Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

too much head

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, in Italy:

Sebastian Vettel posted:

"I think we have it under control. Obviously this weekend we did not. It's a shame that both of us compromised our weekend. I don't know if it was the same issue, we need to have look. But for sure it's not ideal if you retire one car [on Saturday] and one [before the race], so it's something we need to obviously understand.

"So far we had a pretty good record this year for reliability. For sure you're always on the edge, but if you speak to other people it's the same. So not too worried to be honest, but we need to get on top of the problems that we have."

And I'm the queen of france! :sparkles:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I still believe in Sebastian Vettel and the glorious Scuderia Ferrari to win the WDC

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

I still believe in Sebastian Vettel and the glorious Scuderia Ferrari to win the WDC

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny enough, if Seb wins every remaining race with Lewis taking 2nd, Seb will win by a point.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ferrari, against all probability, have the car to win the WDC.

What they lack are the strategists, mechanics, drivers, management and fans.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He needs Lewis to DNF or hit one of his lovely runs of form where he's nowhere for two to three consecutive races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

track day bro! posted:

Agreed OP I think Hamilton will DNF in every remaining race because he is such a bad race car driver.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Pfft, who needs any of that very unimportant poo poo? It's like Enzo always used to say, whack a gently caress off engine in it and it'll win. Job jobbed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Pfft, who needs any of that very unimportant poo poo? It's like Enzo always used to say, whack a gently caress off engine in it and it'll win. Job jobbed.

Funny, then, how much they hosed up the most engine-dominant formula in years.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Funny, then, how much they hosed up the most engine-dominant formula in years.

They had the morality to not use a cheating, oil-burning defeat device to circumvent the rules and paid a price for their honesty. It's sad that top tier competition is marred by such unsportsmanlike conduct tbh.

http://autosport.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0321b24d9cbbd1e265203b136&id=ff4e02b3a1&e=6566931791

Vote for Vettel.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the 70s was the last time Ferrari had the outright best engine in the field, maybe some of the Schumi years and the early part of '85.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I think the 70s was the last time Ferrari had the outright best engine in the field, maybe some of the Schumi years and the early part of '85.

Any time they had a V12 in, they had the best engine in a sense. It was just rarely in the sense of performance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

They had the morality to not use a cheating, oil-burning defeat device to circumvent the rules and paid a price for their honesty. It's sad that top tier competition is marred by such unsportsmanlike conduct tbh.

http://autosport.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0321b24d9cbbd1e265203b136&id=ff4e02b3a1&e=6566931791

Vote for Vettel.

Ah yes, the Ferrari Way (TM). If your opponent is doing something better than you, whine until the rules change to make them weaker. Never fails.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

Ah yes, the Ferrari Way (TM). If your opponent is doing something better than you, whine until the rules change to make them weaker. Never fails.

I get the feeling you've never been exposed to the world of Serie A football. And let's be clear, that religion is definitely above Ferrari and Catholicism in Italy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It was completely retarded that under an engine formula designed to be greener and more positive to the environment there existed a loophole where we burned oil like some 1970s Trabant, if F1 was interesting enough for anybody to even care that would've been a really bad headline.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

It was completely retarded that under an engine formula designed to be greener and more positive to the environment there existed a loophole where we burned oil like some 1970s Trabant, if F1 was interesting enough for anybody to even care that would've been a really bad headline.

At least the Trabbie was more characterful and storied.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really researched buying a Trabbie as a winter beater for a while and the lovely heater was the main breaking point for me, if those puppies were water cooled I probably would've pulled the trigger on one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I honestly think they marketed the hybrids wrong. An advantage of hybrids, especially in racing, is you get insane acceleration out of them. While Joe Schmoe on the street sees them as "They use less fuel, and they're for HIPPIES," we're now, finally, seeing outright lap records on tracks (mind you with DRS help, but that's besides the point). If F1 was smart, they could have marketed it as "These cars accelerate faster than ever!" or some bullshit.

It's a similar problem that E85 ran into in the States. Marketed as a way for the average consumer to save money... turns out it really doesn't work that well on the mileage front, but good gods can you get some serious power out of it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Done OP.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Il leone is still a solid vote

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

NtotheTC posted:

They've pretty much thrown it away. They had some great opportunities, and could have taken it for sure, but there's no way Seb will be able to win every remaining race. Basically a classic Ferrari dumpster fire fuckup situation. Way to go, Maranello!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Theophany posted:

Vote for Vettel.

My response was very important to them so I voted for are Nige 10 times.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

I honestly think they marketed the hybrids wrong. An advantage of hybrids, especially in racing, is you get insane acceleration out of them. While Joe Schmoe on the street sees them as "They use less fuel, and they're for HIPPIES," we're now, finally, seeing outright lap records on tracks (mind you with DRS help, but that's besides the point). If F1 was smart, they could have marketed it as "These cars accelerate faster than ever!" or some bullshit.

It's a similar problem that E85 ran into in the States. Marketed as a way for the average consumer to save money... turns out it really doesn't work that well on the mileage front, but good gods can you get some serious power out of it.

I think that's more aero than hybrid power. We had a season of KERS and unrestricted DRS use for qualifying laps in the V8 era and they were nowhere near today's lap times.

The problem is aero gives us insane one lap pace in a quali session, but it hampers overtaking during a race situation.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Theophany posted:

Vote for Vettel.

Voted for the only one faster than The Stig

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

I think that's more aero than hybrid power. We had a season of KERS and unrestricted DRS use for qualifying laps in the V8 era and they were nowhere near today's lap times.

The problem is aero gives us insane one lap pace in a quali session, but it hampers overtaking during a race situation.

Fair points. I think what should be done to improve the racing itself is either A. bringing back ground effects to try to clean up the air behind the cars a bit, or B. increasing the differential between the speed going into the braking zone and the actual corner speed.

I say part of the problem is right now is F1 has painted itself into a corner regarding faster lap times, because most fans expect faster and faster lap times each formula change. Going slower is bad no matter why it's happening.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

The thing is they've basically hosed over the next rule change by going so much faster. I can virtually guarantee the 2nd and 3rd fastest teams will bitch that the racing has been ruined in 2021 or whenever cause the cars will need to be 4-5 seconds a lap slower.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fernando Alonso is on that list so I'm not sure why people are suggesting alternatives

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

The thing is they've basically hosed over the next rule change by going so much faster. I can virtually guarantee the 2nd and 3rd fastest teams will bitch that the racing has been ruined in 2021 or whenever cause the cars will need to be 4-5 seconds a lap slower.

just bolt the current electric poo poo to a V12

job done

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

E85 is insane. With my friends Evo 8 he's doing like 500 wheel on 93 octane, but if you fill that thing up with E85, poo poo we're talking 700 wheel. The magic of Corn.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Fernando Alonso is on that list so I'm not sure why people are suggesting alternatives

If you voted for anyone but Nando, gtfo this thread.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

Fair points. I think what should be done to improve the racing itself is either A. bringing back ground effects to try to clean up the air behind the cars a bit, or B. increasing the differential between the speed going into the braking zone and the actual corner speed.

I say part of the problem is right now is F1 has painted itself into a corner regarding faster lap times, because most fans expect faster and faster lap times each formula change. Going slower is bad no matter why it's happening.

Ground effect is a fascinating concept, but when it goes wrong it does so horrifically so I don't see that coming back.

I agree they've put themselves into a corner and I think F1 needs to distance itself and back track from outright lap times and focus on driver skill - for me that's where you have a situation where mechanical grip is king. It'll never happen, but we can dream, I guess!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Ground effect is a fascinating concept, but when it goes wrong it does so horrifically so I don't see that coming back.

I agree they've put themselves into a corner and I think F1 needs to distance itself and back track from outright lap times and focus on driver skill - for me that's where you have a situation where mechanical grip is king. It'll never happen, but we can dream, I guess!

I've long sad that they need to pull back aero even if that means losing as much as 10 seconds a lap. There's no relevance to the complicated aero poo poo we see in F1 anywhere outside of it. I'd rather they spend that cash developing insane suspension systems or weird split turbo poo poo like on the Merc where it has real world application.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Real world applications are dumb

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
As much as it pains me to agree with him, Christian Horner was right when he said F1 has little more than a passing resemblance to road car development these days.

It pains me even more to point out Hamilton was absolutely spot on last year when he said that taking F1 in an aero-driven direction was wrong and it should go back to mechanical grip and slippery cars.

I know I'm a broken rear end record and should stfu and quit banging this drum, but Jesus Christ it's not that hard to a) cut costs in F1 and b) make the racing more frenetic and - what a surprise - the two things are linked. You want a new front with 80 separate elements at a cost of $300,000? No chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“1500quidporsche”" post="“476987983”"]
I’ve long sad that they need to pull back aero even if that means losing as much as 10 seconds a lap. There’s no relevance to the complicated aero poo poo we see in F1 anywhere outside of it. I’d rather they spend that cash developing insane suspension systems or weird split turbo poo poo like on the Merc where it has real world application.
[/quote]

This is a GoodPost(R).

• Locked thread