Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hi goons, not sure if I should be asking this elsewhere or not since I don't post or read this subforum, but figured you all would be the best ones to ask since it's about reading. I have a 1st Generation Kindle Paperwhite that got a cracked screen just after it's warranty expired. Amazon at the time basically told me tough poo poo and only offered to let me spend more money on another unit, which I passed on and subsequently kinda fell out of reading in general. I'm trying to get back into reading, and while I like having physical books, an ereader is generally just more practical for me. So here's the question, should I buy another Paperwhite or get this new(er) Voyage model (or should I just slum it with a base model one and read with a light on at night)? The Oasis is laughably expensive, so I wouldn't even consider it, and while the Voyage just seems like a repackaged Paperwhite, it seems to be touted as better more often than not on tech/review blogs. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Voyage has two additional lights, the adaptive light feature (it'll auto-adjust the screen's brightness for you based on ambient lighting conditions), and you can press the side of the unit to change the pages (versus only being able to swipe left or right on the Paperwhite). Oh and it's a bit lighter.

If that sounds like it's worth an additional $80 to you, get the Voyage, otherwise I'd recommend the Paperwhite.

Note: I have a Voyage and love it, but in my opinion it wasn't enough of an upgrade over a Paperwhite to justify the price difference.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm looking to pick up some cheap-o thriller/mystery paperbacks but don't really know anything about the genre, could you guys throw out some names of the hacks and or conservative nitwits I should be avoiding? Thanks in advance.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Human Tornada posted:

I'm looking to pick up some cheap-o thriller/mystery paperbacks but don't really know anything about the genre, could you guys throw out some names of the hacks and or conservative nitwits I should be avoiding? Thanks in advance.

The Hard Case Crime line seems to avoid those sorts. Or rather, at a minimum it avoids publishing books that are poorly-disguised conservative screeds - I can't say I'm familiar with the personal politics of all the authors they've published.

http://hardcasecrime.com/books_bios.cgi

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Human Tornada posted:

pretty much anything co-authored by douglas preston & lincoln child should do the job

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hey lets make som dumbass goony book puns

Dorian Gay, So What (from the quotes thread)
Granos & Punishment
A Morally Inept Proposal

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I miss Kindles with real buttons :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

I have literally wailed and gnashed my teeth over the absence of kindle buttons

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm used to it now, but that was one weird transition. Being able to pull a word from dictionary by touching it mitigates the lack of buttons up to a point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powaqoatse posted:

hey lets make som dumbass goony book puns

Dorian Gay, So What (from the quotes thread)
Granos & Punishment
A Morally Inept Proposal

come on you guys

A Tale of Three Olives

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I have a Kindle Oasis. It has buttons and is super light weight. It's also hideously expensive. I love it, though.

I read every day and nearly always from the library, so I've convinced myself the math isn't that bad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I am still hanging on to my 5th gen for this reason

I got a Voyage recently though because while it doesn't have buttons, it does have none-touchscreen page turning functionality, which is the main reason I want buttons

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ended up buying the Voyage, thanks for the info Ornamented Death, and I like the page press "buttons" on the device. Don't have any trouble finding them in the dark, though that probably just has to do with how I hold the thing. Physical buttons would be nice, and the Oasis looks really good, but it's just too drat expensive compared to the other units imo. Maybe if I manage to really get back into reading and they update the Oasis in a year or so I'll look at upgrading to one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I got a question for buying books online.

I been using Amazon.com prime to buy books and ship them to Canada because the amazon.ca selection/prices is horrible. Are there any good online stores where you can buy paperback/hardcover especially for Canada?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Influx Press is having a sale for a ton of their ebooks - I'm bringing this up here because my favorite book about cities, Imaginary Cities by Darran Anderson - is on sale. It's delightfully weird and informative and probably one of my favorite works of nonfiction.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying to read a mother fucker of a book called The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne C. Booth. For those unfamiliar, this is the guy that coined the term "unreliable narrator". I feel like the only way I'm going to get through this is with the help of a Let's Read.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks got perma'd LMAO

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So I picked up The Myth of Human Supremacy by Derrick Jensen cause it seemed to have a good premise and all the reviews I could find were glowing. This is my first Jensen book. I've gotten through about a chapter and it feels like the scattershot "check out this neat nature fact" tweets of a biologist interspersed with the rants of the worst of Something Awful's belligerent trolls. Arguing in the worst of faiths and beating home the same points for pages. I rolled my eyes hard when he was trying to make a point by talking about his apparent intellect followed by his dick size.

Does anyone know anything about this book? Did he get a troll manifesto published? It's been a while since I've just put a book away unfinished but if this doesn't get any better, it's gonna get - well, I'd actually feel bad donating it just for someone else to maybe read it- I dunno, recycled?

Edit: Or point me to where this post should go instead?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 21, 2017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gah, wrong thread of course

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

So I picked up The Myth of Human Supremacy by Derrick Jensen cause it seemed to have a good premise and all the reviews I could find were glowing. This is my first Jensen book. I've gotten through about a chapter and it feels like the scattershot "check out this neat nature fact" tweets of a biologist interspersed with the rants of the worst of Something Awful's belligerent trolls. Arguing in the worst of faiths and beating home the same points for pages. I rolled my eyes hard when he was trying to make a point by talking about his apparent intellect followed by his dick size.

Does anyone know anything about this book? Did he get a troll manifesto published? It's been a while since I've just put a book away unfinished but if this doesn't get any better, it's gonna get - well, I'd actually feel bad donating it just for someone else to maybe read it- I dunno, recycled?

Edit: Or point me to where this post should go instead?

This guy sounds badass

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Nobel Prize to be announced this Thursday.

Picks for the last three years have been pretty unconventional so I'm going to go out and say Murakami might actually win this time around.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I was wildly wrong about Dylan but I'm pretty sure Murakami won't win

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I cannot wait for a white European

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot wait for a white European

Yeah it's good that the best authors win the prizes innit

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
thrilled to announce that the nobel prize has gone to the surprise dark horse candidate, dril

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Joe Eszterhas' Facebook page just shared this image.

I'm amazed that Joe got an advance of 300k for website content. I would have enjoyed reading more Hollywood dirt from him. Too bad it didn't pan out.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mira posted:

Picks for the last three years have been pretty unconventional so I'm going to go out and say Murakami might actually win this time around.

i hope my boy gerald murnane wins

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Juanito posted:

Joe Eszterhas' Facebook page just shared this image.

I'm amazed that Joe got an advance of 300k for website content. I would have enjoyed reading more Hollywood dirt from him. Too bad it didn't pan out.

please concisely explain who that is and why i should give a drat

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
still rooting for garison keillor to get the nobel

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mira posted:

It's anybody's game since Tom Petty's gone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It will be me for my contributions to the art of posting

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Donald Trump's ghostwriter, for the indignities suffered.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mira posted:

https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/915244491451375621

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

these have never been right in the whole of history or even very close

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
what kind of broken weirdo lays down money on the nobel prize in literature. football is right there, dude

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

these have never been right in the whole of history or even very close

didn't the odds for dylan shoot up shortly before he was announced?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
they generally do for winners and/or shortlisted authors. i think there was a guy somewhere who found that among the last ten winners only one had odds worse than 10/1 on the day before the announcement. Munro was 4/1, Alexievitch - 6/1, Dylan somewhere around there. which makes it likely that Yan Lianke is on the shortlist, although i'll be surprised if he wins.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

didn't the odds for dylan shoot up shortly before he was announced?

Well yeah because dudes found out and started betting. Basically whoever shoots up later today is the winner because the word is leaking out

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Who cares, read Javier Marías anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that whoever wins reacts the way Doris Lessing did when she learned she'd won 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBODHFBZ8k