Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008

Yeah I get all that, and once I got some Stormvermin and such it's not as bad, but with Queek it's a real uphill climb to get there. Especially if the lizards declare war on you first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Assassins arent as great at assassination in battle as I thought. On the strategic map, they are great because you get tons of ways to crank up their assassination chance and it is refreshing to clear a path after dealing with enemy agent spam for so long.

On paper, they should be effective but they are squishy and take a lot of micromanagement. My way of using them in combat is to stealth them, have them sneak around the enemy's line and beeline for their casters or flimsy lords. He gets a nice speed/charge bonus and I like giving him a potion of speed on top of that.

Something else I want to look at is having an army that has an engineer with 3 points in Sapper. For dwarves, +15% speed on missile units isn't that great because their base speed is pretty low. But I'm guessing for Skaven ranged units include their skirmishers and combined with the +10% movement research upgrade results in a really zippy pack of rats that might be able to kite slower cavalry or monsters around. This could be especially good vs Lizardman as you can cause their dinos to rage out then kite them across the map where they are too far away to do anything for most of the battle.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
People who are having issues with Skaven- what difficulty are you on? I basically always play on hard and am sort of confused at the issues you're having. I want to be sure you're not playing on very hard or something before spouting off with advice that may not apply.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pendent posted:

People who are having issues with Skaven- what difficulty are you on? I basically always play on hard and am sort of confused at the issues you're having. I want to be sure you're not playing on very hard or something before spouting off with advice that may not apply.

I had trouble with every faction bar skaven. I think your brain either likes them or it doesn't. You need to be willing to sacrifice the chaff and shoot your own guys in the back or whatever. The economy didn't make sense until I started to raid and made a couple of quarter/half stacks that could cruise around engaging in assholery. Basically the more things you do with skaven that seem like dick moves, the better you're playing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I play Skaven on hard and half clan rats / half plague catapults facerolls everything as Queek.

Just make sure you get the red tree bonuses for both and engineers when available (replace catapults, since they are a force multiplier). Prioritize clan rat buffing tech.

My opponents usually outnumber me but it doesn't matter, I'll end up with a 10 to 1 kill ratio.

Edit: Don't replace too many catapults with cannons. It isn't a straight upgrade, you gain damage but lose a lot of disruption.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 3, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Pendent posted:

For me it was whiplash going from a passive race like dwarves to a numerous squishy race. I didn't enjoy Skarsnik as much as other people did, and I think if people did well with him they'd do well with Skaven because the principles are the same. Thematically I like the mad scientist Rats the artillery and magic are satisfying to use but my micro skills are lacking and as Skaven you tend to juggle more units than other races. Then there's the fact that they rally so much so it feels like you're constantly redirecting and micromanaging to eke out a win.

Don't get me wrong, they are fun, it is just a polar opposite playstyle than I am used to.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Skaven economy is great. I raid mostly for food, not the income. That flooble-crank building chain really puts your economy into overdrive.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I play Skaven on hard and half clan rats / half plague catapults facerolls everything as Queek.

Just make sure you get the red tree bonuses for both and engineers when available (replace catapults, since they are a force multiplier). Prioritize clan rat buffing tech.

My opponents usually outnumber me but it doesn't matter, I'll end up with a 10 to 1 kill ratio.

Edit: Don't replace too many catapults with cannons. It isn't a straight upgrade, you gain damage but lose a lot of disruption.

I'm gonna try this on my next Queek attempt. I'm curious, do research and lord skills apply to menace below/vernintide summoned Clan Rats?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I'm gonna try this on my next Queek attempt. I'm curious, do research and lord skills apply to menace below/vernintide summoned Clan Rats?

It doesn't look like lord skills do. Tech probably does, mine have a defense bonus but no extra attack.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 3, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

KPC_Mammon posted:

It doesn't look like lord skills do. Tech probably does, mine have a defense bonus but no extra attack.

I guess it would get kind of OP if it did, since Queek can potentially get something like FIFTEEN uses of Menace Below lol.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Oh, forgot to mention, I use the starting rat ogres and warp fire throwers to attack flanks once the remains of the enemy army hits my anvil. Actual line combat doesn't last long, you just need to make sure you have enough clan rats to not get flanked.

I use shield clan rats, haven't decided if I like swords or spears better.

Do keep in mind that you can target the ground with your artillery. You can clean up large groups that meet your line that way.

I killed the lizardman legendary lord while he was defending a city and had the extra garrison forces with this army composition. I had one stack.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skaven become ludicrous when you can just execute a rear charge or disable artillery at will by pushing your "more dudes" button over and over and over. It's especially great in sieges when you just poop out a bunch of rats on the point/other gate and watch the AI start flipping its wig.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Whats the command to target ground with artillery? That's useful to use; I noticed that some enemy units actually try to dodge the catapult shots which I hadn't previously seen. I know they used to avoid bombardment spells (unless engaged in melee) but I saw skins actually run back and have the catapult shots whiff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Turns out the garrison from a waystone generator can basically hold off an entire stack of skaven

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 3, 2017

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Turns out the garrison from a waystone generator can basically hold off an entire stack of skaven

What did you do to manage their artillery? Honestly Skaven are easy mode as HE but the artillery pieces mess up your army sooo bad.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Auto resolve heavily disfavor Skaven when you only have clanrats and slaves. Play the battle yourself, with a few menace below I easily won all battles that were supposedly 90% stacked against me in my campaign.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jum-Jum posted:

What did you do to manage their artillery? Honestly Skaven are easy mode as HE but the artillery pieces mess up your army sooo bad.

Vanguarded the reavers off and to the side then had them charge the second the infantry got far enough away.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I have a hard time getting heroic victories in this game. Either I beat them with my army intact, in which case it's Decisive, or I get chewed up (which means the army needs to replenish for two turns, and maybe replace a couple saurus), and get Pyrrhic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, I guess Loyalty is just a joke for Dark Elves. By mid game, I had enough elfservants to give five to every lord if that were possible. Even just one leaves them pretty much permanently at 9-10 loyalty, and I would keep getting another elfservant every couple turns! Sometimes I even got 2-3 at once!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any way to screw up the Warp-shard armor quest for Queek? The quest chain is no longer showing up in my quest list, and i don't have the armor. Haven't done the fight yet. My lil' dude is like level 14, about turn 30.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 3, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Krazyface posted:

I have a hard time getting heroic victories in this game. Either I beat them with my army intact, in which case it's Decisive, or I get chewed up (which means the army needs to replenish for two turns, and maybe replace a couple saurus), and get Pyrrhic.

My way of getting Heroic victories as Skaven is in siege defense. I had one just now where I used the garrison's warlock engineer to use his warp lightning ability on blobs of Saurus that just popped out of their siege tower. They are so tightly packed at that point you knock off like 80% of their total HP right off the bat and you have enough winds to usually get quite a few zaps in during the battle this way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panfilo posted:

My way of getting Heroic victories as Skaven is in siege defense. I had one just now where I used the garrison's warlock engineer to use his warp lightning ability on blobs of Saurus that just popped out of their siege tower. They are so tightly packed at that point you knock off like 80% of their total HP right off the bat and you have enough winds to usually get quite a few zaps in during the battle this way.

My best heroic victory was a max level dwarf thane and lord getting ambushed by a fuckload of goblins in TW1 while I was trying to move them to collect a stack and roll into a new region. The two of them stood on top of a hill and fought a relentless tide of Goblins until they broke their green hearts and caused them to flee. Highlight was the winded lord marching alone while his bud kept fighting on the hill so he could deal with some doom diver crews before marching all the way back again.

Dwarfs are some tough motherfuckers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any way to screw up the Warp-shard armor quest for Queek? The quest chain is no longer showing up in my quest list, and i don't have the armor. Haven't done the fight yet. My lil' dude is like level 14, about turn 30.

Did you listen to your stupid subordinates telling you that maybe you should start doing your job again. I have no idea if this messes it up. But I did not feel like risking it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I agree that the Screaming Bell needs an amp or something, its not nearly loud enough. I mean fer chrissakes there's a Grey Seer swinging around on top of it like a chimpanzee flailing around, that thing should be deafening!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you listen to your stupid subordinates telling you that maybe you should start doing your job again. I have no idea if this messes it up. But I did not feel like risking it.

I'm not sure I even got the popup for that, I might've clicked through it if i did. But loading prior saves I can't even find one where it triggered at all.

edit:

Yeah reloading all the way back to level 6 and there's no quest showing at all. Any workarounds or fixes? I wonder if dismissing him for a few turns would solve it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did that and the quest continued as normal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I'm not sure I even got the popup for that, I might've clicked through it if i did. But loading prior saves I can't even find one where it triggered at all.

What was the last step you did.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

What was the last step you did.

Checking over the event log and over old saved games, there was no first step; I hit level six and the skill screen got a checkmark, but nothing else has ever shown in my quest log for that quest chain.I've gotten it before on prior Queek games.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Checking over the event log and over old saved games, there was no first step; I hit level six and the skill screen got a checkmark, but nothing else has ever shown in my quest log for that quest chain.I've gotten it before on prior Queek games.

Ah so the quest just did not trigger for some reason.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

If you told me a cutscene from this game would leave me screaming "Yes! YEESSSS!!!" like a loving supervillain I wouldn't have believed you, but that penultimate Skaven cutscene was pretty much perfect. Between Skaven did 9/11 everything and Nerdrat embracing his inner Skaven and taking out a member of the Council it was everything I hoped for, and so much more. I was already a pretty big Skaven fan before this game came out, but it definitely cemented them as my favorite.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ah so the quest just did not trigger for some reason.

Yeah, I can't figure what. Maybe it was leeched XP that tipped him over to level 6 or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If you told me a cutscene from this game would leave me screaming "Yes! YEESSSS!!!" like a loving supervillain I wouldn't have believed you, but that penultimate Skaven cutscene was pretty much perfect. Between Skaven did 9/11 everything and Nerdrat embracing his inner Skaven and taking out a member of the Council it was everything I hoped for, and so much more. I was already a pretty big Skaven fan before this game came out, but it definitely cemented them as my favorite.

He did not actully kill a member of the Council just a Grey Seer who was representing their interests.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Tempest might just be the best spell ever made. It basically negates any unit type air units and if I have a star dragon, lets me just assassinate any air based lord in the game. As soon as people know about it being amazing they'll stop taking air against HE and I won't have to spend points on it since no one will take air against HE after.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yukitsu posted:

Tempest might just be the best spell ever made. It basically negates any unit type air units and if I have a star dragon, lets me just assassinate any air based lord in the game. As soon as people know about it being amazing they'll stop taking air against HE and I won't have to spend points on it since no one will take air against HE after.

Then they will recounter it by taking Air against the HE counting on you expecting them not to take Air.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me exactly how the geomantic web works? Do you need that pylon building in every province you want higher than level 2?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then they will recounter it by taking Air against the HE counting on you expecting them not to take Air.

Then they still might have to fight a star dragon. :boom:

That and if you don't take air vs. high elves it's kind of easy to miss that they didn't take it since it means they can't cast tempest anyway and all high elves seem to take high magic since apotheosis works really well with their comps and unforging is required against some lords like Malekith, Mazdamundi and Skrolk.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What do lizard men use for chasing down archers and horsemen? Carnosaurs or the flying guys they get?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Tenzarin posted:

What do lizard men use for chasing down archers and horsemen? Carnosaurs or the flying guys they get?

They can just sort of absorb shots and push their way through a line until the army breaks and they can chase archers for days, or they can use cav, or pretty much any monster they want. They can also just drag big tough guys through enemy lines into archer lines as well. Some of their spells are also pretty good at mashing up archers like flock of doom.

Also depends on the archer. Trying to run down night runners has been an exercise in futility for me.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I feel like flyers in this game are generally pretty bad at catching fast units. They can pounce on unsupported archers or w/e but not dedicated fast skirmishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
What is everyone running as a mid/late game stack for Skaven?

As they are fairly weak on their own i have been using tag teams of 2 stacks, one made entirely of slaves and the other being mostly plague monks and expensive stuff with 5 artillery pieces.

Also I have been struggling with siege battles to the point where I just siege up outside now and let them run out to meet me.