Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
like if you think the only people in the US that should have guns are American police and American military you are loving dumb as poo poo sry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i'm going to have one more beer and be kinda drunk because i kinda can't handle reality rn

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Slamhound posted:

Can we think and pray?

depends which god ur prayin to

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

mormonpartyboat posted:

the human mind is incapable of processing directly the raw chaos of the world

it needs totems and rituals to sustain it and to preprocess it, so the self only needs small alignment adjustments before achieving relative equilibrium. these used to be explicitly ceremonial, the sacrifice of animals to ensure rains, the self-flagellation when the sacrifice didn't work. the rituals and responses could survive in a vacuum of sorts - a self-cyclical causality. but over time bits of knowledge seeped through and humans rechristened their superstitions to be Quantifiable Assessments

when we frame things that way, our processing of the world is limited to those quantifiable differences. what's the difference between sandy hook and the las vegas shootings? abstract senses of horror, that play on different fears in layers, but those can't be simply put into a powerpoint slide. and you can't objectively share that void in the pit of your stomach, or how it's different than last time, or how it will be different than next time. body count, gun count, rounds fired, these are all things you can tally, these are all things you can bottle and proof

with these shootings there's always that sense of self-doubt, of feeling somehow responsible for the shooting, of looking at one's own life and tearing apart how you, too, could be driven to it or how you, too, could lose everything from someone else in such a petty space. of wondering what wasn't quantified that could be, that should be, to save a life. and it tears at us so because the quantification is unnatural, no matter how trained we are to express ourselves in it. feeling raw hurt and anger, sorrow and sympathy, misery and compassion are all pointless - you can't speak the depths of the emotions behind the simple words. so you try to ignore that primal call and move on to what you think you can objectively change, feeling hollower with every step

Sir please. What is your order. Of you rub poop over the intercom one more time I'll call the cops.

SIR

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Thatim posted:

Okay.

Don't ask me why. Dont judge me.

But I want to hear more of this story

Also this though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

every goddamned american should have access to that machine gun on the Warthog that fires a million Chaddick sized bullets a second

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

idk what hes smoking but if you dont have tums just drink some baking soda dissolved in water and you'll burp a lot and feel better

note: this tastes horrible but it almost always cures a sour stomach

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

mormonpartyboat posted:

the human mind is incapable of processing directly the raw chaos of the world

it needs totems and rituals to sustain it and to preprocess it, so the self only needs small alignment adjustments before achieving relative equilibrium. these used to be explicitly ceremonial, the sacrifice of animals to ensure rains, the self-flagellation when the sacrifice didn't work. the rituals and responses could survive in a vacuum of sorts - a self-cyclical causality. but over time bits of knowledge seeped through and humans rechristened their superstitions to be Quantifiable Assessments

when we frame things that way, our processing of the world is limited to those quantifiable differences. what's the difference between sandy hook and the las vegas shootings? abstract senses of horror, that play on different fears in layers, but those can't be simply put into a powerpoint slide. and you can't objectively share that void in the pit of your stomach, or how it's different than last time, or how it will be different than next time. body count, gun count, rounds fired, these are all things you can tally, these are all things you can bottle and proof

with these shootings there's always that sense of self-doubt, of feeling somehow responsible for the shooting, of looking at one's own life and tearing apart how you, too, could be driven to it or how you, too, could lose everything from someone else in such a petty space. of wondering what wasn't quantified that could be, that should be, to save a life. and it tears at us so because the quantification is unnatural, no matter how trained we are to express ourselves in it. feeling raw hurt and anger, sorrow and sympathy, misery and compassion are all pointless - you can't speak the depths of the emotions behind the simple words. so you try to ignore that primal call and move on to what you think you can objectively change, feeling hollower with every step

Sir this is a nihilist Arby's....
...and you nailed it!

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

that was my face when he chose to relate this story to me as if it were great and not awkward.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

anime was right posted:

solution: give buildings guns

Universe Brain: give guns guns that shoot bad guys who try to use them (the guns)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Thatim posted:

Sir please. What is your order. Of you rub poop over the intercom one more time I'll call the cops.

SIR

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

big black turnout posted:

like if you think the only people in the US that should have guns are American police and American military you are loving dumb as poo poo sry

*ghost max weber appears in a cloud of smoke, sputtering and objecting*

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

big black turnout posted:

Ah yes. Or else the cops would shoot a lot of people or the government might surpress the vote.

*Clears throath

Lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

back when I used to work at the pharmacy I made a lot of friends of old people on fixed incomes when I told them that they could substitute dirt cheap tums for their expensive rear end calcium supplements because it's the same loving poo poo

the bioavailability difference between the various types of calcium is all marketing

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

back when I used to work at the pharmacy I made a lot of friends of old people on fixed incomes when I told them that they could substitute dirt cheap tums for their expensive rear end calcium supplements because it's the same loving poo poo

the bioavailability difference between the various types of calcium is all marketing

i only use tooth calcium

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Thatim posted:

Okay.

that's the story, except for the agonizing butthole foaming. Apparently it hurt a LOT. I guess when you mix baking soda and acid, it DOES neutralize it...eventually. it just foams up and heats up and fizzes the acid around spreading it even more. That's what I remember from science class, anyway.

That is one science project I would not want to have up my rear end. One of many, if i'm being honest.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

i only use tooth calcium

well tums is just seashells ground up so it's not THAT weird

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dayum check out that bubble butt

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

YOU A loving HAT posted:

yo one time a dude told me that he was doing just this, had wicked firehole after some meal and had the idea that if stomach acid is an ACID, he just needed a BASE to counteract it and neutralize it. So he got some baking soda from the kitchen to powder himself up down there, so to speak.

guess he never made a baking soda volcano in middle school..

this is basically how OTC antacids work i thought, though obviously those are diluted enough to ensure you aren't burping up CO2 for the next several minutes like a fizzy lifting drink

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

YOU A loving HAT posted:

that's the story, except for the agonizing butthole foaming. Apparently it hurt a LOT. I guess when you mix baking soda and acid, it DOES neutralize it...eventually. it just foams up and heats up and fizzes the acid around spreading it even more. That's what I remember from science class, anyway.

That is one science project I would not want to have up my rear end. One of many, if i'm being honest.

plz do not dissected eyeball in rear end shame

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dont post bitch miller

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

please dont mock the way i post

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think

i apologize

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

terrorism has a fairly coherent definition in the whole international political sphere, esp. with regards to actors and war and w/e, but gently caress if that will ever show up on fox news

well i think that update needs a revision because a lot a shiet has gone down in the past 3 decades and the original idea terrorism is clearly still clinging to the early 80s as it seems to be an effective definition perhaps for those in power with ulterior motives which far overweigh the damage and casualties inflicted by what has been labeled as terrorism in the USA during the 20th century - specifically i mean by using it subjegate/divide/mislead the public thru inspiring fear, or terror... What's the difference?

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Epic High Five posted:

no way it's actually acidic enough to react with baking soda

well that's what he told me, he said the mild burn that WAS occurring suddenly felt like someone had dumped acid ON him, so some kind of chemical reaction was taking place. I'm sure the foaming bit was just exaggeration, I don't think he started spewing foam like a baking soda volcano, but the pain must have been momentarily GREATLY amplified.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

terrorism has a fairly coherent definition in the whole international political sphere, esp. with regards to actors and war and w/e, but gently caress if that will ever show up on fox news

this is because Fox News is, itself, a vector of radicalization

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

feel like that header is burying the lede a little

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

its bullshit op

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Lastgirl posted:

please dont mock the way i post

I knew one who had one of those.

It was not a cool person. But that thing gave her some cred in my eyes

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/4eversincelunch/status/915046217121501184

these people i swear

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
[quote="“Apraxin”" post="“476999481”"]
https://twitter.com/infowars/status/914995938728468480
*puts on deep state christian-detecting goggles, sprays bursts of gunfire into thousands-strong crowd half a km away with pinpoint, conservative-targeting precision*
[/quote]

lmao @ infowars cucked by good old fashioned guns/christ/paranoia conservatism

wrap it up alexailures

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

strong patriots such as EHF could have saved hundreds of people if they were only allowed to use the gun known as GAUSS SAW

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

anime was right posted:

remember when nite crew posted music a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROpZSrq4Tf8

from one black moon to another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3xON2BapBY

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

YOU A loving HAT posted:

well that's what he told me, he said the mild burn that WAS occurring suddenly felt like someone had dumped acid ON him, so some kind of chemical reaction was taking place. I'm sure the foaming bit was just exaggeration, I don't think he started spewing foam like a baking soda volcano, but the pain must have been momentarily GREATLY amplified.

i choose to believe that it made a bunch of salts and they caused horrifying, wilting instant dehydration

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

anime was right posted:

remember when nite crew posted music a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROpZSrq4Tf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX1qyO4Xlr0

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Mariana Horchata posted:

well i think that update needs a revision because a lot a shiet has gone down in the past 3 decades and the original idea terrorism is clearly still clinging to the early 80s as it seems to be an effective definition perhaps for those in power with ulterior motives which far overweigh the damage and casualties inflicted by what has been labeled as terrorism in the USA during the 20th century - specifically i mean by using it subjegate/divide/mislead the public thru inspiring fear, or terror... What's the difference?

it has gotten plenty of revision, IR as u might imagine is a very very responsive field to how the world is actually working and also takes in a whole bunch of things that we never hear about like burma and indonesia and such when trying to inform on system wide definitions.

the point is that this is the field of academia and people who talk about things for a living with a high degree of specialty and the people choosing our elected officials do not care and actively spurn these people so roy moore gets elected and welp

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thatim posted:

Okay.

and that boy's name was Steve Scalise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Weeping Wound posted:

strong patriots such as EHF could have saved hundreds of people if they were only allowed to use the gun known as GAUSS SAW

to this day my highest kill count gun, I used it back when release-era bullet shake was a thing and the CARV was king

don't care

if ur gun doesn't shoot literal toasters of freedom then just gently caress right off

#SLUGLYFE SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is basically how OTC antacids work i thought, though obviously those are diluted enough to ensure you aren't burping up CO2 for the next several minutes like a fizzy lifting drink

yeah, but i guess they're IN your stomach which has a protective lining used to acid. a quick google says the neutralization does occur rapidly, but while they're interacting it can heat the mixture up quickly and the acid may fizz around and spread.

• Locked thread