Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do you spend a moment in silent reflection on all the lives lost to DUIs every time you open a beer?

I don't drink :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do you spend a moment in silent reflection on all the lives lost to DUIs every time you open a beer?

Regulating the right to own a gun the way we regulate the right to drive would be a great start!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Don't I need to wait until glorious Communism destroys the wretched and corrupt Capitalist system before I can give up my guns? I mean how else is this revolution supposed to go down?

In seriousness, gun-owner, totally cool with registering my weapons into a Federal database, or whatever people want. Also, pretty cool with banning assault rifles and other automatic weapons, or instituting a buy-back program for them. Beyond that I'd still like to have the right to own a handgun or shotgun to satisfy my home defense paranoia.

From now on all automatic weapons are stored in a community militia range where owners can go to safely fire their weapons away from the public. The people with access or in charge of acting as custodians for these weapons would individuals of trust and confidence within the community, weapons would not be allowed off the range for anything other than the most dire of circumstances.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 2, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Dead Reckoning posted:

You do know that stuff like this is self-evidently stupid, right?

Alcoholic drinks can lead to DUIs, but that isn't their purpose. Their purpose is to cause a specific set of feelings/state of mind. The object of drinking is not to actively harm anyone (except yourself since it causes health problems but that's neither here nor there). You can also cook with beer or wine or whatever.

A car can be used as a weapon, but it isn't built for that. Its general intended use is to not hit things but instead just to get you from point A to point B and to maybe help you carry some stuff.

Even a knife has plenty of uses that aren't related to causing violence - opening poo poo, chopping vegetables, whatever.

Guns are categorically different than almost anything else in that their intended purpose is exclusively to either cause harm to a living being or to be used in simulating the harm of a living being via target shooting. A gun is owned with the knowledge and expectation that it can and is designed to hurt someone. No one owns a gun to help them make dinner or fix the deck.

There are arguments against gun control, but "other things can kill people too" is not one of them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Does anyone else think that the real killer might not be the guy found dead in the hotel room? I can't begin to think of a motive for this guy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Read Mark Ames' book Going Postal.

Mark Ames is a bit of a poo poo.

I'm not going to recommend pirating the book because it's frowned upon in these parts.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Flayer posted:

Does anyone else think that the real killer might not be the guy found dead in the hotel room? I can't begin to think of a motive for this guy.

lol ok alex jones

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fraction Jackson posted:

You do know that stuff like this is self-evidently stupid, right?

Alcoholic drinks can lead to DUIs, but that isn't their purpose. Their purpose is to cause a specific set of feelings/state of mind. The object of drinking is not to actively harm anyone (except yourself since it causes health problems but that's neither here nor there). You can also cook with beer or wine or whatever.

A car can be used as a weapon, but it isn't built for that. Its general intended use is to not hit things but instead just to get you from point A to point B and to maybe help you carry some stuff.

Even a knife has plenty of uses that aren't related to causing violence - opening poo poo, chopping vegetables, whatever.

Guns are categorically different than almost anything else in that their intended purpose is exclusively to either cause harm to a living being or to be used in simulating the harm of a living being via target shooting. A gun is owned with the knowledge and expectation that it can and is designed to hurt someone. No one owns a gun to help them make dinner or fix the deck.

There are arguments against gun control, but "other things can kill people too" is not one of them.

if you banned guns this guy would've just got everyone at the concert drunk and then the ensuing dui-pocalypse would have you howling for a new age of prohibition

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Flayer posted:

He was a real estate millionaire so I can think of one motive. (what happen when you take money away from the rich?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flayer posted:

poo poo like this doesn't have a rational motive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Mark Ames is a bit of a poo poo.

I'm not going to recommend pirating the book because it's frowned upon in these parts.

Oh yeah he's a horrible person but a good analyst, especially of how spite drives Americans

Also libraries exist

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

In my ideal world the 2nd amendment gets changed to allow for some restrictions so the people who want things to be literally interpreted can't whine.

Do we even know what weapons he was using?

don't believe they've released specifics but i do believe they've specifically said some of the 10-20 guns were full automatic

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

In my ideal world the 2nd amendment gets changed to allow for some restrictions so the people who want things to be literally interpreted can't whine.

In my ideal world the 2nd amendment is completely repealed and we just take everyone's guns without buyback because this situation has gotten loving ridiculous.

I am willing to compromise down to buyback + only hunting rifles however I will not be happy about it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

that you view mass murders as the equivalent of crackin' open a cold one with the boys is shockingly explanatory

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/914953579257090048

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

don't believe they've released specifics but i do believe they've specifically said some of the 10-20 guns were full automatic

That would be pretty amazing if true. Historically speaking it's very very rare for fully automatic weapons to be used in incidents like this, or at least rare for legally purchased ones to be.

That would really sink my financial crisis / gambling losses theory. If he had 20 legally purchased full auto weapons he had plenty of money by almost anyone's standard. Bizarre. I guess that still leaves "mail order bride left him."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That would be pretty amazing if true. Historically speaking it's very very rare for fully automatic weapons to be used in incidents like this, or at least rare for legally purchased ones to be.

That would really sink my financial crisis / gambling losses theory. If he had 20 legally purchased full auto weapons he had plenty of money by almost anyone's standard. Bizarre. I guess that still leaves "mail order bride left him."

If you're wealthy you can easily be underwater with no hope of financial escape with your lifestyle intact and also still able to play with your expensive toys and charge a vacation or two.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

If you're wealthy you can easily be underwater with no hope of financial escape with your lifestyle intact and also still able to play with your expensive toys and charge a vacation or two.

Yeah that could be it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean you can't also be in absolutely staggering amounts of debt and facing bankruptcy or loss of your lifestyle/status. Hell, he might have even paid for those guns with more debt.

Obviously we're all reading the tea leaves here until some substantial info is released but "had an expensive gun collection" and "facing financial ruin" (by his standards) aren't mutually exclusive

e: fb

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol i mean yall gun nuts can still have crossbows so who cares. relax and just give em up

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no, he had 10-20 (now confirmed to be 17+) and of those, "some" were fully automatic. maybe one, maybe 3, but not all of them, and it also may not be legally purchased as opposed to all of the wink wink nod nod ways that gun nuts have been making it easy to modify a gun to be fully automatic

people have also said that based on the audio it appears pretty certain the gun used was fully automatic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
God drat you morons for "debating" LeJackel and Dead Reckoning. They are both noted mentally ill gun nuts who will one day mysteriously not show up to defend a mass shooter because they were the shooter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
On another note, RIP worker's rights and class actions. Kennedy says everyone can all just hire the same lawyer separately and it's basically as good as class actions, right?

quote:

Justice Anthony Kennedy, often the swing vote in major cases, asked questions that signaled sympathy to employers, as did two fellow conservatives, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito.

Kennedy indicated that a loss for workers would not prevent them from acting in concert because they would still be able to join together to hire the same lawyer to bring claims, even though the claims would be arbitrated individually. That would provide “many of the advantages” of collective action, Kennedy said.

If the workers win, “it seems to me quite rational for many employers to say, ‘Forget it, we don’t want arbitration at all,'” Kennedy said.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

as for the shooter, apparently he was wealthy as gently caress, happy, retired, had a girlfriend, etc

he was p much living the dream, and decided to murder a poo poo ton of people cause who the hell knows why

He was in Vegas. Why do people go to Vegas? To get their kicks engaging in a little decadence.

The rich don't view the rest of us as anything more than livestock. He was hunting for pleasure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Turns out I'll have one reason to celebrate when Kennedy dies. Now I hope it hurts and that he's afraid.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

business hammocks posted:

Turns out I'll have one reason to celebrate when Kennedy dies. Now I hope it hurts and that he's afraid.

not if he dies in the next three years you won't

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also even if kennedy's idiot solution worked they'd just ban that in the agreements, obviously

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

not if he dies in the next three years you won't

I have many reasons to fear his death. This is just one line satisfaction that will drift through the panic, as he didn't do any good when it mattered.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

On another note, RIP worker's rights and class actions. Kennedy says everyone can all just hire the same lawyer separately and it's basically as good as class actions, right?

Junking arbitration is good, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Junking arbitration is good, though.

yes, but kennedy is arguing against that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

everyone's cool with conflict waivers right

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

A few more forlorn bubbles sadly floating to the surface of the scummy water in which Capital has been drowning Labor.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh no! No arbitration exploits! Good on you for catching that one mr. Kennedy!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

LeJackal posted:

A few more forlorn bubbles sadly floating to the surface of the scummy water in which Capital has been drowning Labor.

It seems like it would be hard to simultaneously believe the government should nationalize the means of production and the government is too incompetent to regulate firearms or the threat of government tyranny is too dire to disarm the population.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

JeffersonClay posted:

It seems like it would be hard to simultaneously believe the government should nationalize the means of production and the government is too incompetent to regulate firearms or the threat of government tyranny is too dire to disarm the population.

Its almost as if he is a disingenuous piece of poo poo :thunk:

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 3, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

He was in Vegas. Why do people go to Vegas? To get their kicks engaging in a little decadence.

The rich don't view the rest of us as anything more than livestock. He was hunting for pleasure.

Most rich people don't want to die because, well they are rich and can afford to do cool, fun stuff with their money. Its why we are speculating that maybe he was facing financial ruin and decided to take a lot of people out before shooting himself. Lots of formerly-rich people have killed themselves rather than become one of the poors.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*rushes to the scene of the bloodiest mass shooting in history*
"Oh God so much pain and hurt, I must comfort the victims"
*cradles the arsenal that did this*
"Shhhh shhhh, don't cry don't cry. Did the liberals' mean words hurt you, shhhh, I'll never let anything hurt you again, that's right my sweet precious guns. Everything will be okay.
"The most important thing now is to find these orphaned automatic weapons a good home!"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 3, 2017

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Discussion Quorum posted:

Hell, he might have even paid for those guns with more debt.

An angry white man indiscriminately killing with a stockpile of guns purchased on credit.

It's the most American thing I can think of :911:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

evilweasel posted:

no, he had 10-20 (now confirmed to be 17+) and of those, "some" were fully automatic. maybe one, maybe 3, but not all of them, and it also may not be legally purchased as opposed to all of the wink wink nod nod ways that gun nuts have been making it easy to modify a gun to be fully automatic

people have also said that based on the audio it appears pretty certain the gun used was fully automatic

A bit old but footage of the shooting from the crowd's perspective was on Fox and Friends and yeah, it's definitely either an automatic or was modified to effectively be so. You could literally hear the guy firing rapidly in the distance as the crowd panicked (and one dude holding a plastic cup of beer just kind of sedately meandered away from the mass murder).

It's pathetically easy to get around the restrictions to have automatic weapons in the US too. Especially in some states, and doubly so if you're willing to buy the parts to do it yourself. So having 20 automatic weapons or whatever isn't really a status symbol as much as it is a "this guy is a gun nut" symbol.

Edit: For those that aren't educated on the issue, if you want to see what I mean about how easy it is to mod out a single shot rifle to effectively have the fire rate of an automatic weapon then youtube bump stock rifles being shown off.

Fun fact about that particular mod too. The ATF considers them to be legal. The only reason one model of bump stock was banned was because they submitted false specs to the ATF for appraisal and then tried to fake them out by selling an entirely different model under the fake model that was approved by the ATF.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Condiv posted:

jesus christ lejackal

is there any situation you would ever support gun control?

I can think of one.

• Locked thread