Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dross posted:

So in this thread you've directly stated that a) feminism is good, and b) TERFism is the logical conclusion of feminism, and implied that c) transphobia is bad. Pick just one stupid opinion to have, don't try to have them all or you just end up with dissonance.

Are you saying "transphobia is bad" is a stupid opinion? Hmmm.

Anyway, those three opinions make perfect sense. Feminism is good, but the sort of lovely lazy dumbass "feminism" you see expressed in most places and by most people (who consider themselves feminist) does indeed lead itself to classism and other poo poo such as transphobia. I honestly dont think most people give a gently caress about human rights and all that, they only care about their "side" and making sure they don't lose. But this is an unpopular opinion thread not a political thread.

Another unpopular opinion: McDonalds is pretty good. I like their burgers and their milkshakes.

edited to add:

Just saw the cosmetic surgery discussion. I am 100% on team Pro-Cosmetic Surgery. God, the world would be so much better if we were all hot and gorgeous. Why shouldn't we be, if we could attain it? Who the gently caress wants to go through life being ugly, unless they HAD to? No one. Beauty and looks matter and its actually kind of lovely to lie to people and say that physical appearance and attractiveness is a non-issue. As a trans person I know this.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
School is cool.

Blue Star posted:

Are you saying "transphobia is bad" is a stupid opinion? Hmmm.

Just saw the cosmetic surgery discussion. I am 100% on team Pro-Cosmetic Surgery. God, the world would be so much better if we were all hot and gorgeous. Why shouldn't we be, if we could attain it? Who the gently caress wants to go through life being ugly, unless they HAD to? No one. Beauty and looks matter and its actually kind of lovely to lie to people and say that physical appearance and attractiveness is a non-issue. As a trans person I know this.

Ignorant mostly normie here. I think this brings up questions as to the ability of cosmetic surgeons to get the desired result and the subjectivity of beauty. Plastic surgery has never looked convincing to me, but maybe I haven't seen the best work. On the other hand, the idea that anyone would try so hard to be beautiful that they'd be willing to mutilate themselves is to me inherently ugly. And also beautiful, but in a tragic way. And all that probably sounds a bit demeaning, but it's kind of just my perspective and I'm sure other people are perfectly justified by any combination of sentimental life circumstances to feel differently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you've seen any Korean movies or K pop videos all the women have plastic surgery

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

If you've seen any Korean movies or K pop videos all the women have plastic surgery

Well gently caress me, I love Korean movies.... Is this just an unpopular opinion?

The first volume of Don Quijote is mostly just aimless bullshit and Cervantes clearly had no idea what he was doing besides poking fun at chivalric romance and yet it's still a classic because he had the balls to do it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

It wasn't necesarily less dumb in the 1800s when then it was like
Party A: We Support this solution
Party B: We are essentially on board but WE WILL loving MURDER YOU BECAUSE ITS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WE WANT *Old men beat each other with canes*

Presidential election of 1860.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With the prevalence of plastic surgery in east asia it means that's it's not necessarily racist to think all asians look the same. I'm Asian and when i see those large manufactured girl groups from japan they literally do look exactly the same.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Packyy posted:

Plastic surgery has never looked convincing to me, but maybe I haven't seen the best work.
Cosmetic surgery is like autotune and HDR photography, in that when it's done right you don't notice it. You only notice it when it's done poorly or too much.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Packyy posted:

School is cool.

Ignorant mostly normie here. I think this brings up questions as to the ability of cosmetic surgeons to get the desired result and the subjectivity of beauty. Plastic surgery has never looked convincing to me, but maybe I haven't seen the best work. On the other hand, the idea that anyone would try so hard to be beautiful that they'd be willing to mutilate themselves is to me inherently ugly. And also beautiful, but in a tragic way. And all that probably sounds a bit demeaning, but it's kind of just my perspective and I'm sure other people are perfectly justified by any combination of sentimental life circumstances to feel differently.

privilege.txt

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We are under no obligation to find one another attractive and none of us is entitled to be considered attractive.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

We are under no obligation to find one another attractive and none of us is entitled to be considered attractive.

Its also not rude to point this out.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jastiger posted:

Its also not rude to point this out.

I don't really get either of these statements. Could you give concrete examples of when you feel as if there are expectations towards you finding someone attractive, and why you'd need to point out to someone that you don't find them attractive?

It is not that I necessarily disagree, but I'm not really seeing what kind of concrete real-life scenario is the background.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't really get either of these statements. Could you give concrete examples of when you feel as if there are expectations towards you finding someone attractive, and why you'd need to point out to someone that you don't find them attractive?

It is not that I necessarily disagree, but I'm not really seeing what kind of concrete real-life scenario is the background.

"Hey, you look really nice!" Isnt an offensive statement all the time. Many people think it is for some reason.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Welcome to 2017 where people are personally offended by everything

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

"Hey, you look really nice!" Isnt an offensive statement all the time. Many people think it is for some reason.

I've literally never heard someone be offended by that statement, but also it sounds like the opposite of what you were suggesting before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

It's more of a notional thing than any scenario where you'd straight-up tell someone they aren't attractive; I wouldn't do that and I wouldn't want anyone to do it to me. I am mainly thinking of the incel people etc. who'd fall into the "I'm entitled to it" category.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've literally never heard someone be offended by that statement, but also it sounds like the opposite of what you were suggesting before.

Go up to someone and tell them they look very pretty/handsome and you'll find someone who will be offended by it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Go up to someone and tell them they look very pretty/handsome and you'll find someone who will be offended by it.

Maybe the problem is that you do this to random strangers?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
He might be uggo. Non-uggos hate it when uggos approach and complement us.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe the problem is that you do this to random strangers?

Nah not at all. Its a culture thing in the US, you just don't comment on appearances, so a lot of people get offended by even mentioning it unless there are certain factors involved.

Aramek posted:

He might be uggo. Non-uggos hate it when uggos approach and complement us.

This is unironically, a huge factor. Which sucks, and is a real thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's because in almost all cases (at least in the case of a man complimenting a woman) it's not just an offhand compliment and most people read it as a veiled lead-in to "please have sex with me".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe you guys are just creepy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's highly likely. Most people are creepy. They are short, ugly, old, poor, fat, etc.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

That's highly likely. Most people are creepy. They are short, ugly, old, poor, fat, etc.

When I was in retail (and even in my current job) there was a never ending supply of old ugly men who would complain about how pretty young women never have the time for them or respond negatively to them and I always wanted to be like "dude you're a horrid gnome and I bet you'd have reacted the same way to some gross old woman obviously hitting on you when you were younger or hell probably even now." Some people are just totally blind to anything but their desires

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure physical appearances aren't too off putting if you've got charm, patience, tact and if you are observant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

this but unironically

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phrenology bullshit that everyone thinks is profound. Its not. Attractiveness doesnt work that way. Yeah maybe if you're a jerkface it might affect your expressions so you look angry and mean or depressed all the time, but it wont literally alter your facial bone structure or anything.

Of course i speak entirely from a trans perspective, as i am sure it is different if you are cis. But i am strictly in the camp of "Looks Matter; despite everything we're told as kids, people DO give a poo poo about physical appearance well beyond the level of basic grooming and 'presentableness' ". But hey, maybe this children's book is actually true for cis dudes, I dunno. If your only problem is that you're kinda short or balding or have big nose or combination of these, maybe you wont have too much issues. :shrug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

Phrenology bullshit that everyone thinks is profound. Its not. Attractiveness doesnt work that way. Yeah maybe if you're a jerkface it might affect your expressions so you look angry and mean or depressed all the time, but it wont literally alter your facial bone structure or anything.

Of course i speak entirely from a trans perspective, as i am sure it is different if you are cis. But i am strictly in the camp of "Looks Matter; despite everything we're told as kids, people DO give a poo poo about physical appearance well beyond the level of basic grooming and 'presentableness' ". But hey, maybe this children's book is actually true for cis dudes, I dunno. If your only problem is that you're kinda short or balding or have big nose or combination of these, maybe you wont have too much issues. :shrug:

If Sarah Jessica Parker can make it as an actress then bone structure is no longer an excuse for anything.

EDIT: and yes I realize SJP jokes are old hat, I'm not trying to make fun of her. My whole point is that she's objectively a lot worse off than a lot of average schlubs but managed to get to where she is on the force of people skills, self care, and personal styling. And she's an extreme case, but not really an outlier--there are tons of successful celebrities (male and female) that are fundamentally just weird and dumb looking. Appearance is hugely important but it's less about intrinsic physical features and more about how you project yourself.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Oct 2, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

If Sarah Jessica Parker can make it as an actress then bone structure is no longer an excuse for anything.

EDIT: and yes I realize SJP jokes are old hat, I'm not trying to make fun of her. My whole point is that she's objectively a lot worse off than a lot of average schlubs but managed to get to where she is on the force of people skills, self care, and personal styling. And she's an extreme case, but not really an outlier--there are tons of successful celebrities (male and female) that are fundamentally just weird and dumb looking. Appearance is hugely important but it's less about intrinsic physical features and more about how you project yourself.

Sarah Jessica Parker looks good. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That picture is from a children's book.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Star posted:

Neigh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no such thing as "objectively good-looking". Sarah Jessica Parker is just as much proof of that as Humphrey Bogart.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no such thing as "objectively good-looking". Sarah Jessica Parker is just as much proof of that as Humphrey Bogart.

Having facial features that are as symmetrical as possible is objectively good looking according to pop science articles that seem to have generally acceptable sources but that's about it as much as I can tell

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Having facial features that are as symmetrical as possible is objectively good looking according to pop science articles that seem to have generally acceptable sources but that's about it as much as I can tell

SJP has symmetrical features so... checks out I guess?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

SJP has symmetrical features so... checks out I guess?

I think the effect is somewhat nullified when you look like concept art for a female ringwraith

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

That picture is from a children's book.

It is.

I thought it would be funny. :shrug:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

female ringwraith

Ah, that'll replace the alt-mermaid in my fantasies.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

studies do show that the kind of symmetrical, unexaggerated features you get from averaging many faces together has the greatest mass appeal and produces faces many other people consistently rate well; individual people can, and usually do, have personal preferences tho and might personally prefer faces with stronger, exaggerated features over the pleasant/attractive but kind of generic-looking averaged faces given a choice between the two

imho studies like that are weird because they have to model all the individual preferences that come from all the unique individuals from inside a study group as coming from a single abstract population so you necessarily average out all the weird things individuals are attracted to and so you only discover that populations prefer inoffensive faces and nothing else - that's a strange finding remembering that all the individuals who make up that population still have weird preferences that are an important part of who they actually find attractive; you'd get the impression that a gaunt-looking man with high-cheek bones and a big nose isn't conventionally attractive and so nobody would want that but in reality enough people prefer that specific thing that he might have no issues with his looks, same goes for people like SJP who get too much flak from certain people being rudely vocal about their own tastes imuo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

Sure, which is 100% a reflection of her attitude and personality and not her godawful bone structure and generally unfortunate features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is.

I thought it would be funny. :shrug:

More a response to Stars demented ramblings about it.