Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

orange juche posted:

Doesn't stop the NRA from beating that drum though and holding out their hands for cash!

antifa and those people will kill us all!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BadOptics posted:

Not sure why a libertarian would be angry about that when they consider taxation violence. That should make you guys freedom fighters against those evil Statists!

I'm pretty sure that talking point is false anyway, though I could definitely be mistaken. It doesn't matter, libertarians are kinda trash anyway who haven't an ounce of consistency with what they believe. Present company excluded, obviously :tipshat:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I slipped in peepee at CostCo.

I figured he was a goner as soon as the news of his cardiac arrest came out. Apparently doctors were telling him back when he was on heroin that people in his condition don't live.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

vains posted:

that data is presented in a manner that is a wee bit misleading.

Well don't leave us hanging

The only problem I see is that since it's a 7-year study, counties with fewer than (100,000 / 7 =) 14,000 people would be disproportionately affected by one gun death. But even if you account for that, all those deep red counties are still red, and the southeast looks about the same.

e: and if you scroll down on the same page, the gun homicide map lights up urban counties like you'd expect.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

I slipped in peepee at CostCo.

I figured he was a goner as soon as the news of his cardiac arrest came out. Apparently doctors were telling him back when he was on heroin that people in his condition don't live.

drat, another character they're going to have to write out of the KotH reboot

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Saved it for posterity...

are there any stories about what he did with that pass

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

are there any stories about what he did with that pass

I would steal everything that wasn't nailed down but maybe people were less dishonorable than I am in the 40's.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would steal everything that wasn't nailed down but maybe people were less dishonorable than I am in the 40's.

lol no they were pretty much thieves back then

entire planes were stolen at times and it rules

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

at the date posted:

Well don't leave us hanging

The only problem I see is that since it's a 7-year study, counties with fewer than (100,000 / 7 =) 14,000 people would be disproportionately affected by one gun death. But even if you account for that, all those deep red counties are still red, and the southeast looks about the same.

e: and if you scroll down on the same page, the gun homicide map lights up urban counties like you'd expect.

Yeah, it's lumping in suicides with homicides and listing them all as "gunfire deaths" in the hope that people will assume they are talking about homicides. The low population counties thing definitely plays a role too. If you look at the overall homicide rate, there is no correlation between firearm ownership or strictness of gun laws at the state level:

At the county level Chicago, Oakland and Washington D.C. still have higher homicide rates in spite of strict laws.

IIRC, there is a stronger correlation between gun ownership and suicide rates at the state level, but I'd guess that has more to do with the fact that people kill themselves a lot in the midwest and South.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stealing a twitter comment here, but even his death got an encore.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I tried to figure out what I'm supposed to be noticing here - heck, I even resorted to the "if I have no idea what I'm looking at, there's still a chance it's loss.jpg" mentality for a second - but I've got nothing.

Is there some negligent construction detail I'm missing?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I tried to figure out what I'm supposed to be noticing here - heck, I even resorted to the "if I have no idea what I'm looking at, there's still a chance it's loss.jpg" mentality for a second - but I've got nothing.

Is there some negligent construction detail I'm missing?

that's the concert venue on google maps. absolutely zero cover for people trying to hide from a shooter, especially from above.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was supposed to be the view the shooter had, but that would've been more like this I think?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0920061,-115.1741499,96a,35y,24.19h,69.16t/data=!3m1!1e3

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

that's the concert venue on google maps.

Thanks, Captain Obvious, I'm trying to figure out what is so 'gah' about it. I mean, concert layouts are incredibly open and vulnerable to someone shooting from an elevated position, so I figured it wouldn't be that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thanks, Captain Obvious, I'm trying to figure out what is so 'gah' about it. I mean, concert layouts are incredibly open and vulnerable to someone shooting from an elevated position, so I figured it wouldn't be that.

It's a pretty crazy open field of fire from the hotel. Not a whole lot of venues I've been to like that. The shooter would have to be inside of it to be so so effective.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Edit: gently caress it not worth it. Will post in gun chat or something later

Edit edit: Dead Reckoning is probably Wayne Lapierre's forums account though.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 3, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Laranzu posted:

Edit: gently caress it not worth it. Will post in gun chat or something later

Edit edit: Dead Reckoning is probably Wayne Lapierre's forums account though.

You don't appreciate deontology@@@!!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not saying that people who disagree with me are idiots. I think there are good arguments that can be made for other ways of considering things.

I'm just saying that I understand why a lot of people find my arguments contrarian and offensive: because the ethical framework I've come to subscribe to is outside the mainstream in some ways.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ethically frame my dick from the back

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Ethically frame my dick from the back

Not going to be many angels dancing on the head of that pin.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

I thought it was supposed to be the view the shooter had, but that would've been more like this I think?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0920061,-115.1741499,96a,35y,24.19h,69.16t/data=!3m1!1e3
CNN had a 3d model of the area up several times during the day. That's not going to inspire a copycat or anything. I'll see you guys at next week's mass shooting. Make sure to bring your thoughts and prayers.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeris posted:

Don't post stupid poo poo like this please

:same:

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat, another character they're going to have to write out of the KotH reboot

Woah woah woah, there's a KotH reboot coming? When? By who?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Woah woah woah, there's a KotH reboot coming? When? By who?

Mayyyyyybe

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a huge let down. :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not saying that people who disagree with me are idiots. I think there are good arguments that can be made for other ways of considering things.

I'm just saying that I understand why a lot of people find my arguments contrarian and offensive: because the ethical framework I've come to subscribe to is outside the mainstream in some ways.

Lol. What ethical framework. Arguing that laws won't solve anything because criminals are devoid of laws isnt a logical argument. Its a poor mans attempt to end run around a point you disagree with by nullifying it.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
[quote="“Sergg”" post="“477003055”"]
Psychopathy is a highly heritable genetic trait so despite the fact that his father didn’t raise him, the Vegas shooter had psychopathy in his DNA. I bet if you dig into his past deep enough you’ll find domestic violence towards his exes, death threats, enemies with mysteriously slashed tires, embezzled funds, missing neighborhood pets, etc. These guys tend to have a trail of violent anti-social actions behind them. Wouldn’t be surprised if this guy had murdered people before.
[/quote]

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen here

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
[quote="“Vengarr”" post="“477003632”"]
I thought it was funny.
[/quote]

It's the definition of cherrypicking

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, it's lumping in suicides with homicides and listing them all as "gunfire deaths" in the hope that people will assume they are talking about homicides. The low population counties thing definitely plays a role too. If you look at the overall homicide rate, there is no correlation between firearm ownership or strictness of gun laws at the state level:

At the county level Chicago, Oakland and Washington D.C. still have higher homicide rates in spite of strict laws.

IIRC, there is a stronger correlation between gun ownership and suicide rates at the state level, but I'd guess that has more to do with the fact that people kill themselves a lot in the midwest and South.

The fact that they break out homicides and suicidess immediately after contradicts your entire point about it being deceptive. No one on that site or here is presenting deaths as homicides.

And guess what, succesful suicides do result in death and can reasonably be counted among firearm deaths. As much as people like to pretend that suicidal people are perfectly rational who will substitute one method for another, it's actually more complicated and making it harder to access a way to commit suicide demonstrably lowers the rates of people dying. Especially when the method in question is extremely easy and immediately irreversible.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
You yanks are hosed in the head, that's my thoughts from all this

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You yanks are hosed in the head, that's my thoughts from all this

And you live on the planet Hoth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I grew up in a very rural area, too. The edges of the county formed the tax base in the form of commuters to the city, but large numbers of my highschool classmates ended up working in agriculture. As you mention, no amount of tax breaks is going to lure businesses to a rural area with an uneducated and unskilled workforce. Ironically, the white working class population in those areas has deluded itself into the same kind of self-pity and subsistence on welfare that they accuse urban minority populations of engaging in (projection is an interesting thing), while somehow thinking they're entitled to good jobs that require nothing more than a highschool degree. The bottom line is that nobody wants unskilled labor anymore. Right wing politicians can keep making empty promises about how lowering the corporate and top tier tax rates will result in more "good jobs" (it won't), and left wing bernouts can keep calling initiatives to retrain the population elitest. I have yet to see either side (left or right) offer anything helpful other than their usual nonsense.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 3, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

has anyone said "peeontologist" yet

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

never don't multitrack drift

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

missmeyet.jpg

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That was some weird poo poo.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Job retraining doesn't fix the problem either.

As long as employers are incentivized to pay workers less and shareholders more, while workers have no protections and an increasingly large portion of their income is forced to go to things that should be goddamn human rights (housing, healthcare), it doesn't matter how much you train people.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe some sort of combination where people received educations and training as well as affordable housing, healthcare, and food.

But I'm a deontologist so I just think differently than all of you

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm a dentist so I just ride my Harley once a year and complain about taxes and how real men should act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

Job retraining doesn't fix the problem either.

As long as employers are incentivized to pay workers less and shareholders more, while workers have no protections and an increasingly large portion of their income is forced to go to things that should be goddamn human rights (housing, healthcare), it doesn't matter how much you train people.

I agree with this, yes.

• Locked thread