Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Keiya posted:

Also they didn't do Genesis-style remixes of stuff like City Escape, boo :P

Classic City Escape had the Mega Drive drum samples at least! On the other hand Classic Planet Wisp might be the best track in the game, alongside Modern Chemical Plant.

The best vocal song in Sonic history, however, is Work It Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Infinite's theme is great and I like it totally without irony.

it sounds like it'd be more at home in Dead Rising but whatever I'm game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Classic City Escape had the Mega Drive drum samples at least! On the other hand Classic Planet Wisp might be the best track in the game, alongside Modern Chemical Plant.

The best vocal song in Sonic history, however, is Work It Out.

You've got to MAKE IT REAL

You've got to make it real

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So emerald number five in mania is kind of bullshit, huh?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Just lol if you don't like Fly in the Freedom and all of Rouge's jazzy stage themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3efbFgPLC0

Rouge's music was amazing and Sonic is probably not getting anything like it again

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been stuck on that one for a while now. I keep forgetting about the sections with no walls and falling off.

I got to Mach 3 and got close once, then I hit one of the flashing bombs and lost too many rings. :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Schwarzwald posted:

5 and 6 are much harder than 7. 7 is actually pretty fun.

I'm mostly annoyed because my inability to find any more giant rings after I finally got #6 was the only thing preventing me from perfecting my Knuckles run from a few days ago. I'm waiting for the Switch to get the 1.03 patch before i do my Tails playthrough.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kikas posted:

At least SA2 didn't have this atrocity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHw8o6UI9M
:colbert:

Yeah it did. Unchanged, even.

e:Also, SAGE is happening.
Go play cool Sonic fangames! And cool non-Sonic fangames!

Crash N. Tense Adventure is unbeliavably good. Like, holy poo poo.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 2, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's me, I'm the one who likes Knight of the Wind. :shobon:

Schwarzwald posted:

It felt like they made it harder than the last two since you'd be on midgame by that point, and they intend for you to get the last two during the endgame so they made it easier. Here's how I cleared it:

- At Mach 1, you'd want to stick as close to the UFO since it could very easily create too big a lead for you to catch up. Just follow it closely while getting any rings you can.
- Ignore the side paths, since you can get enough blue spheres from the main course. The ramps are traps that shave off too much speed, so only use it when Mach 3 to get some rings.
- Near the end of the course, there's a ring sphere you can bounce off to get to another ring sphere and a mach up sphere. If you've been following the UFO closely while at Mach 1, get this and you should be able to catch the UFO by the next lap.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Focus on rings exclusively on your first lap and you'll be fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

amigolupus posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes Knight of the Wind. :shobon:

The hell kind of person doesn't like Knight of the Wind?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'd make an argument that Seven Rings In Hand is also pretty good, but the fact that Secret Rings plays the song way too much really hurts it

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Half of Sonic Adventure's soundtrack is recycled from Sonic 3D Blast, and the other has euphemisms about Amy shaving her privates.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

5 and 6 are much harder than 7. 7 is actually pretty fun.

I'm mostly annoyed because my inability to find any more giant rings after I finally got #6 was the only thing preventing me from perfecting my Knuckles run from a few days ago. I'm waiting for the Switch to get the 1.03 patch before i do my Tails playthrough.

6 is pretty easy as well I found, I blasted through 6 and 7 in one try after being stuck on 5 for so long

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sockser posted:

Focus on rings exclusively on your first lap and you'll be fine.

I did that and ran out of rings by lap seven, with the UFO no where in sight.

amigolupus posted:

The ramps are traps that shave off too much speed,

I didn't realize that. Thanks!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The hell kind of person doesn't like Knight of the Wind?

oh yeah I love Christopher Cross

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Stink Terios posted:

And Sonic the Hedgehog [2006], for some reason!

(I mean, yeah, it's a returning entry, this time with Dusty Desert instead of Kingdom Valley but...)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

it's hard but not bullshit, no

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

I'd make an argument that Seven Rings In Hand is also pretty good, but the fact that Secret Rings plays the song way too much really hurts it

isn't that the one that plays on the main menu and restarts every time you change screens?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

MAKE BELIEVES REBOR---

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stink Terios posted:

Yeah it did. Unchanged, even.

well i clicked one and http://knuckleschaotix.net/fom.htm

hooooooly poo poo

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

corn in the bible posted:

hooooooly poo poo

This is amazing

quote:

That's right, folks!! I have been working, together with some friends of mine since November 2015 on a third and probably final chapter in the RPG triology!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

corn in the bible posted:

hooooooly poo poo

It was my hope that we'd get two good Sonic games this year, but perhaps we're getting three??

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

That RPG Maker game is insanely bad.

I couldn't handle more than 16 minutes.
The second life cutscene screenshots. My God.

e: I'm the curve

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stink Terios posted:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Dabir posted:

isn't that the one that plays on the main menu and restarts every time you change screens?

yes. every time you visit the main menu in between missions. or get mission results for any stage, you get MAKE BELIEVE'S REBORN!

Every single time. And it's also the final boss song, like they forgot that they used it way too many loving times.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
I liked the credits music for Secret Rings because it was this bizarrely out-of-place soul ballad with piano accompaniment that, most importantly, did not contain the lyrics MAKE BELIEVE'S REBORN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKywKqzp5jM

I still find it hard to believe this song was in a Sonic game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Stink Terios posted:

You weren't kidding! I'm genuinely impressed by that little thing. It's very well done, feels real good to play and a surprisingly charming aesthetic.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pretty hosed up that SAGE happened without me knowing so I couldn't at least release the Snoic Generatons 2017 character creator that may or may not suddenly print out a picture of your character without asking you for permission

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rouge's music was amazing and Sonic is probably not getting anything like it again

Rouge is the one character I wish they completely redesigned character and gameplay wise. A bat spy with jazzy music like that could make for a cool gameplay concept

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I unironically love Rouge actually. She played Eggman and Shadow like fiddles (while not even bothering to use an alias) in SA2 and took no bullshit from anyone in Heroes. I forget what she was doing in Shadow the Hedgehog but she's still pretty awesome.

Sadly it seems like she's been booted to tertiary character based on her 1 second appearance in the background in the Forces story trailer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know, Sonic 06's story really wasn't that bad. Like all you really had to do was take out all the humans and make them also little woodland critters, and it would have been weird camp-y fun. I actually liked a lot of the stages in 06. Hell the final boss was pretty cool too. Not to mention you get to ride around in all of Shadows cool cars and poo poo, and Silver's game-play was innovative if a little shoddy. So if Forces is a cleaned up Sonic 06, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The snowboarding bit in 06 was rad as gently caress too. How many of you guys actually played Sonic 06?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sonic 06 isn't a fundamentally terrible game. It has a lot of good ideas, even. The problem is that they released it unfinished and in a borderline unplayable state.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Turtlicious posted:

The snowboarding bit in 06 was rad as gently caress too. How many of you guys actually played Sonic 06?

The snowbording flat didn't work and was as awkward to control as the rest of it. The game is poo poo. And no the plot wouldn't have been campy fun if they were all woodland critters, it just would have been loving stupid and melodramatic. Unleashed had the perfect mix of dramatic and light hearted, it felt like an adventure and a pixar film.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sonic 06 isn't a fundamentally terrible game. It has a lot of good ideas, even. The problem is that they released it unfinished and in a borderline unplayable state.

No goddamnit no. Sonic 06 is a fundametally flawed game that only expanded on every terrible aspect of the Adventure games, without having any ideas good enough to outweigh that. Noone needs huge sprawling hubworlds with gently caress-all to do in them and they're completely superfluous to having a coherent world, as Colors (or Shadow or even Heroes to an extent) demonstrated. The Mach Speed sections were poo poo and I don't think that polished controls could save those. Combat sections do not belong in normal levels, bouncing of enemies should be the way to progress. Bosses should not have extended periods where the player can only wank around, with no visible danger or opportunity for attack.

Sonic 06 is a bad game at heart and it's only saving grace was that it does write itself out of existance in the real ending.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yah there's no need for historical revisionism

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zelder posted:

Yah there's no need for historical revisionism

That was the whole thing, without historical revisionism the plot would have to be completely different:v:

bloodmeal
Sep 30, 2017

amigolupus posted:

It felt like they made it harder than the last two since you'd be on midgame by that point

I'm pretty convinced they did some last minute zone swapping and thats why the difficulty of the emeroids is all over the place. I also blame this for the weird lack of level transitions for some of the zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

You know, Sonic 06's story really wasn't that bad. Like all you really had to do was take out all the humans and make them also little woodland critters, and it would have been weird camp-y fun. I actually liked a lot of the stages in 06. Hell the final boss was pretty cool too. Not to mention you get to ride around in all of Shadows cool cars and poo poo, and Silver's game-play was innovative if a little shoddy. So if Forces is a cleaned up Sonic 06, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Turtlicious posted:

lol