Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hryme posted:

The merchant republic mechanics introduced in one of the DLCs is really outdated. And now after estates got introduced most other nations are much closer in trade efficiency because you can place burghers in trade centers. But I guess they can't really just remove the special internal politics of the merchant republics because they are a paid feature of a dlc.

I think it is time to reboot the game.

Yeah, I would prefer Paradox release a final DLC / EU4 Ultimate edition that fixes some of the more outdated and unbalanced mechanics and move on to EU5. It feels like they're running out of ideas and as much as I and others like to bitch about feature bloat there really isn't much in the upcoming DLC that appeals to me. Sure, army drill was a very important thing in the EU4 period but we already have Discipline, Morale, and Army Tradition, why do we need even more bars to watch fill up? We already have a lot of things that take up UI space yet are only relevant in edge cases. Sailors and Corruption are good examples. Paradox has done a great job making any nation a fun and viable game but their DLC model is really starting to show its limits.

I have well over a thousand hours played in EU4 but have barely touched it in the last few months and I don't see the new patch/DLC renewing my interest, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

not until we get a Monks and Mystics equivalent DLC for EU4

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah something to consolidate mechanics is really needed now, try playing the game with only 1-3 DLCs and see how weird and broken it actually is.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Playing as England makes you filthy rich. Without colonising I'm still making ~70 gold through the English Channel in like 1610.
I've never built as many buildings before and I'm well ready for manufactories to hit.

edit:

making that money

I intentionally triggered the English Civil War to try and get rid of the parliament because boy is that not a good government.

Also, I suppose I might eventually turn on Spain and take all their colonies. That will be the only way I ever get colonial nations in this game.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 1, 2017

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm attempting a holland -> Netherlands game, and Spain just inherited the Low Countries. Breda was the last core I needed for the decision and they got it right as I was about to pop off on Brabant for it. Should I restart? Also what is the best case scenario for the Burgundian inheritance?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

So I'm attempting a holland -> Netherlands game, and Spain just inherited the Low Countries. Breda was the last core I needed for the decision and they got it right as I was about to pop off on Brabant for it. Should I restart? Also what is the best case scenario for the Burgundian inheritance?

Best car scenario is you get it, but that is rare.

I'd maintain claims on the territories, get scary allies and build favours to get them. Might take a while. Alternatively, snag them during a war between Spain and other major powers.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

My horrible start as Sweden eventually turned around. The initial trouble was Denmark allying Muscovy, and Poland/Lithuania just getting massively stomped by Kiev and Moldova and everyone else leaving me with zero useful allies.

Eventually allied with Austria and somehow Norway (which meant they weren't a combatant against me, but were somehow still a vassal of Denmark). I defeated Muscovy by saying "hey why don't you take some Livonian Order land and just call it a day?" Livonian Order didn't like that too much but they pretty much immediately blew up into Livonia and Lithuania so whatever.

Then things were going pretty well, got Kalingrad, Memel, Danzig, etc...well on the way to that sweet sweet Sweden cheevo when uh oh:

I don't think I've ever had the AI actually declare war on me. Bohemia was buff af and so was Russia so this was a problem. Oh but wait Bohemia is not only allies with Russia; fuckkkk:

Also Denmark is now *my* vassals, tables turned you little shits. Luckily, the AI just kinda blundered around no taking Stolp (the war goal) while I was able to wipe some Russian armies and then just chill until I could white peace out. Dumped a toonnnn of prestige trying to get Denmark down from 100% liberty desire, but then Russia supported them and their desire shot up to 200%+.

Then Russia declared war on me, but by then (fearing the Bohemia/France/Russia gently caress brigade) I'd manage to ally the Ottomans so together we stomped Russia pretty bad. Or at least bad enough for me to get Neva and secure that area of the Baltic coast.

Bohemia then made a MASSIVE blunder:

I couldn't take much territory (literally 1 province due to troublesome AE), but humiliated them, took all their money, and left them with zero manpower/troops. Felt pretty good. Also took London. Somehow England had 4 ships. 3 transports and 1 trade ship. Dunno what the gently caress happened to them, but they were losing a war to Norway of all people so I hopped in and snagged London.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I restarted my ottoman game and made it an ironman run this time. Started by taking the usual cores back, took dullawhatever and those little red shits next to them because they tried to defend Candar for some idiot reason.
By that time my manpower was about negative 5000 and... the loving Tlemcen just attacked Tunisia? Seriously? It turns out the Mamluks allied them and are trying to use them to lure me into a war I can't fight right now. gently caress. So I just took the prestige hit and refused the call to arms. Sorry Tunisian buddies but I really need to recover :(

Of course the loving mamluks attacked anyways. Jackasses.

About 15k merc regiments, 5 sieges, and 5 bank loans later I now own the eastern Mediterranean coast, and a little bit of Egypt. Now the mamluks are crippled, and I'm (at least geographically) in a really good position to just blitzkrieg about 4 of their forts whenever the truce expires. Worth it. Also I managed to get the Ottoman coring cost reduction stacked with admin right before this, so everything worked out great.

After that it was time to take a few years off to mothball some forts, let my army chill on zero maintenance, ally a bunch of Italians and the bohemians, and generally just chill while stacking 20ducats a month until my loans are gone. I'm also like 15k manpower in the hole now.

A couple years later Hungary, of loving course, decided they want some. And they're bringing the Austrians. And the Genoans. Whatever, gently caress the Genoans. 600 ducats in bank loans later I now have my very own 50k stack of angry Turks. Luckily I got out of the manpower hole and went about 10k positive before they attacked. Even more luckily they split up and decided to gently caress with the Italian allies and my poor Serb vassal instead of throwing massive stacks solely at me. My general is poo poo, but I have a tech advantage. And because of them being split up into a bunch of 20-30k stacks I've managed to absolutely dumpster everything in sight and stackwipe at least 40 regiments so far :dance:.

My allies bailed out real fast. Probably some hidden Karma stat loving me over there. And things are hairy as gently caress right now, but if I can keep this sinking ship afloat long enough then I think Austria and Hungary's misstep there might have just given me a foothold into Europe. Hopefully I'll be able to keep from going bankrupt!

e: I'm at work so I don't know for sure but all this is like, in 1460 or 1470. Europe is going to get really interesting if I manage to gimp the god drat Austrian power bloc. gently caress Austria.

e2: I'm guessing the smart move would be to steal enough Hungarian clay to get a better land bridge to Venice, and just sue for peace asap before my luck runs out.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 2, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

As I mentioned earlier in a previous convo: Most of your frontliners should be mercs, though you're Ottomans so you have this really crazy manpower to play with so you can probably afford not to make them all mercs and adjust as necessary. Also should totally mention to not forget that there's a "combine regiments" button for after a war when you want to shitcan some regiments so you don't have to reinforce. I forgot that for a long while :shobon:

Good job though man. Take that loving Venice out. Own the Mediterranean trade, or at the very least just own a large enough chunk without them loving yours over.

Ideally though, Once you get trucking, you just keep alternating war declarations in a circle. Balkans -> North Africa -> Middle East -> Asia to the East -> Muscovy/Russia/whoever to the North. I'm not saying this as someone who played Ottos though, maybe that's a bad plan. someone else will probably suggest a Good Plan. Also totally screenshot stuff with timg to share.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

BeAuMaN posted:

As I mentioned earlier in a previous convo: Most of your frontliners should be mercs, though you're Ottomans so you have this really crazy manpower to play with so you can probably afford not to make them all mercs and adjust as necessary. Also should totally mention to not forget that there's a "combine regiments" button for after a war when you want to shitcan some regiments so you don't have to reinforce. I forgot that for a long while :shobon:

Good job though man. Take that loving Venice out. Own the Mediterranean trade, or at the very least just own a large enough chunk without them loving yours over.

Ideally though, Once you get trucking, you just keep alternating war declarations in a circle. Balkans -> North Africa -> Middle East -> Asia to the East -> Muscovy/Russia/whoever to the North. I'm not saying this as someone who played Ottos though, maybe that's a bad plan. someone else will probably suggest a Good Plan. Also totally screenshot stuff with timg to share.

I prefer to have a full force limit standing army during peace, and aggressively crunch the infantry together and replace with mercs as the war goes on.

Rationale is having standard troops is cheaper, and having a standing army scares off some wars and independence attempts.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BeAuMaN posted:

I'll post a map when I get home. Also that might have been the post that got me thinking to use mercs as my siege fodder during the War of Mamluk Aggression. I was just so in the hole WRT manpower at that point because of some really nasty battles that killed off way too many of my guys. I was overextending myself and got owned while trying to end the war quickly before the loans got out of hand. Hopefully I don't do the same with the War of Hungarian Aggression.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How is France doing? They should be real keen on being your pal right about now.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

The best case scenario is the burgundian inheritance not triggering, or at least not until you've taken everything you want.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rapner posted:

I prefer to have a full force limit standing army during peace, and aggressively crunch the infantry together and replace with mercs as the war goes on.

Rationale is having standard troops is cheaper, and having a standing army scares off some wars and independence attempts.

Yeah this is a good strategy. Also, mercs are way way more expensive than they used to be and even as the wealthy Ottomans, a full front line of mercs is a massive cost.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
If you can get burgundy to release it's other PU vassals, they won't get inherited by whoever ends up with burgundy. So it can help if you use warscore to end their other PUs , or support independence, or just wreck burgundy enough that the subject's liberty desire can't be contained. That's what worked for me on my (ongoing) Netherlands game

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Marxalot posted:

I'll post a map when I get home. Also that might have been the post that got me thinking to use mercs as my siege fodder during the War of Mamluk Aggression. I was just so in the hole WRT manpower at that point because of some really nasty battles that killed off way too many of my guys. I was overextending myself and got owned while trying to end the war quickly before the loans got out of hand. Hopefully I don't do the same with the War of Hungarian Aggression.

:justpost:

Babby 1480 ottomans in the start of what is potentially a hellwar to end all hellwars!

This was after dumpstering several stacks of Dumb poo poo Euros. I'm starting to actually move in on some of their territory, and my allies have showed up too! Crimea rolling in deep with that 12k. Jesus.
Honestly if this were a MP game or something I'd go knock over georgia for them when this is all over.

Making Progress, and they're starting to make another push. This time through moldova.

The tally, up to this point.

Rolling deep, but so am I.

Time to go fix tha- oh gently caress oh gently caress no guys you need to run!

Oh god I'm so sorry y'all :(

But they fought practically to the last loving man :unsmith:

While Austria/Hungary get Dealt With down south, crimea rolls in hard. I started to take this chance to just form my land bridge to venice. I'm out of mercs to hire, and I'm 10 bank loans deep at this point. I need to turn this war into a win for me asap.

And right about the same time as I started to do that I got nailed with a -1 stability event. And a bunch of rebels. Thankfully I had enough warscore to make this happen. I didn't even notice until I took the screenshots, but it also looks like Venice managed to lose their little incursion into my lands to a bunch of rebels. #rekt

gently caress you Hungary, you're landlocked now. Austria, you're on my shitlist now.
Qura Qaooherqwe, you need to be dealt with before you get too much larger.

But with 24k manpower in the hole, and literally zero mercs left? It's time to lick our wounds, stack cash, pay off a debt or two, and get closer to Turkish Space Marines via Monarch Points.

I'm so hosed if anyone else decides to start poo poo with me right now :(

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't worry about Qara, they'll be super easy to knock over pretty much whenever. Being a Horde, it only gets easier the longer you wait really.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PittTheElder posted:

I wouldn't worry about Qara, they'll be super easy to knock over pretty much whenever. Being a Horde, it only gets easier the longer you wait really.

I'm not super worried about them.

However...

e:

seriously what the gently caress poland, I also just lost about 15k to a 20k army in an even match with a tech advantage

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Marxalot posted:

I'm not super worried about them.

However...

e:

seriously what the gently caress poland, I also just lost about 15k to a 20k army in an even match with a tech advantage

Did you watch the battle to see what happened? Like, were the rolls just bad, were you on disadvantageous terrain, did you have crossing penalties? They might have military ideas already too. (Doubt they have any of the significant bonuses Poland gets yet, though)

Take a look at this army composition spreadsheet by tech level and try to always max out your combat width to take advantage of flanking. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/edit#gid=0

Some fights will still be swung by a string of 0 rolls but that will maximize your chance of winning a given battle.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's something incredibly satisfying about repelling an English invasion as Scotland, and then invading the poo poo out of Northumbria in return.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Only restart if France and Spain are allies. Otherwise, ally with France (set your attitude towards Spain to threatened to help with this) and use them to crush Spain.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

LOL just finished the thirty years war in my current game as Aragon -> Spain for consulate of the sea achievement. I went protestant and led the protestants to victory in the war. Great Britain, while protestant, fought for the catholic league and got made emperor after the war.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Eldred posted:

Did you watch the battle to see what happened? Like, were the rolls just bad, were you on disadvantageous terrain, did you have crossing penalties? They might have military ideas already too. (Doubt they have any of the significant bonuses Poland gets yet, though)

Take a look at this army composition spreadsheet by tech level and try to always max out your combat width to take advantage of flanking. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/edit#gid=0

Some fights will still be swung by a string of 0 rolls but that will maximize your chance of winning a given battle.

I haven't the foggiest idea what caused it. I didn't catch it until the last second, and I wasn't really aware terrain was a thing.

But my allies came in strong and got me enough warscore to annex 2/3 of Moldavia. So that was nice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Terrain is very important. Bad terrain is a flat penalty to every roll the attacker makes in combat. Don't attack equal, much less superior forces over water or in mountains (or to a lesser extent, hills or forests) if it can be avoided. Conversely, you can sometimes repulse stronger forces than you might think if you are defending with these advantages, though you should always strive for numerical superiority. Terrain is actually more complex than I just made it sound (it also restricts your combat width and some nations get different bonuses or penalties) but yeah, be aware of terrain and you will win more fights.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sieging a fort that requires 9 men, in a jungle province with a supply limit of 7. burned through my manpower and now i'm wasting money burning through mercs please kill me

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

skasion posted:

Terrain is very important. Bad terrain is a flat penalty to every roll the attacker makes in combat. Don't attack equal, much less superior forces over water or in mountains (or to a lesser extent, hills or forests) if it can be avoided. Conversely, you can sometimes repulse stronger forces than you might think if you are defending with these advantages, though you should always strive for numerical superiority. Terrain is actually more complex than I just made it sound (it also restricts your combat width and some nations get different bonuses or penalties) but yeah, be aware of terrain and you will win more fights.

Just FYI, I think they took out terrain effect on combat width: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Terrain

So only like 8 mechanics you need to track to pick battles optimally.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eldred posted:

Just FYI, I think they took out terrain effect on combat width: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Terrain
It was a good change. Almost as good as getting rid of the awful percentage system with the bullshit like 50% grassland, 30% forest and 20% hills they used to have. Trying to defend against France by hiding in the Pyrenees? gently caress you there was a 5% "random" roll for flat ground lol stackwiped.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Marxalot posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea what caused it. I didn't catch it until the last second, and I wasn't really aware terrain was a thing.

Terrain is an extremely important modifier, perhaps the second most important factor (after generals), assuming rough tech parity.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Cool, I'll keep the terrain thing in mind. That explains a lot of the random rear end problems I've been having, actually. I just thought this game was lovely about its die rolls. Like how you can (and almost always will) spend well over a year sieging in the 20+% chance to surrender stage. I think constantinople took me like 4 years to take :v:

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Terrain is an extremely important modifier, perhaps the second most important factor (after generals), assuming rough tech parity.

I love that a sentence like this about combat needs so many qualifiers. :downsgun:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poil posted:

It was a good change. Almost as good as getting rid of the awful percentage system with the bullshit like 50% grassland, 30% forest and 20% hills they used to have. Trying to defend against France by hiding in the Pyrenees? gently caress you there was a 5% "random" roll for flat ground lol stackwiped.

It was a bad change because you can't just punch the poo poo out of the Timurids on day 1 as Tabarestan by fighting the horse idiots in the mountains with infantry.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I just thought this game was lovely about its die rolls.

Don't worry, it still is.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Marxalot posted:

Like how you can (and almost always will) spend well over a year sieging in the 20+% chance to surrender stage. I think constantinople took me like 4 years to take :v:

It usually takes 1-2 years to siege down a current-tech fort. Just make sure you're not wasting time by having less total troops than is needed to get siege rolls. If it's a coastal province you can blockade it with your navy for a +1(?) to all your rolls. Same for generals with siege pips, each pip is +1 to all siege rolls. Oh, and bring a/some cannons as soon as you unlock them. They're kinda pointless in combat till miltech 14, but they again provide higher siege rolls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Having enough ships to blockade a fort essentially gives +2 to siege rolls (technically it just disables a -2 to siege rolls, same difference)

There's also a great age ability that gives you an additional +1 to siege rolls for a blockade

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Dev diary - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-3rd-of-october-2017.1048573/

Rum is now formable by Turkish nations if neither Ottomans or Byz exist (so player only, pretty much) and Janissaries have been reworked:

quote:

Janissaries on the other hand, have seen some changes. No longer a countrywide boon for all units, the Janissaries are now special elite units. These can be recruited for a set cost of 50MIL from a given state. For every 10 development of heathen-faith land in a state, 1 Janissary unit will be spawned, making high-development concentrations of wrong-religion land desirable . These special units cost twice as much to reinforce but are able to withstand damage much better, taking 10% less shock and fire damage in battle. Similarly, the Janissary Decadence disaster has been altered, now to fire if a nation relies too heavily on Janissaries relative to their forcelimit.

The DLC also officially has a name now - Cradle of Civilization, 19.99 in 'late 2017', and of course no mention of any Ming nerfs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they're going all in on banners/streltsky/janissaries stuff huh

oddium fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Because that interface so nice once you're a large nation like the Ottomans. Edicts are the most user friendly thing ever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do the Russian Streltzy (or whatever they are/however you spell it) work? I cant find anything on the EU4 wiki about them...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's a button + bar in the government tab that fills up 3 + your monarch's military points every year. when it hits 100 you can raise 20% of your force limit of +10% fire damage infantry at no ducat/manpower cost. it's super broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How else could you solve the problem with Ming? The only way is to make other already strong nations more powerful to compensate.

• Locked thread