Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Based on the description, you'd need at least enough of a melee force to tank the damage before the hellblasters can kill off the enemy. So like, 16 hellblasters, a melee lord, and some steam tanks maybe.

I feel like they should at least have auto resolve consider composition in the sense that if one side has more melee than the other, the side with more melee will be able to attack the ranged units before wiping out the enemy melee, to represent their ability to flank around the enemy line.

It depends. It wasn't mentioned in the write-up but ranged units get some free skirmish rounds in the auto-resolve so if the simulation says you completely wipe out the enemy within those rounds you wouldn't need much in the way of melee. Those free rounds are pretty much entirely the reason ranged damage and ammunition are the most important factors as otherwise you'd just want to go full, strong melee to mulch the other side and then mulch their ranged. The other thing, about ranged taking no damage and being able to continue to shoot uncontested until melee is dead, is just insult to injury really.

Auto-Resolve is set up to take some factors like match-ups into consideration though, despite what the write-up says. It's just currently few if any are actually in use and modders would need to make them active. You can basically set kps force multipliers for this vs. that so if you wanted to simulate cavalry wiping out all ranged units/artillery you'd add a multiplier to cavalry vs. artillery or whatever while also making sure to give missiles/artillery severe penalties against cavalry so they wouldn't get wiped by them, obviously. At the moment, for instance, cavalry gets a hefty kps modifier during any land battles against all enemies. They also have several entries for ranged kps penalties, including separate entries for stuff like missile cavalry. Just, at the moment the penalties are set to 0.

Related, but I checked and they do take difficulty into consideration now. Legendary has a 15% auto-resolve penalty, very hard is 10%, hard is 7.5%, normal is 5% and easy is 1% for whatever reason. They also have it split up so that in the future they can apply different multipliers to different types of battles, like offensive siege, defensive siege, land battle, etc. though at the moment all penalties are of the same value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Pierson posted:

High Elf lords being complete garbage wastrels unless you pay influence is really funny and fits elves perfectly.

I find it kind of bizarre, personally. Mostly because you can work around a lot of the negative ones (Oh nooo, -5 melee defense) while the positive ones have you just recruiting goku

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, that dragon battle went well enough. Not really had much use for it before, but used it to great effect to immobilize and focus-fire on the princess and then the other dragons with my warp-lightning cannons.

I feel Ratsure Cackle deserves a new name to honor his devious anti-dragon tactics.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Hellpit Abomination has a chance to go "lol nope" when it gets to 0hp and instantly jump back to 10% health. I had this proc twice in a row one battle which was instrumental in turning the tide (and saving my monster).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Hellpit Abomination has a chance to go "lol nope" when it gets to 0hp and instantly jump back to 10% health. I had this proc twice in a row one battle which was instrumental in turning the tide (and saving my monster).

And also it shits out a swarm of rats because of course it does.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Aren't they supposed to spawn stormvermin on occasion too? Never seen that happen.

Also, do Skaven have to put up with enemy Skaven stacks during the later rituals, or are they all Chaos?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Aren't they supposed to spawn stormvermin on occasion too? Never seen that happen.

Also, do Skaven have to put up with enemy Skaven stacks during the later rituals, or are they all Chaos?

almost definitely the first.

i am so very, very hugely a fan of the fact that constantly raiding your own territory is not just a viable strategy for rats, it is just about the optimal one

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Am I the only one extremely annoyed that skirmish mode is enabled by default on every unit that has it, even though most ranged units aren't actually skirmish-capable? Your average unit of archers or crossbowmen isn't outrunning poo poo, and stopping shooting well in advance to instead expose your rear is stupid as hell.

I've had multiple close calls in battles after forgetting to click it off at the start. I'm too busy microing cavalry(or just gawping at fights) to notice that my archers have stopped shooting and are instead milling about in a huge blob that's about to give up 140 kills to a single plague catapult shot. A fellow sea guard three formations over saw a skavenslave, so it's time to awkwardly shuffle into a giant pile and talk about how this battle sucks and your feet hurt, instead of gunning down the entire stack in a single volley.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

You can turn the auto skirmish off in game options

also, chameleon skinks are the most adorable unit

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zhulik posted:

Am I the only one extremely annoyed that skirmish mode is enabled by default on every unit that has it, even though most ranged units aren't actually skirmish-capable? Your average unit of archers or crossbowmen isn't outrunning poo poo, and stopping shooting well in advance to instead expose your rear is stupid as hell.

Yeah it's really annoying, there's an option in gameplay that turns it off auto default but then you'll have to turn it on for actual skirmish type units, which I found easier than the reverse.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it's really annoying, there's an option in gameplay that turns it off auto default but then you'll have to turn it on for actual skirmish type units, which I found easier than the reverse.

Oh, thank you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zhulik posted:

I've had multiple close calls in battles after forgetting to click it off at the start. I'm too busy microing cavalry(or just gawping at fights) to notice that my archers have stopped shooting and are instead milling about in a huge blob that's about to give up 140 kills to a single plague catapult shot. A fellow sea guard three formations over saw a skavenslave, so it's time to awkwardly shuffle into a giant pile and talk about how this battle sucks and your feet hurt, instead of gunning down the entire stack in a single volley.

You can turn this off in the options.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

StashAugustine posted:

Skaven fighting skaven is absolutely a thing in the endgame. I had a fight where 4 full skaven stacks attacked a fully upgraded ritual city guarded by a full stack. Like 17000 rats fighting to the bitter end in a 35 minute battle.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Some recent screenshots. I was frustrated and kind of iffy on the game for the first two days, but since I started racing every lord to get upkeep reduction skills and focus on improving settlement garrisons I've been having tons of fun! Now, I can expect an interesting battle every few turns, whereas in TWW1 I mostly autoresolved towards the end. (Very Hard difficulty)

The Supreme Spellshield quest battle got a lot easier once I got Malekith a dragon.

Here he is 40 turns later on the way to taking Lothern. With all his Unique items and a +30% ward save talisman, he's practically unkillable by archers. He just flew over them casting Dread Wind and Noxious Breath while everyone else walked. He ended up with 300 kills.

"Stop, that tickles!"

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I find it kind of bizarre, personally. Mostly because you can work around a lot of the negative ones (Oh nooo, -5 melee defense) while the positive ones have you just recruiting goku

It does fit the idea that 99.9% of elf society is full of useless morons who are only able to stay afloat because the remaining .1% is completely overpowered baddasses like the twins.

Also the traits seem to be duffert not just to lords vs heroes, but also for each type of hero. I found one for loremasters that not only masivly buffs swordmasters, but also makes them a one turn recruit.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah, it's generally not too hard to find recruits whose "negatives" are completely irrelevant. Like, someone want to tell me why I care about -5% speed on my Lore of Life mage?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A lot of Elven nobles are useless, but the average high elf has spent far more time drilling and probably fighting in his local militia than most humans. It's reflected in their stats.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MadJackMcJack posted:

So what you're saying is that a stack of 19 Hellblasters is basically undefeatable? I might have to summon some Elector Counts.....

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Okay, we've established that you can turn the auto-skirmish option off, but now I'm almost sad I didn't get to experience ironbreakers running away to throw more satchel charges.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
At this pont, "turn off skirmish, turn on guard" is so written into my muscle memory that fixing it in options might gently caress me up more.

I know most people want a three way thunderdome at Karak 8 Peaks for Mortal Empires, but my hope is that they finally do something with Skavenblight, since it's a decent sized very obvious hole in the middle of the Game 1 map.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Siets posted:

Any good/skillful Mazdamundi LP'ers folks can recommend at the moment? I want to skim through what they've got going on to benchmark myself against. I learned a whole lot about how to play optimally by watching Legend of Total War, but the dude actively admits that he basically hates the Warhammer setting throughout each and every video. It's really grating to watch honestly. Also high elves are heavily archer based, which is the complete opposite of the lizardmen composition.

Well PartyElite's starting a Mazdamundi playthrough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

New Butt Order posted:

At this pont, "turn off skirmish, turn on guard" is so written into my muscle memory that fixing it in options might gently caress me up more.

I know most people want a three way thunderdome at Karak 8 Peaks for Mortal Empires, but my hope is that they finally do something with Skavenblight, since it's a decent sized very obvious hole in the middle of the Game 1 map.

Presumably that would be where queek starts from, since both other factions have to start outside Karak.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Pierson posted:

Is it a bug that when upgrading from a Cold One to a Horned One mount, Kroq-gar's stats utterly tank? His HP goes from something like 5000 to 800. That can't possibly be right can it?

Possibly, but you shouldn't upgrade him to a Horned one as that wastes a point. You only need the Cold One to unlock (once he reaches the right level) his unique Carnosaur mount, which is many times better than either of those.

quote:

Also while we're on Lizardmen is there any reason at all, ever, to take shield-less Saurans?

Unless you're so deep into the financial weeds that the slight maintenance difference matters, no. I disbanded most of Kroq-gar's when I could because you can't merge them either.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

City defense as the Skaven is different. Basically, you can't really depend on your infantry to hold the walls effectively, particuarly against Kroq-Gar's posse of swole saurus boys. What you do have however are warlock engineers (warp lightning seems decently effective against untis blobbed up in close combat), artillery, menace below and the warp bomb ability. Seems like you basically want to do something more akin to guerilla fightning where you pull back into the settlement gradually rather than try and hold the walls or the gate or anything silly like that. Use menace below to tie down units moving into dangerous positions and when their health drops low and they are surrounded martyr them for the Horned Rat. It might also help to invest some food into some extra uses of menace below. I also found moving vanguard units like gutter runners and night runners outside the wall and skirmishing with the enemy effective as a delay to allow my towers as long of a window to fire on the enemy as possible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Randarkman posted:

City defense as the Skaven is different. Basically, you can't really depend on your infantry to hold the walls effectively, particuarly against Kroq-Gar's posse of swole saurus boys. What you do have however are warlock engineers (warp lightning seems decently effective against untis blobbed up in close combat), artillery, menace below and the warp bomb ability. Seems like you basically want to do something more akin to guerilla fightning where you pull back into the settlement gradually rather than try and hold the walls or the gate or anything silly like that. Use menace below to tie down units moving into dangerous positions and when their health drops low and they are surrounded martyr them for the Horned Rat. It might also help to invest some food into some extra uses of menace below. I also found moving vanguard units like gutter runners and night runners outside the wall and skirmishing with the enemy effective as a delay to allow my towers as long of a window to fire on the enemy as possible.

Menace below right behind a blob of dudes hitting your gate or going up ladders then blow them up with a warp bomb can get an insane amount of kills. I actually find Skaven good on the siege defense because they have good AoE spells, menace below and the opportunity to Sally out and ambush the besieging army. Their wall layout is nice too with perpendicular wall positions to let you shoot at guys attacking your gate.

Slingers have crappy range but I think the Gutter runner versions have almost archer range compared to slaves.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
This is a minor thing but I really like that they added the "Immortality" skill to heroes and non-legendary lords, giving you extra incentive to actually level/care about those guys.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Warp Lightning is absolutely devastating against units stuck on the walls. I've been pretty consistently able to knock fancy elf infantry down to about half health with a single good hit (playing on large unit sizes for what it's worth).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
29 total skill points per hero / lord, right?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

29 total skill points per hero / lord, right?

39. Level cap is 40 now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kaza42 posted:

39. Level cap is 40 now

Nice.

Anyone figured out an efficient way to use Queek's experience siphon to level him up extra fast?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Randarkman posted:

As someone who just played Kroq-gar's side of this vs the AI, it's actually worthwhile to leave some units on the wall to tarpit the saurus that come up. Then once they're packed in nice and tight you can lay into them with every piece of artillery and warlock spell you have. Once they start raging it becomes even easier...nearly lost several saurus cohorts on that drat wall. Works even better vs siege towers cause you don't have to wait for them to climb, they all burst out at once.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Menace below right behind a blob of dudes hitting your gate or going up ladders then blow them up with a warp bomb can get an insane amount of kills. I actually find Skaven good on the siege defense because they have good AoE spells, menace below and the opportunity to Sally out and ambush the besieging army. Their wall layout is nice too with perpendicular wall positions to let you shoot at guys attacking your gate.

Slingers have crappy range but I think the Gutter runner versions have almost archer range compared to slaves.

Their range is even shorter than slingers but globe throwers can be pretty devastating on a wall, too. Especially if you pop some clanrats right as the enemy reaches the wall, forcing them to clump up a bit and kill them while they get hammered by poison grenades from above.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

I'm thinking of the Vortex campaign more as like one of the mini campaigns for the Wood Elves or something than a full grand campaign. The combined map coming up soon will be where the real replayability comes from.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have we gotten any more details on the mega campaign, beyond the name and that it will be straight conquest?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can just ignore the ritual and play however you want. The only reason I do it is for the cash influx and free xp from slaughtering chaos armies. You can stop another faction from completing their final ritual indefinitely by winning the quest battle or whatever.

That being said, I'd prefer if it wasn't in the game at all, and I'm a lot more interested in the mega campaign.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
My experience is that if you want to win the ritual race, you probably need to intervene personally. Those expeditions tend to make things interesting for me.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Have we gotten any more details on the mega campaign, beyond the name and that it will be straight conquest?

the province list came out. old world stays exactly as it was, bottom tip of notafrica and the western coasts of both Naggarond and Lustria get cut off, Hell Pit and Skavenblight become provinces in the old world.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The thing about the intervention armies is that if you send one on round 1 of a ritual and they succeed, when that intervention-ed team gets their poo poo together they will crush your intervention and recapture the city before the last turn of the ritual and it'll successfully complete. In order for intervention armies to work you need a personally controlled army or two in the area causing havoc in other places and drawing off defenders long enough to keep it from getting retaken.

Interventions are also piss easy to defend against, just keep a 3/4th stack army or so on each of your ritual sites, have the upgraded walls. Even on the last ritual when everyone drops an intervention army on you at once, in my game all three armies dropped on my capital, the High Elves sieged and the Dark Elves & Skaven just sat around with a thumb up their asses waiting for their turn to take a swing at my army + garrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DeathSandwich posted:

The thing about the intervention armies is that if you send one on round 1 of a ritual and they succeed, when that intervention-ed team gets their poo poo together they will crush your intervention and recapture the city before the last turn of the ritual and it'll successfully complete. In order for intervention armies to work you need a personally controlled army or two in the area causing havoc in other places and drawing off defenders long enough to keep it from getting retaken.

Interventions are also piss easy to defend against, just keep a 3/4th stack army or so on each of your ritual sites, have the upgraded walls. Even on the last ritual when everyone drops an intervention army on you at once, in my game all three armies dropped on my capital, the High Elves sieged and the Dark Elves & Skaven just sat around with a thumb up their asses waiting for their turn to take a swing at my army + garrison.

What I would really like to see done regarding intervention/spawned armies:
Make them all ally each other. I don't care how little sense it makes, I want to defend my capital against a combined force of every army trying desperately to stop me, not easily managed piecemeal chunks
Have their spawn locations noted beforehand, or even have a fixed path. Defending minor cities first is fine, losing a half dozen settlements because the stacks spawned in the middle of nowhere that is currently defended by six men and a wall is not.
Make the spawns more focused on their destination. Having them go on huge detours to burn down my other cities is annoying and just weakens the final attack on the city I care about
Have them come in two waves, preferably in combination with fixing their spawn locations to be much closer. When you first start a ritual, one stack spawns outside each of the three cities, plus some extra stacks outside a random one. Then 5 turns in a group of stacks spawns on each city.