Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
2017 is a great year for gaming we got a Super Robot Wars game in english that wasn't garbage translated by a broken machine (the broken machine one was last year).

Edit: Also the Nvidia experience bullshit apparently disables the usage of combinations like Ctrl + 1 etc which is real handy when you're playing an MMO and you kinda use that a lot.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

star citizen more popular than call of duty confirmed, holy poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheLastRoboKy posted:

2017 is a great year for gaming we got a Super Robot Wars game in english that wasn't garbage translated by a broken machine (the broken machine one was last year).

Edit: Also the Nvidia experience bullshit apparently disables the usage of combinations like Ctrl + 1 etc which is real handy when you're playing an MMO and you kinda use that a lot.

As soon as that poo poo started being a thing I just went through and deleted everything possible and the only thing that had to have a keybind (pull up the overlay, iirc) I bound to like control+alt+numpad * or something

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/toggleModal/status/914800654111125504

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Hello here is my update about the DAC I bought recently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JUPY3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it turns out, this thing works really well. I played through the entire Australian campaign in Battlefield 1 immersed in the greater depth and crispness of the audio. It's a bit pricey, but it certainly justifies its purchase combined with my Audio Technica ATH-M50x. Now here's my question, what's your favorite games for sound? Like, Battlefield 1 level audio.

Hellblade.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

2017 has been a great year for gaming. And that's saying something, coming after 2016, which was a spectacular year for gaming. And that's saying something, coming after 2015, which was a superb year for gaming. And that's saying something, coming after 2014, which was a staggering year for gaming. No idea if that's saying something since I didn't have a good PC in 2013 and didn't pay attention to the games coming out.

Comparing to the 1990s is a red herring anyway — it was the decade when a lot of genres were invented or at least formalised, but that happened because it could, not because games were abnormally great or different. It was just that before that, much of what was being done simply wasn't possible. So to use the rate of innovation as an argument why gaming is bad these days is just a cheap out… never mind that innovation is still happening. If anything, it just suggests that it takes a decade or two for a genre to be fully established, so it's hardly surprising if the ones that are arriving now have yet to find the same kind of audience.

The only thing that has really happened over the last few years is a massively reduced threshold for making a game and getting it on the market, partly because of a lot of new tools being made available, partly because of the availability of easy store fronts and sales platforms, and partly because… well… the market has grown and there is a demand for it, so everyone and their catte rushes in to capitalise.

That doesn't mean there are now fewer good games than there were 20 years ago. It just means they have to be that much better to make a mark and that you have to wade through a lot more that you're not interested in to find the stuff you want. An embarrassment of riches does not mean that the 15p microwave dinner you splurged on back when you were poor and were used to 5p instant noodles qualifies as fine dining. It probably tasted great, but trying to argue that it was a better meal and a better time just because the filet mignon you're having for lunch doesn't come with string beans is just silly.

Taintrunner posted:

Now here's my question, what's your favorite games for sound? Like, Battlefield 1 level audio.

Elite Dangerous.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 2, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hellblade
Elite: Dangerous
Star Wars: Battlefront
Bloodborne (argh, PC games...)

irregardless of gameplay, those set some standards for sound design, imo

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Oh my god thread, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU?!?

This dude has the right idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-o_yjdOag

And kittens for balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvllI1BAGQ

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Derek: loving nazis!
Thread: Nope! No nazi calling!
Derek: But...but...GRAMMAR NAZIS!
Thread: NOPE!
Derek: okay
Thread: No nazi calling at all!
Derek: Got it...but imma call them nazis tho
Thread: NOPE! NOPE! NOPE!
Derek: Okay...I just call them assclowns
Thread: That's fine
Derek: and little nazis!
Thread: Oh my god we're gonna probate you!

no touchy fishy!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

Now here's my question, what's your favorite games for sound? Like, Battlefield 1 level audio.

Alien Isolation
Elite Dangerous
To a lesser extent RS2: Vietnam just for how terrifying being on the receiving end of an artillery strike/napalm strike sounds.

E: Dead Space

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 2, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
While the thread is all over the place, I would like to state that I loved Half Life 2. I also quite liked the original, even though when I first experienced that one, I could only play it at a friend's house and I didn't really like the final boss.

I don't think HL2 was designed to be scary or give off the same vibes as the original. There was a bigger emphasis on physics, NPC behavior and open maps and making that dystopian world seem realistic (within the context of their myth and universe). And I think one main focus was to make the game fun, offering variety in the gameplay; especially with the drivable cars and the gravity gun + physics (and ofcourse the upgraded gravity gun which was awesome). I mean at some point I only wanted to use the gravity gun and the saw blades to cut zombies in half or just throw paint buckets at zombies.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Tippis posted:

Comparing to the 1990s is a red herring anyway — it was the decade when a lot of genres were invented or at least formalised, but that happened because it could, not because games were abnormally great or different. It was just that before that, much of what was being done simply wasn't possible. So to use the rate of innovation as an argument why gaming is bad these days is just a cheap out… never mind that innovation is still happening. If anything, it just suggests that it takes a decade or two for a genre to be fully established, so it's hardly surprising if the ones that are arriving now have yet to find the same kind of audience.

The only thing that has really happened over the last few years is a massively reduced threshold for making a game and getting it on the market, partly because of a lot of new tools being made available, partly because of the availability of easy store fronts and sales platforms, and partly because… well… the market has grown and there is a demand for it, so everyone and their catte rushes in to capitalise.

That doesn't mean there are now fewer good games than there were 20 years ago. It just means they have to be that much more good to make a mark and that you have to wade through a lot more that you're not interested in to find the stuff you want. An embarrassment of riches does not mean that the 15p microwave dinner you splurged on back when you were poor and were used to 5p instant noodles qualifies as fine dining. It probably tasted great, but trying to argue that it was a better meal and a better time because your filet mignon didn't come with string beans is just silly.

This guy gets it. I recently replayed Dune 2 and had a ball. It was as good as I remember when I played it on the Amiga.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Hottest post on reddit:

I'm glad of it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/73j5ed/possible_easter_egg_or_wishful_thinking_will/dnqxyae/

quote:

I can see the mobiglass being a cash cow for CIG. If they truly want micro-transactions it's the place to implement them. Allow your community to make games/apps that work on the mobiglass (and give them the tools to do so) then make an App Store.
CIG would approve what's actually able to be downloaded. If something is on there the community member who made it would be paid similarly to how it works with CSGO and DOTAs workshop. Obviously though some stuff some be free like the goofy stuff of things that just serve one purpose. Games would obviously be a paid thing.
Now before I get downvoted hear me out. I'm only suggesting this because I think it'll be good for the community. I don't think CIG will create mobi games so this is probably the only way we'll see them. It also makes it so micro transactions aren't littering other parts of the game. Instead of annoying loot boxes you're actually paying for someone's hard work (that's been approved by CIG) and actually has a practical use.
Any thoughts? Am I totally batshit crazy or is this a good idea?
:allears:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So I just bought Stellaris and Divinity:OS 2...autumn/winter can come, I'm ready!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I loved and played the poo poo out of the original Thief games and Deus Ex as well. The first Dishonored was good too, played through that one a few times.

When it came to Dishonored 2, I had to literally drag myself through the game, got 3 levels into a replay with the other character once I finished, said "gently caress this" and uninstalled.

I can't possibly tell you why. I could sit here all night and try to figure out what was different about it, and why I had no fun at any point during it. I still can't pin it down - something was off about it. It can be that way with any form of entertainment I suppose - you can get all the pieces exactly right and it just won't click with everyone the same way.

I never played the older stealth games, but I had a similar experience with Dishonored 2 compared to the first Dishonored. They did improve some of the guard AI as far as I can tell, so they will react more to finding one of their buddies missing from their previous spot. I also really like the clockwork mansion map that you get to explore during one mission, especially where you can get in behind the scenes of the house and manipulate things more freely. Still, the game has some issues grabbing me like the first one did.

Perhaps it's that the first one made a good job of painting a cool world in my imagination and dropped hints about outlying regions and other continents full of mystery and danger, but when you get to this other nation in 2 it is not as interesting as I imagined it to be.
Perhaps it's because bloodflies are less scary than rat swarms.
Perhaps the locations in the first one - from the prison break map to sneaking along the outside of the overseer building, to the sunken district with the assassins to crossing that large bridge etc. - were more interesting than most of the locations in the second game.
Perhaps my experience with the second game was soured by its performance around launch being absolutely awful, whereas I played the first game after it had already been patched into good shape.
Perhaps the whole revenge style plot and the characters just worked better in 1 than in 2.
Perhaps I am just a different person than I was back when I played 1.

I was in the time travel mansion last I took a break, but that was sometime during the summer. It will probably be Christmas before I pick the game up again and finish it.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Derek: loving nazis!
Thread: Nope! No nazi calling!
Derek: But...but...GRAMMAR NAZIS!
Thread: NOPE!
Derek: okay
Thread: No nazi calling at all!
Derek: Got it...but imma call them nazis tho
Thread: NOPE! NOPE! NOPE!
Derek: Okay...I just call them assclowns
Thread: That's fine
Derek: and little nazis!
Thread: Oh my god we're gonna probate you!

no touchy fishy!

Don't forget the part where he claimed he never called anyone a nazi

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

Don't forget the part where he claimed he never called anyone a nazi

that doesn't fit the touchy fishy vid

https://i.imgur.com/ZigXHzX.gifv

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

Deus Ex (original)
No one has made anything like this game since. Huge sprawling environments, oozing atmosphere, amazing storyline, really freeform gameplay. I used to come away from this game feeling like I'd actually been there, I actually had to re-orient back to reality. And this is before I ever did drugs. The sequels were made with binary 'go this way for combat' or 'go this way for sneaky bit'

I say this as someone who loved Deus Ex: this is the nostalgia talking. Deus Ex is a great game but it’s part of a lineage with games like System Shock, Underworld, Bioshock, Dishonored, and now, weirdly, Prey. All of these succeed in some ways and fail in others compared to Deus Ex but this is a pretty big genre of games.

I think a big part of the nostalgia thing is that the longer you have played games, the harder it is to find something you HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE and the more likely you are to see new games as remixes of old ones. But it’s been like that all the time. I think that feeling of the world opening up as you realize games can do things you didn’t know could be done is rare and fleeting and is more about the order you play games than the games themselves.The starkest evidence of that for me is how revolutionary gamers keep calling Bioshock when I can’t help but see it is a remake of System Shock 2 WITH THE EXACT SAME TWIST.

I will never forget the experience of exploring environments, discovering secrets, and working out how the world fits together in Metroid Prime. It was my first Metroid. It was like nothing I’d played before. But someone could have equally had that experience in MP2 or Super Metroid. Or Dark Souls or Bloodborne for that matter.

You might be delighted to know that Warren Spector is now working at a company making a new Ultimate Underworld follow up and a new System Shock.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

Hottest post on reddit:

I'm glad of it.

this is non jokingly the most compelling content star citizen has to offer right now. I'd like to see more from this weird flat twisty creepy limb world

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Don't make me bring assrapistdude420 in here.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hellblade's sound design really is the best I've come across in a while. Also, do follow the advice to play with headphones.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Meanwhile, E:D ups the bar regarding memorable space fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIACnt8xDEE

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thread saved. :3:

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Stay strong. CIG has been trying to starve us out for over a year we can last a few more weeks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BloodyScab posted:

Stay strong. CIG has been trying to starve us out for over a year we can last a few more weeks.

Lumberyard just got an update. I'm sure they can try to use an integration (i.e. complete engine replacement) of that as an excuse for not delivering for at least 8 more months.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tippis posted:

Lumberyard just got an update. I'm sure they can try to use an integration (i.e. complete engine replacement) of that as an excuse for not delivering for at least 8 more months.

Dunno, that might be a hard sell. Considering they are on record with a 2 day integration previously.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dunno, that might be a hard sell. Considering they are on record with a 2 day integration previously.

"Oh, that? Nooo, it took us 2 days to add the Lumberyard logo to the splash screen, yeah, the update took 8 months to add..."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Yeah, it's going to be absolutely hilarious if CIG tries to integrate John's EmotionFX animation engine which is now part of LumberYard in this update. It's a fantastic but somewhat complex engine. I've tinkered with it for years, but never did end up using it because it was overkill for my games.

The fact that AMZ has now ripped out over 60% of CE3, is testament to how restrictive the CE engine is in the first place. Yet, those lying fuckers at CIG had the audacity to say it took them 2 days to implement LumberYard because they were using the the same (it's bullshit) branch as AMZ. Almost a year later, they still haven't released anything that remotely supports their "switch".

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/914683492788834305

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/914563550085042177

quote:

So @AmznLumberyard just released a major update to LumberYard, proving once again that CryEngine simply isn't suited for all types of games. Good call! Gee, it's almost as if I wrote a whole blog in 2015 about that.

Except in the case of Amazon, they actually took one look and decided, "yeah, we're gonna have to rip it all out to make a decent general purpose engine". Then went ahead and did just that.

@AmznLumberyard Basically created a new custom engine using baseline CryEngine. No, they couldn't have started from scratch with own engine as that would be admitting that someone up the food chain caused AMZ to lose a fortune by licensing CE in the first place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HycoCam posted:

Am I the only one that bought BC3K back in the 90's? I think the UO beta ruined any serious chance I had to get into the game. But it was in my collection for a while.

Stellaris and Steel Division 44 have been great this year. Would play much more Stellaris if there was a smart pause--an option menu that let me set pause conditions kind of thing. Speeding up and slowing down game play works with SD44, but it sure would be nice to leave Stellaris running all day on a third screen and know I could get up and do work when I needed too and not have to worry about missing important events.

All paradox games have that ability, although I havent played Stellaris, and that would be a really weird omission from them...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All paradox games have that ability, although I havent played Stellaris, and that would be a really weird omission from them...

No choosing what different events do in Stellaris at the moment. You can set whether events auto-resume or not (in general, not individually), but that's pretty much it

Bofast fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/914882232011108357

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/73t9ha/psa_evocatti_leaks_hurt_content_creators/?st=J8ABEYOM&sh=1cd28875

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

I've tinkered with it for years, but never did end up using it because it was overkill for my games.
I dunno man. From what people have shown I think your game would be better off with it. Cause it looks pretty ugly and janky as hell right now.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

No grandpa, he's talking about revenue from twitch and youtube.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/average-2-59-million-in-pledges-a-month-is-it-enou

quote:

From August 31st 2012 till now, CIG has earned an average approximate monthly pledge income of $2,585,122.91 in USD.
According to the pledge page https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Will this be enough to cover all operating costs for CIG going forward with the targeted scope of development features?
What are your thoughts on the subject?
e.g.
Is CIG monthly operating costs more or less than 2.5 million a month?
Are there or what could be some other streams of revenue, for development, in use now?
IIRC at gamescom2017 Sandi said CIG is now around 400 employees, labor is an enormous operating cost in addition to software licensing (Autodesk, Adobe, and other products per computer), is 2.5 million a month enough to cover those expenditures?
Has CIG ever released or offered investor relations services to explain business plans going forward?
Has CIG done any venture capital rounds yet or plans to in the future?
Is CIG considering going public in 10 to 20 years or does that not make sense for their company?
For all your IRL business managers, accountants, or just armchair hobbyists... what are your thoughts?
My goal is to have an interesting/thoughtful/constructive discussion.
Thanks for reading!
:thunk:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're jumping to conclusions.

Streamers earn money from viewers, novel content attracts more viewers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Somehow "Star Citizen streamer makes money from streaming Star Citizen" is a breaking scoop now?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

They make (little)money off their streams. You are extrapolating pretty hard there.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lmao

christ you're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

big nipples big life posted:

lmao

christ you're an idiot.

Every time some rando smashes that "Subscribe" button, that's 100% proof of CIG fraudulently paying twitch streamers to sell Star Citizen.