Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well gently caress. time to see if i am hosed.
Everyone in the U.S. is hosed by Equifax hack.

Not even joking. Best to just hope they pick someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I went to a coworkers house for some drinks this weekend, and when I was drunk one of my coworker's 8 year old son challenged me to a race in some sonic racing game on like ps3 or 4 or something. I had never played it before and I was pretty drat drunk, but I kicked that kids rear end both times. I was really proud of myself.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The Chicago Marathon is this weekend and CPD are falling over themselves today to say they're ready. Bullshit. You can't plan for this.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Did they rename the suck zone to trump thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh no I started kistednigg to old Nintendo songs

dark world a long to the past theme is amazing

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

or in another way

shut the gently caress up phi

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
US more likely to outlaw tall buildings after this than they are to pass any meaningful gun laws.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the correct definition of terrorism is whatever is most politically expedient for someone at the time

also anything anyone brown does ever

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zyla posted:

piggybacking here, the definition of terrorism is actually an unsettled question and is of extreme debate amongst terrorism scholars. My terrorism professor who worked at the pentagon told us the first day if we could come up with a definition of terrorism that everyone could agree on, that person would likely win a nobel prize for it

god bless that person who does, because then all the issues would have actually been addressed with regards to both experience and legality :patriot:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

doesn't terrorism require a political objective or goal

So what if he did it to spur legislation on gun control? Would that make it more or less likely to happen?

I'm thinking his actual motive, if any, is irrelevant to the gun debate.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

piggybacking here, the definition of terrorism is actually an unsettled question and is of extreme debate amongst terrorism scholars. My terrorism professor who worked at the pentagon told us the first day if we could come up with a definition of terrorism that everyone could agree on, that person would likely win a nobel prize for it

MUSLIMS

I'll take my prize in bitcoins please

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

The Legal Definition of Terrorism Armchair Quarterback has logged on.

Sorry folks, these people who were pinned down by the concrete dividers, screaming in hysteria as bodies drop around them, as per their experience, did not deal with terrorism, because the legal definition basically lets me slide it into another category so the goal posts can be moved and different set of ideas and parameters can be attacked, so we can go ahead and misdirect the line of argument, bing bong so simple.

Oh right, gently caress the victims by the way for being terrorized when its not the legal definition of terrorism, they should have been downgraded to "just really really scared."

your posting is terrorism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kaleedity posted:

he's not a terrorist, but my local paper is talking about increased security for future sports games and fairs already

we're more than 2k miles away from vegas

cool thatll help prevent people from shooting you from a block away and like thirty stories up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this poo poo is sooo good https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sslj06K-Nlw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Duscat posted:

i was like "yeah, the pentagon would be interested in stretching the definition" so i went and googled at what the current definition of this and came up with this list that includes it

https://www.thoughtco.com/definitions-of-terrorism-3209375

offered without furthered comment because i think i've said my piece and i hate arguing the prescriptivist side on any language issue, i just think this particular meaning of this word is important

:hai:

its really easy to twist the legality so that you can exercise some specific jurisdiction which is the scary part.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
posting is theft

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
i told my yearbook that i wanted to be sonic upon growing up

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

euphronius posted:

oh no I started kistednigg to old Nintendo songs

dark world a long to the past theme is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpneomNT6CI

this is the best video game song of the 80s

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/915008795755114497

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I went to a coworkers house for some drinks this weekend, and when I was drunk one of my coworker's 8 year old son challenged me to a race in some sonic racing game on like ps3 or 4 or something. I had never played it before and I was pretty drat drunk, but I kicked that kids rear end both times. I was really proud of myself.

my daughter will not even face me at mario kart, coward.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Phi230 posted:

your posting is terrorism

is that the new word kids are using these days

yo check out this mixtape, its mad terrorism :twisted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

that's really really good

how bout this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdos9sbYjs

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sir Tonk posted:

that long buildup and then drop at 6:30 is so damngood

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

is that the new word kids are using these days

yo check out this mixtape, its mad terrorism :twisted:

teh hypernormalization meme

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

safely sodomized posted:

i was utterly obsess with dylan from like 18 to 22 and if he were to die id probably enter a legit a depression for a month or so, even though hes actually kind of an rear end in a top hat. not sure theres any art more important to me than his music, despite barely listening to it any more

I was legitimately crushed when I heard. Petty was a huge part of my teenage years and I was born in the loving 80s. The earth lost a really good and cool musician today. :smith:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

US more likely to outlaw tall buildings after this than they are to pass any meaningful gun laws.

outlaw trump tower

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bump_fn posted:

teh hypernormalization meme

hypernnormalize my terorrism in the negholee

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thatim posted:

Head canons should also be banned imo.

headcanon is as far as i can tell just what children call their close reading inferences and extrapolations

those are cool and encouraging young folks to engage closely w their cultural matter is good

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lmfao gently caress everything

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
im going to do it

i am going to post a bill mitchell tweet

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

what did he get kicked off twitter for?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Oh God.

Where's Turdfuzz? Did they take him!?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Agrajag posted:

lmfao gently caress everything

its time for some game theory *performs a flawless no tool speedrun of sonic 2*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

that long buildup and then drop at 6:30 is so damngood

yeah that poo poo is nuts

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted:

it creeps me out a lil that literally no woman of the right, from nazis to clintons, can be posted here w/o people commenting on their appearance

I give this post a 6/10 at best but only bc of the body

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

i was like "yeah, the pentagon would be interested in stretching the definition" so i went and googled at what the current definition of this and came up with this list that includes it

https://www.thoughtco.com/definitions-of-terrorism-3209375

offered without furthered comment because i think i've said my piece and i hate arguing the prescriptivist side on any language issue, i just think this particular meaning of this word is important

Zyla posted:

or in another way

shut the gently caress up phi

all of these definitions require an intent to cause fear. almost all of them require the state as a target or a political/ideological motive or even just an individual criminal agenda

so this guy doesn't fit any of these 8 definitions until he has some kind of motivation or intent to coerce or a goal in general

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

if only there was someone around here to set guidelines and met out punishments for flagrant violations.......

i prefer to mention it before i act because we're adults here and can come correct

but yeah its the sorta thing im keeping an eye out for

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

No, it requires mass hysteria from an act of violence. It doesn't matter what your motives are, even if you are bored rich white man indulging in his final wish. That alone is a belief.

I think this is really the right way to define terrorism in the age of Trump.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

the correct definition of terrorism is whatever is most politically expedient for someone at the time

also anything anyone brown does ever

that's the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

god dam sir tonk you blown my brain man

• Locked thread