Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So anyone got any testing on how much different magic is on unit sizes? I really want beefy magic but bigger numbers is also better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magic's super beefy dude.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The lizardman's lore of beast shouldn't summon a manticore. It should summon cold ones, then for the upgrade summon a carnosaur.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I dunno it might be just the phoenix farts but It feels like the same problem the first had.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah those tree maps are garbage. What sort of tactics are those meant to promote?

large units still get penalties in the woods right?

plus the vision reduction

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yeah those tree maps are garbage. What sort of tactics are those meant to promote?

Forests give penalties to large units and really gently caress with ranged units too, so I guess it forces you to rely more heavily on your melee infantry?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Didn't they have some sort of fire tech they used in Atilla? They should have used that to let us burn the jungle down. It may be wet but I know the Skaven could make it work.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sedisp posted:

I dunno it might be just the phoenix farts but It feels like the same problem the first had.

Those are pretty weak which is why you get like ten of them, but there's some sick nasty spells the lords can pop off

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pendent posted:

Didn't they have some sort of fire tech they used in Atilla? They should have used that to let us burn the jungle down. It may be wet but I know the Skaven could make it work.

in the other total war game out right now, total war arena, there is a unit that can do scorched earth in roman times and just set fire to poo poo

the forest lights on fire but it doesn't spread but man would that be great here

or i dunno ice a lake

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ammanas posted:

The gently caress is wrong with CA? This is not good map design.

Not to mention the lack of map variety.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Randarkman posted:

Until you try to cast Fiery Convocation through a hole in a wall and for some reason it goes backwards

real good use of 14 winds

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 3, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I took a deep dive this weekend and played a solid 30+ hours, staying up til 7 AM and then 4 AM. Game is good.

I really struggled with Skaven initially, running Queek's campaign. I really hate the way that landmass Queek starts on makes you run all the way around the landmass to reinforce your holdings. It was a bit of a pain and maybe I'll do better with it now that I've played a lot of Malekith and upped my morale at not being *terrible* at this TW thing.

Speaking of which, Malekith, man. I really love the horde mechanic of the Black Arks and being able to recruit just SCADS of creatures from them and a home city in a single round is a massive advantage when you're defending a sprawling empire and need to load up quick if Chaos comes calling in an unexpected place. Also, just pairing him up with a Sorceress who pumps out fire weapons to his archers and an assassin to help him snipe enemy leaders makes him nonsensical once he has his dragon. I've rolled through four of my rituals and am looking forward to wrapping it up. I *much* prefer the Vortex ending and the likely 50 or so turns tops I have to get there to the notion of spending another 150-200 turns eating the map.

I liked TW:W but I wasn't completely sold by it. This is the game that's made me a fan.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

PerilPastry posted:

Not to mention the lack of map variety.

Yeah it really reinforces the 'expansion pack' feel of the game. It feels really lazy

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I don't play Hard or Very Hard, but Queek campaign is fine? Krok Gar is a jerk but I keep out of his stoush with Mordkin & Moulder and instead bro up with Zlatlan ( as much as they'll let me ). Krok Gar is pretty inclined to start beating up on Zlatlan sooner or later and is easier to deal with if he's otherwise engaged. The Island Elves are more of a hassle to deal with ( although in my last couple or attempts - I suffer from starting campaigns over rather than playing one through completion itis - Tor Elasor were content to stay put and wait for me to come over and wail on them ). With Krok Gar out of the way and two warpstone sources under my belt I'm able to catch up with the ritual game, my economy is awesome and I'm free to intervene with the slapfight up north and start to paint the map if I like. My opening move is to recruit a Grey Seer right away and start a secondary slave army to back up Queek, and by the time I've dealt with Fortress of Dawn my economy will support a third army and the ball starts rolling.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Until you try to cast Fiery Convocation through a hole in a wall and for some reason it goes backwards

real good use of 14 winds

Spells bounce off walls like a pinball. It's pretty risky and unreliable to use winds/vortexes around em.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ammanas posted:

The gently caress is wrong with CA? This is not good map design.

hmm yes. lets force the player to fight in an obscured jungle. this will be fun. removing foliage, it still looks and plays like poo poo

Tree fighting has always sucked. I don't know if how the tree tops get removed when you zoom in is new though. Even though I dislike battles in a forest, it has turned so many losing fights into easy to win fights its hard to complain.

All ranged gets nerfed and horses also? I know for sure ranged units suffer penalties.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There was a remove foliage in local option in tw1 too.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
The thing about the forests map is that they would be pretty fun to play if it wasn't for the complete blindness of all those trees. Like how is the proximity hiding thing for trees so small? Because tactically it could get interesting, my HElf archer army would get effed with all those trees.

On another note, are there any modding nerds here? I'm really curious as to what modders can do with rogue ai armies. I'm just going on a limb here and guess that the ai rogue armies are set by faction, and I am pretty sure modders can't add new factions. gently caress man... if you can make crazy rogue non-lore friendly ai army compositions then I might just take the first step and do my very first mod myself... problem is I am probably too dumb to figure it out even with tutorials. :(

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Tree fighting has always sucked. I don't know if how the tree tops get removed when you zoom in is new though. Even though I dislike battles in a forest, it has turned so many losing fights into easy to win fights its hard to complain.

All ranged gets nerfed and horses also? I know for sure ranged units suffer penalties.

iirc large units get -20% speed and something similar for melee attack

ranged units shoot things that may hit trees instead

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why can't I arrange my armies before quest battles?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Losing an entire army and then having them split off into their own faction seems like a really scary prospect if you're not prepared for it, but I've never had to deal with it either.

It doesn't really come up unexpected. At low loyalty, you'll get events where you generally have the option to pay some cost and have the lord gain a point of loyalty, or otherwise they lose a point of loyalty. So basically, unless you can't afford the cost (and only one of them actually costs you money, another is I think a public order penalty? I forget but basically it's something you can theoretically always select), the only way a lord will hit loyalty 0 is if you deliberately choose to let them.

Third World Reggin posted:

iirc large units get -20% speed and something similar for melee attack

ranged units shoot things that may hit trees instead

Yeah no direct penalties to ranged units, but because projectiles need to physically hit a unit model to deal damage, they can get caught on terrain with bad positioning. It's one reason why you really should never position artillery units inside forests, even if for some reason you want to keep them hidden - the projectiles are huge so it's really easy for them to just clip a tree and explode uselessly about 20 feet after launch.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 3, 2017

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say there's no map variety. This is far more varied than vanilla WH1. I've actually had some battles where I could use terrain to my advantage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I know in the older total wars, once a general reached 1 loyalty it was time for them to go on a very long boat ride by themselves until they died of old age.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I sent one intervention, 10k because I have so much money after dark elves and it stuck around for like 15 extra turns just razing their cities it was great. 10/10 would buy again.

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I was looking forward to Skaven the most but both starts feel like lizardman central and they're really loving boring to fight, even when I win it's with casualties so bad I have to retreat back to my territory to heal up. As Skrolk I've never even taken the Skaven settlement north with the warpstone bonus because the Itzl faction of Lizardmen just take so long to take out that by the time I have the Skaven have really built up. This game I thought I'd try allying with them and it turns out you can't confederate with them it seems, they had strength 30 something to my 1 and 200 reputation and confederation was still red.

I ended up enjoying my Dark Elf and Lizardmen campaigns a lot more than either Skaven one I've had a go at so far, this third one has gone a little better but it's still been like pulling teeth. I really just want to fight some Dwarves, humans and such as the Skaven, not loving Lizardmen and other Skaven.

This has pretty much been my experience. I can't take settlements because I usually have to autoresolve with two stacks, against half a stack of lizards, and then lose half my army. Same thing even if I don't autoresolve. It's really a back and forth campaign where I almost never take a settlement...then run out of food.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jum-Jum posted:

The thing about the forests map is that they would be pretty fun to play if it wasn't for the complete blindness of all those trees. Like how is the proximity hiding thing for trees so small? Because tactically it could get interesting, my HElf archer army would get effed with all those trees.

On another note, are there any modding nerds here? I'm really curious as to what modders can do with rogue ai armies. I'm just going on a limb here and guess that the ai rogue armies are set by faction, and I am pretty sure modders can't add new factions. gently caress man... if you can make crazy rogue non-lore friendly ai army compositions then I might just take the first step and do my very first mod myself... problem is I am probably too dumb to figure it out even with tutorials. :(

I think you can make new factions but it's a lot of work. What you can do fairly easily is add whatever units you want to a faction's roster and set the likelyhood of them spawning with those units.

So I've been loving around with this a bit I found a few things I think are bugs but I'm not sure.

Does anyone else have phoenix guards with 35% physical resistance PLUS the 5% ward save? - That seems way over the top.

Can anyone else not overcast pit of shades on whatshername the dark elf lady?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I know in the older total wars, once a general reached 1 loyalty it was time for them to go on a very long boat ride by themselves until they died of old age.

I keep it positive in my army and make sure everyone knows that I respect and value them all.

The lower your loyalty, the more exciting your mission!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

genghispawn posted:

This has pretty much been my experience. I can't take settlements because I usually have to autoresolve with two stacks, against half a stack of lizards, and then lose half my army. Same thing even if I don't autoresolve. It's really a back and forth campaign where I almost never take a settlement...then run out of food.

Get out something better than clanrats as soon as possible, I would recommend capping the first settlement at III and then going straight for the stormvermin and weapon team buildings, also get some plague claw catapults and when you have a capital at IV a warp-lightning cannon (they're super great). Also put points in the ambush skill for your lords, this lets you engage lizardman armies at terms much more favorable for yourself.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

losing the campaign despite having a strong team is a pretty skaven way to play

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Get out something better than clanrats as soon as possible, I would recommend capping the first settlement at III and then going straight for the stormvermin and weapon team buildings, also get some plague claw catapults and when you have a capital at IV a warp-lightning cannon (they're super great). Also put points in the ambush skill for your lords, this lets you engage lizardman armies at terms much more favorable for yourself.

I was playing the plague rat lord and basically made my whole fighting line plague monks and some censer bearers (I had them before storm vermin).

Rather than having the enemy lock on a line of shields/spears I use several disparate formations and take advantage of trees/hills, then I line up catapults with rows of skirmishers. The catapults and skirmishers force the enemy lines to break up and become disjointed, their cav and harassers chase my skirmishers into traps along the way and their massed infantry get torn to shreds by plague monks/catapult/magic.

The whole thing takes crackerjack timing and gently caress ups get punished hard, but it's skaven as gently caress and the ability to summon clan rats to control charges is amazing. Watching the enemy line suddenly try to react to encountering two summoned clan rat units while plague monks charge from a forest on their flank is loving awesome.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

I was playing the plague rat lord and basically made my whole fighting line plague monks and some censer bearers (I had them before storm vermin).

Rather than having the enemy lock on a line of shields/spears I use several disparate formations and take advantage of trees/hills, then I line up catapults with rows of skirmishers. The catapults and skirmishers force the enemy lines to break up and become disjointed, their cav and harassers chase my skirmishers into traps along the way and their massed infantry get torn to shreds by plague monks/catapult/magic.

The whole thing takes crackerjack timing and gently caress ups get punished hard, but it's skaven as gently caress and the ability to summon clan rats to control charges is amazing. Watching the enemy line suddenly try to react to encountering two summoned clan rat units while plague monks charge from a forest on their flank is loving awesome.

You have a replay of one of those? Sounds like it could be pretty cool. My own Skaven playstyle is much more focused on firepower, disruption and envelopment, though with relatively orthodox formations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

You have a replay of one of those? Sounds like it could be pretty cool. My own Skaven playstyle is much more focused on firepower, disruption and envelopment.

I'll see when I get home. It always feels like I only win by a whisker (hehe) and it's stressful as hell, but I think that's the general feeling with skaven.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

I'll see when I get home. It always feels like I only win by a whisker (hehe) and it's stressful as hell, but I think that's the general feeling with skaven.

Yeah. I kind of like it though. Everything has such a frantic, hectic quality to it. In the campaign I'm constantly scurrying about, raiding, fighting, conquering, betraying, trying to stave keep my food levels green, or at least stave off starvation, as well as filling my coffers with loot and extortion. In battles I am popping clanrats out of the ground, sending large groups of rats around flanks, and picking up rallied units and throwing them back into the fray as well as casting spells and microing my lightning cannons, fire-throwers and DOOMWHEEL. It's great.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I genuinely cannot get over how preposterously easy and defensible Kroq-Gars starting position is compared to Mazdas. Harder campaign difficulty my rear end.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

genghispawn posted:

What is your army composition like? The first rule of Skaven is that clanrats and skavenslaves are gonna die. A lot. But your lords have abilities that can significantly boost their replenishment rate, so it's very easy to get to the point where a unit that's nearly wiped out can be back to full strength in 2 turns. Don't worry yourself about those losses. If your army is composed entirely of clanrats/skavenslaves, they're going to lose, a lot. I don't know if the following is true for Skrolk's campaign, but as Queek you can just not engage the lizardmen at all until you've got a tier 3 settlement and thus the ability to produce some better units - they don't hate you so much that they'll just declare war on you unprovoked (if you give them an early medium/large gift, you can even score a non-aggression pact and a trade deal, although don't get used to them since if you want to expand you're going to have to break it eventually), and you can busy yourself with the elves and the other Skaven clans until then.

What you want to do is get just enough clanrats/slaves to hold the line JUST long enough that your actually good units can rain serious hurt on the enemy. Warpfire throwers will absolutely devastate infantry, globe throwers are good anti-large, your artillery is just good, period. Queek is also a really tough melee fighter - much better than you'd think he would be as a Skaven, and can easily wade into the tarpit while barely taking a scratch. Once you get to Stormvermin you'll have a more reliable main line, but your support units are still going to be doing the bulk of the work.

A few notes on other units:
-Rat Ogres are basically shock cav - don't tie them down in melee unless it's against a fairly weak infantry unit they can mop up quickly; they're better used to smash up skirmishers that your slower units won't be able to catch, or to rear charge the enemy once they've all piled up against your big wall of rats. They are also one of your few armour-piercing units so they can be helpful to crack open some of the tougher enemies.
-The night/gutter runners are really good at harassing the enemy early in a battle and keeping them distracted from forming up and attacking your main force - time you can use to hammer away at them with your artillery.
-Death runners, despite being in the same line as night/gutter runners, are not really used for the same thing - they're your can openers. They help deal with Skaven's general lack of AP by applying huge armour debuffs to their opponents, bringing them more down to your level. If you've gone heavy on artillery though, you might not need them since warp lightning cannons and catapults do plenty of AP damage on their own anyway.
-Plague monks are basically the Clan Pestilens version of Stormvermin - a tougher than clanrats frontline unit that you get for cheaper than usual. They trade the durability of the stormvermin for damage dealing potential and slightly higher leadership.
-The Doomwheel is a lot like the Empire Steam Tank in that it's a sort of half artillery, half chariot unit. It doesn't have the range of artillery but it's got mobility, so it can go around delivering lightning strikes right up close, then just rolling right the gently caress over the infantry to keep going. It's kind of a pain to use because like other chariots, you basically want it to always be moving, constantly rolling in and out of the fray to get those charge bonuses and just keep knocking them all down, which means a lot of micromanagement, but it's worthwhile if you can pay enough attention to it.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think you can make new factions but it's a lot of work. What you can do fairly easily is add whatever units you want to a faction's roster and set the likelyhood of them spawning with those units.

So I've been loving around with this a bit I found a few things I think are bugs but I'm not sure.

Does anyone else have phoenix guards with 35% physical resistance PLUS the 5% ward save? - That seems way over the top.

Can anyone else not overcast pit of shades on whatshername the dark elf lady?

Oh that makes me so happy! Can't wait for even more hosed up rogue army comps!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SirPhoebos posted:

Why can't I arrange my armies before quest battles?

Still would like an explanation

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 3, 2017

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

SirPhoebos posted:

Still would like an explanation

I think it's just part of the design of the quest battles that they want you to re-position on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At this point I've begun phasing Skinks out of my armies pretty much entirely in favor of Terradon Riders. Terradons seem to just have so much utility compared to Javeliners/Chameleons/Skirmishers.