Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

out of curiosity, can you just plug two computers together with usb-C and have them share files? like, all my shared folders just pop up on the other person's computer like plugging in a USB drive?

cause that would be a genuinely good feature so i can't imagine any company today, including apple and microsoft, ever implementing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boiled Water posted:

lo designed by committee , a committee of people who think android is the best thing since sliced bread. God drat those things are terrible.

Actual question: Why does USB type B even exist? I mean beyond being bad at everything.

so dipshits don't take a double-ended A cable and plug it in to two host computers shorting out the power busses and breaking hardware

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

USB is explicitly designed to only support one host device, cannot do a P2P link like you are describing without a fancy brain in the middle

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/USB-PS2/usb-file-transfer-cable-windows-mac~USB3LINK

firewire, however, was designed for native networking but was too beautiful for this world.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

out of curiosity, can you just plug two computers together with usb-C and have them share files? like, all my shared folders just pop up on the other person's computer like plugging in a USB drive?

cause that would be a genuinely good feature so i can't imagine any company today, including apple and microsoft, ever implementing it

apple implements target disk mode over usb and thunderbolt. so one of the machines can act as a dumb disk but it has to be in EFI.

the problem with "sharing" files is that it basically requires a network file system to maintain coherence. so it's possible in theory if you could route nfs of smb over the link but in reality it takes a lot of driver work to make it happen for literally something you can already do over Ethernet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

theres a dongle for that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

firewire was too fuckin' weird to live because either end could provide power (except if it was the connector type that couldn't) and it could be anywhere from like 5v to 30v and up to 45 watts

ain't nobody dealing with that poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the problem with "sharing" files is that it basically requires a network file system to maintain coherence. so it's possible in theory if you could route nfs of smb over the link but in reality it takes a lot of driver work to make it happen for literally something you can already do over Ethernet.

firewire supported shared disks, but firewire was a point to point link. it was literally a network. it was designed for this kind of weird use case.

usb doesn't work that way.

usb has hosts and targets, and often uses dma between the host and target. you can't have two usb hosts on the same usb topology, so there's no way to have a disk shared between two hosts.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

firewire was too fuckin' weird to live because either end could provide power (except if it was the connector type that couldn't) and it could be anywhere from like 5v to 30v and up to 45 watts

when it first came out the press was like "apple's license fees are hurting adoption" so they dropped the license fees and nobody outside of video people and niche apple-specific accessory companies ever really used it because it's a weird-rear end protocol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

and yet here we are, with usb-c

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

when it first came out the press was like "apple's license fees are hurting adoption" so they dropped the license fees and nobody outside of video people and niche apple-specific accessory companies ever really used it because it's a weird-rear end protocol

a lot of audio equipment used it too and there are still a lot of audio people pissed at apple for dropping support for it since the thunderbolt dongles don't do phantom power

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

have you heard of soacewire? yes, it's what it sounds like

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firewire supported shared disks, but firewire was a point to point link. it was literally a network. it was designed for this kind of weird use case.

there are some Playstation 2 games that allow you to connect several consoles via a Firewire hub, for LAN-style multiplayer. it was marketed under sony's "i.LINK" name and had the weird non-power cables

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

it works over thunderbolt, which automatically shows up as a 10gb adapter

i've never done it but it should even work between a mac a pc with zero config thanks to ipv6

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I mean apple's choices weren't bad and I guess they did the best they could but this dongleverse we're living in kinda loving sucks

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
IP over Thunderbolt is an extremely good way to shuffle files from one computer to another, and is somehow faster than target disk mode on the exact same computers.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
target disk chode

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/992512-REG/optical_cables_aoc_mms4cvp010m20_thunderbolt_optical_cable_32.html

They sell a 200' version too if you need to bury your LaCie RAID array in the back yard for some reason

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

cool but usb-c and lightning are unrelated aside from each being a type of connector

tim pushed lightning because he wanted a dedicated accessories segment for his badphones

they already had a dedicated accessories segment with the 30-pin connector you dumbfuck

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Apple is selling ads themselves in their news app in dedicated native UI elements which is new. Before it was just placeholder elements that were like 'get the most out of apple news' or something. Glad to see them becoming the new Google.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

IP over Thunderbolt is an extremely good way to shuffle files from one computer to another, and is somehow faster than target disk mode on the exact same computers.

the target disk mode device is in EFI and serving a block device. it's very dumb. IP over thunderbolt is talking to the kernel with a mounted file system and file caches and multitasking and dma.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

do you think these morons suddenly grew a brain and figured out how to make a connector that doesn't suck? or did someone hand them a spec and wrote the cable firmware for them and told them "here, make this a standard so that everyone adopts it"?

well they wrote the spec, when is everyone going to adopt it?

Shaggar posted:

tim is waiting for dongle saturation before he switches to usb-c

tim can never achieve dongle saturation, he is insatiable

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doc Block posted:

they already had a dedicated accessories segment with the 30-pin connector you dumbfuck

no, the 30-pin connector was steve's idea

tim had to make waves and create an all new accessory to establish himself as the savvy leader he thinks he is and so he could soak third parties who were trying to carve up his sweet, sweet accessory sales

tim's ideal company is basically monster cable because they don't have to mess around with any of those pesky "phones" or "computers" that actually require vision or leadership to create

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
If the industry would have just adopted lightning we would have never gotten in this mess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

If the industry would have just adopted lightning we would have never gotten in this mess

lightning was never an open standard. the first lightning cables had authentication chips in them before Apple gave up on that.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

emoji posted:

Apple is selling ads themselves in their news app in dedicated native UI elements which is new. Before it was just placeholder elements that were like 'get the most out of apple news' or something. Glad to see them becoming the new Google.

the solution here is to not use the news app specifically designed to give news companies a way to maintain the advertising revenue stream after everyone got a chance to use adblock in safari

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
on one hand, I get that sites are able to keep the "doors open" because of ad revenue

but on the other hand

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i compulsively lol every time i see "weather underground", i find it hilarious that a weather forecast service named themselves after the group who broke timothy leary out of jail and smuggled him to algeria in the early 70s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lysidas posted:

i compulsively lol every time i see "weather underground", i find it hilarious that a weather forecast service named themselves after the group who broke timothy leary out of jail and smuggled him to algeria in the early 70s

weather nerds also managed to steal /r/stormfront from the racists :laugh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

this rules

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

people stole a few others, my other favorite is "Zionistlobby" is now an Israeli architecture subreddit

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ufarn posted:

timb is going to keep the iphone port as long as he can upsell us $30 cables that fray after two months

okay, seriously, what the gently caress do people do to their cables

the only apple cable i've had fall apart on me is a 30-pin from, like, forever ago that i got with a 2nd or 3rd gen ipad and i'm pretty sure that that was because of the cat

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

people stole a few others, my other favorite is "Zionistlobby" is now an Israeli architecture subreddit
lol

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I've been using the same Lightning cable since 2014. I have six more I've never used.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hobbesmaster posted:

[quote="“hobbesmaster”" post="“477016061”"]
people stole a few others, my other favorite is “Zionistlobby” is now an Israeli architecture subreddit
[/quote]

these are both extremely lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hobbesmaster posted:

that's beautiful

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://www.stormfront.co.uk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

that rules

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

okay, seriously, what the gently caress do people do to their cables

the only apple cable i've had fall apart on me is a 30-pin from, like, forever ago that i got with a 2nd or 3rd gen ipad and i'm pretty sure that that was because of the cat

every lightning cable i've ever had frayed within about a year, and both magsafe charge cables. never had anything happen to any other cable, including all manner of USB and power cables for PCs, and micro-USB cables used for charging kindles and an android phone.

im pretty sure its damage that gradually builds up bc apple is allergic to cable stress relief. how do you charge your iphone? i charge mine overnight on a horizontal surface with the lightning cable dangling down towards a power outlet (which is a pretty reasonable thing to do, imo). it also subjects the cable to small amounts of shearing stress which apparently makes apple cables gradually disintegrate

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i've has a single anker iphone cable for 1.5 years now

it's a shame apple hasn't licensed out the magsafe design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
checking in on my touchbar mac

still good