they wanted to have cool space windows but the effect was terrible. Just make a windowless shuttle out of plywood, at least it would look like they were really inside a shuttle rather a bad photoshop.

Besides this is set 10 years before the original series, so we should compare their morality to that of Kirk and crew, not TNG or DS9.

That's just Netflix production values, they have to greenscreen the poo poo out of everything because they want to make sci-fi on a sitcom budget.

Also the cultural shift in the world should have happened in the 21st century starting with the Bell Riots (in only 7 years from now :ohdear: ) and have been pretty much finishes before the establishment of Starfleet.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brylcreem posted:

Lwaxana was always commenting on how Picard had these naughty thoughts about her. Was that real, or just her being eccentric?

What's the nerd opinion?

Picard, like all starfleet captains, thinks of his starship as a woman and desperately wants to gently caress it. And then troi's mom shows up and her voice sounds just like the ship's computer, you know he's thinking about the possibilities...

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Odo ain't Starfleet, what peak debt said about the bell riots is what I'm talking about. Star Trek's always been about humanity transcending that petty bullshit, Kirk never taunted a prisoner or called him called any sentient being an animal and he met a lot of huge assholes in his time. poo poo, even Archer had that restraint and he was dealing with space 9/11 a century earlier. Meanwhile Lieutenant Abu Ghraib here on STD is a few beats shy of just flogging some rando prisoners that just stepped off a shuttle.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Masks
Just absolute poo poo. I cannot find anything redeeming about this episode.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I think star trek I think Alien but gorier

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone is joyless and gives clumsy exposition this show sucks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

brylcreem posted:

Masks
Just absolute poo poo. I cannot find anything redeeming about this episode.

Brent Spiner

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Brent Spiner

No. No, that's not it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Iron Crowned posted:

Brent Spiner

Brent Spinneret.

Like a big spider, with Brent's head.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you all, Masks owns

MASAKA IS WAKING

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Masks would be better if Jim Carrey guest started as Ensign Stanley Ipkiss.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A monster is chasing people in a corridor, better film it in near-total darkness so our low budget cgi doesn't look like balls. :effort:

Possible Gorn skeleton?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

red letter media's take on this is kinda how i feel. I rarely agree with those dudes about nerd poo poo beyond laughing at bad movies, but STD really isn't very good trek, but it's an ok... whatever it is.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I upped the gamma and brightness with VLC, works great.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

bitterandtwisted posted:

A monster is chasing people in a corridor, better film it in near-total darkness so our low budget cgi doesn't look like balls. :effort:

Possible Gorn skeleton?

Also what appear to be two dead Cardassian voles.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mycomancy posted:

Also what appear to be two dead Cardassian voles.

Is it truly a Cardassian vole if you can no longer bet on it?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm warming up to both STD and ORV. It's unique that they're both airing together, they kind of balance each other out. They both definitely have problems but they focus on different things that make Star Trek Star Trek. I hope we get to see less people being stressed out assholes on STD and I hope we get less :airquote: jokes :airquote: from Seth that make me what to kick him in the nuts.

Trekkies being Trekkies though, I think we're destined to endlessly argue over why one is objectively the best, and the other is the worst cancer ever inflicted on humanity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really don't see what makes people so mad about the jokes on Orville. They're good jokes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Only people who hate themselves are watching the Orville. It's complicated.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
jeez why is STD so full of horrible people? im not sure i like grimdark star trek without goatees

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
mirror STD: everyone is nice and having a lovely time but has a goatee

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gender illusionist posted:

mirror STD: everyone is nice and having a lovely time but has a goatee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010