Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ISIS refugee kill count in Canada: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Do it ironically posted:

I guess you might be right in the fact, do Japanese people make more homegrown terror attacks (as we would define it) compared to per capita canadian home grown terror attacks, and I'm not sure what that stat is

I don't know either, but even if I did I think you'd be stretching to make a correlation there, let alone show causation.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 2, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

white albertans kill more people with their cars per day than islamic terrorists have ever killed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No surprise some chucklefuck from Alberta is scared of refugees lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Quebec is the most racist province actually

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i live in the interior BC and my opinion of Albertans is not a good one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In any case, I think now that these new tactics have shown their effectiveness and the barrier for an effective attack is at "is able to rent a vehicle" it's incredibly likely we'll see more of them. If only because there's effectively no planning or expertise required. Anyone sufficiently motivated can snap and pull off an attack in the space of a day.

The only solution I can see is better mental health support. Things like earlier intervention in the case of individuals flagged as likely radicalized, not through the legal system, but in partnership with community, religious, and mental health orgs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

*updates canada_goons.mdb*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Pretty sure the only people who have a good opinion on Albertans are Albertans.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
More people in Canada are killed by right wing nationalists than Muslims, ban conservatives imo

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Or maybe if there were some spectrum of response between "do nothing" and "jail him immediately". Some kind of community support or counseling. Nah.

I'm asking out of ignorance here, but would a mandatory intervention of some sort, whether it be counselling with a religious figure or something else, pass muster under the charter? Absent a conviction for something I just wonder if the government can force someone to do anything, especially with regards to religious beliefs.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Also every so often a Japanese dude goes squirrely and stabs a bunch of people in a mall or nursing home for no discernible reason besides mental illness.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who were people in here generally rooting for in the leadership election?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gorau posted:

I'm asking out of ignorance here, but would a mandatory intervention of some sort, whether it be counselling with a religious figure or something else, pass muster under the charter? Absent a conviction for something I just wonder if the government can force someone to do anything, especially with regards to religious beliefs.

I don't know either, but I suspect Drewjitsu might. It doesn't even have to be mandatory, though. Just a polite visit and a referral, maybe making contact with someone in their local religious community asking them to stop in for a chat, etc. I strongly suspect (without any evidence, beyond our approach to mental health in general) that there's no real attempts at any kind of intervention or support, to the extent that people are identified as being at risk/radicalized, the RCMP only intervenes with rather blunt instruments.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 2, 2017

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Do it ironically posted:

you could argue that we're spending resources to bring in refugees while failing to help our own people i live in a high homeless area, someone's kid just stepped on a used needle the other day and i have to deal with homeless everyday including throwing needles into the yard (i rent), and i dont get mad but i have to educate my kids to know that they're homeless mostly because of being in foster care or mental illness and no family to help out but still tell them that you need to be cautious because there is a danger there. since i live in it i think we should focus on that. it boggles my mind no one ever grinds japan or china for not bringing in refugees it's just ok for them to be xenophobic and focus on their own country but whatever

Holy poo poo, you're the dumbest motherfucker alive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ante posted:

Holy poo poo, you're the dumbest motherfucker alive

Well you have to admit they've got an almost progressive view on homelessness and addiction.

On the other hand

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's very Canadian that our terrorists can run someone over, stab them and still pull a 0 on the death count.

Obvs it's horrible for everyone hurt but that's as good as an outcome as you can really hope for when some ISIS wannabe plows a car into people.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I wonder what mr interior bc thinks of the #thankyouthankyou and #loveandcourage. IMMIGRANTS ARE TAKING OVER OURARE POLITICAL PARTIES :freep:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I read the comments on the NDP's Facebook page. That was a mistake :suicide:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That makes sense, the question then is, is there anything that can be done without the force of law behind it? e.g. Is there some way to liaise with community and social support services to have them reach out to at risk individuals? Have someone who is not LEO make contact and offer support.

You don't have to force them to accept help, but you can offer it.

e: Also this was the subject of the whole Bill C-51 pre-crime detention thing the Cons tabled and the Liberal supported, wasn't it?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 10, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nine of Eight posted:

I read the comments on the NDP's Facebook page. That was a mistake :suicide:

They could be a lot worse

I'm not blanking out names because they're already public and shitheaps like this deserve to get called out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CanPol Megathread: Look at Trudeau wearing Muslim socks at the pride parade

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Did any of that get rolled back?

That was after all the Libs' justification for supporting it, so they could modify it later.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Do it ironically posted:

so i just passingly heard the terrorist from Edmonton was a refugee, hmmm

are you still a victoria refugee lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hey if Canadians get really mad about refugees maybe things will get better for indigenous people out of spite.

I can dream

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

that there's no real attempts at any kind of intervention or support, to the extent that people are identified as being at risk/radicalized, the RCMP only intervenes with rather blunt instruments.

Yeah they usually just intervene by handing out bomb parts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Who were people in here generally rooting for in the leadership election?

I would have liked Ashton to take the leadership since I liked her platform, personally.

Drizvolta posted:

Yeah they usually just intervene by handing out bomb parts.

:drat:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 2, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Singh was born in Scarborough and raised his entire life in Canada like how do these peoples brains work???

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's bill C-59, they introduced it right before summer break

https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-59/

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/the-roses-and-thorns-of-canadas-new-national-security-bill/

tl;dr If it goes through, they remove some of the more egregious overreach but the core info sharing thing everybody was opposed to stays, I say 75% chance that was the plan from the start.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Singh was born in Scarborough and raised his entire life in Canada like how do these peoples brains work???

Do you really have to ask? He's not white which means he can't be Canadian.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Wirth1000 posted:

It's almost like conservatives are really dumb...??

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Canadian Conservative twitter is cheering because they all think that Singh will just siphon votes off Trudeau and lead Andrew Scheer to glorious majorities

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

Canadian Conservative twitter is cheering because they all think that Singh will just siphon votes off Trudeau and lead Andrew Scheer to glorious majorities

That's not how things work, especially with a social con at the helm

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Stoked on the NDP result, LOL @ the pitiful number of votes for Ashton. Hopefully future Tumblrite candidates will take note.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's gonna be an awkward Thanksgiving in the Ashton household.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Where's CI in all of this, he's gonna be so sad that his bae *~Nikki~* didn't get the nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Where's CI in all of this, he's gonna be so sad that his bae *~Nikki~* didn't get the nod.

Didn't he get probed for his usual misanthropy in the debt thread?