Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i honestly can't decide if this is a game i will like or hate based on watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i honestly can't decide if this is a game i will like or hate based on watching it

You'll hate how much you like it. hth.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i loving love dying behind cover since on their screen i'm still out in the open

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you think bad movies are fun to watch because bad movies are good, you'll be right at home here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's this hubbub about ads in China? The game F2P there?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I feel like the ingame AA settings just make the game blurry and makes it harder to spot enemies off in the distance, especially when they are hiding in foliage. At least with the jaggies, I can spot the enemy easier. When everything is smoothed out and slightly blurry, I feel like the enemies can blend in easier.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Did I get desynced here or was i simply shot in the arse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIbjkBrnyU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

willroc7 posted:

Did I get desynced here or was i simply shot in the arse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIbjkBrnyU

This looks firmly like an arseshooting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: what on earth is going on in your PUBG self defeat video, jesus lol

lmao I had to remind myself what the hell it was because I typically just upload, share it with like three people, and move on, and yeah

-at 30 seconds, I was simultaneously going through that dude's inventory and glancing at a notification on my phone when I heard the footsteps creeping up and just completely panicked and went "ehhhh, oh well, gently caress it" and just opened up on the guy, I have no idea why he didn't just lok down and spray the gently caress out of me (I was completely sober during this too)

-about a minute in, that dude was just joy riding around in his jeep the entire match I think haha

-the dude at the end? I have absolutely nooooo idea what the gently caress he was thinking, I was trying to circle back around him inside the building and when I hear the pin on the grenade you see me freeze and, uh, yeah, he just kills himself? my cursor freezes because im loving dying of laughter

edit: video in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUAPv5QS94

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ashrik posted:

I decided to play a round (it's been a while) in Asia to soothe my massive game insecurity issues. They were so kind and welcoming, and even fed me a chicken dinner

It's weird noticing how many things you miss when watching the video

Why do you ignore the guy shooting the hell out of your jeep?

And what's with the solid snake you've been spotted noise?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Good soup! posted:

lmao I had to remind myself what the hell it was because I typically just upload, share it with like three people, and move on, and yeah

-at 30 seconds, I was simultaneously going through that dude's inventory and glancing at a notification on my phone when I heard the footsteps creeping up and just completely panicked and went "ehhhh, oh well, gently caress it" and just opened up on the guy, I have no idea why he didn't just lok down and spray the gently caress out of me (I was completely sober during this too)

-about a minute in, that dude was just joy riding around in his jeep the entire match I think haha

-the dude at the end? I have absolutely nooooo idea what the gently caress he was thinking, I was trying to circle back around him inside the building and when I hear the pin on the grenade you see me freeze and, uh, yeah, he just kills himself? my cursor freezes because im loving dying of laughter

edit: video in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUAPv5QS94
Yeah what I was referring to and the most hilarious part to me, is that from the point there are 2 remaining, the game sounds like a warzone. Other dude is just emptying clip after clip. Too funny, love that he's fuckin around

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lladre posted:

Why do you ignore the guy shooting the hell out of your jeep?
I can't see him and figure he can't see me either. I had the guy behind the tree I wanted to deal with immediately. Afterwards, I saw no one coming from that direction save the dude crawling through the field who I kill. idk

Lladre posted:

And what's with the solid snake you've been spotted noise?
I spotted someone.

vvvvvvvvvv yeah man of course haha

vvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvv no

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 3, 2017

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Ashrik posted:

I spotted someone.

I'm assuming that sound was edited in during post.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
dont do the vvvvvvvv thing noone is gunna scroll up to check past posts

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a setting or something I can do to help with pop-in?

I land on the ground and the houses are still blobs loading in. If I try to walk in while loading I start floating and clipping through walls.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

underage at the vape shop posted:

I will

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Revitalized posted:

I land on the ground and the houses are still blobs loading in. If I try to walk in while loading I start floating and clipping through walls.

Buy an SSD.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Every time there are new posts I just read the whole thread again from the beginning just in case I missed something.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Revitalized posted:

What are you running on? Most (but not all) people who have these issues are missing either 1) SSD or 2) 16 gigs RAM.

Except for that one guy who killed a bunch and won a game with 8 gigs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Regrettable posted:

Buy an SSD.

Please don't buy an SSD for a single broken AF early access game

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Macaluso posted:

There are no bad reasons to buy an SSD if you are still using a HDD in 2017.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

but buy one cause if you dont you're an idiot

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I have a (pretty fast, quite recent) SSD and I still very occasionally get the buildings not loading bug.

You should still get an SSD though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
People in the subreddit are hoping the game isn't optimized. Since they didn't put any work into optimizing character models lower end players can tell when other players are around them by the fact that their FPS drops notably. :psyduck:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

You know sometimes I wish "early access" didn't mean "cobbled together bullshit".

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a piece of trash drag 'n dropped together from various assets and scripts no doubt. It also shows in how long it takes for them to implement new stuff, the codebase is probably a mess and adding something like vaulting after the fact is difficult if the whole thing wasn't designed with vaulting in mind.

Probably had to pay their way out of the poo poo performance (Epic consultants).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It's not even just that it's so janky, it's that they fix something with one patch and then break it again in the next.

If there were some kind of incremental improvement, even in tiny increments I might have some faith that it'll ever be fixed, but I doubt it.

Apparently in 2017 $4bn doesn't get you a working UI. http://www.shacknews.com/article/101511/pubg-developer-bluehole-inc-valued-at-over-4-billion

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

amotea posted:

Yeah it's a piece of trash drag 'n dropped together from various assets and scripts no doubt. It also shows in how long it takes for them to implement new stuff, the codebase is probably a mess and adding something like vaulting after the fact is difficult if the whole thing wasn't designed with vaulting in mind.

Probably had to pay their way out of the poo poo performance (Epic consultants).

Thats literally why vaulting is taking so long, they came up with the idea after they made the map. Instead of surfaces being tagged as vaultable, they are making a system that dynamically scans the geometry around you and decides if its vaultable/how your character should vault it. Testing takes time.

E: poo poo doesn't just magically get better because you suddenly had a lot of money come in. Game development is slow, you can't just snap your fingers to assemble a team, snap again to make them magically fix the game. It takes time.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

its never going to happen

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Valve please just release a PUBG clone so the monopoly ends and Bluehole feel the heat and actually get their poo poo together

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol it's never going to happen. no matter what, pubg clones will inevitably gently caress it up with stupid bullshit like talents or berries or crafting etc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
PUBG has the fundamentals down pat, even if it's full of long downtime between rounds, randomly exploding vehicles, a complete lack of tutorial or training stuff, no killcam or feedback and info, strange graphics optimisation, lack of maps, lag issues, a really racist player base, late game circle rng, interface issues, loot grabbing weirdness, loot drops in general being strange, that thing where people outheal the blue at endgame, the red zone, and some stuff I probably forgot. Even if a competitor deals with some of those it's going to have to do something better, or at least different than the basic gameplay loop, which is unlikely to happen unless some big studio puts a lot of effort behind something and does it quickly before PUBG starts getting closer to officially released.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Party Plane Jones posted:

People in the subreddit are hoping the game isn't optimized. Since they didn't put any work into optimizing character models lower end players can tell when other players are around them by the fact that their FPS drops notably. :psyduck:

I suspected this game had "lagdar." I have experienced it a handful of times, but it's not often because I have a nice machine. It felt exactly the same as when I played dark age of Camelot and I'd drive the group and could feel enemy groups incoming 100%of the time when they got close enough for my computer to start loading them in.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I suspected this game had "lagdar." I have experienced it a handful of times, but it's not often because I have a nice machine. It felt exactly the same as when I played dark age of Camelot and I'd drive the group and could feel enemy groups incoming 100%of the time when they got close enough for my computer to start loading them in.

I used to have it back in the old late vanilla wow days when I had a bitching 512MB of RAM. Very useful when leveling in STV on a PVP realm.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

tote up a bags posted:

Valve please just release a PUBG clone so the monopoly ends and Bluehole feel the heat and actually get their poo poo together

No don't I need the price of my gamescom chests to skyrocket

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

E: poo poo doesn't just magically get better because you suddenly had a lot of money come in. Game development is slow, you can't just snap your fingers to assemble a team, snap again to make them magically fix the game. It takes time.

That's true but when they can't even fix simple poo poo like defaulting to the Asia servers every time, and having to refresh the UI CONSTANTLY to load into a loving game it's pretty natural to think that they will never get things working right.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

amotea posted:

No don't I need the price of my gamescom chests to skyrocket

They're at $5 now and rising. I'm glad I held on to 13 of them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I used to have it back in the old late vanilla wow days when I had a bitching 512MB of RAM. Very useful when leveling in STV on a PVP realm.

It's not as useful in pubg, because you always need to assume someone is close by, and people move slowly and you can't reliably know what direction they are coming from. Maybe it's useful if you know the exact distance that the "chug" happens. It's probably most useful when you are looting and feel it so you can stop looting and prepare for them.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

It's not as useful in pubg, because you always need to assume someone is close by, and people move slowly and you can't reliably know what direction they are coming from. Maybe it's useful if you know the exact distance that the "chug" happens. It's probably most useful when you are looting and feel it so you can stop looting and prepare for them.

Pretty sure it brings a lot of other downsides in PUBG anyway. Back in wow it was pretty bs since I would only get this tiny hitch while the game would otherwise be smooth, and I only got this specific hitch when players of the other faction would get within a certain radius. It didn't happen with allies nor NPCs. This could be used to get ready for a fight and could even alert you to stealthed rogues trying to get the jump on you.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

WhatEvil posted:

It's not even just that it's so janky, it's that they fix something with one patch and then break it again in the next.

If there were some kind of incremental improvement, even in tiny increments I might have some faith that it'll ever be fixed, but I doubt it.

Apparently in 2017 $4bn doesn't get you a working UI. http://www.shacknews.com/article/101511/pubg-developer-bluehole-inc-valued-at-over-4-billion

That's not how a valuation works and whoever made that valuation is an idiot, but basically they did 10x their gross revenue from what they've made on PUBG so far.

• Locked thread