Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

Dunno what you mean, it clearly looks big enough for either of these things. It extends below the side for a bit.

Not the cubby at the bottom of the dash console, that one's nice a big. The one on the center console on the left side, between the shifter and the armrest console. Thing's tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

You're talking about the trapezoid on the surface of the console, just south of the shifter, right?

You are correct - my '14 Regal had a similar hole. In some markets, touchscreens while driving are a no-no, so they stuck a trackpad there for the driver to operate the display while driving.

Oddly enough, the same was true on the Regal/Insignia for the climate controls. In some markets you got touch capacitive buttons, in others you got rotary knobs.

The irony is that the Lacrosse isn't currently sold in any market where the touchscreen restriction exists. So it's a pointless little cubby that is good for sticking the keyfob for a valet. Or a pack of stick gum.

The trapezoidal storage bin underneath the shifter is huge, contains a power port and is lighted. In profile it's 15" long and tapers from 6 inches tall to 3 inches tall. It's 8 inches wide and narrows to 6 inches wide at the rear.

Yeah, the little non-square hole. Just odd.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek posted:

Nice truck, whatup fellow Suburbanite?

I paid $4200 this summer for this '03 2500 4wd Quadrasteer truck with the LQ4/L480e combo. I'm sure most of AI turns their noses up at this sort of thing, but these old Suburbans are so goddamn useful. We're moving and doing house renovation stuff and the dollars-to-utility ratio just can't be beat. Towing, throwing all the kids in the back and still having 3 feet of cargo space behind that 3rd row? Real goddamn useful. Once the house chaos is over I intend to go full retard on this LQ4. :devil:

KakerMix posted:

I think AI can appreciate a Suburban since they don't represent what is 'wrong' with disposable car culture any more, that goes to the beluga whale Infiniti. Besides like you said, dollars to practicality is extremely tough to beat.

Yup I can't hate on that thing at all, especially at that price. My parents picked up a Yukon new in '05 or something and after 250k miles, several cross country trips, three crashes, moving all three kids at least once and towing all sorts of poo poo all over the country it just keeps taking the abuse. Dad's thought about selling it but it's so useful and the money he'd get is so little he keeps it around and drives it into work a few times a month.

I was even thinking about picking up a cheap yukon/suburban/etc for a tow rig since you can get a lot more truck for the money compared to a pickup.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This thing rules. It's so smooth, like a river stone.

It looks too big to be a Megane, what is it? License plate search just returns "blue Renault," which is not particularly descriptive.

Ludicro posted:

Looks like a Megane Sport Tourer maybe? I'm not massively clued in about Renaults.
Whoops, didn't subscribe to the drat thread sorry about that. It's a 2008 Renault Laguna Estate. Guess it's too big so they don't make 'em in the UK anymore, which is also why it feels like a 'normal' car to me having just moved from the States. Doesn't make it so easy to get through some of the insanely tiny streets with cars parked on both sides and trying to get past another car coming the opposite direction.

Has a sat-nav system that's amazing at times and infuriating at the same time. Overall it's been a pretty good car that I only had to spend about £500 getting all new pads/rotors on and replace two tires that had punctures.

It's my first diesel so it's been a bit of an adjustment how it drives compared to a normal gas car, but overall I think it's a pretty drat good bit of car. Just turns like an absolute boat because I guess the highest spec version of it had 4 wheel steering for tight turns.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Picked this 1996 Volvo 850R Turbo for $1k a week or so ago. Fun little grocery getter.
It makes cool whoosh noises too! :wiggle:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MasonF posted:

Picked this 1996 Volvo 850R Turbo for $1k a week or so ago. Fun little grocery getter.
It makes cool whoosh noises too! :wiggle:

$1000? What's wrong with it? Neat car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Very nice 850R.

A word of warning and advice: If it didn't come with maintenance records explicitly saying that it's been done in the last 15k miles, get the PCV system replaced with new parts. The PCV in these cars likes to clog and get gunk all over the valves, leading to them burning up (bad) or blowing out a seal and dumping all the oil (also bad).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whooshing noises really are the best. I want all my vehicles to make them.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Very nice 850R.

A word of warning and advice: If it didn't come with maintenance records explicitly saying that it's been done in the last 15k miles, get the PCV system replaced with new parts. The PCV in these cars likes to clog and get gunk all over the valves, leading to them burning up (bad) or blowing out a seal and dumping all the oil (also bad).

I'll add from personal experience to remove/bypass the GOD DAMNED useless low speed resistor on the electric fan circuit.

loving thing will fail open, and you'll still hear the fan cycling so you won't know it's cause it's hitting the (iirc) ~235F high speed fan relay. RIP my head gasket.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

I'll add from personal experience to remove/bypass the GOD DAMNED useless low speed resistor on the electric fan circuit.

loving thing will fail open, and you'll still hear the fan cycling so you won't know it's cause it's hitting the (iirc) ~235F high speed fan relay. RIP my head gasket.

That's something I never knew about, and explains why my C70 would run so drat warm in the summer. Probably also a contributing factor (along with a clogged PCV; do as I say not as I do...) in it now being down a cylinder.

Also a new timing belt and water pump is cheap insurance if there are no records of it happening in the last 20k.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tremek posted:

Already pulled the stock radio and put in an Android head unit I found for $26(!) on Amazon + a backup camera for another $20 - I have less than $100 into the entire radio upgrade including the GM bus adapter stuff - and am slowly working on other minor things as time permits.

Did you mean 260, or 26 because I'm going to need a link if it's the latter.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

$26:

... but the catch is it was an Amazon Warehouse order, which may have been a return (tough to say - nothing inside the packaging was open?) - and is probably difficult to repeat. Was at the right place at the right time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, very nice score.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

$26:

... but the catch is it was an Amazon Warehouse order, which may have been a return (tough to say - nothing inside the packaging was open?) - and is probably difficult to repeat. Was at the right place at the right time.

Yeah, looks like it's normally $170 or so.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

+

Ended up with this

Had thought about going the other direction and seeing if I could make it handle better but it's a truck and I was sick of rubbing tire anytime I loaded it down.Had a hell of a time getting the springs in there, couldn't find spring compressors that would work. Hoping the front springs settle a little so I'm sitting at 4x4 height in the front. Once that happens I'll tweak the helpers in the rear to get it more level.

Next project is new front calipers (think one's sticking occasionally) and pulling the bed to clean up surface rust bed/frame and install a trailer hitch receiver.

please ignore it being absolutely filthy

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 30, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That thing looks great.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tremek posted:

$26:

That's a hell of a nice find. Going to have to keep my eye out, thanks!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How does that not rub? Looks good man.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

How does that not rub? Looks good man.

It's on air. That's fully aired out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DropShadow posted:

It's on air. That's fully aired out.

I love your car when it's fully erect and hate it when it's flaccid.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That's what I figured, I'm still learning about this stuff though. Can we see it erect please? I don't recall a pic of that.

Also when it's fully aired out is the tire/wheel touching the fenders as the full weight of the car comes down? Not enough force to bend anything?

Here's my thing fully stock. DropShadow or others what's the first thing you would do if you came into that A4? I'd like to mod SOMETHING but I have no idea what I'm doing. Not feeling any stage tunes at the moment, not sure if you're a fan of those.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 1, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tint it and get rid of that front plate holder first. Then do a driver mod

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Tint it and get rid of that front plate holder first. Then do a driver mod

He kinda needs that front plate holder in Illinois

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do a tow plate mount then.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Personally I think tow plate mounts look urglier than center brackets.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Welp, new ride:*

*The story here is this is the truck I grew up with. Dad bought this truck when I was an infant, and used it for hauling a camper around among other things, so I have some sentimental memories of going up and camping in the mountains as a kid, going to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and sleeping on foam and sleeping bags in the back, all sorts of stuff.

It's a 1977 GMC Sierra Classic Camper Special, C25, with a factory 454 and 4:10 rear, and ~78,000 original miles. Dad is the second owner, and as the years have gone on the truck has seen less and less use until 2 years ago it developed a fuel leak and has sat ever since.

I have wanted to rescue the truck and start to push back on the entropy for a long time, and now finally have a place for it. Yesterday I went over to Dad's and we threw in a battery, got it to crank and finally start, and then I found 2 fuel leaks (around the bypass at the tank diverter valve Dad had mentioned + an abraded hose right up next to the mechanical fuel pump - rodents? Rabbits? not sure.) ... and then got it over to the new house.

(drat POs)

Original title from '83 when Dad bought it.

I haven't taken on a project this comprehensive before, but there are a lot of resources out there. As it sits it's a little overwhelming trying to prioritize where to start.

The general plan is to start a refurb and refresh project on the beast so it's usable when I need a pickup, but with the idea that I'd like to more or less lightly restore it and keep it in the family for my own kids.

From a usability perspective I want to get it safe, and then work on conveniences. The safety/immediate issues list includes for now:

- New tires - the 16.5" tires on it are 15+ years old and there's dry rot. It looks like it ought to be a 8x6.5 pattern, so I'm going to swap what I currently have on the 2500 Suburban onto it and upgrade the Suburban's wheels/tires.
- Oil change + check other fluids
- New shocks - the units on there have to date back to at least the 80s and look shot/corroded.
- Brakes - the pedal is soft every 3rd push on the pedal. Need to diagnose, probably bleed them and check the drums and pads

To get it plates, it needs an emissions test (76 is the first year for required emissions in CO, and at one point dad had the truck registered before '09 as a collector truck but then let the registration lapse, sigh) but as it doesn't have cats from the factory and I remember dad running leaded fuel in it when I was a kid, I'm guessing it will be pretty basic.

Beyond that the truck needs more or less everything touched... Anything that was rubber needs replaced, the body mounts are shot, I need to pull the door cards and pull 20 years of pine needles out of the window tracks and probably replace the tracks themselves, etc.

Looking forward to getting the beast back in good and usable form, and then plotting what to do with the 454 + 3 speed auto. There's no overdrive, so the TH350 or whatever's in there is a prime candidate for replacement, but I'm also mulling whether to yank the entire drivetrain and put something more modern in it.

If any of you have suggestions or resources you would recommend I would very much appreciate the info.

I had a funny realization last night - I think out of the dozens of cars and trucks I have had, this is the first vehicle I have had in my own name that has a carb.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Welp, new ride:*

From a usability perspective I want to get it safe, and then work on conveniences. The safety/immediate issues list includes for now:

- New tires - the 16.5" tires on it are 15+ years old and there's dry rot. It looks like it ought to be a 8x6.5 pattern, so I'm going to swap what I currently have on the 2500 Suburban onto it and upgrade the Suburban's wheels/tires.
- Brakes - the pedal is soft every 3rd push on the pedal. Need to diagnose, probably bleed them and check the drums and pads
- Oil/fluid changes.
- Rubber/bushings
- New shocks - the units on there have to date back to at least the 80s and look shot/corroded.
- Cosmetics like doorcards/etc.

You asked me on IRC last night for a list of how to shotgun the issues. Here you are.
If it ran leaded fuel it likely doesn't have hardened valve seats. Pull the casting numbers off the head and verify this. If so cam/head time.

It's a 454, it'll have a TH400, not a 350. Keep the fluid clean and it'll never let you down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

You asked me on IRC last night for a list of how to shotgun the issues. Here you are.
If it ran leaded fuel it likely doesn't have hardened valve seats. Pull the casting numbers off the head and verify this. If so cam/head time.

It's a 454, it'll have a TH400, not a 350. Keep the fluid clean and it'll never let you down.

Needs an overdrive and/or taller rear gears, or it's going to eat you alive in fuel costs. The good news is that a 4L80 is a TH400 with overdrive, basically. Or add a Gear Vendors overdrive.
An 8.1L/4L80 transplant would be cool and keep the "big-block" aspect, but you'd probably get more power than you have now with a 5.7 or 6.0 LSx transplant. No idea what would be less expensive.
Budget upgrade would at least be a throttle-body injection. You should be able to get factory parts that will work, or go MegaSquirt or other aftermarket setup. Not sure if there was aver a port injected big-block of that generation from Chevy, so only options there will be aftermarket, I think.

Also good news is that you can get pretty much every part of that truck from LMC Truck and other vendors. Square-bodies are still popular and well-supported.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

8.1l engines can be found for peanuts, but modifying them is expensive. Good truck motor as-is, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darchangel posted:

Needs an overdrive and/or taller rear gears, or it's going to eat you alive in fuel costs.

You forget he has a CTS-V, he's used to gallons per mile instead of MPG. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

8.1l engines can be found for peanuts, but modifying them is expensive. Good truck motor as-is, though.

That's what I was thinking. No mods needed.

Larrymer posted:

You forget he has a CTS-V, he's used to gallons per mile instead of MPG. :v:

I did actually forget that, and you're probably right.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sadly the V is gone - just 3 body on frame trucks in the stable at the moment - but don't think I didn't get the 2500 Suburban without thinking about how good of a tow vehicle it will make for something even faster than the V next year once we're done renovating our next house. Currently thinking about 6th gen ZL1s, but a '14+ E63s wagon also has some allure even if it's a big compromise for hooning.

Yeah MPG sucks on all our vehicles but it doesn't matter much as our daily commute is just taking kids to school at the moment.

Re: a new motor for the GMC, I'm half tempted to find someone's LSX build that they need to move, pull the LQ4 out of the Suburban and look down the bores and clean it up and throw it in the GMC, refurb the 4wd 4L80e that's currently in the Suburban, put the LSX in the Suburban, and find a net new 2wd 4L80 to bolt behind the LQ4 on the GMC. Maybe next year. For now it can do alright on what's in it with just a little TLC.

All that stems from the fact that the LQ4 is currently running great but could use some more oomph if it stays in the Suburban.... PD blowers cure all ails?

Its's only money and time...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
That truck is in amazing original condition. Like the last time I saw one that clean my grandfather bought it new in 1987. I would just clean it up, fix it and preserve.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I said I wasn't going to buy a new truck in the midwest, but I did.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

I seem to remember hotrod doing up a gen vi (the stubby bob motor, big hero six) to make like 600HP with a cam and little stuff. Might be worth going that route if you want to do less work than an LS swap, but still make good power.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah the mid to late 70's they dropped compression to meet epa regs so you just need to find heads that bump you back up. They usually ran restrictive manifolds and exhaust too. The intake ports sometimes dont even match the manifold in size, it was a pretty ludicrous era. Doing that and and a cam to match it all is pretty significant gains. Id wait till its exempt and set it up like a 60's motor with modern heads. It wouldnt need fancy edlebrock heads either just something more modern out of a junkyard with better geometry. And then mill it and run paper thin gaskets for more power lol.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

rdb posted:

That truck is in amazing original condition. Like the last time I saw one that clean my grandfather bought it new in 1987. I would just clean it up, fix it and preserve.

Yeah I may do that. Results of digging around in the glove compartment and under the seat tonight looking for the main set of keys Dad lost yesterday (which includes the key to the gas cap...):

Fair points about heads and cam. Being in CO this thing has always sucked going into the mountains, fuel injection would also likely make it massively easier to live with.

I think that heads, cam, headers, fuel injection, and a 4 speed auto with a really tall overdrive would make it much, much better to drive. At this point it won't ever be fully exempt - since the registration lapsed it will now and forever require a test every 5 years with the current laws if I stay in the same county - but with good tuning I would think even the stock motor can pass whatever the emissions standards are for it while making way more power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

[quote="“Darchangel”" post="“476983015”"]
...a 5.7 or 6.0 LSx transplant.
[/quote]

A 4.8 would almost certainly be a power upgrade over a malaise-era 454...

That said, if you're trying to keep it originalish,those big blocks have HORRIBLY low static compression (like 8.1:1 or something,) in addition to the terrible heads and almost-round cam profile. Almost anything you do will yield big gains, as long as you keep the garbage compression ratio in mind.

[quote="“Tremek”" post="“476994127”"]
Sadly the V is gone
[/quote]

*record scratch*

Whaaaaaaaaaa

That was one of my favorite AI cars. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I bought a ratty s13 Silvia tonight for cheap because of leaky turbo lines and it looks like it is just a missing washer after getting it home

hotside is off the sr20 and and have gone over the car to work out what it needs to drive and slide already

if I really wanted I could paint it and sort a proper interior/dash and register it, it's a surprisingly straight shell (which I didn't take a picture of)