Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hurr durr how did some guy get military grade weapons in America. He must've had help from the FBI. I think it was a false flag!

According to my number one news source: Independent American Federal Thinker Press...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

VodeAndreas posted:

But what... I if SSM passes then they wouldn't be treated as singles and wouldn't be able to to rort the system and steal your welfare. Demand SSM now!
To be honest, Centrelink has considered same sex couples a thing since at least 2009.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Last night family dinner with the fiancees parents led to a gigantic fight over the postal vote which was fun.

While that sucks for you personally, good on you for not letting those cockroach opinions fester, drive them into the light.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Pocket Billiards posted:

The wife's stepdad paid a visit last week. Apropos of nothing during a lull in gardening conversation he blurts out "It's okay to vote 'no'. " as a segue into a rant about how people are too afraid to bring up AIDS anymore. Then shares a funny anecdote about how his friend has threatened all family members with being removed from the will for voting yes.

AIDS is a declining illness. Australia is declared AIDS free. HIV infections are different, and the vast majority of HIV infected individuals are actually heterosexuals (predominately women) in Africa. Not to mention all people diagnosed with HIV have access to antiretrovirals from the start, rather than when their T cell count hit a certain level under old WHO policies.

It doesn't need to be said, but the wife's stepdad is totally ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about. People don't bring up AIDS anymore not because people are afraid but because it is ceasing to exist, at least in Aus, just like no one brings up polio anymore. Something to keep in mind if he's dumb enough to bring it up again.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Centrelink people seem pretty blase about your relationship status in my anecdotal experience. Was pretty much told to choose an official retroactive date for the relationship status change that was after allowances had stopped.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just saw an ad, I think it's new, where some talking head from Canada was explaining that after the law changes there, parents lost their rights, and good Christian children were forced to celebrate homosexuality

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just got the weakest anti-piracy ad. An old guy says "I want to talk to you about piracy. All the major pirating sites have been blocked. And the others have viruses and identity theft. Think about it." I'm not paraphrasing.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The best part about legal content is when they disable menus and force you to sit through trailers or anti piracy ads before you get to watch the movie

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Or you sign up to their service and your payment/personal information gets stolen.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-03/ssm-message-hijacks-tasmania-rodeo-hillside-sign/9010540

Favourite bit of the story:
Sign changed to support SSM: No worries.
Sign changed to support Collingwood: Offended.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

3 October 2017 - ABS releases first weekly estimate of Australian Marriage Law Postal Surveys received

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is pleased to release the first of its weekly estimates of the number of survey forms received for the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey.

As of Friday, 29 September 2017, the ABS estimates it has received 9.2 million (57.5 per cent) survey forms.

This estimate is indicative only as it is based on the bulk containers of returned forms and not a count of individual or processed forms. It does not include forms that have been posted but not yet delivered by Australia Post to the ABS.

ABS Deputy Statistician and Taskforce Lead, Jonathan Palmer, said weekly updates will be provided until the survey closes on 7 November 2017. Final participation figures will be available when all processing is completed and survey results are released on 15 November 2017.

Mr Palmer said:

"We hope that this update will serve as a reminder to those who have not submitted their form to do so promptly if they wish to have their say.

"If you haven’t received your form, or your form is lost or damaged, please contact us via our website and we will send you a new one.

“If you can’t access the internet, call the Information Line on 1800 572 113 (open 8am to 8pm local time seven days a week) or visit a capital city or regional form pick-up location.

“Requests for new survey forms will close 6pm (local time) on Friday, 20 October 2017.”

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If they ever sort out digital distribution and rights ala iTunes and Steam I'll happily "spend a few bucks" but as it stands I'd have to get subscriptions to Stan, Netflix, Foxtel, a FreeView device and I still wouldn't have the flexibility to watch all titles I want to watch as they air and as my lifestyle/schedule permits.

I don't mind paying for one though and I'm generally very happy with Netflix ... Although I realised recently they cycle titles in and out of their library which is inconvenient if you're like "hey they have this on Netflix, we can pack away this old DVD" and then when you go to watch it it's gone. But there's enough titles it's OK.

But it's not about any of those actual ways to fix the industry it's about politicking IP prosecution.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Eventually you'll get one company monopolising the industry and it'll be just like getting Foxtel through the internet, no doubt with similar pricing and advertising.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Liking savage garden is making me rethink that old line about absolute evil not existing. Has Abbott ever gone on record vis his opinion on dogs?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

open24hours posted:

Eventually you'll get one company monopolising the industry and it'll be just like getting Foxtel through the internet, no doubt with similar pricing and advertising.

Actually it's the other way around, right now all the content producers have decided they'd rather make the money than let Netflix or Hulu do it, so they're all splintering into their own pet services that each require a subscription, demonstrating they have absolutely no idea what it was about streaming services that got people to use them instead of piracy. Disney just started their own, for example, and are in the long process of removing their content from Netflix piece by piece.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's almost like making legit content annoying to access increases unauthorised downloads even by legit owners of the content. This happened with poo poo like Starforce. SecuROM and SafeDisc copy protection in the games industry. poo poo, look at the crap Sony pulled mid last decade with it's rootkit crap. The entertainment industries refuse to budge, though, they'll keep going down that course because they're chasing that dollar.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
rip in peace

quote:

One Nation's Fraser Anning avoids bankruptcy, cleared to replace Malcolm Roberts

Malcolm Roberts' hopes of replacing himself in the Senate appears doomed after Queensland publican Fraser Anning - the next candidate on One Nation's ticket - successfully avoided bankruptcy.

Creditors have officially withdrawn their bankruptcy petition against Mr Anning and his wife Fiona, Fairfax Media can reveal.

The move comes after Mr Anning struck a deal with ABL Nominees - a subsidiary of the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank - which launched the bankruptcy case over debts associated with a failed agribusiness scheme.

The deal means there should now be no barrier preventing Mr Anning taking up the seat, likely to be left vacant by Senator Roberts in the coming weeks. The High Court is widely expected to disqualify Senator Roberts from Parliament for failing to renounce his British citizenship before last year's election.

Senior figures close to Senator Roberts had hoped to engineer a situation in which Senator Roberts could immediately return to the upper house. If Mr Anning was elected to the seat in a High Court-ordered countback but then declared bankrupt, it would have given the party a "casual vacancy" it could have filled with anyone.

But with Mr Anning - a publican from Gladstone who attracted just 19 first preference votes last year - now believed to be in the clear there is little the party can do to prevent him entering Parliament, if he wants the job. Sources insist Mr Anning is eligible and was eligible at the time of his nomination in June last year.

The Annings are currently in the United States visiting with their two newborn grandchildren. Contrary to reports, he says he is not pursuing business opportunities in the US and intends to return to Australia.

"I am booked to return to Brisbane to hear the High Court's decision soon," Mr Anning said. "I will stand by my earlier statement to Fairfax Media about letting the High Court process take its course without any further comment from me as we should all properly and patiently wait for their considered decision to be announced."

Anning - who first ran for One Nation in the lower house seat of Fairfax in 1998, and gave the Liberals a run for their money - comes from a sheep and cattle grazing family in far north Queensland.

He and his wife have bought and managed a number of hotels throughout the state and also started their own consultancy business. The pilot has also worked as a marketing manager for an aviation company.

The couple has worked in the hotel industry in Gladstone for much of the past five years.

On the One Nation candidate page last year, Anning was quoted as saying: "We need to get Australia back on track with real people in government instead of the privileged fools we have in power now."

If Anning does take up the job he will serve the final two years of Roberts' three-year term.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...002-gyt35r.html

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
So went to a grand final party the other night and SSM came up. Of the 10 or so people there everyone bar me was voting no, the reason? "I just loving hate faggots"
I always thought they were pretty chill guys. :(

How do you people deal with this poo poo?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

StudlyCaps posted:

So went to a grand final party the other night and SSM came up. Of the 10 or so people there everyone bar me was voting no, the reason? "I just loving hate faggots"

I have a very small group of friends.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

StudlyCaps posted:

:sever:

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

StudlyCaps posted:

I live in an echo chamber, it rules

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

StudlyCaps posted:

I can't recall being in a social situation and this sort of sentiment coming up. On the other hand it comes up all the time when I must interact with The Worker.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

StudlyCaps posted:

Well i'm a goon so I don't hang around people who watch football, might not be applicable if you want a social life.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Tarantula posted:

Well i'm a goon so I don't hang around people

This also works

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

I live in an echo chamber, it rules

Yup.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have only had 2 people I know indicate they would vote no. It was inferred via liking posts on facebook, and not verbal. I would have taken them to task if it were in person.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't ask people about it cos I'm bad at confrontation :smith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

StudlyCaps posted:

If they actually said that? I'd deal with it by leaving.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah that would be the end of the party for me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

Yeah that would be the end of the party for me.

Yup, those people can gently caress right off. Make better friends.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

StudlyCaps posted:

Yeah, maybe pay more attention to who you spend your time with? I mean it's hard to imagine that people who actually use the term 'human being' haven't given you any previous indication that they are fuckwits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

StudlyCaps posted:

Serious post - the last time this happened to me was in the early 2000s at a rugby BBQ with a group of blokey blokes and I pointed out that there were three men in the room espousing their hatred of "faggots" who had all sucked my dick at least once.

I don't hang out with any of them anymore. Stupid hate is just so loving tiring.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

racing identity posted:

The best part about legal content is when they disable menus and force you to sit through trailers or anti piracy ads before you get to watch the movie

I went to watch my DVD of The Incredibles last month and, after sitting through more than 7 minutes of poo poo before I was even allowed to see a menu, said gently caress this and ripped it to my HDD and watched it from there.

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's almost like making legit content annoying to access increases unauthorised downloads even by legit owners of the content. This happened with poo poo like Starforce. SecuROM and SafeDisc copy protection in the games industry. poo poo, look at the crap Sony pulled mid last decade with it's rootkit crap. The entertainment industries refuse to budge, though, they'll keep going down that course because they're chasing that dollar.

Yeah, all anyone has to do is just loving glance at Steam and what it's done for games to see where traditional media needs to go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gorilla Salad posted:

Serious post - the last time this happened to me was in the early 2000s at a rugby BBQ with a group of blokey blokes and I pointed out that there were three men in the room espousing their hatred of "faggots" who had all sucked my dick at least once.

I don't hang out with any of them anymore. Stupid hate is just so loving tiring.

It's only gay if they enjoyed it.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

StudlyCaps posted:

I don't hang around people who celebrate the toxic masculinity/alpha male culture. I'm also gay as gently caress which provides a huge echo chamber when 95% of your male friends are too.

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
I actually rocked up after the game, I was literally playing D&D while it was on.

I think they brought it up cause they assumed I'd be on their side, we rarely talk politics. I knew some of them were dodgy dudes, but some of them I really respected.

I tried to bust their chops, but there is really no come back to I hate X minority and want to hurt them. You can try to make someone feel bad, but they just dig their heels in then. So I left soon after.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

StudlyCaps posted:

I actually rocked up after the game, I was literally playing D&D while it was on.

I think they brought it up cause they assumed I'd be on their side, we rarely talk politics. I knew some of them were dodgy dudes, but some of them I really respected.

I tried to bust their chops, but there is really no come back to I hate X minority and want to hurt them. You can try to make someone feel bad, but they just dig their heels in then. So I left soon after.

I remember being dragged to a party in Ringwood circa 2004 and my GF plus her female school mates were great people with decent opinions. Then we were at this thing and all their boyfriends and their male friends started talking about how much they hate faggots and they'd kill a poofter. I objected because I'm argumentative and overestimate my physical prowess so they called me a human being in front of my girlfriend and tried to hit me. Thankfully I was a snake like, fit person back then and managed to retreat to my car so I could text her that it was over.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Basically my point is the same as the one I make to my friends every day.

They walk among us.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

never forget

For all their attempts to play the victim and insist they aren't bigoted, it's (not at all) surprising how there is no wide-scale condemnation from their side of the people like Abetz who are unashamedly so.

• Locked thread