Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
When you highlighted the "Haven't been to the campus" and "I've always loved Miami" parts, I thought for sure this was going to be someone applying to Miami University, which is in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

I still didn't believe in any school over $20,000/yr because I didn't think I was good enough. I thought it was too late for me. I thought my financial background would hold me back. I thought my grades were too bad. That I was a failure. But then I realized something. I have a story, and a really compelling one at that.

Aren't you just precious :allears:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
No but you don't get it

He has a story to tell and get this, it's really compelling

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think one of the biggest most important moments in growing up (for me at least, and probably for a lot of people) is realizing that every loving one of the other seven billion people on the planet are living a life just as vividly detailed and intricate as yours.

Oh well, at least his tuition is the sex number so I can giggle at that :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Realistically, he has a 0% chance of getting merit based scholarships, but the good news is that since his grades are so bad and his resume so unimpressive that he has a near zero chance to even get accepted.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

I think one of the biggest most important moments in growing up (for me at least, and probably for a lot of people) is realizing that every loving one of the other seven billion people on the planet are living a life just as vividly detailed and intricate as yours

Oh for sure, I'd even go as far as to say that the "you're not special" reveal is actually a very empowering and liberating realization for most people who aren't giant self-centered babies, sorta lets you do life at your own terms kinda thing

Or in the case of our Miami loving protagonist, it would help him establish realistic goals and expectations of course

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KingSlime posted:

newsflash fucksticks there's no such thing as smart lazy people!! Being lazy is in fact being not very smart with your time on this earth and having a 2.5 or less in high school is laziness supreme

There's a difference between willpower and intelligence, my dude.

canyoneer posted:

Realistically, he has a 0% chance of getting merit based scholarships, but the good news is that since his grades are so bad and his resume so unimpressive that he has a near zero chance to even get accepted.

Depends on how badly they want out of state full-price students to help subsidize the smart ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Volmarias posted:

There's a difference between willpower and intelligence, my dude.

there's definitely different types of "intelligences" yeah but there are far too many people who push this narrative of lazy genius that makes me suspect our understanding of "intelligence" in the US is quite shoddier than it should be

our culture downplays consistent effort and willpower to a stupid degree in favor of this nebulous "ur so smart," and it isn't helping anyone

but bringing it back to the original point, a 2.5 gpa in high school is a huge sign of lack of merit regardless so if he couldn't HUSTLE his way into a better GPA in high school (high school is easy), his mentor should not be encouraging him to take loans based on the fact that he apparently shows "intellect"

SUPER EDIT: I forgot to mention, willpower is a product of cognitive processes so I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is THE definition of intellect but yes willpower, weighing out risks vs rewards, and keeping complusions in check for a bigger payout is very much an exercise of the brain much like doing math, keeping time, or predicting/manipulating the location of objects in physical settings

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can't rent an apartment because of bad credit, even though we make plenty of money

quote:

My husband and I had a beautiful home. Because of life, it's going to be foreclosed on (process hasn't started yet) but we couldn't get the insurance money from smoke damage, and can't live there because of it. We're rooming with a friend, helping him be able to actually pay his bills and hoping to save money so we can file for bankruptcy before the foreclosure.
Because of our roommate reneging life we have to leave this Friday. We're ready to get an apartment, as in we have the money for it. The problem is getting approved. His credit score is 480. He's had 2 cars repossessed, but I didn't see them on his score, that was a while ago. So we're pretty sure he can't get an apartment in his name. I have decent credit, but a criminal record so I'm out.
How can he quickly work on getting his credit up? I know it won't happen by Friday, or even by Christmas. But I don't want to rent out a house in the ghetto forever.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Can't rent an apartment because of bad credit, even though we make plenty of money

Yeah, when you commit arson, the insurance company doesn't pay you for it, dummy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KingSlime posted:

but bringing it back to the original point, a 2.5 gpa in high school is a huge sign of lack of merit regardless so if he couldn't HUSTLE his way into a better GPA in high school (high school is easy), his mentor should not be encouraging him to take loans based on the fact that he apparently shows "intellect"

I had about the same scores in high school and college, and now I'm well payed as a computer toucher at a reasonably prestigious company. I basically didn't care enough about most of my classes, but the ones I did I generally excelled in.

I'm not suggesting that he's a special snowflake that requires only the best, but people are more than GPAs and credit scores. He should definitely find an in-state school though because $70k/yr is rough even in the best of possibilities.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I wouldn't disagree with that, especially because we are shaping our GPAs and credit scores before the part of the brain that prioritizes is fully developed (I think it fully matures at 25 or so?)

With his idealism and troubling way of viewing the world, I'd suggest community college first as even in-state universities can be too much for less-prepared students and debt tacks on fast (not to mention some in-state colleges are picky enough where his GPA would be a no-go) woops he's already in community college and doing poorly there so yikes

But DEXTER and Miami and cuban sandwiches

E: sp because we are talking about smarts drat it

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

[quote="“KingSlime”" post="“476953672”"]
the part of the brain that prioritizes is fully developed (I think it fully matures at 25 or so?)
[/quote]

I'm 40 and still waiting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parents asking me to bail them out of their investment business going under

More information in the comments from the OP pretty much confirming that (don't peek yet) it's a ponzi scheme.

quote:

My parents want a loan $15k from me for the family business and I have already loaned them over $30k. I don't know what to do. I work in IT and have a high paying job making $80k a year.

My parents have done alot for me so I feel indebted to them. They have a financial background and my mom has a business where she invests money from relatives and friends. She has been doing this for like 15 years or so. I've always thought it was going well but now I have a feeling it's been going downhill rapidly.

They paid for my college and student loans OR SO I THOUGHT but 4 years ago when I was 23 I found out there was $20k not paid off and my parents asked me to pay it. I didn't think too much of it because it is my debt after all.

Then a year after that when I am 24 they ask to borrow $10k because my mom's business was not going well that year. I am a little worried now and I tell my mom to rethink her business. I give her the $10k telling her to keep it thinking how much they've done for me.

I am 27 now. A year ago my parents ask for $20k claiming it's an emergency for the business. They said they will pay me back in 8 months. I loan them the money but I am freaking out and I tell her to stop the business. They said everything is fine and just a minor hiccup.

Ok now so a month before they have agreed to pay me back they ask for another $15k emergency again but say they will pay me in a month. If I give them the money I will only have $10k left. I have loaned them so far $30k which they still haven't paid me back. If you include the amount they ask for now and the student loans that's a total of $65k at stake. (But to be fair $10k was a gift and $20k was student loans that I wasn't aware of).
I don't know what to do because my parents are saying what about all the money to raise me and college. Also they say since I'm not using my money why can't they borrow it? On top of that they refuse to tell any family/friends and also tell me to not tell anyone. Because they don't want anyone to know about difficulties in my mom's business.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Parents asking me to bail them out of their investment business going under

More information in the comments from the OP pretty much confirming that (don't peek yet) it's a ponzi scheme.

Sending me to bed with a BWM boner

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

KingSlime posted:

there's definitely different types of "intelligences" yeah but there are far too many people who push this narrative of lazy genius that makes me suspect our understanding of "intelligence" in the US is quite shoddier than it should be

our culture downplays consistent effort and willpower to a stupid degree in favor of this nebulous "ur so smart," and it isn't helping anyone

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. There's a romanticizing of "genius" and it's pushed by TV/movies, and it lets people off the hook on both sides of the supposed genius spectrum. Anyone that's good at something at an high level has dedicated serious amounts of time to get there.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

Manicpost incoming:
because I didn't think I was good enough ... I thought my grades were too bad. That I was a failure.
His initial thought was correct.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paternity suitor posted:

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. There's a romanticizing of "genius" and it's pushed by TV/movies, and it lets people off the hook on both sides of the supposed genius spectrum. Anyone that's good at something at an high level has dedicated serious amounts of time to get there.

I've said it plenty of times; one of the worst things you can do to a child is tell them that they're 'gifted'.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've said it plenty of times; one of the worst things you can do to a child is tell them that they're 'gifted'.
The solution to that is to join the military, where being gifted will not help you whatsoever.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hoodwinker posted:

The solution to that is to join the military, where being gifted will not help you whatsoever.

It does help you become disillusioned faster :v:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

It does help you become disillusioned faster :v:
That will be an important lesson.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But what if my gift is scrubbing toilets and burning barrels of poo poo with gasoline? Check mate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

[quote="“Inescapable Duck”" post="“476973565”"]
I’ve said it plenty of times; one of the worst things you can do to a child is tell them that they’re ‘gifted’.
[/quote]

Yeah, in my experience a lot of burnouts were "gifted." Some people manage to turn it around either because they're gifted enough to make up for no motivation or they just see where their life is going and say "gently caress that."

Source: I was a burnout, my friends were burnouts. One of them is now an aeronautics engineer. Is that the term?

Some people take much better to college than K-12.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Serious post book recommendation - "The Art of Learning" which is written by kind of a douchebag, but explains how showing promise in something is so easily turned into fragile personas that crumble under any significant adversity. Definitely a good read so far.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Motronic posted:

Manicpost incoming:

Trying to afford attending my DREAM school, the University of Miami. Any thoughts, suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My advice was going to be "go back in time and live in Florida" but The U doesn't have reduced rates for in-state versus out-of-state :stare: $47k plus almost 20k in estimated room, board, other fees....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

My advice was going to be "go back in time and live in Florida" but The U doesn't have reduced rates for in-state versus out-of-state :stare: $47k plus almost 20k in estimated room, board, other fees....

It also doesn't take people who barely graduated high school, so there's that too.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Source: I was a burnout, my friends were burnouts. One of them is now an aeronautics engineer. Is that the term?

Talk about title inflation... just because he gets high all day doesn't make him an aeronautics engineer.

:v:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Guinness posted:

Talk about title inflation... just because he gets high all day doesn't make him an aeronautics engineer.

Counterpoint: a pothead with weed but nothing to smoke it with will engineer circles around NASA.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BigDave posted:

Counterpoint: a pothead with weed but nothing to smoke it with will engineer circles around NASA.

So true, if we can just convince some engineering potheads that Mars is made of weed we'd have a Martian colony by the end of the year.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Suprfli6 posted:

There was a big reason that I stopped looking at UofM and went to UCF instead. (Bright Futures and they also offered a sweet sweet scholarship).

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep hoping the Miami guy is just a well-played reference to http://www.theonion.com/article/man-has-alarming-level-pride-institution-left-him--53736

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Guinness posted:

Wow, sexist. Just assuming women don't go into STEM fields?

Good joke, though.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wow, sexist. Just assuming women don't go into STEM fields?

Good joke, though.

How would you get high if it's just stems and not sticky, though? :420:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/73t94p/i_think_my_apartment_is_stealing_money_from/dnswxo5/?context=3
I think my apartment is stealing money from people by claiming false electricity overages (self.legaladvice)
submitted 12 hours ago * by noobtablet9
46 commentssharereport

quote:

Before I move in I was warned about overages every month so I took precautions for it, everything is unplugged unless it's being used, I rarely use lights because of good natural lights.
Despite having everything unplugged when not in use, I'm being charged a $50 overage (on top of $30 that was already paid) for electricity.
There is absolutely no way I've used that much electricity. I have a roommate who (likely) doesn't unplug everything in his room but again there's no way that would charge us $50 more. (I'm assuming he also has $50 more tacked on, making it $100 from the both, meaning they're either charging twice of they split a $100 overage)
I've talked to some other people at the apartment and all of them are having the same issue. What can I do about it?
Edit: Everyone who lives here is a college student, I think we're being taken advantage of because of this
Edit 2: The apartment is across the street from my college campus, in Alabama, if I need to give a name I can.
Edit 3: it appears that I should have posted on /r/financialadvice instead, AC is more expensive than I thought. Thanks everyone, I'll leave this up so that others can see it. When I get home I'm setting the AC to 78 and talking with my roommate
Edit 4: Deleted some comments because they're being heavily downvoted for no reason. I NEVER SAID AC TAKES COST LESS/TAKES LESS ENERGY WITH LESS PEOPLE LIVING THERE. I said, assuming the AC cost is the same for a household of 2 and a household of 5, how are the energy bills for the 2 double that of the five. No more bullshit analogies to explain something that was never in question, please. It's pathetic that you can't talk through misconceptions without being downvoted to hell for being wrong. If I was totally sure of everything and always right, I wouldn't be posting here!
Guy explains in a comment that he keeps his thermostat at 69 degrees 24x7. Yeah, of course it's expensive.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

But DEXTER and Miami and cuban sandwiches

I'm still grinning over Dexter being one of the top reasons he loves Miami. I mean, I can't even...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/73t94p/i_think_my_apartment_is_stealing_money_from/dnswxo5/?context=3
I think my apartment is stealing money from people by claiming false electricity overages (self.legaladvice)
46 commentssharereport

Guy explains in a comment that he keeps his thermostat at 69 degrees 24x7. Yeah, of course it's expensive.

Real disappointed that he doesn't keep it at 69 degrees 4x20 instead

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Real disappointed that he doesn't keep it at 69 degrees 4x20 instead
nice

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ixian posted:

I'm still grinning over Dexter being one of the top reasons he loves Miami. I mean, I can't even...

I love the beaches, the nightlife, the serial killers, you know, the good stuff.

I also love Miami because GTA : Vice city was fun.

These are all valid points to spend $69k a year.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

canyoneer posted:

46 commentssharereport

A reply in that thread from the OP

quote:

I will watch it but I want to clarify, I never open windows. But in the winter if I want to be colder in the house, opening one seems like a good idea

He seems to be missing some fundamental knowledge about some very basic things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, so his wife was the complete disaster of a partner? Because I'm sensing this is a many sides kind of argument.

Yeah, it's silver now. I know this because Fox News runs SILVER IS THE NEW HOTNESS commercials all the time. I'm a little amazed Fox News viewers tolerate scams and predatory financial ads.

Tolerate it? They're the target audience!
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con