Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Man, Otepec Huntmaster is a workhorse in limited. That card absolutely wins me games when I drop it early. If your opponent has one out it needs to eat removal ASAP.

Also I won a game against an opponent whom I had down to 3 life because I had a Rampaging Ferocidon down and they cast Call to the Feast and pinged themselves to death. lol

All in all I'm really enjoying this Naya Dinos deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Behind the SCG paywall today they posted a video of a Sultai Dynavolt deck. Can someone grab that list, I wonder if it's interesting or janky

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Drafted B/W Vampires this past Saturday and went 3-0. Going into the set, I thought they were going to be terrible because its creatures are generally small and there isn't really a mass pump spell--the white uncommon one is just +1/+1, and the red one is also uncommon. It turns out, though, that despite throwing out a bunch of tokens, it's not really a traditional go-wide deck. Between Legion Conquistador (who is surprisingly quite good), the amount of lifelink you have, and the 5-drop 3/3 that gives a Vampire +2/+0 every combat, you can actually attrition out a lot of decks by swinging in with a moderately-pumped creature every turn.

I think the main thing I really didn't spot going in is that there really isn't a smooth progression in creature size in this format--things are either small or they're big. Once you start going larger than a 3/3, you're pretty much just dealing with Dinosaurs.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This limited feels so on rails. I look at every p1p1 with a sense of dread because chances are, it’s a tribal card and it’s always a roll of the dice if that tribe will be open.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, thanks to some lucky drafts and the prerelease I now have four Burning Sun's Avatars. I hope they find a place in a standard deck so I can get to playing more events than just limited.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

This limited feels so on rails. I look at every p1p1 with a sense of dread because chances are, it’s a tribal card and it’s always a roll of the dice if that tribe will be open.

I've definitely found myself not playing my p1p1 a lot more than any set in recent memory. The packs in general are powered down so you actually have to read signals and draft well if you want a good deck, instead of just forcing whatever color you opened bombs in.

I'm enjoying drafting, but the gameplay itself is fairly meh.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've drafted once so far, which was a fairly generic aggressiveish WB deck with some guys, removal, and tricks. I suppose you could call it vampires but I wouldn't, since my only synergies were the suntail hawk and the 1 Mana white trick. Still managed to go 3-0 through some luck, best card was easily Imperial Aerosaur.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, thanks to some lucky drafts and the prerelease I now have four Burning Sun's Avatars. I hope they find a place in a standard deck so I can get to playing more events than just limited.

You probably won't ever need 4 of them but if there's a good dinosaur deck I'm pretty convinced that BSA will be a part of it. Card is gas

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Comments section of the Popeye Stompy joke is solid gold

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Maybe... Dont speculate on card game?????

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Trolling is good and if dummy speccers fall for it all the better.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Trolling is good and if dummy speccers fall for it all the better.

100%, anyone who looked at Rishadan Brigand and said "yeah, this should be $20 due to Legacy play" deserves to get fleeced.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I hope you guys got your Hostage Takers when it was on preorder for $4 because it is up to $18 right now.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that's actually why Ramirez Dipietro is in the legacy deck. Because it costs 2CMC more, it won't be in play when your opponent's Hostage Taker comes down in the mirror

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Tainen posted:

I hope you guys got your Hostage Takers when it was on preorder for $4 because it is up to $18 right now.

I opened two in my prize packs and was like well a $1 card for some EDH decks, cool. Now I'm not sure what's happening, because things I like are so very rarely things that standard players like.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

First Standard tournament price spikes are hilarious.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Lmao@ Pirate Stompy

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's so obvious in those comments which idiots actually bought brigands.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Popeye's a sailor not a pirate anyway!

VVV That is Bob's entire MO. He did it with Breach and other poo poo. He for sure did that.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 2, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The real master stroke would be that if Bob & friends stocked up on all the cards and were selling them to the people speculating / buying out

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Popeye's a sailor not a pirate anyway!

That's what I said on Twitch last night but people argued with me!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What blows me way is that for that kind of thing to work all of those people would have to look at a 5 drop that can't win the game on it's own and go "hmm this is legacy playable yes"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Probably didn't even read past the part that said "pirate" and the graph that was going up up up!

FYI if you're waiting on a response from MTGO:

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/914927970648825858

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi friends!

I haven't played since ~2000, and sold the cards I collected from about '94 to then. Looking at the prices for the power 9 and duals and poo poo I sold now makes me contemplate becoming a hoarder because You Never Know. :smith:

I have come back in part because I picked up a couple welcome decks on a nostalgic lark (clever move putting the ever iconic Shivan in the red one) to play with my 7-year-old. My daughter is loving it and just wants to play round after round. My plan is just to do kitchen table and drafts and never buy a single. :v:

This was a fun set to come back to. The tribal themes are all cool and it's surprising that dinosaurs are just now becoming a big creature type. Played the prerelease and built Dinos, and went to a draft and whipped up B/U pirates when my first pull was a hostage taker. Actually won a match against someone who'd drafted a B/W Vampire Factory with Revel In Riches when I created a board state that any attack he made risked handing me the plunder I needed to win.

I feel like when I left removal/bounce/direct damage/board clearing/permission was so cheap and ubiquitous it kind of hurt the game. Like as I remember it the state of the metagame (granted I was a Type 1 player) was such that you only bothered with creatures for some utility, never, ever to stick around and deal damage . IIRC my last Type 1 deck had 5 creatures: 4 birds of paradise and a Palinchron to generate an arbitrary amount of mana to make my opponent draw an arbitrary number of cards or take that much damage.

Now it feels more tactical and I guess... grounded? like it's an investment to kill a man's monsters and you can actually play creatures and stuff; like there's always a trade off or drawback to consider instead of everything being all upside all the time.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Hi friends!

I haven't played since ~2000, and sold the cards I collected from about '94 to then. Looking at the prices for the power 9 and duals and poo poo I sold now makes me contemplate becoming a hoarder because You Never Know. :smith:

I have come back in part because I picked up a couple welcome decks on a nostalgic lark (clever move putting the ever iconic Shivan in the red one) to play with my 7-year-old. My daughter is loving it and just wants to play round after round. My plan is just to do kitchen table and drafts and never buy a single. :v:

This was a fun set to come back to. The tribal themes are all cool and it's surprising that dinosaurs are just now becoming a big creature type. Played the prerelease and built Dinos, and went to a draft and whipped up B/U pirates when my first pull was a hostage taker. Actually won a match against someone who'd drafted a B/W Vampire Factory with Revel In Riches when I created a board state that any attack he made risked handing me the plunder I needed to win.

I feel like when I left removal/bounce/direct damage/board clearing/permission was so cheap and ubiquitous it kind of hurt the game. Like as I remember it the state of the metagame (granted I was a Type 1 player) was such that you only bothered with creatures for some utility, never, ever to stick around and deal damage . IIRC my last Type 1 deck had 5 creatures: 4 birds of paradise and a Palinchron to generate an arbitrary amount of mana to make my opponent draw an arbitrary number of cards or take that much damage.

Now it feels more tactical and I guess... grounded? like it's an investment to kill a man's monsters and you can actually play creatures and stuff; like there's always a trade off or drawback to consider instead of everything being all upside all the time.

Welcome back!

Creatures have gotten better, but the gold standard is still getting value when it enters the battlefield. You can still mostly play draw-go (approach of the second sun is the big standard deck for this) but emphasis has certainly switched more to tempo and midrange

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
PleasantKenobi is streaming the pirates deck for laughs, currently 3-1 and up a game against Julian23, one of the originators of the joke. Julian had to rec sage a galleon and still lost lol

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Carnage Tyrant is a powerful card because it can chump block Longtusk Cub without being hit by removal.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

Carnage Tyrant is a powerful card because it can chump block Longtusk Cub without being hit by removal.

Yep, I saw a Carnage Tyrant Chump Block a 10/10 Long Tusk Cub. How's your $30 card working out?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Death to French vanilla

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
No bods, no gods (without cool activated or triggered abilities)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol wait he's done this before???

TheMaestroso posted:

Which card are you talking about? Haunting Echoes, or Eternal Dragon?

Thunder Bluff was a Legacy joke deck that originated on The Source during the mid-2000's (somewhere around 2005-2006 I want to say?), and was extremely similar in that it was a manifestly awful deck that got hyped up by in-the-know regulars who claimed impossible and format warping results (and tried to string the gullible along as far as possible). It was ostensibly based around the ability of of Didgeridoo to cheat Minotaurs into play, and the overwhelming power of "minotaur synergy." It was pretty funny initially and then got quickly driven into the ground.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LGD posted:

Thunder Bluff was a Legacy joke deck that originated on The Source during the mid-2000's (somewhere around 2005-2006 I want to say?), and was extremely similar in that it was a manifestly awful deck that got hyped up by in-the-know regulars who claimed impossible and format warping results (and tried to string the gullible along as far as possible). It was ostensibly based around the ability of of Didgeridoo to cheat Minotaurs into play, and the overwhelming power of "minotaur synergy." It was pretty funny initially and then got quickly driven into the ground.

I think Vanquisher's Banner is gonna bring Minotaurs back, in a very big way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I think Vanquisher's Banner is gonna bring Minotaurs back, in a very big way.

I think Patriarch's Bidding is gonna bring Minotaurs back, in a very big way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PJOmega posted:

I think Patriarch's Bidding is gonna bring Minotaurs back, in a very big way.

God drat ALL my minoaurs go right back into the battlefield? That's worth splashin' black for.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LGD posted:

Minotaur synergy is always really strong in my cube where its the RB archetype.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My Magic buddy at my old job had a Minotaur tribal deck (this was in THS standard, I think THS-KTK?) and I really wanted it to be better than it was. A few Ixalan cards mention a Minotaur planeswalker so that might be a card in the next set, which would be rad.

GoutPatrol posted:

Minotaur synergy is always really strong in my cube where its the RB archetype.

Good man

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LGD posted:

I was playing around then and I'm pretty sure that everyone knew this was a joke

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Did someone say MINOTAUR TRIBAL????

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Did someone say MINOTAUR TRIBAL????

Wow is that the future sight frame????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I still don't think Hostage Taker is that good. The decks that had the most success with it also played 4x Blossoming Defense. That isn't the makings of a card that is going to be very versatile.