Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

realbez posted:

Carton didn’t want Eddie Betts?

And Kyle Cheney was a potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Harley Balic going home to Victoria isn't a big deal as we've got players wanting to come home to us, like Brandon Matera and Nathan Wilson.

Mind you, noted South Australians Lachie Neale and The Pav don't mind hanging around in the west.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What a snake, not wanting to deal with lovely Adelaide media and fans anymore.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spedman posted:

Mind you, noted South Australians Lachie Neale and The Pav don't mind hanging around in the west.

I believe cmndstab had a rant about how our worthless CEO massively disrespected the Pav and basically torpedoed any chance of him coming to the Crows.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

realbez posted:

Carton didn’t want Eddie Betts?

No, they wanted Dale Thomas instead. Mick Malthouse :shrug:

Lynch was actively traded, so was Cheney, and Menzel; Essendon could have kept Jenkins by elevating him to the senior list, but opted to trade him instead because they were confident in Ryder, Hille, and Bellchambers; similar story with Jacobs, except Carlton preferred to go with Kreuzer, Hampson, and Warnock.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eddie wasn’t pushed out he wanted to go home and Carlton couldn’t match, though. That’s how I remember it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Eddie wasn’t pushed out he wanted to go home and Carlton couldn’t match, though. That’s how I remember it.

Carlton pushed him so they could offer most of his salary to Daisy instead. They would have kept him if he'd agreed to the minimum of course, but they didn't expect him to take it, not dissimilar to the way Geelong is trying to force Daniel Menzel out.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright. Didn’t Gibbs ask for a trade home last year but Adelaide wouldn’t deal?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Lynch was actively traded

Uhh, pretty sure he wasn't. He just wasn't getting games cause Ross Lyon was/is the worst coach in the league at playing kids and left for more opportunity.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
south australia is right next to victoria, its pretty different to being as far away as WA. If victorian players keep leaving the crows to head home that sounds like more a player welfare management issue with the club itself rather than a geographic thing.

have port lost many star players over the journey? i cant think of too many off the top of my head

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Alright. Didn’t Gibbs ask for a trade home last year but Adelaide wouldn’t deal?

Adelaide and Carlton disagreed on the price and it fell through. Depending on who you ask, either Adelaide were unrealistically low in their offer, or SoS deliberately set an unreachable position because he/they didn't want the trade to happen, but had to appear to be negotiating to satisfy Gibbs.

snaeksikn posted:

south australia is right next to victoria, its pretty different to being as far away as WA. If victorian players keep leaving the crows to head home that sounds like more a player welfare management issue with the club itself rather than a geographic thing.

have port lost many star players over the journey? i cant think of too many off the top of my head

There's a suggestion that Port have been overpaying their players to achieve retention in recent years, which is why they've had cap trouble, and had problems moving on Hartlett and Lobbe to claw back room, ie other clubs balked at the salary demands.

All theoretical of course.

Periphery posted:

Uhh, pretty sure he wasn't. He just wasn't getting games cause Ross Lyon was/is the worst coach in the league at playing kids and left for more opportunity.

It may have been a bad decision in hindsight and yes Rossco is bad at playing kids, but the club didn't want him, and he was willingly traded. Watters was the new coach when he was traded too.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 3, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Only Burgoyne off the top of my head but I think a bit of that had to do with the Port being in two camps and he was kind of stuck in the middle and was expected to be the next captain or something but was probably too nice to knock everyone's heads together. But then again that story came out of the SA footy media so it's probably bullshit as well.

So when Hawthorn came knocking...

Obviously they've fixed that up now.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

Homesickness is a thing that exists even if the trip home is only an 8 hour drive away.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/leithforrest/status/915065709197012992

But yeah, Gibbs is a contracted player with 2 years left, Lever isn't. Should have signed him early before his stocks rose when he played in a GF.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Apparently Rockliff has chosen Port. So there's another that will willingly go to SA.

Also Darren Jarman (and Matthew Robran). Grrr.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol apparently Lever has already threatened to do a Luke Ball if Adelaide don't get him to us?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton have the first Victorian team pick at #3.

:laffo: if he falls to us. What are the Dees willing to give up to us for Lever? I mean, I'd take back Bianca Jakobsson and a second round pick but the AFL told us to get rid of her.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

:laffo: if he falls to us. What are the Dees willing to give up to us for Lever? I mean, I'd take back Bianca Jakobsson and a second round pick but the AFL told us to get rid of her.

Jack watts

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

spamman posted:

Apparently Rockliff has chosen Port. So there's another that will willingly go to SA.

Tom Rockliff's checklist for his next club:

- NOT in Queensland?

The end

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

NTRabbit posted:

It may have been a bad decision in hindsight and yes Rossco is bad at playing kids, but the club didn't want him, and he was willingly traded. Watters was the new coach when he was traded too.

He was traded because he requested a trade, that's it. Watters tried to get him to stay but he'd made up his mind by that point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

North with their billion dollar vacancy in the salary cap get to pick before Melbourne too

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nah we'll go for Gawn, we need another ruck incase Kreuz gets injured next year.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

spamman posted:

Angus Montfries as well.

I guess ideally Adelaide would have worked on being an interesting an engaging place for cashed up 20-somethings to live before deciding to join the AFL

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

boy undead posted:

He was traded because he requested a trade, that's it. Watters tried to get him to stay but he'd made up his mind by that point.

Every now and then you'll see a trade or a move from a player where it's progressed so far that even if big things change and neither party actually wanted the player to move on the player is so committed to moving they'll do it anyway. I think we'll see it rear it's head again with Menzel if Geelong can't get Ablett back.
See: Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Schlesische posted:

Every now and then you'll see a trade or a move from a player where it's progressed so far that even if big things change and neither party actually wanted the player to move on the player is so committed to moving they'll do it anyway. I think we'll see it rear it's head again with Menzel if Geelong can't get Ablett back.
See: Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings.

That was the case with Houli. He was apparently really not happy with Knights and when Knights got sacked and Hird came in they tried hard to get him to stay but he was already too far gone. He kinda dodged a bullet there though

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

How come Port never seems to lose high profile players? Maybe there's some problems inside the club at Adelaide that make it a poo poo place to play.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

How come Port never seems to lose high profile players? Maybe there's some problems inside the club at Adelaide that make it a poo poo place to play.

They overpay Victorians

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Only Burgoyne off the top of my head but I think a bit of that had to do with the Port being in two camps and he was kind of stuck in the middle and was expected to be the next captain or something but was probably too nice to knock everyone's heads together. But then again that story came out of the SA footy media so it's probably bullshit as well.

So when Hawthorn came knocking...

Obviously they've fixed that up now.

Captaincy was only part of it. He was also pissed off with how they treated his brother as well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

That was the case with Houli. He was apparently really not happy with Knights and when Knights got sacked and Hird came in they tried hard to get him to stay but he was already too far gone. He kinda dodged a bullet there though

This is the first time realizing Bachar Houli played for essendon. Looking back he was a pretty good looking old rooster until the baldness hit.

Also rumours going around Rory Sloane is really considering a trade to St Kilda. Apparently his g/f has taken a job at channel 7 in Melbourne.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Wouldn't it be funny if Adelaide joins Brisbane in having a bigger exodus of players than a team that injected it's players with drugs and got them banned for a year.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if Adelaide joins Brisbane in having a bigger exodus of players than a team that injected it's players with drugs and got them banned for a year.

Especially the year after being in the gf

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I still don't understand how we can justify paying $1M/y for a defender. But I guess we will all feel warm and fuzzy when we can't pay Hogan, petracca, Oliver to stay

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I still don't understand how we can justify paying $1M/y for a defender. But I guess we will all feel warm and fuzzy when we can't pay Hogan, petracca, Oliver to stay

$1m for Lever? That would be massive overs - even after you factor in the extra cash needed to lure him away. I thought I heard that it was more like $800-850k.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

Also rumours going around Rory Sloane is really considering a trade to St Kilda. Apparently his g/f has taken a job at channel 7 in Melbourne.

Wife, and she's been at 7 in Adelaide for a while.

Lever is already gone, so the Victorian media have already started on the target for next year, per both BT and Danny Frawley today.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Guys, guys. For HALF that, you can have your very own, near new Chris Mayne. Barely used.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

glasnost toyboy posted:

Guys, guys. For HALF that, you can have your very own, near new Chris Mayne. Barely used.

I'm going to need a full service history tyty

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

glasnost toyboy posted:

I'm just an impartial bystander chiming in to say this sounds like an amazing deal and you'd be SILLY not to snatch it up.

Well, bye!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

tnimark posted:

I'm just an impartial bystander chiming in to say this sounds like an amazing deal and you'd be SILLY not to snatch it up.

Well, bye!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

glasnost toyboy posted:

I can tell you the Mayne has fantastic trade-in value if you want to upgrade down the track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jeffrey returns.

Edit: he was good for us but I doubt Clarko is happy 😐

realbez fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 4, 2017

• Locked thread