Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That....doesn't make sense imp clearly points out which anime genre is takes from.

Okay.
Then XCX feels like one of those weird slice of life animes and XC is just a normal jRPG. Does that work better for you?

XCX feels so different that it's almost like it's not from the same series/developers at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Taear posted:

Okay.
Then XCX feels like one of those weird slice of life animes and XC is just a normal jRPG. Does that work better for you?

Say it's an anime instead of JRPG then yes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tae posted:

Type-0 is so much worse than 15 and that's as someone that really likes type-0.

Oh good, I’ll get them both then.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks. I now have a healthy wishlist to look forward to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll say it again, literally the only thing separating xenoblade from other xeno games is that the characters are too blurry for the aesthetic to be immediately recognizable and everyone has an accent

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Taear posted:

Okay.

This just make me wish you were on the ship with New Venice instead

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What anime genre is Trails

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Terper posted:

slice of life

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Terper posted:

Kino’s Journey

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sky is 90s anime, Crossbell is 00s anime, Cold Steel is 10s anime

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Terper posted:

Expired milk

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terper posted:

If Taera likes it, JRPG

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

when everything is anime, nothing is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taear posted:

Okay.

XCX feels so different that it's almost like it's not from the same series/developers at all.
why not just say you don't like xcx's writing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakuza 6 can't be worse than Kiwami which is so far the worst Yakuza game I've played.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

lets talk about how paper mario 64 for the nintendo 64

i finished replaying the first chapter yesterday and i was kind of surprised at how brief itwas, there wasn't even any partner dialog, which is something i've never really noticed before going back to it with ttyd more fresh in my memory.

Paper Mario 1 is very much a rough draft for TYD, from the tedious backtracking in Flower Fields to several partners being copy-pasted into the sequel with more personality mixed in

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Yakuza 6 can't be worse than Kiwami which is so far the worst Yakuza game I've played.

What’s wrong with it? Isn’t it just 1 but with nicer graphics and more modern gameplay?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

i'll say it again, literally the only thing separating xenoblade from other xeno games is that the characters are too blurry for the aesthetic to be immediately recognizable and everyone has an accent

I still think it's the noses. Modern animes and anime games have dot noses - just look at Cold Steel. The Wii probably couldn't do them that fine so everyone has huge schnozzes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Perhaps the real joke is that XCX feels more inspired by Western works than anime. The sequel baiting stinger at the end feels straight out of one of Marvel's projects.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getsuya posted:

What’s wrong with it? Isn’t it just 1 but with nicer graphics and more modern gameplay?

It's 1 with nicer graphics

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Caphi posted:

I still think it's the noses. Modern animes and anime games have dot noses - just look at Cold Steel. The Wii probably couldn't do them that fine so everyone has huge schnozzes.

()

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

babypolis posted:

why are jrpgs so intrinsically linked with anime anyways? is it all because dragon quest and akira toriyama? the early final fantasy games borrowed way more from d&d, they didnt really go full anime until seven

because theyre japanese

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It's 1 with nicer graphics

Hey for $20 that’s all I really want.

Can’t wait for Kiwami 2 to come out. Honestly I’ll probably even pick up 6 once it’s out in English. I need to judge it for myself instead of trusting Japanese reviews all the time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Osbourne is such a dreamboat :swoon:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he can annex me anytime he likes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chancellor, more like handsomer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cocksborne the irondick

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

It is Yakuza 1 but with minimal updates, recycles most of Yakuza 0 without being as good as it, and adds the Majima Everywhere system which is the definition of Too Much Of A Good Thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Well, yeah, less so the more dude or old you are. Middle-aged anime men have powerful noses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
noses always look kinda funny when you spend too long looking at them so I can't fault highly stylized art like anime just ditching them entirely

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when will there be a game that looks like kaiji

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm sure there's some Mcdonald's game with the moon guy in it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

why not just say you don't like xcx's writing

Because:

CharlestheHammer posted:

anime is stuff I don't like and stuff I like is, by definition, not anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:^)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What jrpg series is maximally anime? I'm going with nep, though Disgaea is also up there.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Medabots one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

What jrpg series is maximally anime? I'm going with nep, though Disgaea is also up there.

Dark Souls

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keU_TvvutAI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

literally persona

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Getsuya posted:

Has anyone played Dragon Quest 11 yet? How is it? Worth looking forward to for when I get my PS4?

Actually what RPGs should I be hyped for as a soon-to-be PS4 owner? So far my wishlist is:
Witcher 3

I dunno. I haven’t done much research.

DQXI is Very Good and has some cool twists on the traditional DQ themes if you're familiar with the series. It's also Very Pretty on PS4. The characters are mostly cool, though a couple are kind of one-note & the story has been pretty engaging so far. It's pretty long though as I'm roughly halfway through @40-ish hours and completing a lot of the side content.

Also there's a pink thug.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tired Moritz posted:

jrpgs are at their core, power fantasies, and there's no bigger power fantasy than being an anime.

Conan of Cimmeria: the original anime..?

TurnipFritter posted:

Perhaps the real joke is that XCX feels more inspired by Western works than anime. The sequel baiting stinger at the end feels straight out of one of Marvel's projects.

"Sequel bait stinger" describes literally 90% of 12 episode anime series.

chumbler posted:

Record of Agarest War.