Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
in an unusable "gently caress you" sort of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Elysiume posted:

can I submit the fact that I've watched the forums UI steadily degrade over the course of today

u can submit anything u want bb

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
so here's what should be happening when you multiply -2.5 x 1:

code:
0xFFFD8000 * 0x00010000
(0xFFFD * 0x0001) << 16 = 0xFFFD0000
 0x8000 * 0x0001        = 0x00008000
 0xFFFD * 0x0000        = 0x00000000
(0x8000 * 0x0000) >> 16 = 0x00000000
for a total of 0xFFFD8000 (as expected). try printing the intermediate values?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pokeyman posted:

that actually looks really cool

scrollpos supremacy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
frames are back baby

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lowtax is going to spend a week changing the fonts then claim the new look is xenforo 2.0 before disappearing for another 18 months.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jabor posted:

umm

(fuller response in a bit, this just leapt out at me)

e: actually I gotta ask, how exactly is stuff like -0.5 represented? Is there a "negative zero" representation in the integer part?

the fraction is always added to the integer

$FFFF0000 = -1
$FFFF8000 = -0.5

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Elysiume posted:

can I submit the fact that I've watched the forums UI steadily degrade over the course of today

testing in prod I guess

how is that possible. those aren't separate frames. where are the scroll bars coming from??

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Programming on the USS Discovery involves what appears to be WINE

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Shaggar posted:

how is that possible. those aren't separate frames. where are the scroll bars coming from??

set overflow to scroll, always draws scrollbars even when there's no overflow

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

emoji posted:

no, from all the casts and unnamed variables, i'd say it's decompiler output

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sweevo posted:

lowtax is going to spend a week changing the fonts then claim the new look is xenforo 2.0 before disappearing for another 18 months.

He won't disappear this time. He has to stay active in his gbs fatshaming thread

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm guessing decompiled Wine (is that even a thing?) given the Windows calls appended with 'W'

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

emoji posted:

good to know that in the communist utopia of the 2250s we will still be programming spaceships in c

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

emoji posted:

I'm guessing decompiled Wine (is that even a thing?) given the Windows calls appended with 'W'

those are unicode variants of the functions which take a wchar_t string

CreateFileA is the ascii version
CreateFileW is the unicode version

CreateFile gets #defined as one or the other with a compile time switch

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

emoji posted:

As mentioned, the W in there stands for Wide (characters).

(The A variants just translate ASCII to UTF-16 and then call the W variant)

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Ah. I just googled a couple from my phone and saw Wine docs with the MS links not showing the A/W variants in the link metadata

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jabor posted:

so here's what should be happening when you multiply -2.5 x 1:

code:
0xFFFD8000 * 0x00010000
(0xFFFD * 0x0001) << 16 = 0xFFFD0000
 0x8000 * 0x0001        = 0x00008000
 0xFFFD * 0x0000        = 0x00000000
(0x8000 * 0x0000) >> 16 = 0x00000000
for a total of 0xFFFD8000 (as expected). try printing the intermediate values?

i can dump the intermediate values to memory and figure it out yeah

in the meantime i'm working on sprites

time to figure out drawing them transparently lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

that's my aesthetic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

quiggy posted:

good to know that in the communist utopia of the 2250s we will still be programming spaceships in c

of course we won't, only lovely hacked together research code will still be written like that

all the real code will be written in Lisp as the gods and McCarthy intended

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Support! With almost 5 thousand downloads, there hasn’t been a single patreon. A lot of you seem to be interested in me continuing with this project. I have received countless emails and messages telling me that I should continue working on the project. I can’t do that not only completely for free but also pay for the servers and everything else. Thanks for understanding!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

eschaton posted:

of course we won't, only lovely hacked together research code will still be written like that

all the real code will be written in Lisp as the gods and McCarthy intended

If it's good enough for Naughty Dog then it's good enough for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp

I know they only used it as a scripting language, but it's less funny if I explain that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Support! With almost 5 thousand downloads, there hasn’t been a single patreon. A lot of you seem to be interested in me continuing with this project. I have received countless emails and messages telling me that I should continue working on the project. I can’t do that not only completely for free but also pay for the servers and everything else. Thanks for understanding!

i think itll be hard to find a patreon i wouldn't support over a js os

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tyrian is a good choice. best epic megagames release imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't draw but Tyrian's sprites were released under CC-Attribution a few years ago so I can do stuff with them

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there was a platformer in the late 90s, abuse, that used lisp for its core game logic. i’m sure the engine was written in c but literally everything like ai and event handling and physics was done in lisp

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

rjmccall posted:

there was a platformer in the late 90s, abuse, that used lisp for its core game logic. i’m sure the engine was written in c but literally everything like ai and event handling and physics was done in lisp

there are also games by Naughty Dog, like some of the Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter titles, that use a wacky hacked-up variant of common lisp

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember some games really liked utilizing python as well; I think I remember tweaking Vampire Bloodlines python files becaues that game shipped so horribly broken you couldn't even make progress sometimes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i just realised that my lovely "cache last search results in session state" implementation is probably going to cause a heinous memory problem with a large number of users caching 100-500 results each, but I'm having difficulty finding out what would qualify as an "unnacceptably large" amount of data to store in the user session

i mean this app used to be 100%session based storage and crapped objects all over the place so I probably shouldn't be propagating the problem!

edit: I think I'm gonna just rip it out and put the basic 'blank' search into the cache so that it returns quickly but all filtered searches always hit the db pending implementing db side storage instead of using httpContext.Current as a hammer

or there is the option I suggested as a joke which is that I offer users "premium mode" if they pay me and they get caching for their user I'd but nobody else does

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 3, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

tef posted:

The hardest pair of programming problems is naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/status/915037635663425536

click thru for the full thread, gets into game dev tooling, bug fixes, etc.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cjs: Today someone at NASA complimented my 1337 debugging skillz :cool:

This was after I submitted the bug report for the race condition I was asking about upthread. So thanks again thread for helping with that!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JawnV6 posted:

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/status/915037635663425536

click thru for the full thread, gets into game dev tooling, bug fixes, etc.

This is awesome. I'm curious how they pulled the integrated dev data into the game in a way that kept devs from falling too out if date with each other since they presumably work from local builds.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

cis autodrag posted:

This is awesome. I'm curious how they pulled the integrated dev data into the game in a way that kept devs from falling too out if date with each other since they presumably work from local builds.

huh, good question. i'd assumed by the signpost/windows screen side by side that posting a sign was opening a ticket on the backend? so making network calls out for that content and grabbing the latest rather than signpost creation marking up my local repo until i pushed

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

JawnV6 posted:

huh, good question. i'd assumed by the signpost/windows screen side by side that posting a sign was opening a ticket on the backend? so making network calls out for that content and grabbing the latest rather than signpost creation marking up my local repo until i pushed

It's possible they manage assets/content(including game logic scripting) completely separately from their core engine in a way that allows the people responsible for content to work together more smoothly than a typical (D)VCS paradigm.

They may be working with local builds of the engine, but they may not be working only from local copies of content. Judging by how polished the game is and how tuned everything is I would bet they had some sort of in-game dev tools that made the content change -> test -> push loop very very smooth.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

Abuse

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

Tyrian is a good choice. best epic megagames release imo

correct opinion-haver found.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Croteam has some interesting development tools integrated into their Serious engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zrfTFKf_E

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
paging bloody: http://yager.io/CPU/CPU1.html

quote:

Today, we're going to build a simple CPU. We're going to write it in Haskell and use CLaSH to compile it to hardware.
p interesting read although it's a little worrying how quickly haskell syntax has become unfamiliar to me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bkKw32dGw

lol at "error interrupt? just warp to the level select screen"

• Locked thread