Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Manual AA like in Battlestations?

It worked pretty well in Steel Ocean, especially as the decision it made you make was 'Do I try to get rid of these planes attacking me or an ally or do I keep focusing on doing other things'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It can't turn out worse than the manual AAA in Navy Field, wherein you learned the 'golden angle' where your flak shells had maximum hangtime and sprayed planes down as they came in.

And the angle was different nation by nation, caliber by caliber, gun type by gun type.

Or you could just light ships up with your flak cannons and kill all their sailors

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Night10194 posted:

It worked pretty well in Steel Ocean, especially as the decision it made you make was 'Do I try to get rid of these planes attacking me or an ally or do I keep focusing on doing other things'.

I really miss some of the mechanics in Steel Ocean. I still wish you had manual control over secondaries. Also the night game where you illuminate sections of ocean with launched flares was pretty good.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Definately super trendy to hate on Flamu around here. I thought his clan wars video was funny and hopefully it will get a positive reaction from Wargaming, but I doubt it.

The reason why BBs are played more than other ships is because they are the easiest class to play for retards which make up well over half the game population. A retard can't sail around in the open willy-nilly in a Des Moines because he will get deleted but he sure can do it in a Kurfurst. The Conqueror is the most OP ship at any tier in the history of the game (with the possible exception of the Orion) but they still don't do anything.

Hard-caps on ship classes is the very definition of recognizing there is a balance problem but not having a loving clue (or desire) to fix it.

I hope Flamu is wrong about how the Clan Wars will play out though.

ZombieLenin posted:

Right, and the reason CVs haven't been fixed isn't because Wargaming is lazy, but rather because it is a serious undertaking that will take a lot of time and resources.

So Wargaming's choice is to include CVs in clan wars, broken as they are and with very few people actually owning and playing them, or follow Flamu's advice and fix CVs first, which would delay clan wars practically indefinitely.

This is especially the case if Wargaming doesn't also simultaneously shut down new ship line development while they are working on carriers.

People seem to think totally re-designing CVs and re-working the UI and mechanics would be an easy thing to do. It isn't.

I mean, I honestly care zero about clan wars, but from Wargaming's perspective they are an important component of their bottom line as they really do keep people playing and buying things by getting people to build social networks in-game.

If I were in charge over there, that'd be way more important than appeasing whiney Unicom youtubers like Flamu.

This is an insane fan-boi bullshit post. The problems with CVs haven't come out of the woodwork with the last patch, its been TWO+ loving YEARS.

They have had 2 years to improve CVs and failed. They came into 2017 saying it was the year of the CV and failed. They have released 4 premium CVs. Kaga and Saipan are the very definition of OP bullshit P2W which make the Belfast and Kutusov look fair and balanced. The Enterprise I grant them seems well balanced compared to the Shokaku but again highlights how bad the Lexington is which they have failed to correct in 2 years. The Graf Zeppelin was the biggest PR debacle they've had in the game. So all in all, they are either completely incompetent with or liars (I'm thinking the latter). Just look at all these CV posts Sub_Octavian makes on those Reddit Q&As, its total bullshit everytime.

For the record, until CVs change I agree they should be left out. For BBs my quick fix would be to make Conqueror use the 457mm guns and remove the Concealment Mod from all BBs. I think these 2 changes would make a massive benefit to the game.
Edit: The other change I would make straight away is to modify CV/plane spotting so that it shows a target on the minimap but doesn't show it onscreen ie like a cyclone. Also remove perma-spotting of torpedos.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 1, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Those sre some excellent ideas. But I would also remove the concealment mod from CVs and flip how tge mod works vs how CE works. The mod gives 10% to dds and 12% to cruisers, CE is a flat 10%. There are too many must take captain skills in my opinion.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

This is an insane fan-boi bullshit post.

Communists are the insane fanboys of socioeconomic bullshit so he's had lots of practice.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Somebody a few posts ago mentioned that CVs shouldn't be able to spot anything (torps or ships) except with a dedicated spotting plane - the team can only see that there's a ship, but not actually do anything about it. That is a good idea and would greatly improve the current state.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Cippalippus posted:

Somebody a few posts ago mentioned that CVs shouldn't be able to spot anything (torps or ships) except with a dedicated spotting plane - the team can only see that there's a ship, but not actually do anything about it. That is a good idea and would greatly improve the current state.

I would think spotting distance based on squadron strength might be interesting too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MikeC posted:

Because they want to make more money for the least amount of effort. Is that so hard to understand? Put yourself in their shoes. Your game is doing gangbusters and printing money with every premium you release no matter how lovely it is or isn't. They did some half rear end fixes for the CVs at the beginning of the year and then nothing else but people still buy the Kaga and the Enterprise and buy up premium time and other micro transactions in the game like no tomorrow.

What incentive is there for them to put any effort into making the game better for "competitive play"? I mean you haven't quit the game have you? We still have goons here who would gladly hand over 40+ USD on virtual boats despite the fact that balance is shoddy as gently caress. So I ask again, what incentive do they have to change?

And what kind of info do you expect them to release. What kind of honest statement do you expect. "Hi guys, our game is a loving mess but you guys are so loving stupid that you keep lapping the lovely content that comes out of our arse so we can't be bothered. We'll just release more premiums and more lines so you feel obligated to spend more money. Thanks for lining our pockets. Warships out"

This is a prime example of laziness too, Zombielenin. It's just just not putting work in, it can be coasting along on what works without addressing the deeper issues. Also, as a gamedev myself, gamedevs can absolutely be lazy in either sense of the word just like everyone else can be.

Also also, if you had to work 16 hour days and got yelled at for taking a day off you were working at a lovely company.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 1, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This is my favorite loving event ever

:homebrew::bisonyes::homebrew:

Making IFHGs

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I wish EU had a credit event :(

Also, reading the WG Q&A thing:

quote:

Q3/7: Ev1n spoke about, that in his opinion the Conquerer is probably in need of a nerf. What was the reasoning behind giving the RN BBs so over the top fire chance and HE Alpha DMG and how/why do you (WG statistics/game balance) think it’ll break any ‘Bow on’ meta
A3/7: I don’t know whether we will have to nerf Conqueror, or other newly introduced ships at this early stage, when the playerbase is not settled. When we have solid data, we may apply some tweaks. The reasoning was that a ship should have a few strengths – and for UK BBs, HE shell is one of them, also fitting to the lore.

loving lol.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

I wish EU had a credit event :(

Hey at least we get the extremely generous mission of grinding out 12k base xp for 10 premium consumables. For the second weekend in a row. :suicide:

Seriously though why is WG EU so loving stingy? I remember it being the same in WoT back when I was playing that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quote:

Q3/7: Ev1n spoke about, that in his opinion the Conquerer is probably in need of a nerf. What was the reasoning behind giving the RN BBs so over the top fire chance and HE Alpha DMG and how/why do you (WG statistics/game balance) think it’ll break any ‘Bow on’ meta

A3/7: I don’t know whether we will have to nerf Conqueror, or other newly introduced ships at this early stage, when the playerbase is not settled. When we have solid data, we may apply some tweaks. The reasoning was that a ship should have a few strengths – and for UK BBs, HE shell is one of them, also fitting to the lore.

Surely giving a battleship immense powers against all other classes and also those of its own class will reduce the bow on meta and also prevent everyone from wanting Conqueror. I mean, nerfing torpedoes certainly reduced the battleship meta too.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

You know your team is poo poo when the enemy MVP is a Mutsuki with four kills in a T5-7 match.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
So I turned off "public" viewing for my stats, not out of some weird misplaced sense of shame for my gaming abilities (:clegg:), but because I just like to screw with stat-checkers and it prevents me from being a focus target for that reason.

However, I would like to show it for the clan to allow for positive feedback and comparison, as there's no reason for me to hide it from goons. Is there a way to do this?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Not to my knowledge. Warships.today used to keep your old statistics up until you hid your account and was by no means recent, but as I understand it the site is dead now and everyone uses wows-numbers, maple, or wowstats these days.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
loving lol, tried to be a good teammate in my Baltimore, communicated with a Z-23 about coordinating a cap push, saying:

1) I will radar when you ask, and focus fire where you ask me

and

2) Don't bail at the first sign of trouble, smoke and we can use your radar/hydro

He goes in, and immediately runs off because a kagero outspotted him and he got scared, claiming it was radar. I radar, scare off the kagero and barely escaped, scolding him about how the enemy only has Japanese DDs so he can outgun and out-cap anyone else but bitched about radar, so I showed where the one radar ship (a Chappy) was.

So we try again, where he immediately bails again and I get wrecked trying to escape by Conqueror HE. Feels loving good, gently caress teamwork.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Blindeye posted:

loving lol, tried to be a good teammate in my Baltimore, communicated with a Z-23 about coordinating a cap push, saying:

1) I will radar when you ask, and focus fire where you ask me

and

2) Don't bail at the first sign of trouble, smoke and we can use your radar/hydro

He goes in, and immediately runs off because a kagero outspotted him and he got scared, claiming it was radar. I radar, scare off the kagero and barely escaped, scolding him about how the enemy only has Japanese DDs so he can outgun and out-cap anyone else but bitched about radar, so I showed where the one radar ship (a Chappy) was.

So we try again, where he immediately bails again and I get wrecked trying to escape by Conqueror HE. Feels loving good, gently caress teamwork.

I'm not sure what you expected. This has occurred every single time I ask a pubbie to do something that stakes my own well being in the mixture.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Oh, a French BB line is coming. I hope they have a special power of being able to be Teamkilled for no penalty.

I kid, I am excited for them as they had some cool designs.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Sometimes the matchmaking really wants to get all the BB's out of the queue.

Props to our midway who sailed with me into a point and broke up their hakuryu's strikes with Def AA.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, a French BB line is coming. I hope they have a special power of being able to be Teamkilled for no penalty.

I kid, I am excited for them as they had some cool designs.

Oh wow! Source?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Can tell you now, the tier 9 will be armed with 3x3 16" guns, and I haven't seen a single leak!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a radical idea for a new BB line, make them AP focused.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't think that'll work without a consumable gimmick.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

As long as that shell only fuses inside a BB that would be ok. Overpenning cruisers and DDs (for reduced damage) would be fine by me.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No the gimmick should be half second fuses

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Definately super trendy to hate on Flamu around here. I thought his clan wars video was funny and hopefully it will get a positive reaction from Wargaming, but I doubt it.

The reason why BBs are played more than other ships is because they are the easiest class to play for retards which make up well over half the game population. A retard can't sail around in the open willy-nilly in a Des Moines because he will get deleted but he sure can do it in a Kurfurst. The Conqueror is the most OP ship at any tier in the history of the game (with the possible exception of the Orion) but they still don't do anything.

Hard-caps on ship classes is the very definition of recognizing there is a balance problem but not having a loving clue (or desire) to fix it.

I hope Flamu is wrong about how the Clan Wars will play out though.

This is an insane fan-boi bullshit post. The problems with CVs haven't come out of the woodwork with the last patch, its been TWO+ loving YEARS.

They have had 2 years to improve CVs and failed. They came into 2017 saying it was the year of the CV and failed. They have released 4 premium CVs. Kaga and Saipan are the very definition of OP bullshit P2W which make the Belfast and Kutusov look fair and balanced. The Enterprise I grant them seems well balanced compared to the Shokaku but again highlights how bad the Lexington is which they have failed to correct in 2 years. The Graf Zeppelin was the biggest PR debacle they've had in the game. So all in all, they are either completely incompetent with or liars (I'm thinking the latter). Just look at all these CV posts Sub_Octavian makes on those Reddit Q&As, its total bullshit everytime.

For the record, until CVs change I agree they should be left out. For BBs my quick fix would be to make Conqueror use the 457mm guns and remove the Concealment Mod from all BBs. I think these 2 changes would make a massive benefit to the game.
Edit: The other change I would make straight away is to modify CV/plane spotting so that it shows a target on the minimap but doesn't show it onscreen ie like a cyclone. Also remove perma-spotting of torpedos.

First of all learn to read. Second of all you're just wrong about all of it.

Yes the CV problems have been around for "two loving years." My whole loving point actually. They have been around that long because fixing CVs will be a hard thing to do, because they don't know how to do it, which means your talking thousands of hours of redesign work.

Which is totally fine if you want Wargaming to shut down other things that require thousands of hours of design work, like new ship lines, or even the clan system you're bitching so hard about.

Secondly, I already said (learn to loving read) that game mechanics, or in your words "they're easy for retards to play" (you're a pleasant human being, I can tell...) are part of why people play Battleships.

My point is this. If you make Battleships poo poo compared to every other ship class people will still overplay them.

Why? Because even a retard understands that most people know about Bismarck, Tirpitz, Hood, Iowa, etc. These are iconic loving ships... a whole shitload are museum ships people have visited.

Most regular non-grogs have no loving clue Atlanta was a ship that existed. The could care less about the Myoko, in fact they can probably only name one ship from the IJN and that's the Yamato with her super guns.

Some people know about Prinz Eugen, which is why she sells well when available, because she was with Bismarck at Denmark straight.

News flash too, they care even less about destroyers because they've never heard of any of them.

Finally, the last loving thing I am is a fanboi of anything. Sorry if you, like Flamu, operate in some dreamland about how easy it would be to just fix everything in two weeks if only you were in charge, because you have absolutely no idea what goes into making something as complex as an MMOG.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ZombieLenin posted:

My point is this. If you make Battleships poo poo compared to every other ship class people will still overplay them.

So if people will play BBs anyway why do they need to be the most powerful class?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Yeah I'd rather have balance before clan wars idk but maybe fixing your busted rear end game should be a priority if you want it to have a long lifespan instead of constantly adding halfassed poo poo for a quick buck

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

Finally, the last loving thing I am is a fanboi of anything. Sorry if you, like Flamu, operate in some dreamland about how easy it would be to just fix everything in two weeks if only you were in charge, because you have absolutely no idea what goes into making something as complex as an MMOG.

Outside of your slightly anger induced rage post I have to agree with the above.

This tends to be the response of backseat game devs. CVs have been forever broken and the game would lose absolutely NOTHING if they were just removed, which would also be the best solution :).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Lmao that would be a shitstorm.

How are they different than arty in wot? I always figured that was the point of cv

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No the gimmick should be half second fuses

The gimmick should be random misfires of your guns causing a citadel on yourself and blowing a turret clean off.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How are they different than arty in wot? I always figured that was the point of cv

Artillery in WoT required a couple of things. You had to have some semblance of map knowledge to know where to aim ahead of time, where to position yourself for the best firing angles, and where your shells wouldn't be blocked by terrain. You had to pick and choose your targets somewhat carefully, because of your incredibly slow rate of fire. Because of your inaccuracy and the long time it took to aim shells, you had to make risk-reward choices, etc.

You also had basically no armor and no health, and often no mobility. Getting spotted meant being a priority target for everyone. You would typically die in any close combat situation unless you were ambushing someone.

All that said, artillery also required your team to spot for you. It wasn't often you'd land BIG HITS, so you'd maybe blow the tracks off a scout that was being problematic so your team might kill it, finish off problem vehicles, force people to move by harassing them, splash clusters of vehicles, etc.

The damage potential of CVs is much, much higher, and it isn't like you can use map knowledge to guess where they are and hide. They scout for themselves. Their potential damage per-sortie is VASTLY higher than artillery in WoT was. Planes can only really be countered by other planes- RIP if your carrier is a WARBEASTY.

In WoT terms it would be more akin to a tank destroyer with an omni-directional gun that could scout for itself and had map-wide range.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

They're the same unfun mechanic :(, but artillery had more counter play than LOL AA RNG or some DD getting lucky 10+ minutes into a game.

It would be such a tiny percentage of the playerbase that I don't think it would mater all that if they got rid of CVs.

Estimate of the playerbase split, CV player % is probably actually a basis point or two lower.

code:

CV	6%
BB	31%
CA/CL	37%
DD	26%

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

First of all learn to read. Second of all your just wrong about all of it.

Yes the CV problems have been around for "two loving years." My whole loving point actually. They have been around that long because fixing CVs will be a hard thing to do, because they don't know how to do it, which means your talking thousands of hours of redesign work.

Which is totally loving fine if you want Wargaming to shut down other things that require thousands of hours of design work, like new ship lines, or even the clan system your bitching so hard about.

Secondly, I already said (learn to loving read) that game mechanics, or in your words "they're easy for retards to play" (you're a pleasant human being, I can tell...) is part of why people play Battleships.

Why? Because even a retard understands that most people know about Bismarck, Tirpitz, Hood, Iowa, etc. These are iconic loving ships... a whole shitload are museum ships people have visited.

Most regular non-grogs have no loving clue Atlanta was a ship that existed. The could care less about the Myoko, in fact they can probably only name one ship from the IJN and that's the Yamato with her super guns.

Some people know about Prinz Eugen, which is why she sells well when available, because she was with Bismarck at Denmark straight.

News flash too, they care even less about destroyers because they've never heard of any of them.

This is so hilariously stupid it's amazing. WG has proven time and again to be incredibly lovely and lazy developers, but no, clearly two years just haven't been enough time to even start incrementally testing and/or implementing CV changes. I mean, this is a company that took loving months to fix a goddamn spreadsheet error (Iowa's superstructure HP at launch), and vastly prefers sledgehammer nerfs that entirely wreck ships (which may or may not be actually overpowered, but rather just whined about by idiots - hi Shiratsuyu) instead of actual competent incremental tested changes. Not even getting into how it's pretty easy to infer that none of the devs actually give a poo poo about CVs, or how they play, given how none of them play them on their public accounts. Oh, and garbage like the Conqueror, where even looking at bullet points of its advantages vs. disadvantages on a design document should have shown what a piece of overpowered bullshit it was. Or how the GZ was released with a loving 9 SECOND DELAY from time of release until hit when trying to manually drop their bombs, and WG's initial response was "Well, Git Gud, lol."

Then again, you also just strawmanned that people here are saying battleships should be poo poo (which no one has) in order to claim that it's perfectly alright that battleships currently dominate everything, plus them being known. That was your entire loving argument. No, let's not consider actual proper game design in a game with 4 "classes," let's just claim it's perfectly alright for battleships to dominate everything so that they're easy for dumbasses to play. And the actual easy fix for the problem is to actually put in a proper tutorial for all the classes, and then just ignore the braindead shits who still refuse to even attempt to modify their playstyle.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Even the 9s delay wasn't the worst thing about the GZ, it was the fact there was no UI indication about what was going on at all. Your planes have flown off and no damage has occurred and you're like "WTF is happening?" then if you aimed right maybe the target explodes. Having no loving UI for an entirely new mechanic was the real stupid and lazy there. That said, it was a bad idea done badly.

Cippalippus posted:

Oh wow! Source?

There was a "leak" at some French event, but it's up on their FB blog thing now too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/73ts6i/new_pictures_of_french_bbs/

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZombieLenin posted:

Which is totally fine if you want Wargaming to shut down other things that require thousands of hours of design work, like new ship lines, or even the clan system you're bitching so hard about.

Let's not pretend that this hard-working company has been hard at work on fixing the game since launch. They pushed it out of beta in an unfinished state and have been half-heartedly supporting it ever since. Their business model is to milk whales of every last cent, and they have discovered to their delight that they don't really need a well-balanced game to do so. Bully for them. I quit a year ago, and only drop in to see if they've fixed poo poo yet (spoilers: it's always "no").

quote:

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder, though. Your points about game development being a vicious, unending grind are fair, but misplaced. I don't blame the programmers or even the game designers for poo poo being completely broke. From the beginning, this game was outsourced to an affiliate. Wargaming has long declined to support the title outside of new ships to generate revenue. Supporting and fixing the game is clearly at the bottom of their list of priorities.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

a well-balanced game to do so. Bully for them. I quit a year ago, and only drop in to see if they've fixed poo poo yet (spoilers: it's always "no").

Seems pretty well balanced from here. Good balance doesn't have to be perfect either.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Where is "here"? Because it's pretty well-balanced at the lower tiers and a complete clusterfuck past tier 7 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

Where is "here"? Because it's pretty well-balanced at the lower tiers and a complete clusterfuck past tier 7 or so.

Probably has more to do with the match maker than actual ship balance. Player stats across ships and tiers are pretty drat tight with only a few outliers.