Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I definitely have made this comment already but that's the best "meanwhile..." in comics history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rachel did (pages not sequential):

Who is the artist and inker here? I see a lot of John Byrne cues but the layout doesn't look much like his style.

EDIT: Oh, Alan Davis. I don't know him. Did he ink this as well as pencil?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Oh, Alan Davis. I don't know him. Did he ink this as well as pencil?

Not sure - might have been Mark Farmer, who's his usual collaborator on inks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure - might have been Mark Farmer, who's his usual collaborator on inks.

Not Paul Neary? I'm not going by any actual knowledge -- I just remember seeing "Davis/Neary" in credits a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Not Paul Neary? I'm not going by any actual knowledge -- I just remember seeing "Davis/Neary" in credits a lot.

I know Neary did a lot of work with Davis, but having checked Wikipedia, I think Farmer inked him on Excalibur (as well as stuff like ClanDestine, Fantastic Four: The End and JLA: The Nail/Another Nail).

Edit: Having double-checked, I see that both Neary and Farmer inked Davis on Excalibur but I'm not sure when. Based on the look of them, I'd say those pages are Farmer, so Neary must have inked the run when Claremont was writing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
It's Excalibur v1 #61.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Alan Davis as a writer is weird. There's something about his dialogue flow that seems somehow off, all the time. The cadence is neither realistic nor smooth.

Also, he's as allergic to exclamation points as Silver Age authors were fond of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What's wrong with eschewing certain types of punctuation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm okay with a writer being anti-exclamation point. There are already too many of them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

prefect posted:

I'm okay with a writer being anti-exclamation point. There are already too many of them.

"Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sick of all these exclamation points!!!!!!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

These exclamation points are making me thirsty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Top of the morning..... to YOU!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Top of the morning..... to YOU!

I can see that in the cover of a silver age comic with the heroes looking straight at the readers in fear and the name of the story is "The LepraCON!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I can see that in the cover of a silver age comic with the heroes looking straight at the readers in fear and the name of the story is "The LepraCON!"

From Steve Gerber's Defenders series.

More on-topic, here's Martian Manhunter having no time for Batman's bullshit:

From Superman/Batman #29

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
More people calling Bats on his bullshit would be wonderful, please and thank you

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What, did they have J'onn get over the fire thing again?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

To be fair, MM was under the influence of (other) aliens, and just the previous issue Batman was attacked by a shapeshifter looking like J'onn, so can't fault batman for taking a precaution or two

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

This is from about a decade ago so the whole DC Universe has probably been rebooted like 5-6 times by now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

I think it was more meant to be one of those cool moments like when Superman fights somebody with kryptonite (like Metallo or Luthor half the time) and pushes through the pain instead of just doubling over crippled until some other hero kicks it away. J'onn keeps going because of willpower and gently caress You that's why.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 1, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

I think it was more meant to be one of those cool moments like when Superman fights somebody with kryptonite (like Metallo or Luthor half the time) and pushes through the pain instead of just doubling over crippled until some other hero kicks it away. J'onn keeps going because of willpower and gently caress You that's why.

"gently caress You, Batman" is a sentiment anyone can get behind.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The only good Batman was NightOwl*.

*comic batman**

**wait, they made comics with Adam West type batman, didnt they?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They also made a BTAS comic and it owned.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Good Batman, you say? Self-quote w/correction added:

Ygolonac posted:

Look, it's the Dark Knight Black Panther and Robin the Boy Wonder Spector the Moon Knight Everett the Clueless Idiot!

(Black Panther v3 #22, T'challa got killed by Killmonger (yes, again) and Moon Knight (currently not speaking to Khonshu) is helping to get him back to this side of dead. Well, except for Nightmare loving around with everything.)
(This is the volume with Everett K. Ross and good god the writing for him... :suicide:)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

In this story the Fantastic Four fought a giant mech piloted by Robo Stalin.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm Mr. Fantastic trying to blow up Mecha-Stalin from point-blank range with a panzerschrek.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Samovar posted:

I'm Mr. Fantastic trying to blow up Mecha-Stalin from point-blank range with a panzerschrek.

That's Ben. Mr. F is being stretched like taffy.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Wanderer posted:

Alan Davis as a writer is weird. There's something about his dialogue flow that seems somehow off, all the time. The cadence is neither realistic nor smooth.

Also, he's as allergic to exclamation points as Silver Age authors were fond of them.

I like his plotting, though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

prefect posted:

That's Ben. Mr. F is being stretched like taffy.

Ben who? Ben Grimm is clearly punching something in Thing mode.

Is Rick Jones helping?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nevvy Z posted:

Ben who? Ben Grimm is clearly punching something in Thing mode.

Is Rick Jones helping?

That's Ms Thing . Ben Grimm i human during that arc.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My favorite is how Sue is just kinda kicking back on the arm, watching the show without any apparent concern or investment.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The fucks she gives are invisible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I like his plotting, though.

Yeah, Davis not only worked in stuff from the earlier Claremont stories at the beginning of Excalibur, but he delved into the previous Captain Britain stuff as well. Even within his own run he set things up that paid off many issues down the line, which is the kind of thing you can do when you're on a book for 20+ issues. That's sadly a dying art in today's 6 or 12 issues then you're gone comics workplace. :sigh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Professor Wayne posted:

The fucks she gives are invisible.

Like in Hollow Man?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jerusalem posted:

This is from about a decade ago so the whole DC Universe has probably been rebooted like 5-6 times by now.

Yeah apparently there was a story arc around 2003 when a fire powered lady somehow got J'onn to accidentally revert back to a primal Martian from before they were split into white and green, which meant apparently he was a fire based creature (alongside all his other powers) called "Fernus". He went bonkers and it took Plastic Man to defeat him, due to the shape-changing and his innate resistance to psychic ability. Afterwards, he told Supes that he was now only vulnerable to "The fires of passion" :flame::fh:

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah apparently there was a story arc around 2003 when a fire powered lady somehow got J'onn to accidentally revert back to a primal Martian from before they were split into white and green, which meant apparently he was a fire based creature (alongside all his other powers) called "Fernus". He went bonkers and it took Plastic Man to defeat him, due to the shape-changing and his innate resistance to psychic ability. Afterwards, he told Supes that he was now only vulnerable to "The fires of passion" :flame::fh:

And for the record, it was the Guardians of the Universe that made the split. The primal Martians were powerful enough and batshit crazy enough that the Guardians just went "HEY THERE WOW NO" and stopped them in their tracks.

Also, it was revealed there that Batman, in typical Batman fashion, brought Plastic Man into the Justice League just in case J'onn turned sides/went nuts/whatever. Something about Plas being immune to his telepathy maybe, but I know Bats said something about Plastic Mans' shapeshifting being more intuition based, while Martian shapeshifting was more of a science/study? Also, J'onn was dating fire lady, but she died at the end of the story.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So then what's Bats' plan if Plastic Man goes rogue instead?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pureauthor posted:

Literally the rest of the league.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pureauthor posted:

he is his own worst enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Afterwards, he told Supes that he was now only vulnerable to "The fires of passion" :flame::fh:

Amazingly, not written by Geoff Johns.