Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

"lone gunman"

based on the video he had some sort of fully automatic sub machine gun with a 30 round magazine

Based on the video's I've seen it was rifle caliber (sub means pistol caliber like 9mm) and more like 100 round drums. The rate of fire is really inconsistent though, so I doubt it was a legal full auto. Probably AK variant with some sort of trigger modification or crank fire mod.

I can't even begin to comprehend why anyone would do something like this....

Side note: They located his room quickly because the shooting generated enough smoke that the smoke detectors in his room went off.

Edit: Shittiest page snipe ever... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Based on the video's I've seen it was rifle caliber (sub means pistol caliber like 9mm) and more like 100 round drums. The rate of fire is really inconsistent though, so I doubt it was a legal full auto. Probably AK variant with some sort of trigger modification or crank fire mod.

Someone extracted the audio of the gunshots: There's no way it wasn't either a full auto or modified to be full auto.

And he owned two planes, had an Alaskan hunting license despite living in Las Vegas, and had 10 other rifles with him, he could afford a Full Auto tax stamp.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Stolen from the GBS thread, here's a non-graphic video.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/914735357408808960/pu/vid/720x1280/nLaK9UEK0mzBJrh5.mp4

The rate of fire is really weird. I extracted the audio and imported it into audacity.

I count about 90 peaks, so if the video missed the first second or so and each peak is a gunshot (which I think they are) that would suggest he was using 100 round drum mags.

In less than 8 seconds, he emptied at least ~90 rounds. It was full auto.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 2, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Someone extracted the audio of the gunshots: There's no way it wasn't either a full auto or modified to be full auto.

And he owned two planes, had an Alaskan hunting license despite living in Las Vegas, and had 10 other rifles with him, he could afford a Full Auto tax stamp.

In less than 8 seconds, he emptied at least ~90 rounds. It was full auto.

I didn't say it wasn't a full auto (in effect at least) as it clearly was. But a real legal machine gun has a very consistent rate of fire, and that video clearly shows a variable rate of fire. There are a number of ways to achieve fully automatic fire without the gun being a legal machine gun. There are crank-fire systems and a thing called a Slidefire (or something like that) which will repeatedly pull the trigger on a semi-automatic rifle effectively turning it into a fully automatic rifle, but the rate of fire will not be consistent like a real designed as a full auto machine gun will have.

At the end of the day it won't really matter to anyone affected, but what weapons he used and how they were made to be automatic could have real repercussions in our laws and for companies that make whatever devices he used if it was something available legally.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
To me the audio sounds like something crank-operated and low power. It reminds me a lot of that one tactical solutions innovations 10/22 mod that uses two rifles and a crank.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yzcMPQZdU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

To me the audio sounds like something crank-operated and low power. It reminds me a lot of that one tactical solutions innovations 10/22 mod that uses two rifles and a crank.

I'll disagree with your 'low power'. The audio is taken from the target, and the shooter is on the 32nd floor of a building a long ways away. The sound of a .22 shot would pretty much be lost at that range.

If I was forced to put money on the table and make a bet, I'd say an AK-47 variant with a crank-fire modification. I could be completely wrong though, and I wonder how long it will be before they release any real accurate information about the weapon(s) used.

With as many people as were shot, the caliber(s) involved should be known fairly well from all the rounds recovered at the hospitals, even if the police don't release the firearm information soon.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wrar posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress a bunch of people from work are there for a conference.

We've got two guys down there for NetApp Insight. They're okay, thank god. Hope your people down there are alright.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Kinda glad we don't have guns over here, man. That poo poo's loving scary...

To be fair, full auto poo poo like he was using is illegal for all but a very few private citizens. That said, I agree that it sounds like a crank-fire mod, given the inconsistent fire rate.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm having a seriously hard time coping with this increased font size.
I mean I get we're all getting older but c'mon SA.

I didn't notice anything different. I may have a different template set or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I didn't notice anything different. I may have a different template set or something?

You probably have an old CSS file saved, hit ctrl-f5 and you'll get the new "improved" one.

And yes I sat there and mashed ctrl plus / ctrl minus a few times to make absolutely certain I hadn't accidentally zoomed in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

You probably have an old CSS file saved, hit ctrl-f5 and you'll get the new "improved" one.

And yes I sat there and mashed ctrl plus / ctrl minus a few times to make absolutely certain I hadn't accidentally zoomed in.

I was super pissed when ctrl+0 didn't work after like 10 tries.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh no I shouldn't have done that

Auuuuugh this font size is wrong.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, full auto poo poo like he was using is illegal for all but a very few private citizens. That said, I agree that it sounds like a crank-fire mod, given the inconsistent fire rate.

I wasn't being specific, I'm glad there's extremely few gun related instances. I mean we're well known for being an island of stabby fuckers but still.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Full Auto is perfectly legal as long as you pay the tax stamp. That's it.

But the guy was apparently decently well off enough to own two planes and be able to go hunt in Alaska. He could've afforded the tax stamp or to have someone help him mod the firearm to go full auto.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was super pissed when ctrl+0 didn't work after like 10 tries.

Okay I'm not going insane.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

Full Auto is perfectly legal as long as you pay the tax stamp. That's it.

But the guy was apparently decently well off enough to own two planes and be able to go hunt in Alaska. He could've afforded the tax stamp or to have someone help him mod the firearm to go full auto.

A few years ago, a little girl accidentally swept and killed an instructor at a shooting range with an automatic rifle in Nevada because even small children are trusted with them.
The gun laws there are so ridiculous, you can be fined for carrying a toy gun on the strip, but strapping on a real gun and open carrying it is completely legal

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Door Frame posted:

A few years ago, a little girl accidentally swept and killed an instructor at a shooting range with an automatic rifle in Nevada because even small children are trusted with them.
The gun laws there are so ridiculous, you can be fined for carrying a toy gun on the strip, but strapping on a real gun and open carrying it is completely legal

Gun laws are always ridiculous, they're either far too lax and loopholey or reactionary and over-reaching.

Also, it wasn't a rifle, it was a smg, and the recoil was far too much for someone her size to handle at full-auto, moment she pulled the trigger she lost control and the muzzle went straight up into the instructor. All the instructor had to do was say no.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 2, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Well Tom Petty is dead. What a day!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm heartbroken.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Locator posted:

Edit: Shittiest page snipe ever... :(
:drat:

Woke up to this news. :(

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
One of my coworkers knew someone that died in Vegas and went home for the day. Now Tom Petty is dead. Today sucks.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So far everyone at NetApp Insight is accounted for. Two of my friends missed getting killed by 5 minutes because they were drunk and wanted food so they went to In & Out Burger.

Between Houston, Puerto Rico, the Keys and now this just man I'm emotionally tired. I'm disaster numb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Biodome posted:

Now Tom Petty is dead. Today sucks.
What? Jesus

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tom Petty was not on the 2017 death list :( poo poo.

My parents are massive Fans and are both older than him...

In other news I have gone roadtripping round France during a week off. Made it to Le Mans today :) The museum has some sweet cars in.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

Gonna miss his music. Was hoping Marc Maron was going to interview him, guess that's not going to happen :(

Also sympathies go out to all those effected by the shooting in Las Vegas

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like an ak47 variant with a drum mag and slidefire stock tbh.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Welp, was just laid off without warning. Fits nicely with my poo poo marriage, house I hate and parenthood I regret.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Jesus, dude :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

Welp, was just laid off without warning. Fits nicely with my poo poo marriage, house I hate and parenthood I regret.

Dude, if I could ask you to do anything, for your child's sake, don't let them know you regret it. Play it off.

Sorry about the job :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Dude, if I could ask you to do anything, for your child's sake, don't let them know you regret it. Play it off.

Sorry about the job :(

I don't regret him and I love him to death, I just regret choosing to start a family in the abstract.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blk posted:

Promise us you won't go to Vegas to unwind.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

Oof

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

spog posted:

Goddamn

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

God drat. What a day. I feel guilty for having a pretty uneventful day, other than pulling the trigger on that $ouch plumbing job.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

pulling the trigger

Phrasing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh finally, I can read the forums without my glasses. :corsair:

spog posted:

Yikes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Phrasing

Oh geeze. Wow, yeah, poor choice.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*quietly changes Dr Strangelove script back to Dallas*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

I love him to death

Keep focus on this, blk. I'm sure the marriage part isn't going to be any easier with the current development, but keep your kid in focus. Good luck, I'm pulling for you.

DICK DICER posted:

*quietly changes Dr Strangelove script back to Dallas*

God :drat:. You even have 14" whistling through the graveyard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

blk posted:

Oh poo poo man :(

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Re: giant font. This style sheet (along with an appropriate extension like tampermonkey or stylish) takes care of that along with various other things. Most notably switching the forums to a dark theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Where do you reckon is the best place to look for salvage c5 corvettes if I wanted to do a vette kart clone?

• Locked thread