Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

They're livestock guardians; they need something to guard or they go crazy. If they don't, there's a possibility they'll imprint on you, and then guard you against everyone you ever meet, or your children, and guard them from you + everyone else. My neighbour has one for her ducks.

This woman being referenced adopted a Maremma but it had nothing to guard, so instead it adopted a tree in her garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC they're insanely protective farm dogs that absolutely belong on a farm

Right, they're a livestock guardian breed. Their intended purpose is to use their massive size to murder wolves and other threats to whatever herd of sheep or goats they live with 24/7. They're not like hunting dogs or herders that are meant to live with humans when they're done working for the day.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

funmanguy posted:

So what's wrong with those big white dogs? They look pretty majestic, so it must be something real bad, like they all always have rabies or something.

As the thread tried to impart on the OP, they are not dogs so much as farming machines with fur. They've been bred to work with livestock and are not trainable pets or furry cuddle toys that play and fetch and love you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuns with Guns posted:

Right, they're a livestock guardian breed. Their intended purpose is to use their massive size to murder wolves and other threats to whatever herd of sheep or goats they live with 24/7. They're not like hunting dogs or herders that are meant to live with humans when they're done working for the day.

this sounds like you are talking about a great pyrnees, but those guys adapt to being house dogs pretty well.

they just sometimes will decide they know better than you when you try to give them commands.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

this sounds like you are talking about a great pyrnees, but those guys adapt to being house dogs pretty well.

they just sometimes will decide they know better than you when you try to give them commands.

Great Pyrs are way, way more adaptable to being pets than maremmas. I've only met working maremmas, who slept with the sheep and so on. They were completely uninterested in human contact of any kind.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WrenP-Complete posted:

Great Pyrs are way, way more adaptable to being pets than maremmas. I've only met working maremmas, who slept with the sheep and so on. They were completely uninterested in human contact of any kind.

i love pyrs and would have a bunch if i was willing to take care of a dog. I've known quite a few, and even the working ones were good dogs, even if they were more interested in their herds than they were getting attention from the people.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
one of the posters in that thread had a pyr and iirc he chainsawed through a wooden barn wall with his teeth while recovering from major surgery because he wanted to be with his goats. apparently the difference is in temperament, pyrs are hardcore but they're still big dumb doggy dogs that love their owner, while maremmas have no companion instinct, they're not people-oriented at all

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the old ceremony posted:

one of the posters in that thread had a pyr and iirc he chainsawed through a wooden barn wall with his teeth while recovering from major surgery because he wanted to be with his goats. apparently the difference is in temperament, pyrs are hardcore but they're still big dumb doggy dogs that love their owner, while maremmas have no companion instinct, they're not people-oriented at all

i believe it. when they work they are absolute guardians, even against their master occasionally. if they are not working they are giant lumps of cuddly fur.

the perfect dog imo

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

RFC2324 posted:

i believe it. when they work they are absolute guardians, even against their master occasionally. if they are not working they are giant lumps of cuddly fur.

the perfect dog imo

how do you shear/slaughter member of their flock?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

how do you shear/slaughter member of their flock?

presumably by leading them away. i never asked, but the people i knew who had them had sheds for working on the flock separate from where they kept the flock as a whole. the dogs were suspicious when they led one away but allowed it (i only saw pregnant mommas led away to give birth tho)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't it Mareemas that they famously used in Australia to protect penguins from foxes? (Before that, they deployed snipers. Really.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

Isn't it Mareemas that they famously used in Australia to protect penguins from foxes? (Before that, they deployed snipers. Really.)

It is indeed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently it was a repurposing of ones raised to protect chickens.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah the chicken sniper detail was a tough beat that tended to draw the most sunburned maniacs. Called 'em Red Roosters.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

thatbastardken posted:

Yeah the chicken sniper detail was a tough beat that tended to draw the most sunburned maniacs. Called 'em Red Roosters.

I hear things went pretty gnarly when they came to snuff those guys

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Antivehicular posted:

I hear things went pretty gnarly when they came to snuff those guys

as bad as the emu war

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

thatbastardken posted:

as bad as the emu war

*sotto voce*Don't mention the emu war.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Didn't they crosstrain with the Rapid Tactical Force?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The maremmas there accidentally killed a few penguins initially after playing rough with them, too.

I found the thread as well (archived):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

Later on, someone googled her username and saw that she'd posted follow-ups on other pet websites about the dog being tied up outside and imprinting on a tree before giving it away

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Googling photos of maremmas, there's only like 1% of them with the dog even near a human being, and literally zero where the dog is friendly with one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Oct 2, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

as bad as the emu war

That was the greatest Wikipedia entry, until the editors came along and ruined everyone's fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
googled maremmas and they look like the huggiest most cuddle-able dogs and this is a perfect encapsulation of the intrinsic injustice of this world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently they're one of the oldest known consistent dog breeds, at least in that 'sheepdog bred to fight wolves and rustlers and win' is probably one of the oldest uses for dogs.

So of course they're a magnet for complete idiots who think 'Cute = perfect pet for me and my children and cats!!' and refuse to listen to literally anything else even when their children get mauled.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

googled maremmas and they look like the huggiest most cuddle-able dogs and this is a perfect encapsulation of the intrinsic injustice of this world

Luckily the Great Pyrenees looks almost identical and is friendly!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Proteus Jones posted:

That was the greatest Wikipedia entry, until the editors came along and ruined everyone's fun.
Wow. I can't believe the emu war was a casualty of the wiki sperg war.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Apparently they're one of the oldest known consistent dog breeds

Is there any breed that isn't claimed to be one of the oldest known breeds?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Golden Retrievers were only recognized as their own breed in the 1900s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Donkeys are way better than dogs at protecting livestock.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
They're real asses though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jerry Cotton posted:

The German Shepherd was only created just before 1900, and in the last couple of decades breeders have intentionally hosed up its back so it even fails the "consistent" part of that statement.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

The German Shepherd was only created just before 1900, and in the last couple of decades breeders have intentionally hosed up its back so it even fails the "consistent" part of that statement.

Yeah I heard a dog guy talk about how functional working poor-biting Schaefers could never win any prizes because they have to be able to walk and run and stupid poo poo like that. So now there's breeders who breed only for shows and breeders who breed only for fascists.

e: And sheep-farmers I guess but everybody I've ever known who lives in the country has also been a fascist so :shrug:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

It's perfectly acceptable to discuss other subforums and their threads even if you don't post in them generally, the majority of this thread is predicated on that. I assume DOWN JACKET FETISH made an absurdly exaggerated comparison as part of what I believe might be called a "joke". Honestly I don't know but the eggheads in the lab are very excited that we may have finally discovered trace elements of humour in PYF.

For a perfect example of someone making terrible decisions and totally ignoring solid advice from goons, here's a great thread. A guy decided to walk across America to find himself and that's totally not a Hollywood thing that makes no real sense in actuality. You're probably thinking "I dunno man walking through some lovely American forests and trails taking in the sights and doing a bit of camping sounds kinda nice" and you're pretty correct. However he decided to walk down motorways and then also through part of a desert instead. I haven't gotten to the point where he's even started hiking yet (if indeed he ever does) but he's constantly being given great advice that he laughs off as "what happens happens namaste" or "trolling" if they use the word gently caress.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post444237339

Was there even a second thread? This is the funniest poo poo ever and I want to read the conclusion. If there was one.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bradzilla posted:

Was there even a second thread? This is the funniest poo poo ever and I want to read the conclusion. If there was one.

The conclusion was in the thread via his FB, he gave up and drove.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scudworth posted:

The conclusion was in the thread via his FB, he gave up and drove.

And then his car broke down in the desert

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ghostlight posted:

The same thing is happening to the Basset Hound. The legs keep getting shorter and shorter while the loose skins keeps getting bigger. I don't mind the droopy look but its getting taken too far.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194464&pagenumber=1

It was the thread that got me to finally sign up. Sadly I think the images of salad mountain are dead now.

The weirdest things about this thread is a 17 year old posting on something awful, since we're all around 60 now

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BexGu posted:

The same thing is happening to the Basset Hound. The legs keep getting shorter and shorter while the loose skins keeps getting bigger. I don't mind the droopy look but its getting taken too far.

As part of breeding to "the standard" english bulldogs can no longer reproduce naturally and have to reproduce via artificial insemination and cesareans

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Wtf dogs should not have car skirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wtf dogs should not have car skirts

Yeah, show breeds, and to a lesser extent pure breeds, are a cauldron of genetic disorders and misery. That's why I tend to adopt mutts like my latest Big Stupid Dog (Lab/Mastiff/???). I did in inherit my Small Yappy Dog (mini pincher pure bred) from the previous owner passing, but so far she's about 8 years old and seems to be going fine.