Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I played Clank! for the first time today. I mostly enjoyed it in the way you enjoy deckbuilders in general - your poo poo gets better, you do a combo, etc. Nice lizard brain feels.

I won, but I don't really feel like I earned it. I mean I played fine, but I think at least one other person ran a tighter game than I did, but she died before the turn she'd have gotten out and been able to buy something worth 4 points, and lost by 22 (the 20 bonus + that 4 would have won). And I had more Clank in the bag than anyone else, yet I was the only one who never went above 5 damage.

Since it was my first game I mostly experimented and wanted to see how well the generic "silver" analogues were and loaded up on Mercenaries and Explores. I didn't skim the large single deck at the end but we saw very few monsters so those Mercs were mostly dead weight (I know they help moving through the map without taking damage but those routes were pretty easy to avoid if you want to). Even if there are more monsters and the shuffle was just lovely that just points to the standard Single Deck Problem. And there were definitely a few turns where someone got hosed by revealing a card that helped the next person.

I guess it was about as fun as a fairly random deckbuilder thing can be. Mediocre out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Countblanc posted:

I played Clank! for the first time today. I mostly enjoyed it in the way you enjoy deckbuilders in general - your poo poo gets better, you do a combo, etc. Nice lizard brain feels.

I won, but I don't really feel like I earned it. I mean I played fine, but I think at least one other person ran a tighter game than I did, but she died before the turn she'd have gotten out and been able to buy something worth 4 points, and lost by 22 (the 20 bonus + that 4 would have won). And I had more Clank in the bag than anyone else, yet I was the only one who never went above 5 damage.

Since it was my first game I mostly experimented and wanted to see how well the generic "silver" analogues were and loaded up on Mercenaries and Explores. I didn't skim the large single deck at the end but we saw very few monsters so those Mercs were mostly dead weight (I know they help moving through the map without taking damage but those routes were pretty easy to avoid if you want to). Even if there are more monsters and the shuffle was just lovely that just points to the standard Single Deck Problem. And there were definitely a few turns where someone got hosed by revealing a card that helped the next person.

I guess it was about as fun as a fairly random deckbuilder thing can be. Mediocre out of 10.

I just saw the box at the local game store, and was a little curious. I guess I won't be hurrying out to buy it.

I was curious about two other games. I've been seeing ads for the kickstarter for the expansion of The Networks, and was curious about picking up the base game. Also, the local shop has a big box, a "beginner box" and at least one or two expansions for a game called "Codex: Card-Time Strategy". It claims to be a translation of RTS video games into a card game (and I get very skeptical of "video game genre the board game"), but seems to have a decent score on BGG. Any opinions on these two games?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Codex is what would happen if Magic: the Gathering was good.

I've written a billion drat words on the game, if you want to dig through my post history in this thread. I'll write more when I'm not pass-out tired.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

YF19pilot posted:

I just saw the box at the local game store, and was a little curious. I guess I won't be hurrying out to buy it.

I was curious about two other games. I've been seeing ads for the kickstarter for the expansion of The Networks, and was curious about picking up the base game. Also, the local shop has a big box, a "beginner box" and at least one or two expansions for a game called "Codex: Card-Time Strategy". It claims to be a translation of RTS video games into a card game (and I get very skeptical of "video game genre the board game"), but seems to have a decent score on BGG. Any opinions on these two games?
The basic of it is that it's a mixture of Dominion, MtG, Hearthstone and Mage Wars. Like in MtG/Hearthstone, you and your opponent has a number of hit-points (which in game are themed as being your base). Instead of having Mana/Crystals, you have a number of workers (4/5 at the start depending if you play 1st/2nd), and each worker gains you one gold at the start of your turn, with unspent gold still being persistent instead of "use it or lose it" like MtG/Hearthstone. You play cards from your hand and they can be units/buildings/upgrades/spells, all of which cost gold to cast: the cards are pretty much what you would expect from MtG (summoning sickness, haste, deathtouch etc). So far, so simple.

What Codex does to shake up the formula is the following:
- You discard your entire hand at the end of the turn, and then draw how many cards you discarded + 2 (up to a maximum of 5), so you don't have any hand permanence from turn to turn (like in Dominion), but hand size is still a resource because if you play too many cards, your next draw is smaller.
- At the end of each turn, you open up your Codex (which is a folder filled with cards like in Mage Wars) and choose two cards to tech and place them in your discard. The only limitations is that in order to build some of the more advanced units, you need to have teched for them. You start the game with 10 tech 0 cards, in order to build tech 1 cards you need to have built the tech 1 building (which just needs a certain amount of money and that you have at least a certain amount of workers), and the same for tech 2/tech 3 (although there is a further mechanism that I will explain below).
- Before you start the game, you get to decide what to place in your codex. There are 6 different colours in the game (red, green, white, purple, blue and black, which all mostly fit the archetypes of their MtG counterparts, although purple doesn't really fit anything apart from being basically the Protoss from Starcraft), and each colour has 3 different archetypes (for example, red has Anarchy, Fire and Blood). You build your deck by selecting any three archetype from any of the colours (although usually I just play mono-colour). When you build your tech 2 building, you have to choose one of the three archetypes you selected, and can only play tech 2 (or tech 3) cards of that archetype. This is good because it means that, at the start, you usually only want to play spells or t1 units, which limits your choices, then later on you only need t2/t3 units of one archetype to tech.
- Each archetype is associated with a hero. Hero are basically units but they can gain levels that give them more health/more attack and special abilities. Also, you can only play spells if you have a hero in play (and there are restrictions on what spell you can play based on which archetype hero is out).
- Lastly, the patrol zone is how you can defend your stuff. The patrol zone basically allows you to place taunts on any of your units: there are several spaces on it, and your opponent needs to attack units on your patrol zone before he can attack you/attack units not on the patrol zone. As well as that, all the patrol zone spaces give a benefit to your unit: giving them 1 hit of armour, or improving their attack by 1, or making you gain 1 coin or draw an extra card etc. I like this better than hearthstone because ANYTHING can be used to taunt in this game.

There's loads of little rules I haven't explained but the things above are what makes the game interesting to me. Lots of replay-ability, lots of in-game choices in terms of what you tech/what you use to counter your opponent etc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

How was Crosstalk? I played it recently and everyone thought it was miserable. We basically got every answer on the first guess, not because the public clue was too good but because the private clue left no doubt. Like everyone wrote down "collie" for "Lassie" and "bedrock" for "Flintstones." I think the toughest one was "serendipity" but even that only lasted one single round. One of the gamers was even a second language English speaker and knew all the cultural references.

I don't know how this game is supposed to be played but we're just sticking with codenames.

So this is second hand, because I took one look and had zero interest, so I didn't actually play.

People seemed...okay with the game, for the most part, and there was definitely some laughter and chatter about who did what and thought what, but it really did not look like people were having a great time. It did allow for very easy people-in-or-out teams, so for an actual party it might work pretty well?

I'd play codenames: duet over it any day, without question.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Henker posted:

Couple days ago this thread was briefly mentioning that there's no decent "how to play" video for Forbidden Stars. Heavy Cardboard actually did a livestream of the game today and the first 40 minutes or so are a pretty good explanation of the rules. Their game ends fantastically as well. The two dudes are so busy duking it out with each other, that they don't notice Amanda sneak up and get all of her objective tokens on like the third turn.

This is everybody's first game of Forbidden Stars. Two players get locked into a pointless war as one tries to hold territory despite there being very little incentive to do so and both end up with maybe one objective a piece

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Clank has a major problem in that it goes the standard bad deck builder route with money and damage resources on cards, but also adds a third crucial resource in movement. Most players know how important movement is after one game so they’ll snatch up those cards from the market whenever possible. Then you’re completely at the mercy of the market row (and drawing movement) to even progress around the board. It ends up being a luck fest with little decisions that matter. The dragon attacks and waking up is also shallow and another tacked on element of RNG. It’s the most bloated deck builder with the least player agency for interesting play. Garbage out of ten.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Another major issue with Clank is there are single copies of the most powerful cards in the deck, e.g. the 'draw three cards' card. If that shows up after you buy a card and someone else has lucked into the resources to buy it that turn, they just won the game because there's pretty much no way to compete with that kind of card advantage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thanks for all the responses re: Keyflower vs. AFFO. Keyflower is back on my list but I ended up grabbing Inis that night (after verifying that Keyflower was pretty available everywhere and there wasn't a real scarcity reason to grab the copy at my FLGS.). Inis looks incredible and I can't wait to get it to a table.

Also, I absolutely love Flick Em Up (got the wood version, too!).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I finally found a deal on Galaxy Trucker + The Big Expansion (both for $55) and played it with my wife last night. She loved it. It's the perfect game for the two of us, since she really likes the puzzle and shipbuilding aspect, and I enjoy watching our ships get pummeled by meteors.

I also just learned that shields do not protect against large meteors. Whoops.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have a premium membership on Tabletopia? $10 a month to host online games (guests can join for free if one person has premium) sounds reasonable. It has Keyflower, Terra Mystica, Scythe, and others. It doesn't have full rules enforcement, but it does handle setup and looks a lot less janky than TTS. If anyone here recommends it I'll sub and host some games for the thread.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have a premium membership on Tabletopia? $10 a month to host online games (guests can join for free if one person has premium) sounds reasonable. It has Keyflower, Terra Mystica, Scythe, and others. It doesn't have full rules enforcement, but it does handle setup and looks a lot less janky than TTS. If anyone here recommends it I'll sub and host some games for the thread.

It's free now? Or at least I never got a prompt to sub last week? Yeah when I get back from my vacation (gone this week) I'd love to try out Clans of Caledonia on there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can play some games free and limited play counts on others for free as well, but a lot of games and 3+ player games require someone to have a membership.

and heres the list of features that it has that sound promising over TTS

quote:

Enjoy our awesome automated features:
ready game setups
custom camera controls
shuffling and dealing of cards
tracking player turns and game phases
interactive zones with predefined automatic actions, and much more!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skypie posted:

I've been thinking about doing something similar for Leaving Earth because I love that game and the art, but the storage it comes with is awful.

I really wanna make like a time capsule sorta box and plaster it with those retro future NASA posters.
Oh that reminds me. My Galaxy Trucker game doesn't really have a home right now, as it resides in a former stone age box when i condensed that into other stuff. But it's heavy enough that it warrants one and I saw this art for it floating a while back so I might just transfer this to a wooden box:

The person who did this has a bunch of other retro future space art: http://kwanchaimoriya.com/
The artist has apparently been commissioned to do a full line for this capital lux game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205046/capital-lux/images

I think for your idea you'd want to do a simpler decoupage style box to get that time capsule look. What I'm doing is using image transfer medium on reverse images to actually apply them to the box, so it has a finish much like the wooden flick em up game. It takes more work because you have to rub the paper off.

CommonShore posted:

Hm. Nice. I've been thinking about making a custom box for codenames + pictures + duet. Yours is much nicer than mine, even though mine doesn't exist yet and is thus presently an ideal. Much nicer.
I found that WOTC makes some really nice boxes for MTG that are easily repurposed for board games. I have my Codenames in such a box with some art on the outside.

These are the same but with different art: [url]http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?productids[]=426409[/url] You can search around and they have other critters
It's too bad that they went to the square prerelease boxes now but MTG had some long boxes for prerelease kits and they hold tarot-sized cards perfectly. I use one for Unearth and several for Fury of Dracula.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 1, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I couldn't even figure out how to sub. I guess I'll look at it again when I get back. Yeah if we could have a group, that'd be great.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mojo Jojo posted:

This is everybody's first game of Forbidden Stars. Two players get locked into a pointless war as one tries to hold territory despite there being very little incentive to do so and both end up with maybe one objective a piece

Forbidden Stars has an issue of ending super fast or devolving into a slugfest. I've won a couple of times that I've played with my friends, and the times that I won, I won on turn 2 or 3 by sprinting for objectives, going all in, and getting rewarded for it. I had one 4 player game where I was Eldar and one of my friends was Orks, and he is the sort of player who refuses to give up territory. He just kept slamming into my lines over and over again, but even with a 2 or 3 to 1 disadvantage in resources, I stalled him out and bled him dry. In the end, we both lost horribly because he refused to go after a different and much easier target and instead insisted on focusing 100% of his attention on me. I even made a couple of super risky plays into his backlines that if he had simply ignored, he could have taken my homeworlds and the objectives that were there (and I also would have taken an objective), but instead he wheeled back around and spent 3-4 move orders for the one that I spent to retake his home territory and then realign his forces back towards fighting me.

That all being said, the game is super fun, you just have to make sure that people understand that if you go for a strategy that will take all 8 turns, that you need to actually fight to ensure that the game lasts that long, and not make greedy economic plays that let someone else take all of their objectives at once. To be fair, it was mostly the one guy doing that in our games, but it was hilarious when we'd reveal his final order to stop me from getting an objective after I'd already fought off two other people and half my dudes were dead or routed, and the order would be a build or a dominate or something because he wanted to bulk up his long-term position.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Any goon consensus on the Tiny Epic games, specifically Tiny Epic Quest? I haven't played any of them but I'm heavily leaning toward grabbing that one based on the theme / art and what I've read about the gameplay.

I haven't played Quest either, but I'll second the recommendation for Galaxies, it's a lot of fun and remarkably dense for it's size. I also like Western, though not as much as Galaxies; it manages to be even denser, but that bumps elbows with how much the game hinges around gambling on die rolls and poker hands.

YF19pilot posted:

I've played the networks, its pretty forgettable. The art is neat, but not enough to carry the game, especially through repeat plays. The game itself is ok, nothing about the rules is offensive, but nothing is particularly interesting either. It feels like they had the premise and art style and did the bare minimum to build a functional game around that.

Codex on the other hand is amazing. To add on to what Tekopo said, the game is very much a perfect blend of the good bits of Magic, Dominion, and Warcraft 3. The creature interactions from Magic: "Is it worth trading my dude for their dude?", "Can I afford to just take the damage?", "Can I play my own dude now, or do I need to prioritize taking his guy out?" are all present in spades. Every turn you'll be thinking about Dominon-esque deckbuilding concerns, like how many cards are going back into your deck and which card you want to trash. Finally you have WC3 style build orders, transitions into strategies to surprise or counter your opponent, and the crucial decision of when you stop investing in the future and start throwing all your resources into killing your opponent ASAP (of course, if you judge this wrong and your opponent doesn't quite die he then has a major economic lead...).

Just be aware that the art and flavor of the game is pretty not great, haha. Sirlin is great at mechanics, but pretty bad at everything else. I'm so bothered by it that I've been working on a full retheme of the game, but that's going to take me a while yet.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Any goon consensus on the Tiny Epic games, specifically Tiny Epic Quest? I haven't played any of them but I'm heavily leaning toward grabbing that one based on the theme / art and what I've read about the gameplay.

I tried Quest 2-player yesterday, it was enjoyable. There's a lot of trying to set up flexible moves so that you can follow your opponent's choices (like Race or Puerto Rico a bit). The ItemMeeples work well to show who has what, but the rack is pretty pointless. We didn't have a lot of directly competing for the same quests, in multiplayer I can imagine that would result in some interesting night-time rest/continue choices.

It looks like the solo will deliver a similar experience.

Be warned that the game can take up more space than you might think - the Tiny Epic games have tiny boxes but expand a lot!

I like Galaxies a lot 2-player, I didn't like it as much multiplayer and haven't tried the solo (don't own) but it has a lot of fans.

Kingdoms is like Terra Mystica, with an ultra-tiny version that fits in a playing-card-size box (but good luck with your tetris skills to get it back in without instead using the provided cloth bag).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played a game designed for younger kids called Outfoxed, which is actually a really fun reboot of clue. There's a special frame for holding the 'thief' card, which contains the three elements that are deduced through play (e.g. a string of pearls, cape, valise, etc.). You then have a set of D6 that allow you to either reveal suspect cards (which match up to the thief cards) or to test a clue token. Clue tokens fit into the frame that holds the thief, and then you slide out a drawer that matches to the back side of the thief card, indicating whether or not that thief has that element on them. So you'd put the 'string of pearls' token into the frame, slide it out, and if the character on the card was wearing a string of pearls, you'd now know that.

Players are on a timer in the form of a fox token, which moves along a track each time you miss a roll (at the start of your turn you say, 'I'm going for Suspects' or 'I'm going for a clue' and then need to roll all three of that icon on your dice, missing this causes the fox to move along the timer). All players can lose if the fox hits the end of the track, and only one player can be the first to successfully deduce who the correct suspect is.

It's definitely simple, but the components are a really smart way to present information for a deduction game. I was wondering if there were any alternate rules out there to make it more complex for adults, or how you would make a more complex version of the game.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh that reminds me. My Galaxy Trucker game doesn't really have a home right now, as it resides in a former stone age box when i condensed that into other stuff. But it's heavy enough that it warrants one and I saw this art for it floating a while back so I might just transfer this to a wooden box:

The person who did this has a bunch of other retro future space art: http://kwanchaimoriya.com/
The artist has apparently been commissioned to do a full line for this capital lux game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205046/capital-lux/images

I think for your idea you'd want to do a simpler decoupage style box to get that time capsule look. What I'm doing is using image transfer medium on reverse images to actually apply them to the box, so it has a finish much like the wooden flick em up game. It takes more work because you have to rub the paper off.

How are you actually doing the image transfer? Special paper and glue then just rubbing the paper with a card?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skypie posted:

How are you actually doing the image transfer? Special paper and glue then just rubbing the paper with a card?

You can get something like mod podge matte if you want to show through or a gloss medium or mod podge image transfer solution. You need a laser printer because it doesn't work well with inkjet. Print a reverse image, use a foam brush to apply the medium on the print, wet the surface, and place it. Flatten it then let it sit for ~12h. Wet the paper with sponge, then start rubbing off the paper. It takes a while. But it looks like the image is on the surface, unlike scrap booking. I think the scrap booking method would be a lot better for the look you're going for

Apparently there's cheap wood chips and all sorts of stuff sold at Michaels that you could use for game components and prototypes. I might just remake a couple of these games with wood burned or image transferred wooden tokens. If only every rulebook came with a set of chit components like GMT games do. That would make printing them out a lot easier.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

silvergoose posted:

Magic Maze. First with six and no advanced rules and thought it was kinda lovely. Then at the end of the night, played with 4 and a couple extra rules and thought it was quite clever. I think having duplicated directions helped make the six player game bad. I'd play again, but probably only with four.

High player counts seem like they need the extra rules and tiles, otherwise people with duplicate powers are going to sit there doing nothing. I've played with 3 and 5 and on a large map it definitely helps to have an extra pair of eyes and hands, especially if you need more than one character to cross the whole board at the same time. Even just spotting good teleport spots or keeping track of the item/exit spaces is hard to do when there's 15+ tiles out.

al-azad posted:

How was Crosstalk? I played it recently and everyone thought it was miserable. We basically got every answer on the first guess, not because the public clue was too good but because the private clue left no doubt. Like everyone wrote down "collie" for "Lassie" and "bedrock" for "Flintstones." I think the toughest one was "serendipity" but even that only lasted one single round. One of the gamers was even a second language English speaker and knew all the cultural references.

I don't know how this game is supposed to be played but we're just sticking with codenames.

The clue givers kind of have to pick answers that have more than one approach. It's especially to the advantage of the team that guesses second to do this, because otherwise they won't even get a chance. You also have to kind of second guess what private clue the other team is getting, so that you don't tell them too much with your public clue. In the game I played none of the words took more than 3 rounds of guessing, but they were hard fought, with a lot of misdirection from the opposing team's clues, including deliberately guessing something wrong in order to obfuscate the meaning of their team's public clues.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've discovered that all three core codenames sets can fit into a single codenames box if you ditch the big cards that come with the pictures edition and just use the smaller normal ones. I've made a basic 5 compartment insert and the glue is drying on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Capital Lux has been out since Spiel last year, I picked it up then. Smart little game. You're drafting sets, and being the best in each round gives you cards from the ones played into the Capital to take actions, but you can't let your sets become bigger than the sets played in the Capital or they'll go Hunger Games on you and take everything you have.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The new through the ages app is really fun, even though I still don't really understand how to win. I hear the Age III wonders are supposed to bring in 40+ culture, but I struggle to get 20+ culture from one of those. How do you get a big enough military difference to score 50 culture in a War for Culture? And is Bill Gates as strong as I think he is? Ironically, my only win against 3 easy AIs occurred when I got iron and irrigation and just stayed on them all game, instead of skipping iron for coal.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

Capital Lux has been out since Spiel last year, I picked it up then. Smart little game. You're drafting sets, and being the best in each round gives you cards from the ones played into the Capital to take actions, but you can't let your sets become bigger than the sets played in the Capital or they'll go Hunger Games on you and take everything you have.

Yeah, reading about it seemed ok and it's cheap enough to warrant a try and the art is great. It's probably something I'll add to my CSI Lisboa/Troyes order.

golden bubble posted:

The new through the ages app is really fun, even though I still don't really understand how to win. I hear the Age III wonders are supposed to bring in 40+ culture, but I struggle to get 20+ culture from one of those. How do you get a big enough military difference to score 50 culture in a War for Culture? And is Bill Gates as strong as I think he is? Ironically, my only win against 3 easy AIs occurred when I got iron and irrigation and just stayed on them all game, instead of skipping iron for coal.

Big culture war swings are only possible if someone stupidly goes full michaelangelo and has zero military with no infrastructure. Usually you might expect 20-30 if Air Force is developed on the same turn. Bill Gates is as strong as you think he is but doesn't have ongoing culture like Sid. I don't see how 40+ for an age 3 wonder can be done regularly. 20+ is decent. I think the times I've seen it jump that high were lots of worker colonies and ocean liner for free+cheap cubes all day. I'm pretty sure iron is a trap compared to irrigation due to the costs of buildings vs workers and the science/building costs but you don't really want to jump into double resource upgrades back to back unless you got high science and lots of white or Robespierre is my circumstantial guess.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Capital Lux looks good and is good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Played Pinball Showdown tonight. It is an interesting bidding game with multiple resources to manage, but the point balancing is pretty sporadic and the game overall feels like it’s one go-over away from being amazing. Still a fun and interesting quick auction game.

Speaking of auction games, after hearing so much about it, I finally got to play Keyflower and wow what an amazing game. The game feels like it has so little going on but also so much, it’s great. The combative auctioning over tiles, the risk/reward of activating tiles you need. It’s a stellar game, even if I didn’t do too hot, and I can’t wait to play more of it.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Trip report from my birthday party the other day: having played it around three times yesterday, and a half-completed test run on Thursday, I'm ready to say that Isle of Skye is totally my poo poo. The pricing aspect of the game plus the variable scoring rounds have kept games looking drastically different from one another. The most notable game that we played involved the money scoring tile, which added a layer of complexity to buying that I really loved. Has anyone here played the expansion coming out, Journeyman? How does it expand, and potentially improve, the game?

Outside of that, it was a lot more lightweight games, with King of Tokyo, Resistance, and Werewolf all getting a couple of plays. A friend got me BANG! as a present, but it was like 2 am once it made it to the table, so we called it there without playing. Seemed pretty focused on the "gently caress you" kind of play, but if it plays fast enough it shouldn't be a problem.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

That Galaxy Trucker art was made for a poster size bit of art someone on BGG is taking preorders for, but they want $80 for a 2'x3' poster. "Special paper and print quality blahblah please pay triple what you think a poster should be"

It's wonderful, I love Kwanchai Moriya's art, I love Galaxy Trucker, I know own a home with a dedicated gaming area, but $80 is a lot.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Thoughts on Days of Ire?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

That Galaxy Trucker art was made for a poster size bit of art someone on BGG is taking preorders for, but they want $80 for a 2'x3' poster. "Special paper and print quality blahblah please pay triple what you think a poster should be"

It's wonderful, I love Kwanchai Moriya's art, I love Galaxy Trucker, I know own a home with a dedicated gaming area, but $80 is a lot.

I remember seeing posts about it on fb with a poll about what size and cost people would like for the prints. I see they just threw away the data. I've gotten really nice, niche posters of surfing competitions on thick paper that are the same size or bigger than that for $30-40, but $80?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play Captain Sonar today, just 2v2 as eight adults are hard to organise, what a shock.

Still a whole heap of fun.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Azran posted:

holy hell, the Spanish version of the Dark Souls board game has a mind-boggingly bad translation - words are translated literally and the connector "of" and "the" are in French and Italian.

https://twitter.com/soyignatius/sta...u-traduccion%2F

"Spawning" was translated as "desove" as in, what fishes do when they drop eggs.

To be fair, Steamforge games realized this was a problem and retranslated the cards (for the Spanish and Italian versions)... only problem was... the printer in China hosed up and printed the old version of the cards instead, and no one realized it until the cards were delivered. They are currently in the process of printing the corrected cards and shipping them to all the Spanish and Italian backers, but its gonna take a while.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Had a fun game day with friends this weekend. Among other games, I got to play Scythe for the first time, and I enjoyed it. I bought it at Gen Con, so it was nice to finally get to play. Of course, the only person who had played before won, since the rest of us were busy screwing around and ignoring most of the objectives. I'd really like to play it a few more times, now that I have the general idea of how everything works.
I also got the copy of Mountains of Madness I bought at Gen Con out on to the table. It's Cthulhu, but not nearly as dire as Eldritch Horror or things like that. The main gimmick is that everyone will get Madness cards during the course of the game that force the players to do weird poo poo during a certain phase. At one point, I was not allowed to use verbs, and another player had to look under the table for monsters before playing a card. It was a fairly quick play, and worth pulling out again, especially while drinking.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Finally ordered Keyflower you drat goons. Any advice for a teach and newbie strategy tips for our first play?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Finally ordered Keyflower you drat goons. Any advice for a teach and newbie strategy tips for our first play?

Number 1 thing to teach new players as I just played it last night for the first time: Do not overbid early. Putting 4-5+ meeples out to bid in the first season will severely hurt you the rest of the game.

Teach the tiles as they come out, to not overload people. Expect people to ask questions because it is quite a bit to follow the first game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ShaneB posted:

If nobody has AP, don't play with hidden meeples, it's a hassle. If people have AP, hide the meeples, because they will spend all their time counting how many of each color everyone has, spinning out countless shallow strategies in their minds.

Also note that there are separate summer boats for "ignore bidding color" and "ignore use color."

Expect at least one player to severely overpay for something in the first game. If they do so badly enough and early enough, consider starting over, if you're not close to done -- you lose the meeples of successful bids.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

The rulebook kinda sucks at teaching the game in an intuitive way, and there's some weird organizational decisions, like I think gold being a wild resource is only mentioned in the iconography section on the front page and not in the actual rules. Try to find a how to play youtube vid or something to complement it. The core game loop is pretty simple: on your turn you either make a bid on a center tile, activate a tile anywhere on the table, or pass, but there's a bunch of details to get tripped up on.

Go through the winter tiles briefly and explain the iconography before you shuffle and deal them out so that people know what they're building towards. Also make sure that people understand that each individual resource/meeple can only be used towards one scoring bonus at the end so they don't mistakenly try to go for 2 overlapping ones.

All other tiles can be explained as they come out. Make sure people understand that most of the resource generation tiles are only available in spring, and also that the tiles shift from a resource focus to a scoring focus in fall.

I've found that people who haven't played eurogames much will inevitably have trouble understanding the transport+upgrade tiles regardless of how well I explain them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tales of Woe posted:

The rulebook kinda sucks at teaching the game in an intuitive way, and there's some weird organizational decisions, like I think gold being a wild resource is only mentioned in the iconography section on the front page and not in the actual rules. Try to find a how to play youtube vid or something to complement it. The core game loop is pretty simple: on your turn you either make a bid on a center tile, activate a tile anywhere on the table, or pass, but there's a bunch of details to get tripped up on.

Go through the winter tiles briefly and explain the iconography before you shuffle and deal them out so that people know what they're building towards. Also make sure that people understand that each individual resource/meeple can only be used towards one scoring bonus at the end so they don't mistakenly try to go for 2 overlapping ones.

All other tiles can be explained as they come out. Make sure people understand that most of the resource generation tiles are only available in spring, and also that the tiles shift from a resource focus to a scoring focus in fall.

I've found that people who haven't played eurogames much will inevitably have trouble understanding the transport+upgrade tiles regardless of how well I explain them.

Would it be a good idea to lay out X winter tiles per player and have them all shown so that everyone knows what will be bid on in winter in advance?