Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Petty ain't dead yet: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lapd-clarifies-cannot-confirm-tom-petty-death/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

hobbesmaster posted:

Because at that distance it's the sonic boom from the bullet you're hearing

Well that can't possible be correct.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I know this from my Arma sperg days but you need special subsonic rounds to be a True Operator (and a smaller calibre)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Best Friends posted:

How is it not objectively true that a silencer makes a weapon 400m away harder to hear over the sound of a concert?

Momentum doesn't work the way you think it does. Nothing wrong with that, it's really complex.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Petty's Wiki article keeps switching back and forth lol

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if everyone DID have a gun. We'd be looking at thousands dead and wounded.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

E: on second thought, too dark, mea culpa

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

israeli SF use a deagle with 15x scope for concealable counter sniper operations in urban terrain and I think more people should start carrying those here

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saint Celestine posted:

Imagine if everyone DID have a gun. We'd be looking at thousands dead and wounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Saint Celestine posted:

No?

Look at how many people were holding their beer or just wandering around. It's not like having a gun means you instantly draw it and shoot every human in sight when you hear shots. But ALSO, it doesn't mean you suddenly become pistol-sniper man shooting the assailant hundreds of meters away in a high-rise window.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Because at that distance it's the sonic boom from the bullet you're hearing

This requires some clarification: you hear the snap of the bullet passing by or impacting around you before you hear the gunshot at that distance. If you watch the video, this is evident. Objectively, suppressed shots are much quieter than unsuppressed shots.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Either way people are gonna start dropping from freedom holes

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

lol she didxnt even try to hide her seething pettiness.

OTOH i commend her for deciding to be just as (publicly) morally bankrupt and daft as the conservatives. After all, had the shooter been Black/Muslim/Leftist, no time would be wasted on spinning this into a "how do we rid them from our glorious society" witch hunt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Victor Vermis posted:

Anybody unearthing a political bent yet? I've seen pics floating around of (supposedly) the shooter, blurry, in an anti-Trump crowd.

Like, unless this dude has a manifesto somewhere in which he rails against the evils of wore-it-once cowboy hats and and the pop-ification of country music..

It's just a pointless act of violence by a dude who didn't want for anything.

I dunno all old white guys look the same to me.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Knives Amilli posted:

OTOH i commend her for deciding to be just as (publicly) morally bankrupt and daft as the conservatives. After all, had the shooter been Black/Muslim/Leftist, no time would be wasted on spinning this into a "how do we rid them from our glorious society" witch hunt.

Those are already happening.

Never read Facebook comments from the general public. Someone literally said liberals were just as vile and disgusting subhuman trash as ISIS.

Yup, people who believe differently than you are obviously no longer human.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Knives Amilli posted:

Banning firearms accessories: morally equivalent to genocide

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Never read Facebook comments from the general public.

A self proclaimed liberterean on Facebook was telling a bunch of Puerto Ricans that Puerto Rico is not part of the United States, that they pay no taxes to the states, that that deserved no federal aid, and there is always The free market private charities.

Almost expected him to talk about the Puerto Rican diaspora.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

You think she actually cares about anything at this point beyond her own image and remaining in the limelight? I'm being serious.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 2, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

This requires some clarification: you hear the snap of the bullet passing by or impacting around you before you hear the gunshot at that distance. If you watch the video, this is evident. Objectively, suppressed shots are much quieter than unsuppressed shots.

For some reason I thought the sound from the rifle dissipated much more. Probably because all my gun knowledge is from gun nuts in Kentucky.

Here's a very cool article. Looks like the bullet would've been about as loud as the rifle.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

A self proclaimed liberterean on Facebook was telling a bunch of Puerto Ricans that Puerto Rico is not part of the United States, that they pay no taxes to the states, that that deserved no federal aid, and there is always The free market private charities.

Almost expected him to talk about the Puerto Rican diaspora.

Not sure why a libertarian would be angry about that when they consider taxation violence. That should make you guys freedom fighters against those evil Statists!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You thing she actually cares about anything at this point beyond her own image and remaining in the limelight? I'm being serious.

No, but she also can't really remain too quiet. For better or worse, she's still a big public figure in large part, ironically, because no one wants her to be. That being said, I was also about to write "besides being dumb about guns and immediately politicizing it, I'm not sure anything she said was that bad" and then I realized that was literally all she did.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lever actions and wheel guns only.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Make New Vegas a reality.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“The Iron Rose”" post="“476993839”"]
No, but she also can’t really remain too quiet. For better or worse, she’s still a big public figure in large part, ironically, because no one wants her to be. That being said, I was also about to write “besides being dumb about guns and immediately politicizing it, I’m not sure anything she said was that bad” and then I realized that was literally all she did.
[/quote]

Yeah, I just can't stop thinking, "yes she actually is that deluded to try again in 2020."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lever actions were the assault rifles of their day:

Florida, in 1898 posted:

§ 1. In each and every county of this State, it shall be unlawful to carry or own a Winchester or other repeating rifle or without taking out a license from the county commissioner of the respective counties, before such persons shall be at liberty to carry around with him on his person and in his manual possession such Winchester rifle or other repeating rifle.
§ 2. The County Commissioners of the respective counties in this State may grant such licenses at any regular or special meeting.
§ 3. The person taking out such license shall give a bond running to the Governor of the State in the sum of one hundred dollars, conditioned on the proper and legitimate use of the gun with sureties to be approved by the county commissioners, and at the same time there shall by kept by the County Commissioners granting the same a record of the name of the person taking out such license, the name of the make of the firearm so licensed to be carried and the caliber and number of the same.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You think she actually cares about anything at this point beyond her own image and remaining in the limelight? I'm being serious.

I don't, and that still doesn't make her statement morally equivalent to calls for ethnic cleansing. Doing a "both sides" between banning silencers and calls for genocide is insane.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Black powder rifles are pretty fun in a "big gently caress-off bang" kinda way and I want to do bow hunting for hoofed rats anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

I don't, and that still doesn't make her statement morally equivalent to calls for ethnic cleansing. Doing a "both sides" between banning silencers and calls for genocide is insane.

I didn't say it was. I was simply asking about her being geniune about anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why are you dipshits arguing about Hillary Clinton lmao

Is she really worth the time at this point?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

She isn't running again. She's flat out said so numerous times.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

She isn't running again. She's flat out said so numerous times.

Toxx.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

She'll be 77 by the time Trump's done with his 8 years

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

She'll be 77 by the time Trump's done with his 8 years

Pretty generous of you to think that he'll lose his third election campaign.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

hobbesmaster posted:

For some reason I thought the sound from the rifle dissipated much more. Probably because all my gun knowledge is from gun nuts in Kentucky.

Here's a very cool article. Looks like the bullet would've been about as loud as the rifle.

Also significant is that the suppressor reduces noise at the source of the shooting. All else being equal, it is conceivable that it would have taken longer for people on the ground to figure out what's going on, identify the direction of the shooting, and take cover/gtfo if the shooter had a suppressor.

But then again he ran out of time before targets, right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Celestine posted:

In a ton of these shootings there's one or more people carrying concealed and they run like everyone else because they tend to know well enough not to try shooting in a panic.

Like seriously who in their right mind would risk getting turned into mush by cops mistaking them for the shooter when they start returning fire amidst a panicked crowd, with an inadequate weapon for the job to begin with.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FAUXTON posted:

In a ton of these shootings there's one or more people carrying concealed and they run like everyone else because they tend to know well enough not to try shooting in a panic.

Like seriously who in their right mind would risk getting turned into mush by cops mistaking them for the shooter when they start returning fire amidst a panicked crowd, with an inadequate weapon for the job to begin with.
Some of the performer's crew members had guns on their tour bus but knew they couldn't bring them out because the cops might mistakenly shoot them.
https://twitter.com/Calebkeeter/status/914872808110510080

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You're all really still doing this stupid poo poo? You really can't find anything else to bitch and moan about?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Gun chat in this thread isn't going to solve anything. Most people are already set in their views and getting upset about it here where we are mostly chill isn't going to fix anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Best Friends posted:

Im not morally equating banning silencers to genocide.

Hilary, in all her wisdom ,decided a mass shooting would be a good time to appeal to the most rabid of the Left.

Which is no different than how the Conservatives will find ANY excuse to politicize a tragedy to rile their base, especially if it means appealing to hate, prejudice, and fear.

• Locked thread