Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I expected to like lizardmen the least but they're growing on me. I started as the fat frog but I don't really use him beyond garrisoning the main area, putting down rebellions and all that. My main army is a Saurus on a carnosaur, with two scar veterans on carnosaurs, like 14 saurus warriors/temple guard, and some token cavalry/monsters for dealing with archers. It's fun to have the saurus warriors pin down the enemy line and then smash into it with three dudes on t-rexes. My biggest regret is that I cannot recruit more scar veterans at the moment.

You have hosed up real bad my friend. Mazdamundi is comically outrageously powerful.

Between Comet, Banishment, and Ruin of Cities he can kill hundreds via spellcasting. He has Net for clutch roots, and with his level 17 special mount he becomes a serious melee threat in addition to all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

You have hosed up real bad my friend. Mazdamundi is comically outrageously powerful.

Between Comet, Banishment, and Ruin of Cities he can kill hundreds via spellcasting. He has Net for clutch roots, and with his level 17 special mount he becomes a serious melee threat in addition to all this.

Also his Tier 1 spell buffs allow you to continue to absolutely win any engagement with Saurus

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A wizard killing hundreds of people with one spell is boring to me. Three guys riding t-rexes killing hundreds of enemies is not.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So something I'm wondering - if they follow the same DLC-pattern with 2 as they did for 1, adding 3-4 more factions (depending on how you count Bretonnia)... who is left for the third game? They've already blown through all the ones I know except for Tomb Kings and they'd be a pretty obvious DLC addition for 2 given the locations in-game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So something I'm wondering - if they follow the same DLC-pattern with 2 as they did for 1, adding 3-4 more factions (depending on how you count Bretonnia)... who is left for the third game? They've already blown through all the ones I know except for Tomb Kings and they'd be a pretty obvious DLC addition for 2 given the locations in-game.

Chaos Dwarves and Daemons of Chaos for all four Gods. Potentially Cathay if they wanna get creative.

Daemons of Chaos for each deity is the obvious centerfold though.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Will Daemons of Chaos expand the map again ? Or is the map complete once we have Mortal Empires ?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ogre kingdoms as well i think for game 3

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Game 3 won't have any "good guy" factions in it unless they go all in on fleshing out factions that never had army books (Kislev, the not-Asians).

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Hammerstein posted:

Will Daemons of Chaos expand the map again ? Or is the map complete once we have Mortal Empires ?

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 2, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tomb Kings, Araby, Estalia/Tilea for this one.

Four chaos god armies, demons, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs for game 3. Maybe Kislev as well? As other people have said there are minor human factions in the east they could get creative with in the form of Fantasy India, China, and Japan.

One thing that I think would be cool would be regiments of renown replacing roaming armies and mercenary companies being a playable horde faction. Maybe your goal would be to hire yourself out to certain people to help accomplish their objectives for X amount of turns. The goal as a mercenary horde would be to earn X amount of fame (like the chivalry function for Bretonnia) and a boatload of gold, rather than smashing cities like the chaos horde factions - although you could do that too to get the gold if you want.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, at first I though that game 3 was unlikely to have Ind and Cathay on the map, but considering they did half the world in 2, I think it's a good deal more possible now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Lol when you see the entire map laid out in one shot it really shows how incredibly lazy GW's design of the warhammer world is. I mean it's barely altered at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Lol when you see the entire map laid out in one shot it really shows how incredibly lazy GW's design of the warhammer world is. I mean it's barely altered at all.
Yeah, but it also lets you make jokes about the Dark Elves being Canadians.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Beans posted:

Does anything go in the southern part of Africa or did they just pretend that doesn't exist

It seems like the obvious regions for a third game are Cathay, Ind, and southern Africa.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does anything go in the southern part of Africa or did they just pretend that doesn't exist

It seems like the obvious regions for a third game are Cathay, Ind, and southern Africa.

The whole of Africa is already in game two though? That's where Queek starts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZeusJupitar posted:

The whole of Africa is already in game two though? That's where Queek starts.

Ahh ok I thought that was South America

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Quetgar, buddy, are you feeling alright?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Tomb Kings, Araby, Estalia/Tilea for this one.

Four chaos god armies, demons, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs for game 3. Maybe Kislev as well? As other people have said there are minor human factions in the east they could get creative with in the form of Fantasy India, China, and Japan.

One thing that I think would be cool would be regiments of renown replacing roaming armies and mercenary companies being a playable horde faction. Maybe your goal would be to hire yourself out to certain people to help accomplish their objectives for X amount of turns. The goal as a mercenary horde would be to earn X amount of fame (like the chivalry function for Bretonnia) and a boatload of gold, rather than smashing cities like the chaos horde factions - although you could do that too to get the gold if you want.

I thought I remember a developer interview at one point where they said they were discussing maybe spinning hobgoblins off to their own faction. I could see that working with them focusing on huge masses of lightly armored glass cannon cav. They basically live partially in fantasy-mongolia and partially as wandering stepps nomads in employ/slavery of the Chaos Dwarves, and might make an interesting Atilla-like faction.

You're also going to have Chaos Dwarves centered in the Fantasy Middle east, the Ogre Kingdom is essentially in Siberia and Central Asia. Ind/Cathay/Nipon are all around and have some interesting units in the fluff like elephant cav, magical terracotta steampunk robots, and the Ninjas that taught gutter runners how to do what they do.

Depending on how far west you cut off the map, if you include Kislev then you've got enough of the worlds edge mountains to bring back the Revenge of the Neverending Dwarf-Greenskin Punchup as well.

By that point every other race not in the game is fleshed out and they *could* just make it to where if you bought the first two games/dlc you can play any force you want as an expeditionary force. It'd give a reason to breakout some of the other named characters to send that way as Legendary Lords like Boris Toddbringer, Thorek Ironbrow, Alith Anar and the like.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Will Dark Elves ever get Kharibdyss or Medusa units?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Google Image Search "Power Metal Album Covers" to get a proper grip of what you'll be getting on the third installment

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

¨

Hat Metal

I wonder if they'll change it so there are no longer any generic race name factions in the Mortal Empires campaign. In the vortex campaign, there are no "High Elves" or "Lizardmen" faction, and it would be kind of weird if we suddenly started having "Dwarfs" and "Greenskins" when we get to the Old World, rather than "Karaz-a-Karak" (or "Karaz Ankor"?) and whatever Grimgor's boys are called.

On that note I wonder if Teclis will be put in Ulthuan (leading Saphery or as a second legendary lord for Lothern maybe) or somewhere else, maybe close to the Old World. Queek almost certainly will start in Skavenblight or Karak Eight Peaks.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 2, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Randarkman posted:

Quetgar, buddy, are you feeling alright?

On the flipside a swarm of fliers would gently caress up skaven good, given their lack of "archers."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trip report: the Queek New Model Army is a resounding success, managing to kill and rout a complete boatload of Skinks and Saurus Warriors plus Cold One and dinosaur support. A dinosaur riding a dinosaur may be frightening, but they ain't poo poo when looking down the barrels of 16 Warp Lightning Cannons. The Runners are better skirmishers than anything the lizards can make, and two units even managed to rout Kroxigors while a brave Clanrat unit got repeatedly murdered by them.

I was having my doubts re: playing Skaven for a bit there, but they really start taking off once you get some real killy units up and running. It's like Dwarfs, except your crutch in early game isn't your stupidly-effective basic units but rather an unending swarm of rats and two key units that you cannot lose in any circumstance. And unlike Dwarfs, you also get good magic options, a lot more tactical and strategic flexibility in the form of actual skirmishers and monstrous creatures, Menace Below, and ambush mechanics up the wazoo, while you also get some disgustingly good artillery and weapon teams. Well done CA, give me my Jezzails soon please

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I have an alternative Skaven single player army comp: 6 warp lightning cannons and the rest skavenslave spears. Its essentially unbeatable in battle.

Sieges are a problem tho.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

Trip report: the Queek New Model Army is a resounding success, managing to kill and rout a complete boatload of Skinks and Saurus Warriors plus Cold One and dinosaur support. A dinosaur riding a dinosaur may be frightening, but they ain't poo poo when looking down the barrels of 16 Warp Lightning Cannons. The Runners are better skirmishers than anything the lizards can make, and two units even managed to rout Kroxigors while a brave Clanrat unit got repeatedly murdered by them.

I was having my doubts re: playing Skaven for a bit there, but they really start taking off once you get some real killy units up and running. It's like Dwarfs, except your crutch in early game isn't your stupidly-effective basic units but rather an unending swarm of rats and two key units that you cannot lose in any circumstance. And unlike Dwarfs, you also get good magic options, a lot more tactical and strategic flexibility in the form of actual skirmishers and monstrous creatures, Menace Below, and ambush mechanics up the wazoo, while you also get some disgustingly good artillery and weapon teams. Well done CA, give me my Jezzails soon please

Yeah I absolutely love Skaven for this reason. I'm a huge fan of artillery in the game but I like having lots of tactical flexibility too, which is part of the reason why in game 1 my favourite faction to play as was Empire. Skaven scratch that itch as well as having bags of personality to boot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Will Dark Elves ever get Kharibdyss or Medusa units?
I think its incredibly likely that we'll get more "Grim and Grave" style DLCs, so yeah probably. Pair off the two elven races and the lizardmen and skaven for extra lords, startpos, units, and RoRs, while adding race packs for Tomb Kings, Araby, and probably Estalia/Tilea colonists. I think they're also continuing their plan of adding extra units for free like in WH1. While most of those were casters for the new lores, the VC especially had their roster fairly fleshed out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

On the flipside a swarm of fliers would gently caress up skaven good, given their lack of "archers."

Yeah I've been fighting a lot of armies like that in my Queek campaign and while the skinks are generally more annoying than anything else (they will happily waste ammo on a frontline of clan rats that's doing nothing but sit there and take it, while slingers/globe throwers/warpfire just tear them apart), but the fliers are a real pain in the rear end. The slingers can reach them, but aren't really accurate enough to do more than plink away at them and for some reason will immediately rout if the fliers decide to charge them, even if said fliers are at like 10% health left (I say "for some reason" but obviously the reason is Skaven).

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah Skaven have a bit of a rough early game because their really good units are all behind tier 3+ buildings - but once you get there they get REALLY good. Your frontline will still collapse under a stiff breeze but you can do so much damage with your artillery that the enemy barely has an army left by the time they reach it. I guess the point of all the Skaven's campaign growth bonuses is to get them up there as quickly as possible, but even so, you end up depending a lot on the initial high tier units you start with and it hurts a lot if you lose one.

Also seconding jezzails. Slings are boring, I want my lines of rats with guns.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 2, 2017

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Fishstick posted:

I'm having a hard time getting momentum in my Mazdamundi campaign. I kind of want to claim all of the south jungle just for economic purposes, but leaving the Delves up north alone has cost me in my last game. They were the first to get a ritual done, and all delf factions ended up with a hateboner for me. I think I went for a second army too fast and the upkeep is what necked me.

Any tips for earlygame Mazdamundi?

Im doing...ok? After getting my initial province I focused on befriending and then inevitably betraying the humans to the south. I then crushed all the orcs I could find and started my second army to move north.

I befriended all the southern lizardmen tribes and the dwarves and set up as many trade routes with the high elves as I could.

Currently my southern expansion stalled due to Skrolk confederating a turn before I did and conquering my acquired cities. I'm slowly pushing him out while I made the jump to the northern delf city. I figure I'll use it as a jumping point to raze the north to ashes.

My next plan is to start invading Uluthan and teach those uppity elves why they shouldn't get slightly ahead of me in the ritual race.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fishstick posted:

I'm having a hard time getting momentum in my Mazdamundi campaign. I kind of want to claim all of the south jungle just for economic purposes, but leaving the Delves up north alone has cost me in my last game. They were the first to get a ritual done, and all delf factions ended up with a hateboner for me. I think I went for a second army too fast and the upkeep is what necked me.

Any tips for earlygame Mazdamundi?

Early on your opponents are Old Norse, Empire, Skaven and Savage Orcs. As Lizardmen you can lean pretty heavily on shielded Saurus against them. A battleline of 8-10 with some Saurus spears and the Temple Guard for large units and Skinks/Cold Ones to deal with ranged units will smash almost anything they can throw at you, plus you have a Bastiladon you can chuck in and cause terror with (seriously, the fact that it has a laser cannon on it's back is almost an afterthought). I got lucky and got a Scar-Veteran from an event so he pretty much murdered anything I threw him at but you can easily get a Skink Chief as a support hero and once he's levelled up enough to get mounted he can fly around the main lines and tear up archers :black101:

I would get a second army fairly quickly but only add in a few Skink cohorts and use it to snap up the Coast of Squalls which is all non-Skaven ruins. You can also pick up a lot of magic items this way too. Once that area is secured you can build it up along with the rest of your territory and fit out the army properly.

The key to earning the big bucks as Lizardmen is the income increase buildings. All of my settlements have a wall, a Skink favela, and either a port, resource building or a lodestone. The lodestone adds a nice 10% to all income. In the province capital, I have a geomantic building, which can add up to another 10-15%, and a Shrine to the Old Ones, which is another 5-12%. Add that to the crafting commandment which can add another 2-10% and it all starts adding up really quickly. I went from struggling to upgrade my armies and settlements at around turn 40-50 to turn 60-70 where all of this kicked in and I was suddenly struggling to spend the money, only being held back by growth and the demolition of most of my starting province to make room for more exotic unit buildings. And this is without any trade because everyone hates my guts because I stabbed the Empire dudes in the back. Seriously, look at this poo poo

+90 attitude and they still refuse any agreement because I murdered some warmbloods without telling them :argh:

Aside from that, I have the north fortified against the Dark Elves but they seemed unwilling to come south due to Morathi pushing their poo poo in and she has the Naval Aggressor trait so she's pretty much gone full WAAAAGH on the High Elves. Works for me!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah I absolutely love Skaven for this reason. I'm a huge fan of artillery in the game but I like having lots of tactical flexibility too, which is part of the reason why in game 1 my favourite faction to play as was Empire. Skaven scratch that itch as well as having bags of personality to boot.

I'm wondering what makes Warp Lightning Cannons feel so much more effective than Dwarf Cannons. Is it really just the height advantage (hah)? Or is there something special about the projectile, a wider hitbox or whatever?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah Skaven have a bit of a rough early game because their really good units are all behind tier 3+ buildings - but once you get there they get REALLY good. Your frontline will still collapse under a stiff breeze but you can do so much damage with your artillery that the enemy barely has an army left by the time they reach it. I guess the point of all the Skaven's campaign growth bonuses is to get them up there as quickly as possible, but even so, you end up depending a lot on the initial high tier units you start with and it hurts a lot if you lose one.

Also seconding jezzails. Slings are boring, I want my lines of rats with guns.

If there's a criticism I can offer about the Skaven army progression (and Empire too), it's that I'm not a fan of having to wait for thresholds before your race's armies actually start feeling like what they're supposed to, and instead have to make do with spamming stupidly large amounts of effective units while you turtle up and develop. Empire early-game for me was just a giant gently caress-off stack of Swordsmen, Free Company, and Crossbowmen plus your LL's starting units, and here it's just a billion Clanrats or Skavenslaves. It works, but it's hardly inspiring.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So apparently according to reddit blessed spawnings seem to have the old RoR glitch where they don't fully count as their base unit for the purposes lord buffs. Blessed Saurus Warriors still get Korq's discount but not his readline buffs. Poor Maz dosn't even get that as his discount only seems to count for regular temple guards.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yeah, breaking treaties has given you the "Unreliable" trait, instead of Trustworthy or Steadfast, so no-one trusts your treaties to be worth the tablet its carved into.

Over time your rating will recover, but I don't know how to speed that up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

So apparently according to reddit blessed spawnings seem to have the old RoR glitch where they don't fully count as their base unit for the purposes lord buffs. Blessed Saurus Warriors still get Korq's discount but not his readline buffs. Poor Maz dosn't even get that as his discount only seems to count for regular temple guards.

I'm not sure that's true, I'm sure my Blessed Saurus Warriors get the full redline bonuses since I can see their armor getting boosted.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Cause many casualties, yes. Not win a battle.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kroq-Gar is cool. His starting position is more of a fun sandbox compared to Malekith, who's the only other Lord I've tried. I've elected to just rampage southwards and take the whole coast. Clan Mors is dirt and the next enemy on the horizon are those Vampires, the Necrachs, who are currently the #1 world power to my #2. Just figured out I had to build a pylon to get any use out of the geomantic web on turn 25 or so, feel dumb for not doing it sooner.

What do your Lizard armies look like? Are Saurians a pretty sturdy backbone through the whole game?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Randarkman posted:

Cause many casualties, yes. Not win a battle.

This is what drives me absolutely bug-gently caress nuts about chariots in the Warhammer TW games. They never make an appreciable difference in the out come of a battle but in the AIs hands they are irritating as gently caress

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Here's a post from reddit on how auto-resolve works for those interested:

quote:

Alright, I have seen a few threads poping up about how some auto-result calculations are completely bonkers or make no sense.

In this thread I'm going to try and explain how and why this happens.

First of all the first thing to understand is that Auto-resolve is a pure number game, the calculation does not take into account any strategy, counters or whatever so don't try to rationalize a completely crazy score by saying "oh yeah but if he uses that cavalry to trigger a mass rout it could work".
This level of calculation is far beyond what was programmed.

Here is how it works :
Missile damage and Ammunition is by far the stats that have the most impact on auto-resolve.

Basically the game always considers that ranged troops and artillery will fire ALL their ammunition. That's why artillery with high missile damage is so powerful on auto-resolve.

This is why the most powerfull unit in Auto-Resolve calculations is the Hellbaster gun.

If you want to play an easy-mode campaign just pick Balthazar Gelt and auto-resolve your way to complete domination while your starting Hellblaster racks up thousands of kills per battle.

Another thing to note is how ranged and melee units work, let me explain.
ranged unit are considered as never engaging the enemy in melee until all allied melee units are dead. that's why right now if you have a high elf army mostly made up of Sea Guards your melee focused units like white lions or swordmasters will get slaughtered in Auto-resolve, they're considered as tanking the entire enemy army for your Sea Guards who are calculated as ranged units.

That's also why a pure Sea Guard army takes so much damage if there is nothing to tank.

Now healthpoints + Charge bonus is also a close second for most powerful stats combo (that's why Kroxigors are absolute beasts in auto-resolve) but unlike artillery the charge+health combo is for melee units and as I explained they risk losing HP as they take damage during the Auto-Resolve.

Given what I just said you'd be right in thinking that missile cavalry is very powerful in Auto-Resolve but due to their low health they'll get slaughtered in the action (while taking hundreds of enemy casualties with them)

Hope this helped

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have a link to a youtube being good at this or tw:w and explaining why they do x y or z. I'm really, really bad at both this and tw:w and want to be better.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

What do your Lizard armies look like? Are Saurians a pretty sturdy backbone through the whole game?

Saurians are both your hammer and anvil, they're that good. People are down on Cold One Riders but I personally appreciate them if only because they're your only cavalry unit and at least they're both sturdy and strong. Of the dinosaur choices, I think plain Stegadons are the best, since their poison ballista gives you an actual anti-heavy flier option and still does a decent job at raking enemy units with artillery fire. Lastly, I like taking two units of Terradons just because they can fly in and tear up enemy artillery, which is the biggest threat to your slow-moving lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any good/skillful Mazdamundi LP'ers folks can recommend at the moment? I want to skim through what they've got going on to benchmark myself against. I learned a whole lot about how to play optimally by watching Legend of Total War, but the dude actively admits that he basically hates the Warhammer setting throughout each and every video. It's really grating to watch honestly. Also high elves are heavily archer based, which is the complete opposite of the lizardmen composition.