Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The online features to be more pss (online enabled while Ingame) rather than this festival plaza horseshit where half the time it takes 15 minutes for my friend to show up in my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The online features to be more pss (online enabled while Ingame) rather than this festival plaza horseshit where half the time it takes 15 minutes for my friend to show up in my list.

This. The festival plaza is bad as the only option

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Haifisch posted:

For the Sun/Moon mons only. They decided hundreds of other Pokemon didn't need to be ready to follow you, I guess.

you imbecile. you loving moron

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Paul.Power posted:

Just fought Nanu in Sun (having already played Moon) and it's staggering just how well-optimised his Persian-A is for dicking you over:
  • Knows Power Gem, so a pain to deal with for both Bug types and Ninetales-A.
  • Fully optimised speed stat, so will also get first shot against Ninetales-A and even a not completely optimised Ribombee
  • So this time I decided to have Bug Bertha the Golispod use First Impression to beat that crazy speed... and then he uses Fake Out.
Fair play, it led to a thrilling and memorable battle as I had to use basically my whole team to fight the various fires it was starting (especially once Nanu used both a Full Heal and a Hyper Potion on it) and confirms him as one of the coolest dudes in the game both as a trainer as well as a character.

(I mean ok, I could have used a Fighting type or something, but that's no fun).

I wouldn't know, Primarina eats Nanu's entire team for breakfast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had a bewear and his team has nothing to deal with fighting types at all

sm does a better job than most pokemon games at punishing you for leaving gaps in your team (not having a grass or electric type made things way more annoying than they could have been on my first playthrough) and for having overlapping weaknesses tho

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah I think Sun and Moon is the first time the series has been legitimately challenging in a while, especially if you don't overuse the EXP Share. I really enjoyed the curve.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Grass challenge will gently caress you up bad if you don't have a decent Fire-type.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Sunday sounds good! Just toss me a mimikyu if you can.

Sorry I suck and was not on last night, catching a Mimikyu has sucked, do you want one with a nickname? I'm just breeding one for you instead haha

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Paul.Power posted:

Just fought Nanu in Sun (having already played Moon) and it's staggering just how well-optimised his Persian-A is for dicking you over:
  • Knows Power Gem, so a pain to deal with for both Bug types and Ninetales-A.
  • Fully optimised speed stat, so will also get first shot against Ninetales-A and even a not completely optimised Ribombee
  • So this time I decided to have Bug Bertha the Golispod use First Impression to beat that crazy speed... and then he uses Fake Out.
Fair play, it led to a thrilling and memorable battle as I had to use basically my whole team to fight the various fires it was starting (especially once Nanu used both a Full Heal and a Hyper Potion on it) and confirms him as one of the coolest dudes in the game both as a trainer as well as a character.

(I mean ok, I could have used a Fighting type or something, but that's no fun).

Wrestle Cat ate him for breakfast.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Having used a steel-type to deal with all poison up to that point, Totem Slazzle completely stonewalled me. I had go way back and find a Cubone to train up.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Grass challenge will gently caress you up bad if you don't have a decent Fire-type.

Yeah I had my only trouble on the grass challenge, that mantis in pants wrecked my team twice before I got it down.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
*not an actual mantis

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

NewFatMike posted:

Sorry I suck and was not on last night, catching a Mimikyu has sucked, do you want one with a nickname? I'm just breeding one for you instead haha
I just like mimikyu, I'm not fussy.

Does tomorrow work for you?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Alxprit posted:

Yeah I think Sun and Moon is the first time the series has been legitimately challenging in a while, especially if you don't overuse the EXP Share. I really enjoyed the curve.
Going from playing Moon to playing Silver has also been legitimately challenging, although not in intended ways.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PetraCore posted:

I just like mimikyu, I'm not fussy.

Does tomorrow work for you?

Sure does! I'm central time zone and more or less able to fire up the 3DS any time after 10AM

E: I have a Bold, Serious, and Naive Mimikyu if that matters, and they're all in Heal Balls.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 3, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

NewFatMike posted:

Sure does! I'm central time zone and more or less able to fire up the 3DS any time after 10AM

E: I have a Bold, Serious, and Naive Mimikyu if that matters, and they're all in Heal Balls.

I'll take the Naive one!

I've got work today so I should be able to get on at 4 pm central time. See you then!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sounds good!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been trying to win the Bug-Catching Contest for hours now, what the heck.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Alxprit posted:

are you catching with full hp?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Is that the VC version? Because there's this if that's any help

https://i.redd.it/nqm750uns1pz.png

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

The Bug Contest is utter bullshit. You get more points for a bug with higher max HP, and if the bug is at full health. But like half your score is determined by the DVs (precursor to IVs) of what you catch. If they're even, you get nothing. There is no way to see the DVs of Pokemon, nor any way to affect them. By Design.

The Bug Contest is the stupidest loving thing and it's the only way to get Sun Stones. It's slightly better in HG/SS. But only slightly.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

McDragon posted:

Is that the VC version? Because there's this if that's any help

https://i.redd.it/nqm750uns1pz.png

...that's not how the contest is scored at all. It's the sum of:

4 times the max HP of the Pokémon
The sum of the Pokémon's other stats
Up to 29 points based on the Pokémon's individual values:
16 points if the Defense IV is odd, 0 otherwise
8 points if the Attack IV is odd, 0 otherwise
4 points if the Special IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1 point if the Speed IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1/8 of the current HP of the Pokémon, rounded down
1 point if the Pokémon is holding an item, 0 otherwise

So catch stuff at full health and hope it has the DVs your looking for. If not, try again sucker!

I dunno where they got the percentage stuff for the image, nor see how certain opponents always win, that sounds like loser bias.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally managed to get a winning Scyther, but I almost ran out of balls trying to catch it at full health, so I poked it once and then caught it. Gotta do this song and dance Thursday for the last Sun Stone I need, but at least that'll be all I need to do.

This dex completion quest is really hard, but I'm trying to really put into perspective what it was like back in the day. Crystal really did help a LOT when it came to that. But I never personally owned Crystal at any point in my life.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Crosspeice posted:

...that's not how the contest is scored at all. It's the sum of:

4 times the max HP of the Pokémon
The sum of the Pokémon's other stats
Up to 29 points based on the Pokémon's individual values:
16 points if the Defense IV is odd, 0 otherwise
8 points if the Attack IV is odd, 0 otherwise
4 points if the Special IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1 point if the Speed IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1/8 of the current HP of the Pokémon, rounded down
1 point if the Pokémon is holding an item, 0 otherwise

So catch stuff at full health and hope it has the DVs your looking for. If not, try again sucker!

I dunno where they got the percentage stuff for the image, nor see how certain opponents always win, that sounds like loser bias.

I mean, they just say that Nick in particular is hard to beat, which is true - his worst pokemon is worth 349 points, which is better than the best pokemon for the other possible competing trainers, some by a good 50+ points.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have prepped for Ultra Moon by making a Morelull egg and a Stufful egg. The Stufful should hatch with ice punch, which should be pretty useful.

I also have a freshly hatched Pichu in a Luxury ball that I'll trade over.

So excited to play with a new team!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nessa posted:

I have prepped for Ultra Moon by making a Morelull egg and a Stufful egg. The Stufful should hatch with ice punch, which should be pretty useful.

Once I beat platinum's elite four, I'll get to breeding my USUM teams. And an Abra for my kid.

:siren::siren::siren: CHARIZARD CODE GIVEAWAY :siren::siren::siren:
I have FIVE North American Charizards from the giveaway through Target that need cool trainers to chill with.

First five people to make a new pun including a Pokemon's name get them.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

Once I beat platinum's elite four, I'll get to breeding my USUM teams. And an Abra for my kid.

I have FIVE North American Charizards from the giveaway through Target that need cool trainers to chill with.

I Litten on fire like a Charizard.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

I'd like one. I promise I won't Pikachu.

Nessa posted:

I plan to trade over a Sableye egg for my starter, to be named Stitch. My trainer will be Lilo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nth Doctor posted:

Man you're crazy.

Crazy like Delphox.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CANivine I have the code please

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
My favorite memory of the Bug Catching Contest will always be catching a shiny Wurmple and coming in, like, last place.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nth Doctor posted:

You mean one that nobody has ever made before? That's a crawdaunting task. I'm not sure I can skiddo it.

(Does skiddo rhyme with do?)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ariong posted:

You mean one that nobody has ever made before? That's a crawdaunting task. I'm not sure I can skiddo it.

(Does skiddo rhyme with do?)

I strongly feel that it shouldn't, but sometimes the anime makes hideous choices. Like with Ferrothorn.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

It looks like you posted this while I was Muking around getting lunch. Hopefully it's not too late and I can Seel the deal for one of those codes with this post. You can PM me, or if you'd prefer I can Raichu.

Edit: Some of these puns may be stale, but hopefully the rest are Rhydon target.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

I strongly feel that it shouldn't, but sometimes the anime makes hideous choices. Like with Ferrothorn.

wait, how does the anime pronounce ferrothorn

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aww, the Pokemon center wished me Happy Birthday :gbsmith:

I was just getting to breeding for my Halloween team! What a lovely present.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how could skiddo not rhyme with "do"? it's like, 23 skidoo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the worst mistake in pokemon pronunciation was how they called Regice "Regi Ice".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's dough like kiddo. hope that is help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here's a good regigigas name: regifilsaime