Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

BiggerBoat posted:

Seinfeld has aged really well for the most part.

The entire concept of the show was finding humor in the most mundane, every day things that people do, obsess over and get wrapped in and it was very good at it. I never even watched it until it got syndicated and only stopped because I'd seen them all but it was good, and I don't even really like Jerry Seinfeld that much as a stand up.
Does anyone? Seinfeld is one of the most beloved TV shows ever and still gets heaps of praise, but I don't think I have ever once heard anyone talking up Jerry Seinfeld's actual standup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Alhazred posted:

And yet Jesse was one of the few characters Walter really cared about.

Yes, the show really is a masterpiece. Lots of layers. Absolutely worth a second watch. There's a scene where Jane, jesses drug-addict girlfriend begs her father to let her go to treatment the next day and watching it now as a parent was really hard. Krysten Ritter was great in that role

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

honestly, people just like hating on popular media. It doesn't matter if it's a good criticism

That's kind of how I take it too but am reluctant to say it because it sounds like...reverse snobbery or something.

I'm aware of the tendency to hate on poo poo that becomes popular but I wouldn't put critiques of Seinfeld or Breaking Bad alongside legit criticism of crap like Two and a Half Men or The Big Bang Theory which have always sucked and whose popularity I never understood. The backlash feels different to me somehow if the show was popular but was never good.

As I understand the intent of the thread, it's to isolate and single out show that were once considered good and were popular but haven't stood the test of time. BB and Seinfeld are fine. Not sure where to slot the ones I listed or poo poo like Friends because I never thought they were any good to start with and I'm not sure where to draw the line.

It's like saying Three's Company hasn't "held up" when it was always garbage even though it was popular and somewhat of a cultural benchmark.

I'd put MASH in the category of "not holding up" while still being a pretty good show.

Hope that made sense.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

kinda tangential to aging poorly but in general i give most shows a bit of wiggle room for comedic and/or dramatic exaggeration, like actors ridiculously playing up their reaction to something not being a real reflection of how we're meant to perceive them as a person from our perspective as the audience - at least so long as the show's not genuinely trying to make a serious point about something lovely

even shows like fraiser, which have aged somewhat but not as poorly as most, have kelsey grammer marching around and explosively berating friends and family over tedious matters and if we took that completely straight we'd infer that he'd be absolutely horrible to deal with day-to-day since he's so consistently, unambiguously abusive but since these reactions are all exaggerated for comedic effect the show's really just conveying that fraiser is sometimes a chore to deal with but it's no biggie because his friends, family and acquaintances still love him; seinfeld was one of the first shows to admit everyone's an rear end in a top hat and none of their over-the-top reactions to anything were just exaggerations for comedic effect and boy did a lot of people hate that finale, i remember newspaper articles saying it was an outright insult to audiences to paint the cast as such villains since we've enjoyed their antics on such a light level for all these years

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Keep in mind with Breaking Bad many of Walt’s problems are unexpected consequences of his previous solutions.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Holy poo poo he legitimately is

https://medium.com/@AlexaEphemera/its-time-to-call-out-graham-linehan-s-ugly-transphobia-30b15be317a5

So it's not that the episode has aged poorly it's that the writer of father ted and the it crowd just legitimately hates trans people

Ugh. :(

I've never seen The IT Crowd, but I have enjoyed other Linehan shows, and it saddens me to think that Linehan is the kind of pseudo-progressive creep who thinks men have any business lecturing women on misogyny and feminism, or that they have any business "protecting" the delicate flower of "real women" from the fearsome trans menace. In my capacity as a "woman born woman", I would rather be in the company of a thousand trans women than one over-invested man who thinks I or anyone else wants and needs his protection.

maybe not literally a thousand, I'm not good at crowds

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest. I wish I could think of an on-topic post, but I can't think of one that hasn't been said already.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The fact that any of us feel passionately about these shows, good or bad - is a good indicator of their quality. No one loving cares about the motives or characters of Two & a Half Men or NCIS.

Although I'll fight the guy IRL who disses Friends. That writing was tight and the comic timing like a Swiss watch.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I remember liking the first few seasons of NCIS. Not in any kind of critical way, but it was inoffensive and sometimes that's all I'm looking for.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Elaine was one of the main cast and she was Hispanic

"Her ethnicity is incorrectly assumed to be Hispanic in 'The Wizard'."

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

This episode had a pretty short shelf life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's an interesting early Cheers episode that provides a lot of insight into LGBT acceptance in the early '80s. The guys in the bar find out that two of the guys sitting in there are a gay couple, so they spend most of the episode trying to figure out who the two offending gay guys to be, all the while trying to persuade Sam to kick them out. To his credit, Sam doesn't really give a poo poo and is pretty much of the opinion that a customer is a customer.

It's finally revealed at the end of the episode that the guys the bar patrons thought were gay are actually straight, and two of the patrons who had joined the gaggle of "real men" accusing each other of being gay were the couple they so feared. They were just average guys who blended into the rest of the bar crowd, but it was a bit too much for Cheers regulars to handle in 1983.

I don't know that I would necessarily call it dated, because even though there was a lot of casual stereotyping of gay men, the actual message of the episode - that gay people are normal, everyday folks - was fairly forward-looking for its time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Although I'll fight the guy IRL who disses Friends. That writing was tight and the comic timing like a Swiss watch.

It was a fun show about a fake New York that had three black people in it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is there a show about New York that isn't about a fake New York, though?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Girls on HBO

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

zakharov posted:

It was a fun show about a fake New York that had three black people in it.

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a show about New York that isn't about a fake New York, though?
Fringe was about two fake New Yorks.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Girls on HBO

This is probably the best answer which is also why people hate it so much. If you're talking about rich people at least

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 2, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Woke Lena Dunham forgot that POCs very much live in New York and that they don't even have to be filthy poors! Maybe she was just preemptively getting revenge on that meanie, fit, rich black jock who was too busy with his phone to gently caress her.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Oct 2, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Woke Lena Dunham forgot that POCs very much live in New York and that they don't even have to be filthy poors! Maybe she was just preemptively getting revenge on that meanie, fit, rich black jock who was too busy with his phone to gently caress her.

hey now that's not true, there was that episode where Donald Glover was a black conservative who called Lena Dunham a racist for assuming he must be a liberal because he's black!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Alaois posted:

hey now that's not true, there was that episode where Donald Glover was a black conservative who called Lena Dunham a racist for assuming he must be a liberal because he's black!

I kind of liked that one because she gets her rear end handed to her for assuming things because of his race. Jessica Williams was a nothing character in one season.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Fringe was about two fake New Yorks.

I thought it was fake Bostons?

Fake edit: I mean, obviously they're entire fake worlds, so fake New Yorks exist, too, but I think ti was set in and around Boston.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They constantly showed shots of the statue of liberty on Fringe so a fair bit of it took place in New York City

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's an interesting early Cheers episode that provides a lot of insight into LGBT acceptance in the early '80s. The guys in the bar find out that two of the guys sitting in there are a gay couple, so they spend most of the episode trying to figure out who the two offending gay guys to be, all the while trying to persuade Sam to kick them out. To his credit, Sam doesn't really give a poo poo and is pretty much of the opinion that a customer is a customer.

It's finally revealed at the end of the episode that the guys the bar patrons thought were gay are actually straight, and two of the patrons who had joined the gaggle of "real men" accusing each other of being gay were the couple they so feared. They were just average guys who blended into the rest of the bar crowd, but it was a bit too much for Cheers regulars to handle in 1983.

I don't know that I would necessarily call it dated, because even though there was a lot of casual stereotyping of gay men, the actual message of the episode - that gay people are normal, everyday folks - was fairly forward-looking for its time.

Also Sammy basically told the regulars at Cheers that if they were going to do a "it's them or us" thing then they weren't welcome in his bar. That may have been the same episode he was supporting his catcher (heh) friend who came out of the closet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

yea a lot of old tv around that time has at least one moment of 'actually it's very normal for an entire bar to demand the gays be kicked out for the crime of having a beer while gay' but almost always countered it with 'but the cool guy main character we're supposed to like tells them to chill out and we learn a gay guy can be a normal guy like everyone else'.

Like, you could write pages about how the whole 'gay vs normal guy' thing is absurd and still regressive and how today 'kick the gay guys out' wouldn't be something the protagonists would ever rally behind at all, but it was a really good time capsule of the seeds of gay acceptance forming and they're genuinely interesting episodes to see from that perspective. It was clearly meant a s a pro-acceptance thing but it was still so heavily framed in the language of 'real men' and all just due to the time period. That kinda stuff can be fun to watch the edges of progressive views bucking the norms and all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been watching Yes, Minister and in many way's it's aged incredibly well. It's from the 1980s but it had an episode about a Big Brother style database and it was amazing how similar it was to discussions around privacy and security around the time of the Snowden leaks and still now. However every now and then it has a drunk driving scene that's treated as funny and just a bit cheeky. Obviously that's something that was acceptable back then it just stands out all the more for how ahead of its time so many of its episodes are.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

My aunt and her boyfriend are pretty rich and live in Manhattan and any time I've visited and hung out with them and their friends I've never seen a single black person in their social groups so it's probably fairly accurate

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

However every now and then it has a drunk driving scene that's treated as funny and just a bit cheeky. Obviously that's something that was acceptable back then it just stands out all the more for how ahead of its time so many of its episodes are.

I don't know if it's possible to fully conceptualize how accepted drunk driving was. MADD (Mother's Against Drunk Driving) was considered kind of radical at first.

TV shows don't reflect it much because they were so prudish to begin with, but so many movies had characters who couldn't have gotten home without driving drunk.

I'm afraid to look up when drunk driving was considered something different than say, reckless driving.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

I've been watching Yes, Minister and in many way's it's aged incredibly well. It's from the 1980s but it had an episode about a Big Brother style database and it was amazing how similar it was to discussions around privacy and security around the time of the Snowden leaks and still now. However every now and then it has a drunk driving scene that's treated as funny and just a bit cheeky. Obviously that's something that was acceptable back then it just stands out all the more for how ahead of its time so many of its episodes are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYqB0uTKlE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm not really sure that's changed all that much.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I'm not really sure that's changed all that much.

I don't think it's a thing in general anymore but maybe it's more accepted where you're from. Here there are some very rural places where it's seen as more acceptable but for the most part it's seen as fairly terrible. However it has definitely disappeared as a thing from television. I'd be very surprised to see it on a show and not treated as an abjectly terrible thing in a drama.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Everyone in rural pennsylvania has a DUI conviction

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Like, you could write pages about how the whole 'gay vs normal guy' thing is absurd and still regressive and how today 'kick the gay guys out' wouldn't be something the protagonists would ever rally behind at all, but it was a really good time capsule of the seeds of gay acceptance forming and they're genuinely interesting episodes to see from that perspective. It was clearly meant a s a pro-acceptance thing but it was still so heavily framed in the language of 'real men' and all just due to the time period. That kinda stuff can be fun to watch the edges of progressive views bucking the norms and all.

Wikipedia has a list of 1970s American shows that dealt with gay topics. Some of them are really cringey.

The first All in the Family Episode mentioned, Judging Books by Covers, is a landmark in how it handled gay characters. Here is a good summary of the episode.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Everyone in rural pennsylvania has a DUI conviction

I have never been convicted

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Aesop Poprock posted:

My aunt and her boyfriend are pretty rich and live in Manhattan and any time I've visited and hung out with them and their friends I've never seen a single black person in their social groups so it's probably fairly accurate

Maybe they think you'll embarrass them.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
They can't get from point a to point b without going to jail in between!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Chrpno posted:

This episode had a pretty short shelf life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU
I liked the part where even the audience knew it was bad idea. You even still could of had the same joke ('lol MJ chnaged colour :downswords:', not a good joke but still) if you removed the blackface but left the guy with the white makeup.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think it's a thing in general anymore but maybe it's more accepted where you're from. Here there are some very rural places where it's seen as more acceptable but for the most part it's seen as fairly terrible. However it has definitely disappeared as a thing from television. I'd be very surprised to see it on a show and not treated as an abjectly terrible thing in a drama.

In Britain, the first anti-drink driving advertisement aired in 1964, but I don't think they really became the often-disturbing slow-mo-heavy productions we all dread seeing until the 1980s and the most famous public information films which came out around the time Yes, Minister/Prime Minister aired were more likely to be things like Apaches or Dark and Lonely Water, which were more focused on general safety for children (may not be completely right on that, though).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

How old are they?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wheat Loaf posted:

In Britain, the first anti-drink driving advertisement aired in 1964, but I don't think they really became the often-disturbing slow-mo-heavy productions we all dread seeing until the 1980s and the most famous public information films which came out around the time Yes, Minister/Prime Minister aired were more likely to be things like Apaches or Dark and Lonely Water, which were more focused on general safety for children (may not be completely right on that, though).

To be honest if more DD PSAs were like Apaches or Lonely Water they might be even more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Croccers posted:

I liked the part where even the audience knew it was bad idea. You even still could of had the same joke ('lol MJ chnaged colour :downswords:', not a good joke but still) if you removed the blackface but left the guy with the white makeup.

The irony is that they were a bunch of Indian dudes in blackface.