Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't read too much into the ballot printing issue. In some places the vote was done written down in whatever piece of paper it was available after the ballots had been seized up by the police.

Ahahah where are you getting these wild claims from, La Razón?

Between this and the guy who thought people could vote multiple times because the Societat Civl Catalana - an anti-referendum entity that was approximately 0% involved in the actual organisation and didn't send a single observer - said so, I'm starting to question these forums' critical thinking skills.

Altivia fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Full European Commission statement

quote:

European Commission - Statement
Statement on the events in Catalonia

Brussels, 2 October 2017

Under the Spanish Constitution, yesterday's vote in Catalonia was not legal.
For the European Commission, as President Juncker has reiterated repeatedly, this is an internal matter for Spain that has to be dealt with in line with the constitutional order of Spain.
We also reiterate the legal position held by this Commission as well as by its predecessors. If a referendum were to be organised in line with the Spanish Constitution it would mean that the territory leaving would find itself outside of the European Union.
Beyond the purely legal aspects of this matter, the Commission believes that these are times for unity and stability, not divisiveness and fragmentation.
We call on all relevant players to now move very swiftly from confrontation to dialogue. Violence can never be an instrument in politics. We trust the leadership of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to manage this difficult process in full respect of the Spanish Constitution and of the fundamental rights of citizens enshrined therein.

Elman posted:

Those results are in line with the 2015 elections' results which independentist parties declared to be a poll on separatism (they got <50% of the vote). Yeah this referendum was bullshit and had 0 legal warranties but that's irrelevant cause this was a protest, not a real poll. It succeeded in doing exactly what it intended to do.

The thing is they don't even have a majority, and that's even if you put all Catalan nationalists in the same bag (let's just say not all of them approve this crazy "let's secede within 48 hours" scheme). Madrid has mismanaged the situation every step of the way and now they're making things worse through good old fashioned police brutality. On that note, I doubt we've seen the last of that!

Way to go.

The thing is that it looks like a crazy scheme, but this is literally what the law passed by the pro-independence parties in the Catalan Parlament says ( "4. Si en el recompte dels vots vàlidament emesos n'hi ha més d'afirmatius que de negatius, el resultat implica la independència de Catalunya. A aquest efecte, el Parlament de Catalunya, dins els dos dies següents a la proclamació dels resultats oficials per la Sindicatura Electoral, celebrarà una sessió ordinària per efectuar la declaració formal de la independència de Catalunya, concretar els seus efectes i iniciar el procés constituent.") and so far they have shown themselves to be deadly serious about implementing it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Altivia posted:

Ahahah where are you getting these wild claims from, La Razón?

Between this and the guy who thought people could vote multiple times because the Societat Civl Catalana - an anti-referendum entity who was 0% involved in the actual organisation and didn't send a single observer - said so, I'm starting to question these forums' critical thinking skills.

Saw it yesterday with my own very eyes. I'm not saying it happened everywhere, just at the college I was, so it's purely anecdotical. Of course you're free to believe whatever you want.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 2, 2017

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

This referendum being bollocks is hardly relevant to the situation as it's emerging anyway

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Indeed. It is a sad day when the public services devolve into infighting rather than present a unified front to crush the seditious mob :bustem:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Elman posted:

Those results are in line with the 2015 elections' results which independentist parties declared to be a poll on separatism (they got <50% of the vote). Yeah this referendum was bullshit and had 0 legal warranties but that's irrelevant cause this was a protest, not a real poll. It succeeded in doing exactly what it intended to do.

The referendum itself had widespread support among the Catalan population regardless of voting intention, and any irregularities are 100% the fault of Madrid. Also, despite the insane police brutality, it still had millions of people casting legitimate votes. Turnout almost certainly would have been over 50% without the security forces cracking down and preventing/destroying ballots.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Saw it yesterday with my own very eyes. I'm not saying it happened everywhere, just at the college I was, so it's purely anecdotical. Of course you're free to believe whatever you want.

You should probably report that, then. In the 4 centres across my town plus the other 5 or 6 in Barcelona that I had family/friends at the organisers were very clear only official ballots counted and that if they were requisitioned or ran out the voting wouldn't proceed.

Of course, I suppose it's always possible that they were simply counted as "vot nul".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Altivia posted:

You should probably report that, then. In the 4 centres across my town plus the other 5 or 6 in Barcelona that I had family/friends at the organisers were very clear only official ballots counted and that if they were requisitioned or ran out the voting wouldn't proceed.

Of course, I suppose it's always possible that they were simply counted as "vot nul".

It was in a small town in Tarragona and they were overrun by the amount of people from other towns with closed colleges who wanted to vote. Maybe they counted the votes as null ones, as you say, honestly I don't know and it's just first-hand anecdotical evidence. To be honest, some irregularities are to be expected. It was a strange day all around.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The referendum itself had widespread support among the Catalan population regardless of voting intention, and any irregularities are 100% the fault of Madrid. Also, despite the insane police brutality, it still had millions of people casting legitimate votes. Turnout almost certainly would have been over 50% without the security forces cracking down and preventing/destroying ballots.

I support a proper referendum (and I don't mean that in a bullshit "all of Spain should vote" way). I'm just saying this wasn't it. It had no oversight, it was repressed by the police preventing people from voting, and turnout is irrelevant when most people who'd vote No refused to do so cause that'd only make it seem more legitimate.

I still think this whole movement's bullshit demagogy promoted by Catalan politicians that are every bit as corrupt as Madrid's, and none of it will benefit the Catalan people. But by all means, let's impeach Rajoy, start negotiations and hold a proper, legal referendum so Catalan people can actually voice their opinion. I'm all for that.

I'm pretty sure none of that's gonna happen, though.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

It was in a small town in Tarragona and they were overrun by the amount of people from other towns with closed colleges who wanted to vote. Maybe they counted the votes as null ones, as you say, honestly I don't know and it's just first-hand anecdotical evidence. To be honest, some irregularities are to be expected. It was a strange day all around.

In that case I apologise for getting glib with you. For what it's worth I hope stuff like that has been properly taken into account by the international observers that were in the region yesterday. I don't think there's been a full report yet, just some comments from the Slovenian ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs last night that the referendum as a whole had "happened normally on the whole despite significant challenges" or somesuch.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Altivia posted:

In that case I apologise for getting glib with you. For what it's worth I hope stuff like that has been properly taken into account by the international observers that were in the region yesterday. I don't think there's been a full report yet, just some comments from the Slovenian ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs last night that the referendum as a whole had "happened normally on the whole despite significant challenges" or somesuch.

Don't sweat it, there's a lot of anger flying around here and I'm afraid this whole thing will get even worse, we will see.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ThePariah posted:

This feels like the start of a week where decades happen.

Meanwhile Japan's party system is collapsing/completely realigning after a snap election is called,, also Abe might be gone soon along with the postwar Constitution, depending how the election turns out

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

The abandonment of states based on defined historical or pseudohistorical nations and instead resting a vague sense of an undifferentiated "people"?

Read your Benedict Anderson, the USA was the first modern nation, not France. Because nations are imaginary constructs people will create new ones

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The thing is that it looks like a crazy scheme, but this is literally what the law passed by the pro-independence parties in the Catalan Parlament says ( "4. Si en el recompte dels vots vàlidament emesos n'hi ha més d'afirmatius que de negatius, el resultat implica la independència de Catalunya. A aquest efecte, el Parlament de Catalunya, dins els dos dies següents a la proclamació dels resultats oficials per la Sindicatura Electoral, celebrarà una sessió ordinària per efectuar la declaració formal de la independència de Catalunya, concretar els seus efectes i iniciar el procés constituent.") and so far they have shown themselves to be deadly serious about implementing it.

Looks like I was mistaken; never mind what the law says, Puigdemont is calling for international mediation first (Spanish source) for negotiations between the Catalan regional government and the Spanish national government; if the Spanish government refuses, the Catalan Parlament will unilaterally declare independence anyway. The negotiation would have to involve actual discussions of Catalan sovereignty; according to Puigdemont, the Catalans didn't go and vote merely to get financial concessions. He also wants the Guardia Civil and the extra police out of Catalonia. The EU is ruled out as a possible mediator though it would have to recognise the process. Chances of Madrid agreeing to this are.... not high I guess.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mans posted:

take this tom clancy poo poo out of here.

There won't be a successful coup, but there will be a failed one that leads to the rise of a populist strongman ala Erdogan who fancies himself the reviver of the Hapsburg world monarchy and cosplays as Charles V

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 2, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Looks like I was mistaken; never mind what the law says, Puigdemont is calling for international mediation first (Spanish source) for negotiations between the Catalan regional government and the Spanish national government; if the Spanish government refuses, the Catalan Parlament will unilaterally declare independence anyway. The negotiation would have to involve actual discussions of Catalan sovereignty; according to Puigdemont, the Catalans didn't go and vote merely to get financial concessions. He also wants the Guardia Civil and the extra police out of Catalonia. The EU is ruled out as a possible mediator though it would have to recognise the process. Chances of Madrid agreeing to this are.... not high I guess.
They should get Russia to mediate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

icantfindaname posted:

Meanwhile Japan's party system is collapsing/completely realigning after a snap election is called,, also Abe might be gone soon along with the postwar Constitution, depending how the election turns out

I saw him announcing the elections on the news and all I could wonder is "did he not see what happened in the UK?". A good reason to start following the J-Pol thread I guess, to see if hubris is once again given a slap to the face OR if he actually made a smart move.

Edit: Some quick catching up makes it seems like it's nothing like the UK and your comment about "collapsing/completely realigning" is spot on. Good luck with that one, jeez.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 2, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VitalSigns posted:

Props for the most creative defense of police brutality I've seen in a while, I hope this catches on in D&D.

"Well, what if 14-year-old Tamir Rice were sitting on that park bench gassing Jews, bet u wudn't be so quick 2 take his side wud u, really makes u think dont it. Got 2 use logic when it comes 2 these things dont be so emoshunal"
D&D was filled with communists a few years ago and since we're now in the Milos Alt Right internet fad phase everyone in D&D is a radical centrist who is just a hair away from being openly fashy.

Electronico6 posted:

I hope Catalonia gets it's independence, and Spain falls into a blackhole or something, but not before returning Olivença to it's rightful and lawful owner Portugal.

Spare Galiza and agreed.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

Spare Galiza and agreed.

Comedy option: ask the Galizians who they want to be with. Then sit down and enjoy the show.

(Note for non-iberians: the stereotype is that Galizians are indecisive)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mans posted:

D&D was filled with communists a few years ago and since we're now in the Milos Alt Right internet fad phase everyone in D&D is a radical centrist who is just a hair away from being openly fashy.

you'll find all 3 of the centrists probably aren't fascists. the rest are still commies

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Considering how the PP have been attacking Podemos (who are not good people)

The gently caress is this poo poo?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mans posted:

All the communists went to CSPAM, except UKMT which is still very much the UK Marxism thread.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Catalonia declaring itself independent won't have any tangible effect. No other nation will recognise their sovereignty so declaring independence is really pointless and just for appearance. What could a self declared independent Catalonia actually achieve? If some kind of make shift border is set up the Spanish police/army will have it down in minutes. Despite all this violence and strong feeling my bet is that nothing changes, whatever the politicians say. Probably the only result is a slightly more lovely life for the people of Catalonia as the Spanish government cracks down on the region.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

Read your Benedict Anderson, the USA was the first modern nation, not France. Because nations are imaginary constructs people will create new ones

My favorite episode of the creation of the USA is when they decided not to annex all of Mexico because it was just too full of icky mestizos. (Calhoun's speech to Congress, January 4, 1848)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Spare Galiza and agreed.

Santiago is in Galiza, which cuts into Fatima's Religious tourism and gift shop economy. It has to sink into oblivion too.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

Mans posted:

Yeah don't trust a government that cracks open skulls of old ladies sitting in a bench because they wanted to put a paper in a ballot.

hey man that old woman was asking for it because she didn't turn in an already sealed envelope with a PP ballot inside. This is a thing that happens in Spain during elections, entire nursing homes are emptied out and bused to voting locations where the elderly who have no idea where they are or why they're there are conveniently handed a sealed envelope with a PP ballot already inside as soon as they come off the bus. Bastion of democracy, Spain.

Comparisons in this thread between Rajoy and Maduro made me loving lol on the bus to work today. Yeah, Venezuela has been the boogeyman/scapegoat used by the Spanish mainstream media for a while now, even before Podemos, yet that didn't stop the Spanish government authorizing sales of riot gear and tear gas to the very same hostile, authoritarian regime for years. Rajoy isn't a caudillo dictating ex cathedra under the delusion of having a popular mandate; he's a bumbling, corrupt career politician calling the police brutality yesterday appropriate because busting dissident heads is a time-honored tradition among Spanish security forces and that poo poo hasn't changed since Franco if you can believe it. Sure, there are no grey shirts "disappearing" people from their homes in the middle of the night anymore, because social and economic oppression is systemic in the way Spain works politically. You can see it in how the comunidades autonomas have always chafed under Madrid's authority.

Keep in mind that the Spanish National Police recently updated the font on the ID numbers on riot gear to the loving Terminator font, making it even harder to identify cops throwing people down the stairs in a public school or beating up helpless bystanders:

http://www.publico.es/tremending/20...a-ser-ilegible/

AceOfFlames posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Are these people loving EVERYWHERE? Is everyone who is different anywhere going to be rounded up? What the gently caress is HAPPENING to the world? gently caress.

Nah man, these people have always been here, I'll reiterate my previous theory that Spain is so uniquely hosed as a modern nation precisely because the fascists won here. Young people, several generations removed, chanting Cara al Sol and throwing up their arms in a "Arriba Espana" motion because their facha grandparents would always go on about how things were better in the old days, when men were machos, women were either whores, mothers, or nuns, and there was nary a moro (pejorative term for Moroccans) in sight. Once again, these people are loving douchebags, but that didn't stop Esperanza Aguirre, ex-President of the Comunidad de Madrid, who has yet to be indicted in the many, many corruption cases involving Partido Popular (but all her proteges and dear personal friends have been), from showing up and lending her support:

https://twitter.com/MareasCiudadana/status/914253007658930176

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

They can argue fairly easily that there's not a lot of guarantees for the integrity of the results.

The Spanish government can try to do that, but their argument has absolutely zero legitimacy when they themselves were a huge part of why the vote lacked integrity.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: Some quick catching up makes it seems like it's nothing like the UK and your comment about "collapsing/completely realigning" is spot on. Good luck with that one, jeez.

I think it's actually possible (though maybe not likely) that the LDP will end up as the more liberal party, possibly aligned with the left-wing split of the DP, while Mehara's split of the DP and Koike will be the right-wing party. The liberal/centrist wing of the LDP is finally getting tired of Abe and will probably force him out when his term ends in 2018, unless this election goes very well for them. There's precedent for this, in the 90s when the LDP split the first time the LDP went to the Socialists to form a grand coalition to combat the members who left. Koike is as right-wing as Abe on constitutional issues, and this caused the split in the DP as she refused/is refusing to allow DP members who aren't in favor of revision into her party, so you very well might see a liberal LDP administration led by Fumio Kishida and supported by the left DP split that does a 180 on the constitution and runs as its defender against Koike and Maehara

The fact that that's even conceptually possible is pretty nuts IMO, even if it's not likely to happen

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this is a pretty obvious point, but it's a good concise cartoon so...

http://www.kroll.be/index.php?option=dessindujour&Id=2578

*"Previously, I was unsure whether we should be independent." "Now I am. "

Also, good twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914534982793576448
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914536150559285249
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914536980066689025
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914537934073815041
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914538422269816832
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914538959367229443
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914540335136518145

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 2, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Venezuela is the boogeyman for all seasons.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"Rajoy's government is fascistic, but left-wing nationalism is worse" - a Reasonable, Serious Adult

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

"Rajoy's government is fascistic, but left-wing nationalism is worse" - a Reasonable, Serious Adult
He's saying it isn't left-wing nationalism.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Cool your hot takes, that's not what he says at all.

https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/914539968382386177

What he is saying is that the Catalan indy movement is not a left-wing movement.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In European political discourse, "liberal" and especially "neoliberal" are definitely not left-wing. "Liberalizing" something means destroying any sort of regulation and oversight that could have been there before. Basically, when a European say "liberal", you should think "conservative".

Also neoliberalism is a precursor to fascism in 100% of the case. Undeniable historical fact.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

icantfindaname posted:

Liberals are right wing bro.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Liberal / neoliberal in most of the civilized world is a byword for terrible centre-right policies. Its only in America where you lack any sort of actual left-wing political parties or policies that its considered anywhere near "left". And thats only in comparison to your Republicans, who are literally insane maniacs who wave guns around during campaign rallies[1].

[1]https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/09/26/alabama-runoff-candidate-roy-moore-pulls-gun-out-campaign-rally/703313001/#

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Catalanism runs the gamut from the far left to the center-right. It is not tied to any particular idelogy outside of itself, though fascists consistently seem to be opposed to it. You had guys in white power apparel burning Catalan flags in Barcelona yesterday.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Man ,two nationalist-neoliberal movements butting heads.rip spain

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Let's all agree to stop using the following words, in perpetuity:
- left
- right
- liberal
- conservative

Maybe then we can actually start communicating with each other instead of tilting endlessly against our own windmills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mobby_6kl posted:

They should get Russia to mediate.

Catalonia Oblast returns to the embrace of Mother Russia.