Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

On my 8+, 25% of my battery is being used by 'no cell signal'. I guess that specific usage report is a new ios11 thing?

I work in a basement, and usually only have WiFi access. Would the only way to combat this problem be to turn off cellular altogether while at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

shootforit posted:

On my 8+, 25% of my battery is being used by 'no cell signal'. I guess that specific usage report is a new ios11 thing?

I work in a basement, and usually only have WiFi access. Would the only way to combat this problem be to turn off cellular altogether while at work?

Airplane mode with wifi.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

astral posted:

Airplane mode with wifi.

Won't turning on "WiFi Calling" (for carriers that support it), work as well?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The phone is still going to search for a cell signal unless you turn Airplane mode on.
Searching and/or holding onto a low signal burns way more battery than idling with a strong cell connection.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

dissss posted:

The Bluetooth icon is by design.

How is this a design?

"Hey, know how when someone has their Bluetooth turned on but nothing connected, the icon is dim?"

"Yeah"

"And when they connect something, the icon changes and turns white so that they know something is connected to it?"

"Mhmm. It's a features that makes sense"

"Right right. I agree. Let's get rid of that."

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Just because it's a dumb design doesn't mean it isn't a design.

(Generally I guess they just want it to turn into the headphones icon or whatever when it's paired/connected)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I bought AirPods today, but they're sitting with the receipt while I hum and haw over whether to keep them or return them. 90% of what I listen to is podcasts so the sound quality is more than fine. I'm just stuck on the price, $246 CAD after tax. The alternative is getting my Beats Solo 2 wireless repaired at a cost of $188 CAD.

Anyone want to rave about how much they love theirs a little to tip me over the edge on keeping them?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BGrifter posted:

So I bought AirPods today, but they're sitting with the receipt while I hum and haw over whether to keep them or return them. 90% of what I listen to is podcasts so the sound quality is more than fine. I'm just stuck on the price, $246 CAD after tax. The alternative is getting my Beats Solo 2 wireless repaired at a cost of $188 CAD.

Anyone want to rave about how much they love theirs a little to tip me over the edge on keeping them?

Use them for a day and you'll know.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

rage-saq posted:

Use them for a day and you'll know.

I would, but Best Buy's return policy on headphones is only if they're unopened. :negative:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
You can get perfectly decent Bluetooth headphones on amazon for $20

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I've barely used my Solo 2 Wireless since getting AirPods.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

lol. no you can't.

I mean you can get bluetooth headphones, but they are so far from what anyone would call "decent".

The AirPods are fantastic for the price point. They don't hold a candle to my Shure SE530s or the Westone W40s that replaced those, but they easily approach the Bose SoundLink II while being about $100 or so cheaper. The W chip they use to enhance communication over Bluetooth is really good.

Being able to use one earbud while leaving the other in the charger is nice, since you can swap when the other runs down. This is great if you use the phone to field a lot of phone calls. While limited right now, the touch controls are neat for music (I currently have the right one skip ahead and the left one skip back when playing music). When you pair them, they become an "iCloud device" so they can be easily be used with any of your devices using the same iCloud account (iPhone, watch, Mac, etc...)

Weedle posted:

I've barely used my Solo 2 Wireless since getting AirPods.

Same, but my Bose wireless set. I'm still using the AirPods because of the novelty of them, but I imagine I'll probably move back to the W40s when I'm at my desk and the AirPods when I'm mobile or making a phone call.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 3, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Airpods are great. I don't care about sound quality I care about convenience, and these things are the most convenient headphones I've ever used.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If I didn't get the BeatsX first I would have gone for AirPods for sure. Go try them at an Apple Store if Best Buy would give you trouble about it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I thought $246 CAD was extreme too, but when I saw Eatons Centre Apple Store had them in stock, I got proper drunk and decided 'gently caress it! Apple thread has been raving about them! DO IT LIVE'.

Anyhow, they are convenient as hell, work great with my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Sound quality is okay, I guess. I have high-quality over-ears and IEMs so it's not like I'm forced to use compressed Bluetooth audio exclusively, but the convenience factor means these are earbuds I actually use, rather than earbuds I leave tangled in my bag because it's too much of a PITA to take them out.

Go ahead, pop the packaging, you won't regret it, they're awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like do they keep the communal measuring airpods in like a big bottle of bleach or what

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So like do they keep the communal measuring airpods in like a big bottle of bleach or what

My wife wanted to try them out so a few weeks ago we went to the local Apple store. They brought out a completely new/unopened set from the backroom and opened them right in front of her to try.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You can return opened headphones to Best Buy within the usual 15-day period. Their return policy doesn't make any exemptions for headphones, and I found some Best Buy forum threads where BB reps say it's allowed. Also, I've done it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

lol. no you can't.

I mean you can get bluetooth headphones, but they are so far from what anyone would call "decent".

OP said 90% of what he listens to is podcasts, so you can absolutely buy bluetooth headphones for that use case for $20. For $40 you can get some that probably sound better than the airpods. The price of the airpods is (I assume) more about the form factor. Cheaper bluetooth headphones are tethered together and not nearly as convenient and don't have all the other fancy features.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Erwin posted:

OP said 90% of what he listens to is podcasts, so you can absolutely buy bluetooth headphones for that use case for $20. For $40 you can get some that probably sound better than the airpods. The price of the airpods is (I assume) more about the form factor. Cheaper bluetooth headphones are tethered together and not nearly as convenient and don't have all the other fancy features.

I will concede that. For podcasts and phone calls, the cheap "necklace" style headphones would be perfectly adequate. For music, though, they're typically on par with soup cans on string levels of fidelity (with BASS BOOST DISTORTION™).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks all, I'm sold. They scream the sort of thing I'll wince at the price tag of but once I have them I'll love them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can you program multiple taps into the AirPods? Thinking one tap pause/play, two taps FFWD, three taps rewind. Just thinking a lot of the time I listen with one earbud and it'd be great to quickly navigate my podcasts and their ads.

However, if not possible, I could just rely on my Apple Watch more.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Thanks all, I'm sold. They scream the sort of thing I'll wince at the price tag of but once I have them I'll love them.

I got them for my wife and immediately wished they were mine. I've said it before here I think but Airpods are the first product from Cupertino in a while that just has that Apple polish and magic that we used to expect from them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Can you program multiple taps into the AirPods? Thinking one tap pause/play, two taps FFWD, three taps rewind. Just thinking a lot of the time I listen with one earbud and it'd be great to quickly navigate my podcasts and their ads.

However, if not possible, I could just rely on my Apple Watch more.

Nope.

Double tap only. It will differentiate between left and right double tap. The only actions you can use are : Siri, Next Song, Previous Song. It sucks, but there's no reason they can't expand that in the future and I really hope they do.

I can understand why no single tap, since hitting by accident could trigger an action. But they could maybe introduce a long press to hang-up/pause/play.

It does know when it's in your ear, though. Removing one of them will auto-pause playback and putting it back in starts playing again.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 3, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Proteus Jones posted:

Nope.

Double tap only. It will differentiate between left and right double tap. The only actions you can use are : Siri, Next Song, Previous Song. It sucks, but there's no reason they can't expand that in the future and I really hope they do.

I can understand why no single tap, since hitting by accident could trigger an action. But they could maybe introduce a long press to hang-up/pause/play.

It does know when it's in your ear, though. Removing one of them will auto-pause playback and putting it back in starts playing again.

Watch it is! Thanks

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

BGrifter posted:

As a self-loathing "audiophile", I really like mine. Easy to carry with the little case and convenient for short stretches of walks or grocery store runs.

For extended listening I also go back to my Westone IEMs but the AirPods are with me all the time for casual listening and phone calls.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I seem to need to keep one side to play/pause as putting them back in my ear will not always auto-play Music. Only if it's been done very recently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It also won't do that if you're just wearing one

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

My wife's 8+ developed a weird smudge overnight that won't wipe off. I fear it is under the glass somehow. We opened her phone new from the box last night, restored from her icloud backup, and everything worked fine and looked fine.

Fast forward to this morning, now the smudge is there. with the phone having only sat on a nightstand charging overnight.

We have an appointment tomorrow at the Genius Bar to hopefully get it switched out during the 14 day return period. Anyone seen this issue before?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

shootforit posted:

My wife's 8+ developed a weird smudge overnight that won't wipe off. I fear it is under the glass somehow. We opened her phone new from the box last night, restored from her icloud backup, and everything worked fine and looked fine.

Fast forward to this morning, now the smudge is there. with the phone having only sat on a nightstand charging overnight.

We have an appointment tomorrow at the Genius Bar to hopefully get it switched out during the 14 day return period. Anyone seen this issue before?

A ghost is pressing his glans against your wife's phone

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The small Chinese child who built your wife's phone is attempting to escape.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Anyone else noticed the pasteboard turning into bullshit? I.e. I copy text. I switch applications, and then I attempt to paste the text. Nothing is available to paste. Repeat process, nothing. Go back to first application, copy the text 5 times because one of those has to work, and finally it's available to paste.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't get the whole "I get apple isn't exactly top of the line but boy their stuff sure is convenient convince me to buy it y'all! But their stuff really isn't as good as my $300 headphones that require an absurd sequence to connect to anything" that goes on in here

It's like, gently caress, if the convenience of airpods and such is worth the price diff then get them over the amazon special 🤷🏽‍♀️ yeah something out there always sounds better and are always cheaper. If that's your draw that why bother with apple anything

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't get the whole "I get apple isn't exactly top of the line but boy their stuff sure is convenient convince me to buy it y'all! But their stuff really isn't as good as my $300 headphones that require an absurd sequence to connect to anything" that goes on in here

It's like, gently caress, if the convenience of airpods and such is worth the price diff then get them over the amazon special 🤷🏽‍♀️ yeah something out there always sounds better and are always cheaper. If that's your draw that why bother with apple anything

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive through...are you going to order something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 11.0.2 dropped. :siren:

Apple posted:

- Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices

- Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden

- Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hope it fixes these slow rear end animations 😤
If WatchOS4 wasn't locked to ios11 I'd be back to 10.3 in a heartbeat.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yo remind me again, is it cool to leave the 8 on the wireless charger after it's topped to 100%?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Skeezy posted:

Yo remind me again, is it cool to leave the 8 on the wireless charger after it's topped to 100%?

Yes.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Has anyone else had an issue with bluetooth headphones not actually being recognized as connected but music still plays from them?

Like, I can still listen to music from Google Music or Spotify, but there are no lock screen controls and trying to skip tracks doesn't work and pressing play from the headphones just starts up Music.app instead of using whatever app I was using for music.

Happens with my AirPods, Car bluetooth, any bluetooth speakers. If I restart the phone, it'll work as intended for a while but eventually the same behavior happens. I'm not really sure what causes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hope it fixes these slow rear end animations 😤
If WatchOS4 wasn't locked to ios11 I'd be back to 10.3 in a heartbeat.

It doesn't and I seriously doubt any of the 11.0.x releases will.