Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, I am aware.

Just because there is a magic table that brings people to life when they sacrifice themselves on it for a traitor (which is the Christ allegory) doesn't mean there is any behind the scenes rationality for their being a random stone table in the middle of the woods that will revive the Christlion

It's an allegory for the stone tablets of the ten commandments, the old covenant overturned and broken by Christ's new covenant. =(

I mean, good for you if it works for you but for me I find Lewis painfully formulaic. Jesus is the Answer to every puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well sometimes the truth is as plain as that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's an allegory for the stone tablets of the ten commandments, the old covenant overturned and broken by Christ's new covenant. =(

I mean, good for you if it works for you but for me I find Lewis painfully formulaic. Jesus is the Answer to every puzzle.

There is a difference between narratively formulaic and formulaic reality

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a difference between narratively formulaic and formulaic reality

Ok, just to be clear, is this argument premised on the thesis that Christian theology is in any way congruent with reality, or are you just arguing that Lewis was writing from that viewpoint, or . . . ?

Regardless, I'd argue that Tolkien did a far better job of "hiding the ball." Gandalf's resurrection is no less christian than Aslan's, but it is much more miraculous; there's no Christian Physics, he's just "sent back."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LotR isn't Christian, it's pagan.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ok, just to be clear, is this argument premised on the thesis that Christian theology is in any way congruent with reality, or are you just arguing that Lewis was writing from that viewpoint, or . . . ?

No my point is that Christian mythology is the definition of a fantastical construction of reality because it isn't consistent and things happen just because God wants them to. There is no consistent rules or reality god must follow, he just does whatever because he is not defined by cause and effect or quantification.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Read Lord Dunsany's Carcassonne for something fantastical that does magic very well (the Bard in particular) in my opinion. Note though that there are neither rules set up nor broken in the way you are talking about. Though maybe you'd call it more mythical than magical and perhaps this is part of the distinction we are trying to formulate here? I am curious whether his longer The King of Elfland's Daughter retains this quality but haven't had the time to read it yet.

Edited for the link. Also yeah, Idle Days on the Yann is neat as well.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 2, 2017

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Perhaps I could interest you in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, where dragons hatch from stone eggs and people rise from the dead repeatedly for no discernible reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

LotR isn't Christian, it's pagan.

Ehh, sortof.

Tolkien writes in his letters that he deliberately wrote everything that happens in LotR to be "consistent with" christian theology; the elves are a conceptualization of humanity that did not Fall, etc. LotR is deeply Christian, though you could definitely analyze it as an attempt to reconcile nordic and christian mythology.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No my point is that Christian mythology is the definition of a fantastical construction of reality because it isn't consistent and things happen just because God wants them to. There is no consistent rules or reality god must follow, he just does whatever because he is not defined by cause and effect or quantification.

I've gotten in big arguments with catholics over that; last time I made that point, after getting particularly irritated by a persistent catholic who insisted on eliciting my opinion as to a religious debate I was deliberately avoiding, I said "Religion and logic are not compatible, an omnipotent diety is definitionally extra-logical, this entire discussion is pointless, God made the world with dinosaur bones already in it", and in response I got told I had a "fundamentally protestant perspective", which that particular Catholic meant as an insult.

If you're an Anglican of Lewis' bent --i.e. a professional writing theologian, not just someone who goes to church or even a member of the clergy, but a professional philosophical theologian, Christian theology is amazingly convoluted, but it isn't inconsistent -- literally everything follows rules, and the rules are consistent with each other, they're just absurdly complicated and overwrought to the point that to an outsider it looks like gibberish and absurdity. It's like a Ptolemaic astronomer describing the path of the sun around the earth via epicycles. With enough math you can make it all fit, even if you're writing nonsense.

I made the mistake in my youth of reading a lot of Lewis' theological writing, and the more of that stuff you read, the more the wonder and absurdity of the Narnia books evaporates, because it really is all just math for him; even the bizarre and brilliant parts like the lamp-post get turned into math in the later books.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 2, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

true.spoon posted:

Read Lord Dunsany's Carcassonne for something fantastical that does magic very well (the Bard in particular) in my opinion. Note though that there are neither rules set up nor broken in the way you are talking about. Though maybe you'd call it more mythical than magical and perhaps this is part of the distinction we are trying to formulate here? I am curious whether his longer The King of Elfland's Daughter retains this quality but haven't had the time to read it yet.

Yeah, Idle Days on the Yann might be a better example for discussion since it avoids the christianity issue we're hitting with Lewis.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

you're an Anglican of Lewis' bent --i.e. a professional writing theologian, not just someone who goes to church or even a member of the clergy, but a professional philosophical theologian, Christian theology is amazingly convoluted, but it isn't inconsistent -- literally everything follows rules, and the rules are consistent with each other, they're just absurdly complicated and overwrought to the point that to an outsider it looks like gibberish and absurdity. It's like a Ptolemaic astronomer describing the path of the sun around the earth via epicycles. With enough math you can make it all fit, even if you're writing nonsense.

Granted I have not read every Narnia book but even if he is using an Anglican framework for his world he at least has the decency to not explain how many angels can dance on the head of a pin in Narnia, you know ?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ehh, sortof.

Tolkien writes in his letters that he deliberately wrote everything that happens in LotR to be "consistent with" christian theology; the elves are a conceptualization of humanity that did not Fall, etc. LotR is deeply Christian, though you could definitely analyze it as an attempt to reconcile nordic and christian mythology.

Zizek says it the best:

quote:

In today’s proliferation of new forms of spirituality, it is often difficult to recognize the authentic traces of a Christianity which remains faithful to its own theologico-political core. A hint was provided by G.K. Chesterton, who turned around the standard (mis)perception according to which the ancient pagan attitude is one of the joyful assertion of life, while Christianity imposes a somber order of guilt and renunciation. It is, on the contrary, the pagan stance which is deeply melancholic: even if it preaches a pleasurable life, it is in the mode of “enjoy it while it lasts, because, in the end, there is always death and decay.” The message of Christianity is, on the contrary, one of an infinite joy beneath the deceptive surface of guilt and renunciation: “The outer ring of Christianity is a rigid guard of ethical abnegations and professional priests; but inside that inhuman guard you will find the old human life dancing like children, and drinking wine like men; for Christianity is the only frame for pagan freedom.” [Orthodoxy, p.164]

Is not Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings the ultimate proof of this paradox? Only a devout Christian could have imagined such a magnificent pagan universe, thereby confirming that paganism is the ultimate Christian dream. Which is why the conservative Christian critics who expressed their concern at how The Lord of the Rings undermines Christianity with its portrayal of pagan magic miss the point, i.e., the perverse conclusion which is unavoidable here: You want to enjoy the pagan dream of pleasurable life without paying the price of melancholic sadness for it? Choose Christianity!

This is why C.S. Lewis’s vision of Narnia is ultimately a failure: it doesn’t work because it tries to infuse the pagan mythic universe with Christian motifs (the Christ-like sacrifice of the lion in the first novel, etc.). Instead of Christianizing paganism, such a move paganizes Christianity, re-inscribing it back into the pagan universe where it simply doesn’t belong—the result is a false pagan myth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zizek says it the best:

I'll have to read that, thanks.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Granted I have not read every Narnia book but even if he is using an Anglican framework for his world he at least has the decency to not explain how many angels can dance on the head of a pin in Narnia, you know ?

Yeah, I don't want to come down too hard on Lewis because there are moments of true brilliance in his work; even the late stuff, like Magician's Nephew, has passages I find myself returning to over and over again:

quote:

Ever since the animals had first appeared, Uncle Andrew had been shrinking further and further back into the thicket. He watched them very hard of course; but he wasn’t really interested in seeing what they were doing, only in seeing whether they were going to make a rush at him. Like the Witch, he was dreadfully practical. He simply didn’t notice that Aslan was choosing one pair out of every kind of beasts. All he saw, or thought he saw, was a lot of dangerous wild animals walking vaguely about. And he kept on wondering why the other animals didn’t run away from the big Lion.

When the great moment came and the Beasts spoke, he missed the whole point; for a rather interesting reason. When the Lion had first begun singing, long ago when it was still quite dark, he had realized that the noise was a song. And he had disliked the song very much. It made him think and feel things he did not want to think and feel. Then, when the sun rose and he saw that the singer was a lion (“only a lion,” as he said to himself) he tried his hardest to make believe that it wasn’t singing and never had been singing—only roaring as any lion might in a zoo in our own world. “Of course it can’t really have been singing,” he thought, “I must have imagined it. I’ve been letting my nerves get out of order. Who ever heard of a lion singing?” And the longer and more beautiful the Lion sang, the harder Uncle Andrew tried to make himself believe that he could hear nothing but roaring. Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. Uncle Andrew did. He soon did hear nothing but roaring in Aslan’s song. Soon he couldn’t have heard anything else even if he had wanted to. And when at last the Lion spoke and said, “Narnia awake,” he didn’t hear any words: he heard only a snarl. And when the Beasts spoke in answer, he heard only barkings, growlings, bayings, and howlings. And when they laughed—well, you can imagine. That was worse for Uncle Andrew than anything that had happened yet. Such a horrid, bloodthirsty din of hungry and angry brutes he had never heard in his life. Then, to his utter rage and horror, he saw the other three humans actually walking out into the open to meet the animals.

“The fools!” he said to himself. “Now those brutes will eat the rings along with the children and I’ll never be able to get home again. What a selfish little boy that Digory is! And the others are just as bad. If they want to throw away their own lives, that’s their business. But what about me? They don’t seem to think of that. No one thinks of me.”

I think it's just a raw nerve for me personally because he was so much more wonderful an author before I understood him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
So even Lewis fell into the "over explaining poo poo" trap.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lame and I am glad I never read magicians nephew because I am with HA that poo poo like a random 19th century lamp post and a talking beaver just being things that happen randomly is most of the story's charm

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The really sad thing is that if you buy them now they're boxed in story chronological order not publication order so it tells you to start with Magician's Nephew first and it just isn't the same

Dunsany was good though read him

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like I think in terms of pure creativity, CS Lewis was among the best fantasy writers because he at least understood the inherent nature of the fantastical
Determining how the rings and pools work is a major plot point in The Magician's Nephew. Admittedly the pools themselves and the multiverse are never explained, but still, sometimes the fantastical does follow rules. Things like curses and boons and prophecies are similar. Cú Chulainn is defeated by rules lawyering, Orestes has to go to an actual trial so Athena can determine whether he should be punished for violating one of two conflicting duties, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

Determining how the rings and pools work is a major plot point in The Magician's Nephew. Admittedly the pools themselves and the multiverse are never explained, but still, sometimes the fantastical does follow rules. Things like curses and boons and prophecies are similar. Cú Chulainn is defeated by rules lawyering, Orestes has to go to an actual trial so Athena can determine whether he should be punished for violating one of two conflicting duties, etc.

Arguing Greek Mythology follows rules is absurd

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lame and I am glad I never read magicians nephew because I am with HA that poo poo like a random 19th century lamp post

What do you have against me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sanderson winds me up because he puts so much effort into a magic system and as far as I can tell it's X-Men. Some people can eat metals, some can store magic in metal, its an extensively categorised set of powers that seems just arbitrarily scattered across the characters. It is, as BotL would say, loving banal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of X-Men, I have to get around to reviewing Fifth Season at some point. And I have to agree with what someone in a webcomic thread said when we were discussing asinine monsters-as-minorities comics: X-Men has ruined a generation by convincing people that being a superpowered weirdo is a great metaphor for the minority experience.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Honestly one of the unspoken tropes of fantasy that I have always found to be particularly nefarious was the equivocation of stereotype into culture and culture into race. Its a vestige of a dark way of thinking from the early 20th century that for some reason never got upgraded.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 2, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Can you give me an example of a story that used "magic" well?

I'm not speaking for Mel Mudkiper, but I would like to put forward an example of a genre fantasy that I thought used magic quite well: Moorcock's Elric of Melniborne series.

Elric is a sorcerer who has access to a wide variety of magic. Occasionally he does cast spells in the modern Dungeons and Dragons sense, but far more commonly it involves calling upon various spiritual courts his ancestors had made pacts with.

The way those pacts come into play in the story tends to follow a predictable pattern. Elric and his allies will come under some danger that seems likely to overwhelm them, Elric recalls some pact his predecessors made with a particular spirit or spirit court and calls upon them for help, they appear and rescue him. Typically, they afterwards inform Elric that the pact is now void, and that from that point onward that particular spirit will no longer help him.

This is almost invariably used as a kind of "get out of trouble" free card, often kills the tension (although there might be some pathos if a companion isn't similarly saved), and the fact that that particular spirit won't rescue Elric a second time doesn't mean much when the author can continuously invent more helpful spirits that just so happen to owe some debt to Elric's bloodline.

This happens once a twice a book, for most of the six books. Despite how cheap and unsatisfying this may sound, it still works because of the story Moorcock is telling.

Elric starts the series as prince of an ancient magical Empire, with a beautiful lover, undreamt of wealth, and by the end of the first book, his only major rival beaten. But his love of excitement and his fear of the gods lead him on more and more reckless adventures. As a result, his empire crumbles, his lover dies, and his wealth is pillaged. And every so often he gets himself into a situation that should by all rights kill him, only for a magical spirit to bale him out. That magic is one of his final inheritances, and every time he calls on it, it wanes just a bit further.

For a story to use magic well is for the magic to serve the story being told. In this case, the stories are about a fantastically powerful and wealthy individual, fearful of the whims of the gods, ironically becoming personally responsible for losing everything. In the story, Elric's magic is just one more thing for him to lose.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Magic can be as comprehensible as it wants to be when it's screwing over the protagonist, which is generally how things turn out for Elric.

Also one can argue Elric, being structured as essentially a tragedy (at least in its overall arc), allows some wiggle room with getting out of scrapes through magical contrivances for a couple of reasons. For one, Elric's ultimate fate was known relatively early, so one knows he's headed for a worse spot than anything he tends to get into. For another, tragedy is all about doing stupid things and blowing your opportunities or refusing to listen when people tell you to treat your advantages with care.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 2, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zizek says it the best:

I actually have a theory now: BravestOfTheLamps is the account Zizek posts on when he wants to unwind in a relatively non-bizarre way.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm fat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in my opinion the culture must be destroyed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All this talk about magic versus future tech got me thinking of The Quantum Thief and its sequels. For a book set in a post-singularity-ish solar society the technology and descriptions therein all have the wording and descriptions of what is basically magic yet we know its technological. There are no in depth explanations of how the tech works or what invented scientist created the "X effect" that allows for all those things and everything is presented as is and you have to just accept the crazy explanations and take it in the context of the story and characters.

For all the books I've read where the authors love expounding on their magical systems in detail and explain all the tech advancements with fancy invented words a book that doesn't bother explaining the impossible and just treats it as a normal in universe thing is far more engaging with more depth because you get the sense that internal logic exists as defined by the writer but they feel no need for page long info dumps.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And makes sense, it's not like most people today could tell you how exactly a car works, let alone a computer.

I recall something that was basically 'What if fiction set in the modern day was written like science fiction' which had tons of unneccessary infodumps on exactly that kind of thing. Then again, it's not like literary authors don't do exactly that kind of thing with something they think is remotely obscure and want to sound smart.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

They do...in painstaking detail...on loop...explain why they can't just jump ahead in tech super far like that. I expect your eyes must of just glazed over during every single now here let me explain my tech dohicky moment which is where this was explained over and over again.

I'll admit that I ended up zoning out (and quitting halfway through the series) a lot of these books and remember little except the Magically Undetectable By Evil Aliens orbital bombardment system that blows up anything that's too technological except when it doesn't. Like you can run around with robots and nanofabbers and crap, but we're supposed to be worried about gunpowder?

Or was there a whole section on starting with base metallurgy before titanium I missed?

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

What are you talking about? They worked hard to interrupt the scriptures in a different manner and actually used the scripture to argue that they were right and the church was wrong, the only book they disagreed with heavily was the book of Shueler or however you spelled it.

It's been a while since I read these but I remember Kayleb arguing or thinking that Shan-wei was truly worthy of worship and that the Church was fully of poo poo. Merlin certainly thinks it's bullshit, you have a pile of datacores and technology you can probably pass off as miracles, and the Gbaba are still out there. WE know as readers a Gbaba death fleet isn't going to drop in on a humanity still in the age of sail, but the characters have no reason to think this. Yes, there's that weird orbital bombardment system that is simultaneously more advanced than anything on the planet but randomly undetectable by aliens (why they can't use this tech on the rest of their hi-tech systems is beyond me).

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

No, because just killing the church leaders would of been seen as a plot against the church by evil and would of strengthened the unity of the church and belief in it. They needed to make the church the Villian in the eyes of the people.

Heinlein does this a lot better when he has his characters hijack the church's spreading superstition. Merlin could have probably shown up with his tech and made some bullshit miracles. Hell, throw a hologram of Schuyler denouncing the corruption in His church, sort it out later. As is you have enough rulers interested in secularism and the Charisians basically go "gently caress it" at the first opportunity. Hell, if Weber was a bolder author he'd have his protagonists actually gently caress up doing something like this and it would add actual tension to the story.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I don't think the book was symbolism for religion vs science, closer to protestant reformation. The Gbaba is a long term threat for the future and part of the premise of the story, what exactly did you want Weber to do here? Have the Gbaba show up right when they beat the church at the end? Have the characters constantly worrying about a threat they can currently do NOTHING about?

The Gbaba have this weird thing mentioned in the prologue where the characters speculate they're running on doctrine they don't question, which is supposed to be a parallel to the Church. All of the main characters seem to lose/abandon an actual faith in God on a supposedly theocratic planet - you don't get (gently caress it) Caleb or Charlene trying to reconcile a faith with God with the provable falseness of their doctrine.

The problem with the Safehold series is that you could have quite a few possibilities for actual conflict and dramatic tension, but tossed it away so we can have a power fantasy about Good Spaceship Lego Mans vs Bad Sword Lego Mans. What if Merlin had to unite the planet on their own without the help of sympathetic kings? What if the Charisian royals realized Merlin was basically using them to finish a private vendetta? What if there were more factions than the Weberian Wise Monarch and the Cartoonishly Evil Bad Guys? You could do a lot with the premise, and it's wasted here.

On an unrelated note, you guys crapping on Sanderson's magic systems are missing that it's a direct response to the magic-as-narcissism. The big thing with magic is that it's moved more to something the protagonists can use and a lot of the bottom of the barrel authors use it to justify why their heroic god-king self-insert should be able to do whatever whenever. This isn't lashing out at mysterious magic, it's Sanderson's way of trying to keep his characters out of the narcissism hole. The fact that the magic basically becomes technology is kind of an intended side effect.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall something that was basically 'What if fiction set in the modern day was written like science fiction' which had tons of unneccessary infodumps on exactly that kind of thing. Then again, it's not like literary authors don't do exactly that kind of thing with something they think is remotely obscure and want to sound smart.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=635193?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There we go. I like to think that's what historical fiction looks like in those kind of books.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

those drat literary authors can't fool me with their attempts to sound smart!!!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Then again, it's not like literary authors don't do exactly that kind of thing with something they think is remotely obscure and want to sound smart.

example

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dan Brown.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I pray to Christ that's a troll

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My god, I'm reading Demon Princes and Jack Vance is predicting "If All Stories Were Written Like Science Fiction Stories" with his futuristic Amsterdam. Truly a remarkable writer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All but maybe one of the Demon Princes were nakedly petulant nerds desperate to sooth their egos, it was great.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I really dislike Webber, his baby the Honor Harrington series is just as terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

I really dislike Webber, his baby the Honor Harrington series is just as terrible.

I feel like the Honor Harrington series basically started at a time when hard-ish future military sci fi with ship battles in great detail was in short supply so it gained a large fanbase, but by book 20 you look back and realize that Webber is not a good writer and everything he writes is to fuel his jerk-off fantasies of Space UK dunking on everyone including Space Republic France, Space USA, and Space Illuminati.