Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Thank you very very much. Considering I basically have a 22" 1080p screen and like a 7 year old 1680x1050 it will be the massive upgrade I'm looking for with a few caveats which is how it goes when you're being cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally got the funds available for an upgrade and wanted to double-check the link to a monitor purchase before I pull the trigger:

https://acerrecertified.com/acer-lcd-widescreen-monitor-34-display-ips-uw-qhd-screen-led-g-sync-60-hz/

I had initially wanted the Asus ROG PG348Q, but it's a couple hundred bucks (even recertified) that don't really seem worth it. Anything I need to know? Like 100Hz+G-Sync can be active at the same time? I was just going to grab it with the 2 year warranty to make sure everything is kosher.

Ehh tax kinda hinks things up a little bit. I guess this is where I'm at thought-wise:

1) Refurb Acer X34: 3 month warranty - $805
2) Refurb Asus PG348: 6 month warranty - $950
3) Refurb Acer X 34: 2 year warranty - $904

Anything to help figure out this 3-way tie would help out! I don't know if the Asus is that much better than the Acer or if there are other factors to consider. Thanks again!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I find 1440p at 27 inch a little too small for comfort, though lately I've been trying to force myself to get used to it. Mainly because dpi scaling introduces too many small issues.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Thermopyle posted:

Mainly because dpi scaling introduces too many small issues.

Could you be more specific? I've been thinking of switching to 1440p and been wondering about the scaling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Terminally Bored posted:

Could you be more specific? I've been thinking of switching to 1440p and been wondering about the scaling.

Most of the issues I encounter from using multiple displays. My side monitors are 1920x1200, and my main monitor is 2560x1440. If you scale just one of the displays just weird stuff happens.

This blog post from Microsoft covers some of them. I'm sure there's others I just can't remember all the things I've experienced.

None of them are big showstoppers, its just kind of like death by a million cuts.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is there a good way to find out why my computer doesn't let my monitor sleep half the time? It's happened with two monitors now and with VGA, DVI and DP, and powercfg returned no results. Just sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and since I'm using DP now I'd prefer not to turn the monitor off manually.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Most of the issues I encounter from using multiple displays. My side monitors are 1920x1200, and my main monitor is 2560x1440. If you scale just one of the displays just weird stuff happens.

This blog post from Microsoft covers some of them. I'm sure there's others I just can't remember all the things I've experienced.

None of them are big showstoppers, its just kind of like death by a million cuts.

Bear in mind this is largely application specific - I regularly use one app that behaves badly with scaling, which is mumble. And I don't run that program to look at its UI. Even then it's just some out of scale menu items, everything else is just fine:

I'm not quite the same as Thermopyle though, I run my 27" 1440p monitor at 100%, my second is 4k run at 200%, so it's at least integer scaling. There's no visible blur. Mostly it's programs that try to handle DPI properly and gently caress it up. I've not had any problems in programs that aren't DPI aware.

Regarding size of on-screen elements, I found 27" 1440 to work out very similarly to the 24" 1920x1200 I upgraded from.

eames
May 9, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Scaling does cause some strange side effects, even in games that should not be affected. There's an option to override this behavior for each .exe though.

I found that 1440p on a 24" works fine for me as long as I set Chrome's default zoom to 110%. My old screen was a 1080p 27" panel.
I'm used to smaller GUI elements from using macOS/iOS with scaling options that display more content on the screen so your mileage may vary.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

..btt posted:

Regarding size of on-screen elements, I found 27" 1440 to work out very similarly to the 24" 1920x1200 I upgraded from.

That's great to hear, I'm on Dell U2412M right now and I love it very much but 16:10 is kinda bothersome as not everything supports it for some reason and PS3/4 stuff is stretched and looks like rear end. Interpolation is good, every Dell I had did it well somehow.

I've been eyeing U2715H as there's no reason for me to move onto a 27'' 1080p, and that model is at that sweet spot where it's fast enough for my games (I don't need 144Hz), not laggy (I lock everything at vsync, so 16ms lag is no prob) and I'd appreciate the extra 240p pixels with the 16:9 ratio. I do a lot of writing mostly, so stuff like wide gamut is not important either.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

NewFatMike posted:

Ehh tax kinda hinks things up a little bit. I guess this is where I'm at thought-wise:

Anything to help figure out this 3-way tie would help out! I don't know if the Asus is that much better than the Acer or if there are other factors to consider. Thanks again!

I haven't heard much about anyone's X34 making GBS threads the bed after break-in (or at all, really), so I'd be prone to suggest the 3 month warranty, especially since you can often argue your way to an extended warranty through your credit card. One thing to pay attention to is the return policy from wherever you're looking to purchase, to ensure you don't end up having to get stuck with a panel with some noticeable dead pixels because it would cost you $150 to return it or whatever.

I'd skip the ASUS because it's not functionally different from the X34--same panel and everything. The only real difference is the OSD, which is a bit nicer, but you're going to use that all of once to enable overclocking to 100Hz and then leave it there forever, so I don't see that as being worth $100+. If you think the aesthetic difference is worth the price...well I guess that's on you.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Welp 2 or 3 hours in and I'm in love. Made a few of the recommended tweaks on color setting and contrast and so far running windows with the 115% scaling on both monitors and I'm pretty happy so far.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DrDork posted:

I haven't heard much about anyone's X34 making GBS threads the bed after break-in (or at all, really), so I'd be prone to suggest the 3 month warranty, especially since you can often argue your way to an extended warranty through your credit card. One thing to pay attention to is the return policy from wherever you're looking to purchase, to ensure you don't end up having to get stuck with a panel with some noticeable dead pixels because it would cost you $150 to return it or whatever.

I'd skip the ASUS because it's not functionally different from the X34--same panel and everything. The only real difference is the OSD, which is a bit nicer, but you're going to use that all of once to enable overclocking to 100Hz and then leave it there forever, so I don't see that as being worth $100+. If you think the aesthetic difference is worth the price...well I guess that's on you.

That's awesome! I was just going to pick it up from Acer Recertified, the only thing I guess I'm worried about then are dead pixels. It looks like 2-5 dead pixels are acceptable? This is the most I've spent on a monitor (or TV, I guess) so I'm just a little nervous.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is the Asus PB279Q that much better than the PB278QR to be worth more than double the price?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

NewFatMike posted:

Finally got the funds available for an upgrade and wanted to double-check the link to a monitor purchase before I pull the trigger:

https://acerrecertified.com/acer-lcd-widescreen-monitor-34-display-ips-uw-qhd-screen-led-g-sync-60-hz/

I had initially wanted the Asus ROG PG348Q, but it's a couple hundred bucks (even recertified) that don't really seem worth it. Anything I need to know? Like 100Hz+G-Sync can be active at the same time? I was just going to grab it with the 2 year warranty to make sure everything is kosher.

Hopefully you've already made your choice and bought something, because you can't wait around on Acer's refurb site like that. That poo poo goes fast.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, just now saw that. Guess I was kinda lucky this morning. I have NowInStock alerts going now, though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Is the Asus PB279Q that much better than the PB278QR to be worth more than double the price?

One is 4k and the other is 2k. From a quick glance on the their specs, everything else does seem to be the same.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Heads up, there is currently a 10% off coupon "TENOFF" for the Dell 34" Gsync Monitor (or any other monitor on Dell right now): https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-amsv?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AMSV

The price is $1500, so the coupon takes it down to $1350. You can sign up for Dell Advantage which gives you free 2-day shipping and 3% back as a gift card later ($40.50) and TopCashBack.com is giving back 5% for Dell Home ($67.50).

So if you live in a tax-free state and everything goes to plan, you could get one under $1250 effectively.

It is 3440x1440 21:9 IPS GSync and overclocks to 120hz (slightly higher than the other two competing monitors), has Xtreme Gamer RGB lighting, and includes a free 3-year cross ship warranty, which is pretty awesome.

I had a lot of Dell credit so I went ahead and pre-ordered one, I'll let y'all know in a week how it is. Yes it looks ridiculous but I'm putting it on a monitor arm and looking head-on so it shouldn't be *that* bad.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero VGS posted:

Heads up, there is currently a 10% off coupon "TENOFF" for the Dell 34" Gsync Monitor (or any other monitor on Dell right now): https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-amsv?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AMSV

The price is $1500, so the coupon takes it down to $1350. You can sign up for Dell Advantage which gives you free 2-day shipping and 3% back as a gift card later ($40.50) and TopCashBack.com is giving back 5% for Dell Home ($67.50).

So if you live in a tax-free state and everything goes to plan, you could get one under $1250 effectively.

It is 3440x1440 21:9 IPS GSync and overclocks to 120hz (slightly higher than the other two competing monitors), has Xtreme Gamer RGB lighting, and includes a free 3-year cross ship warranty, which is pretty awesome.

I had a lot of Dell credit so I went ahead and pre-ordered one, I'll let y'all know in a week how it is. Yes it looks ridiculous but I'm putting it on a monitor arm and looking head-on so it shouldn't be *that* bad.

It looks more tasteful than the predator one at least. I hope you enjoy it!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Welcome to the game, Dell! (loving finally)

I like how the most obvious difference in their "GSync comparison" graphics is--apparently--color saturation. That's...not how it works, Dell.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zero VGS posted:

Wow, I had no idea G-sync made your colors more vibrant ... :rolleyes::fh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well I think you'll find the higher average frame rate permits the backlight to

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mcbexx posted:

Wow, I had no idea G-sync made your colors more vibrant ... :rolleyes::fh:

Wow, I have a G-sync monitor and I've never noticed more vibrant color! In fact if I turn off G-sync there is no difference in the colors! I think my monitor might be defective, maybe I should call Acer's warranty department? :thunk:

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Dell is used to a specific audience, one might say.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The tearing is really subtle - they probably should have put it in the center of the image

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

The tearing is really subtle - they probably should have put it in the center of the image

Yeah, I had to really look before I realized that the little fighter is supposed to show tearing, and not just strange jagged futuristic aircraft design.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I had to really look before I realized that the little fighter is supposed to show tearing, and not just strange jagged futuristic aircraft design.

Oh the fighter is tearing isn't it! I saw it in the building near the center-bottom and also thought that was just a jagged design :v:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I was just digging around for a monitor upgrade and I saw that there were supposed to be 4k 144hz IPS HDR Gsync panels this year but it got pushed to Q1 2018. I'm dumb but they sound amazing, is anyone else waiting on these? Is it foolish to wait?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kaedric posted:

I was just digging around for a monitor upgrade and I saw that there were supposed to be 4k 144hz IPS HDR Gsync panels this year but it got pushed to Q1 2018. I'm dumb but they sound amazing, is anyone else waiting on these? Is it foolish to wait?

They are going to be insanely stupid expensive, and are actually very small panels (I think 24-inch or something) and 16:9.

Considering there's three 3440x1440 21:9 100hz 34" Gsync monitors for around $1000, that's probably half the price to get a bigger monitor sooner, 100hz vs 144hz is a non-issue to me (the Dell gets even closer with 120hz).

All you're getting is HDR really, and it's not the tradeoffs and money yet. HDR doesn't even work with basically all games out so far.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Kaedric posted:

It certainly sounds amazing but it's not like there's gonna be graphics cards capable of pushing 144 FPS @ 4K for any graphics intensive games

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

fletcher posted:

It certainly sounds amazing but it's not like there's gonna be graphics cards capable of pushing 144 FPS @ 4K for any graphics intensive games

Yeah you're right, but the main draw for me is potentially watching blu-rays on it with HDR and 4k res. I dunno if that makes a difference but it SOUNDS sexy to me.

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess you could buy two Volta Titans and SLI them next spring if money is no object.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I took delivery of an Acer XB271HU (the IPS version) yesterday, and I am loving it. Replacing one of my Dell U2412s - I've still got the second one in Portrait mode.

My second reaction to the Acer was "holy poo poo where did the bezel go". My first reaction was 5 minutes of swearing at the monitor stand while assembling it, because I am an ignoramus.

First test of the monitor was booting up Warframe and cranking up the resolution and refresh rate. The increased smoothness of walking through my spaceship gave me motion sickness, so Mission Complete.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Someone on Reddit somehow got the 34" Alienware a week early and reviewed it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/73wu45/alienware_aw3418dw_review_pay_2_win/

He is bitching about not having ULMB but that's not supposed to work with Gsync anyway so I don't care. The only real negative for me is no joystick for controls like the Asus, they only have buttons to work the OSD.

Seems like he's happy overall... and he paid $300 more for it than I did.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Amazon Warehouse has PG348Qs for $970 and then they're running 20% off that, so it's $776 + tax.

Downside is since they're returns you may be disproportionately likely to get problems clocking to 100 Hz or bad BLB.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 4, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amazon Warehouse has PG348Qs for $970 and then they're running 20% off that, so it's $776 + tax.

Downside is since they're returns you may be disproportionately likely to get problems clocking to 100 Hz or bad BLB.

Where is the 20% off?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

He is bitching about not having ULMB but that's not supposed to work with Gsync anyway so I don't care.

I thought ULMB is not as good as Gsync? Or have I been reading the literature wrong, and comparing apples to oranges?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Where is the 20% off?

I'll edit the link but it's taken at checkout.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I thought ULMB is not as good as Gsync? Or have I been reading the literature wrong, and comparing apples to oranges?

Apples to oranges, Gsync eliminates tearing without the frame drops you see with vsync, ULMB reduces motion blur to increase the clarity of moving images.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you can run a game at a constant 120FPS (esports), always go for ULMB. If you are running at a highly variable framerate (AAA games), go for GSync.

I'll never go without ULMB again, so I am waiting for a 1440p ultrawide that does ULMB myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I do miss 144 Hz, I can tell a difference moving down to 100 Hz even though I am adjusting my framerate to stay locked at 100 fps. And then there's the titles that don't react well to ultrawide at all - and so far I'm not quite sure how to force pillarboxing mode for those.