Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Easily the best show of the season. It was an awful and amazing ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Didn't I wrap them in spoiler tags?

Ah gently caress it all I never do anything right here.
Forget I said anything.

Apparently you haven't gotten this the first or even really the second time, so allow me to explain:

THERE
IS
A
MANGA
THREAD

DON'T POST ANYTHING FROM OR ABOUT THE MANGA HERE, YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

he already posts in the manga thread he just chooses to post manga stuff in here because he has to

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So presumably we'll find out in a couple of years why BONEDUDE is loving up tons of kids, but so far the most of show's elements of cruelty have been mostly due to the heartless man vs nature conflict. The other cruelties have had reasons for them. Our other white whistle (in her own weird way) was cruel to our pair because of her history with her mother and out of a genuine desire to prepare them for their challenges as they descend. Nanachi killed the other cave raiders out of desire to find a way to end her only childhood friend's eternal suffering.

I doubt BONEDUDE is a mustache twirling guy who's evil for evil's sake, so what do people think his goal in doing those terrible things to the kids? I'm personally betting on a him having a son or daughter who suffered like Mitty and who he's trying to find a way to put out of their misery, or a way to transform them to regain some of their humanity like Nanachi.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I doubt BONEDUDE is a mustache twirling guy who's evil for evil's sake, so what do people think his goal in doing those terrible things to the kids? I'm personally betting on a him having a son or daughter who suffered like Mitty and who he's trying to find a way to put out of their misery, or a way to transform them to regain some of their humanity like Nanachi.

He wishes to get rid of the curse of the abyss for good, perhaps for the sake of science and discovery or perhaps for personal reasons, such as finding those stranded on their last dives if they still live, like Lysa, since she wouldn't survive if she ascended.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well he's completely covered from head to toe, and has a monster tail at the very end there, so I figure he could be looking for a cure for himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

So presumably we'll find out in a couple of years why BONEDUDE is loving up tons of kids, but so far the most of show's elements of cruelty have been mostly due to the heartless man vs nature conflict. The other cruelties have had reasons for them. Our other white whistle (in her own weird way) was cruel to our pair because of her history with her mother and out of a genuine desire to prepare them for their challenges as they descend. Nanachi killed the other cave raiders out of desire to find a way to end her only childhood friend's eternal suffering.

Remember how we were chatting all the way back at the start of the thread about how Orth society sees its citizens as mining equipment more than people? How posters were grumbling about their friends and guardians sending Riko and Reg to probable, hideous doom with tears in their eyes and proud smiles on their faces? This is where we're getting an eyeful of that attitude taken to its logical extreme. Bondrewd and Orth need to find out what's below the sixth layer, but their investigations are hindered by their staff melting every time they try to come back and give a detailed report. So they need to fix that, he needs to fix that, and it's the duty of humanity to give their all so that the Abyss might yield its secrets. Even if they're kids.

I don't think that it's some kind of government conspiracy, mind you. I just think that he's the natural outgrowth of this kind of society, down here in the dark where people don't have to pretend to be human to each other any more.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nanachi experimented on mortally wounded cave raiders.
The anime didn't show the guy missing half his body

This chapter was also originally called "Liberation of the Soul".

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor Mitty...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Bondrewd clearly thinks he's doing good, regardless of the costs. When he was walking among those children, arms raised and preaching how they could help forge a new path, he was being sincere, even if he wasn't being honest. Even when he congratulated Nanachi for surviving, he was being sincere about it in his own way.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember how we were chatting all the way back at the start of the thread about how Orth society sees its citizens as mining equipment more than people? How posters were grumbling about their friends and guardians sending Riko and Reg to probable, hideous doom with tears in their eyes and proud smiles on their faces? This is where we're getting an eyeful of that attitude taken to its logical extreme.

It's really impressive how this series created this darkly fatalistic & pragmatic society with so little effort. I think the only time they told instead of showing was then Ozen described people's view of the Abyss like a religion, and even that was done really well.

Knorth posted:

Poor Mitty...

It's okay, she's in a better place now... :smith:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wonder if Bonedrewd, which I always read as Bonedwead..., is going to be framed as wanting to strip the Abyss of it's mystery in order to assault and supplant it's role of god to this society. I know that the 'fight god' kind of thing is a jrpg stereotype, although tbh BoF2 is the only one I think of

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Knorth posted:

I wonder if Bonedrewd, which I always read as Bonedwead..., is going to be framed as wanting to strip the Abyss of it's mystery in order to assault and supplant it's role of god to this society. I know that the 'fight god' kind of thing is a jrpg stereotype, although tbh BoF2 is the only one I think of

He enjoyed being surprised by what Mitty did. I don't think he has any obsessive need for order and control beyond that you'd expect from a diligent, methodical scientist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hello i just binged the entire second half of this show in one day and

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Mordja posted:

Well he's completely covered from head to toe, and has a monster tail at the very end there, so I figure he could be looking for a cure for himself.

I will laugh for a very long time if he turns out to be another adorable bunny-person under that armour.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yeah it owns

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
EDIT: never mind, skipped a page

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Dzhay posted:

I will laugh for a very long time if he turns out to be another adorable bunny-person under that armour.

I think his lizard tail proves otherwise (unless it's just a part of his armor/suit)
He could still be an adorable lizard-person though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The manga version of the end of the last episode was posted a few pages back...

El Burbo posted:

skim it for the cool art, at least

e: like

... and judging by his eye in the last panel, I wouldn't exactly hold out hope for 'adorable'.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pavlov posted:

I dunno what you guys are talking about, that episode was awful. I actually had to stop it for a while because I hurt myself rolling my eyes. I thought I understood the edgelord complaints after this went all "127 Hours", but this is just being edgy for edgy's sake. Worst bit is I think I know this kind of author. They're just going to try to keep one-upping themselves every layer now.

I bet we find out that big laser in the base is powered by throwing bags of kittens into a wood chipper.

The layer after will just be a sea of acid where discarded kitten souls boil for eternity.

why are you always wrong about everything

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he enjoys the attention

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Sometimes people just aren't going to like an episode.

Honestly I probably gave this show too many chances, but there was just poo poo all to watch this season.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you don't like the show, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. The finale was hardly uncharacteristic though. It's a difference of a degree, not of kind.

I don't know if there's a literal god to be found in the Abyss, however it seemed that the series was making the case for the Abyss itself filling that role in society. The surface probably probably doesn't think of it in those terms but that's the niche it occupies. Blessings and livelihood are derived from the Abyss; those are favored by it become something more than human; answers to the riddles it poses are pursued with a fanaticism that thinks nothing of the sacrifices involved. A latter-day Moloch, right down to the children being shoveled into the furnace.

Made in Abyss is an odd duck that way. I'm not even sure it qualifies as 'horror'--body horror, maybe--yet there are deeply unsettling implications throughout and I feel the unexamined assumptions of the surface society are a part of that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

lol I'm glad you liked it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Bondrewd is one of the worst people I've seen in fiction, and a lot of that is probably owed to him not acting cartoonish and over the top. He might not have the bodycount of a lot of baddies, and there are people who did worse atrocities, but the way he's acting about the terrible things that he does puts him way above many technically worse bad guys for me.

He kind of reminds me of Johan from Monster, actually, even though he does have a rational reason for his actions.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So, I was thinking about what genre I'd put this in, and I'm honestly not sure. Dark Fantasy? Horror?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Maera Sior posted:

So, I was thinking about what genre I'd put this in, and I'm honestly not sure. Dark Fantasy? Horror?

I'd say dark fantasy because, despite all the terrible things happening, there's still an element of perseverance and optimism that you wouldn't find in a horror series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Command Ant posted:

I'd say dark fantasy because, despite all the terrible things happening, there's still an element of perseverance and optimism that you wouldn't find in a horror series.

That said, there is one dark, central question - what's driving that perseverance and optimism? At least two of our three protagonists have potentially been compromised by the Abyss since day one, and there's always the chance that Nanachi's mind has been affected by her transformation into a Hollow as well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't think it's horror. It's more akin to a Fantasy/Adventure story with a dark edge. Even possibly a coming-of-age story. It strikes me like HxH. Hopelessly optimistic kid embarks on perilously dangerous journey, has horrible things happen to them. Even though the tone is 90% happy go lucky, it is spiked with moments of grim reality, and there are antagonists who are not remotely child-friendly.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

m (◉人*) m

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
someone took an unused track from the OST and mixed it to the elevator scene. it's more jarring and panicked rather than emotional and sad—check it out if you'd like to be hosed up again but in a totally different tone

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

El Burbo posted:

m (◉人*) m

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

El Burbo posted:

m (◉人*) m
oh my god

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

El Burbo posted:

m (◉人*) m

(˃⋃̅ω⋃̅˂)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh no~

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What i don't see what th----

o nooo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nnaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Did the author ever mention reading I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by any chance? Because that's the closest equivalent to Mitty's condition I can remember. Does a pretty good job capturing the existential horror of it, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/nekot13/status/914863944971386880

Divershaming.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Spent the last weekend reading the manga and watching the entire series. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Reg's sign says "I ruffled Nanachi without permission."

As for Rico's sign, remember how she 'examined' Reg back at the orphanage?

Well, she tried it again.

• Locked thread