Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Wii U and 3DS games had digital manuals that you could access from the home screen, and those were completely fine and convenient. I don't know why they got rid of those or why people think adding an unnecessary QR code scanning or an app would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

mancalamania posted:

Wii U and 3DS games had digital manuals that you could access from the home screen, and those were completely fine and convenient. I don't know why they got rid of those or why people think adding an unnecessary QR code scanning or an app would be better.

It's not an issue of better or worse per se (although I would argue it's worse) insofar as it's a race to the bottom. It's like theaters no longer distributing playbills before a show or airlines no longer providing a free beverage.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's not an issue of better or worse per se (although I would argue it's worse) insofar as it's a race to the bottom. It's like theaters no longer distributing playbills before a show or airplanes no longer providing a free beverage.

The thinking behind it is almost certainly that you can check it on your smartphone/tablet while playing the game, like you did as a kid with the physical manual/game guide.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I liked and appreciated the digital manuals included with 3DS and Wii U software but frankly, I a) never really used them and b) doesn't make sense to me to put useful information only in the manual when you could just it put it in the game. So personally, when I use a guide with a game, it's generally something I've pulled up on my phone, e.g. I just uploaded the Earthbound player's guide pdf to Google Books for my future reference.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Ironically, speed tests have shown that the digital download version of BotW has faster loading times than the cart version.

Counterpoint: I'm not downloading 13GB+ over the Switch's lovely WiFi from Nintendo's molasses CDNs.

Hopefully Stardew comes out this week, I need something to fill the void between now and the Destiny2/Mario Wallet-pocalypse week.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

b) doesn't make sense to me to put useful information only in the manual when you could just it put it in the game.
They could do both, though.

When I first started playing BotW I was really confused about how saving worked, for example. It took me a while to figure out that it keeps your last manual save and six (?) auto-saves. But I didn't know if auto-saves would clear out your manual saves or how that all worked. That's the kind of thing that instruction manuals explain well but instead I had to Google and find conflicting answers. Of course, the "point" of BotW is you're just supposed to jump in and explore around, and maybe I can understand that, but after playing many generations of Zelda games including LoZ where saving was actually a complicated process that could result in a lost game if done wrong, I want to look up how saving works.

Plus, the idea of just diving into BotW doesn't/won't apply to every Switch game.

Does the Wii U version of BotW have a digital manual? Is it useful?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah the Switch games have done an admirable job of trying to make the manuals unnecessary, but in practice I think a bare-bones manual is still useful. It's important to have all of that information in one concise document. For instance in Splatoon 2, information how the different ranked modes work is hidden in a submenu on the Lobby screen, whereas information about what weapon specials do is hidden in a submenu on the equipping screen. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have all of that information collected together in one place.

I can't imagine what a nightmare Xenoblade 2 will be to play without the manual, given how often I had to reference the manual in Xenoblade X.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They could do both, though.

When I first started playing BotW I was really confused about how saving worked, for example. It took me a while to figure out that it keeps your last manual save and six (?) auto-saves. But I didn't know if auto-saves would clear out your manual saves or how that all worked. That's the kind of thing that instruction manuals explain well but instead I had to Google and find conflicting answers. Of course, the "point" of BotW is you're just supposed to jump in and explore around, and maybe I can understand that, but after playing many generations of Zelda games including LoZ where saving was actually a complicated process that could result in a lost game if done wrong, I want to look up how saving works.

Plus, the idea of just diving into BotW doesn't/won't apply to every Switch game.

Does the Wii U version of BotW have a digital manual? Is it useful?

This is a reasonable complaint. Don't you agree it would be better/best if there was an explicit, in-game explanation for how saves work? Like a question mark next to the in-game save function that you could select and it describes the interaction of manual saves and auto-saves.

I really think good design should eliminate the need for manuals. Not guides, but manuals, sure.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I do miss the days of getting the game, looking at the artwork on the box/case, then taking out the manual and thumbing through that (great bathroom reading while you take care of business before the upcoming gaming season). It was exciting to see the artwork on the pages and reading the backstory.

Then again, I never threw away my game boxes and manuals like a loving degenerate animal.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah manuals were great coffee table or toilet reading material and I would pay extra for them

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I read my game manuals on the way home from <insert game store here> after my parent's bought the game for me and drove me home

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

just quoting this to agree that all the 100% digital people are selfish bastards

You're the selfish bastard! I loan my entire console!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any reviews (at this point, even of ANY version) of Battlechasers Nightwar?

I'm curious. And Interested.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
October 5th.

Stardew then.

https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-coming-soon-to-nintendo-switch/

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 2, 2017

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/914882539818381312

:toot:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Golf Story beat them to the punch. Who needs Stardew now?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

NOE confirm also

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/914883069047398400

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I might get Stardew for my girlfriend but I am afraid she will like it and won't be able to play my Switch.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
And everyone who was excited for Stardew and is playing Golf Story or Picross won't buy it now until after Odyssey comes out and is beaten, leaving the devs to wonder where all the excitement went.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Beastie posted:

I might get Stardew for my girlfriend but I am afraid she will like it and won't be able to play my Switch.

Obvious solution is to dump the girlfriend.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh wow, stardew in three days?? i haven't even finished golf story yet!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Whomever bought you your new AV should've linked to the drama that spawned it. :stare:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

glassyalabolas posted:

Obvious solution is to dump the girlfriend.

Wait, I just remembered, there's co-op right? Local?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Woah a bet a lot of Americans looked at that and thought it was coming out May 10th.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whomever bought you your new AV should've linked to the drama that spawned it. :stare:

I don't have avatars enabled.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yessssss I'm going on a flight Thursday night so this is perfect! Stardewnow!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

*stumbles into the thread*

STARDEW WHE--

Oh

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just reposting again.

VideoGames posted:

NEW THREAD RULE:

"X when" posts are now verboten. Please report them and watch the probations fly! I think that particular 'joke' has now been run into the ground like a GBS 'cuck' meme.

Thank you all very much!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All I need now is a release date for Hollow Knight

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mahoning posted:

Woah a bet a lot of Americans looked at that and thought it was coming out May 10th.

There's still time. :twisted:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Supernorn posted:

I don't have avatars enabled.

That's good, you want to change yours without looking preferably

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yessssss I'm going on a flight Thursday night so this is perfect! Stardewnow!

I've got a flight Friday so hell Yea. Stardew... NOW.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

What all is different in this version of Stardew?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Manky posted:

I think someone might have a chip on their shoulder about something I had nothing to do with. This avatar is clearly the act of a reasonable person. I might just hold onto it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

Don't you agree it would be better/best if there was an explicit, in-game explanation for how saves work?
That might be a better approach for some (even most) people, but I'm not sure it's always best.

As another example, one thing I often do when starting a new game is look up the controls in the manual. In BotW the controls are displayed on the pause screen, which is great, but buttons are labeled after you need to use them the first time. I get why that kind of dynamic design is really good--it's less likely to overwhelm players. But when I start a game I'm tuned to figure out what the possible controls are, so I'm at least aware of them even if they're not used until later. Like I just assumed the L button was unused until I got my first rune.

Manky posted:

I really think good design should eliminate the need for manuals.
Sure, and BotW gets pretty close to the mark on that. No doubt Mario Odyssey will too. However there's plenty of good games that don't have the best tutorial design but might still have passable documentation since it's at least a workflow that studios are used to.

Some Switch games do come with on-screen manuals but unlike the 3DS (and Wii U although I don't have one) accessing them and their presentation is inconsistent. If manuals aren't going to be a requirement it would've been nice to at least allow games to optionally provide access to one in the home screen +-menu.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 2, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feenix posted:

Any reviews (at this point, even of ANY version) of Battlechasers Nightwar?

I'm curious. And Interested.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/battle-chasers-nightwar-review-1757550

https://www.dualshockers.com/battle-chasers-nightwar-review-ps4-pc-switch-xbox-one/

Generally both sites like it even if it's a product of a lovely Unity engine. 20 to 25 hours sounds good for a nice classic turnbased RPG. I think the Switch version comes out later this year due to loving Unity needing updates.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Is that a new outfit, cause I wouldnt be surprised in they threw in some Nintendo Costumes which is par for the course for indies.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Did anyone play through Stardew with a controller on PC or I suppose has experience with the PS4 port? Just curious how it's going to feel compared to M/KB.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Did anyone play through Stardew with a controller on PC or I suppose has experience with the PS4 port? Just curious how it's going to feel compared to M/KB.

I own the XB1 port and while it's obviously made for M/KB (mouse control in some menus etc.) there's really not a problem with it.

I also own the PC version and will be buying the Switch version as I have no self control.

Run Dodo Run fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Manky posted:

We're going to need a record for this when people are reading later:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread