Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

You're playing an egalitarian empire and you're not getting a constant stream of refugee pop ups?

Well, you probably didn't give them citizenship I guess? In my last game I had new habitats fill almost instantly with "grateful refugees" when a nearby autocratic regime won a war against another.

The "natural physicists" birds they were purging would end up on the energy habitats most of the time though. :argh:

I'm running down the end of a Blorg game where I've gotten two refugee pops, total. Including one from when I won a war against a xenophobic slaver state that occupied a fifth of the galaxy, and forced them to emancipate (and expel) their prole race

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Baronjutter”" post="“476988680”"]
Refugees are NOT welcome in my empire sadly. We’re not xenophobic technically, more just isolationist and desiring a very homogenous and unified culture. I wish we could set refugee policy based on ethos though. Materialist and egalitarian are welcome, everyone else nope. I don’t care what you look like, but what stupid annoying factions you’re going to found. Also my empire is already perfectly minmaxed with my humans being terrible at mining but great at research and their separate but equal robots who are great at mining working together for an optimal society. I don’t want to deal with the micro of some new species that has a +15% society bonus and having to shift them around to the correct tiles.

Sectors seem to move pops around to keep things optimal, most of the time. I’ll still see places where the synth with mining upgrades is working on a unity building and the mining network is staffed by some weak race that has a unity bonus. Arg. I so so wish both core and sector planets had an auto-optimize button that moved pops around to ensure the strong miners are on the mines and the natural engineers are on the engineering lab and so on. Let me click “autosort pops” or something on my planets and let the AI take care of that. If that button existed I’d be way way more into gene and robo modding.
[/quote]

Or you can make do with having a multicultural empire full of outcasts from everywhere else. See it as a small handicap for being the "good guys"

So many serviles and proles not wanted by another empire in my last game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

help please I'm drowning in cheeto dust please turn off the infinite food machine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

help please I'm drowning in cheeto dust please turn off the infinite food machine

Pampering is mandatory!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Axetrain posted:

What are the conditions for a FE awakening again, is it fleet size or after a period of time?

code:
	trigger = {
		NOT = { has_global_flag = sleepers_awake_happened }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = guardians_of_the_galaxy_happened }

years_passed > 100

is_country_type = fallen_empire
		NOT = { has_ethic = ethic_gestalt_consciousness }
		is_at_war = no
		fleet_power > 40000

# Wake up if regular empire is growing too strong or has started to conquer other fallen empires
		any_country = {
			is_country_type = default
			OR = {
				fleet_power > 50000
				any_owned_planet = {
					has_planet_flag = fallen_empire_world
				}
			}
		}
	}

Basically, 100 years has to have passed, the FE needs to be at peace and have at least 40k fleet, and either a normal empire has over 50k fleet power or has conquered a FE planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Pampering is mandatory!

the customer support center has battleships guarding it.

my really nice 25 tile planet is being buried under cheeto dust and I can't make them turn the machine off

aaaaaaaaa

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which of the extra event mods have the most consistently good writing? I'd take consistent 7s over 10s and 2s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if you also want to be buried in cheetos I recommend more events mod

also leviathans extended if you want to be hosed in the skull because you just had to see what was under the shield

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Crushing a Fallen Empire is just so satisfying. Yes, you will be pampered for eternity, and no you will not stop me as I colonize that 25-tile Gaia World you've been calling a "Holy World" that I've had my eye on for the last 150 years.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm disappointed that the FE with ring world ruins is on the opposite side of the map from me. Nothing interesting with my local FE as far as I can see. Even the nearby worlds that trigger it are nothing special.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:fuckoff:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

teethgrinder posted:

I'm disappointed that the FE with ring world ruins is on the opposite side of the map from me. Nothing interesting with my local FE as far as I can see. Even the nearby worlds that trigger it are nothing special.

I'm looking forward to the point where my fleet gets big enough I can vassalize my neighboring FE. I grabbed the +200 fleet capacity AP (and immediately went into debt trying to fill it) and now our fleet capacities are reading as equivalent. I'm playing feudal birdpopes (And I probably should have named it the Holy Robin Empire :doh:), but thanks to the "That's Not Fair!" mod, my science progression is so fast I only have the option of making protectorates of my neighbors, and only one of them has graduated to vassal.

...That raises an interesting question, actually. If a feudal empire vassalizes a FE, will that FE awaken and begin aggressively expanding?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My current federation has been presently surprisingly competent. They're actually participating in wars and when they propose one the goals are actually relevant to me. Hell, the current war was proposed by an AI and it's only goal is getting me a new vassal. Guess having the biggest fleet and cap in the galaxy inspires loyalty.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Axetrain posted:

What are the conditions for a FE awakening again, is it fleet size or after a period of time?

fleet size, time passed, crisis started, or if another FE was destroyed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Roobanguy posted:

fleet size, time passed, crisis started, or if another FE was destroyed.

Or if they've lost any worlds of their own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

teethgrinder posted:

All the FEs have some interesting world, even if they're "only" size 25 Gaia worlds. Personally I love some of the stuff that comes out of shielded worlds.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh hello there, sad little synthetics.

Was the mean ol' xenophobic awakened empire enslaving you?

It's okay, the Modrons are now the rulers of your planet. Welcome to Order.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I remember a little while ago that materialists got the short end of the stick (as compared to spiritualists) when it came to things in this game, since the spiritualist FE is a huge jerk and does things like make them limit research on AI and the such. Is that still a thing, or has the past few patches/expansions evened the playing field a bit?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I remember a little while ago that materialists got the short end of the stick (as compared to spiritualists) when it came to things in this game, since the spiritualist FE is a huge jerk and does things like make them limit research on AI and the such. Is that still a thing, or has the past few patches/expansions evened the playing field a bit?

One of my recent games was a materialist empire doing a synthetic ascension, and the spiritualist FE never did anything but mourn the loss of my soul. I might have just got lucky or been too distant to bother with, they were like a third of the way around the galaxy from me.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Think the contingency must be bugged. I could handle the fleets it shits out fine before but the pace of making GBS threads has increased to the point I can't keep up. Probably have to console command this one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dareon posted:

I'm looking forward to the point where my fleet gets big enough I can vassalize my neighboring FE. I grabbed the +200 fleet capacity AP (and immediately went into debt trying to fill it) and now our fleet capacities are reading as equivalent. I'm playing feudal birdpopes (And I probably should have named it the Holy Robin Empire :doh:), but thanks to the "That's Not Fair!" mod, my science progression is so fast I only have the option of making protectorates of my neighbors, and only one of them has graduated to vassal.

...That raises an interesting question, actually. If a feudal empire vassalizes a FE, will that FE awaken and begin aggressively expanding?

I don't think you can vassalize FEs. Can't liberate their planets, either. Your only valid wargoals vs FEs are humiliation or taking their planets.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Edit: Interesting fact; seems that if you conquer an empire with synthetics as a machine empire, the synthetics no longer use happiness but retain their "synthetic" trait which gives +20% to all yields. They can also be robo-modded and, if you're a rogue servitor, are affected by servitor morale. This creates some very high yields because I don't think those two were ever meant to stack. You can't build more synthetics though (incidentally this makes the +20% build cost trait a free 2 points).

Conquering the materialist FE as a machine empire is pretty nice.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Since they have those alternate tradition bonuses now, there should probably be an alternate for the supremacy tradition giving unity gain per rival when taken by an inward perfection empire, since they can't have rivals.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

My current federation has been presently surprisingly competent. They're actually participating in wars and when they propose one the goals are actually relevant to me. Hell, the current war was proposed by an AI and it's only goal is getting me a new vassal. Guess having the biggest fleet and cap in the galaxy inspires loyalty.

I have to wonder if the AI for picking war demands has gotten smarter because I remember way back when almost never joining in on wars the AI proposes because I don't want some random irrelevant planet way out in BFE. In my last couple of games though the AI picked a lot of the planets that I would have taken if I was the one proposing the war.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My game is in the 2390s, I set the crisis to 1.5x and am currently the top non-AE in the galaxy with my federation of liberated reformed genocidal butterflies. Unfortunately, I am currently at war with a. the Xenophilic Awakened Empire with about double my fleet strength, b. a chill Hive Mind that hates my reformed butterflies and started poo poo, but has maybe half my fleet strength and c. a Xenophobic kingdom and its ally with about 2/3 of my fleet capacity of some sorts that I've antagonized somce with broke the Fanatical Purifier that was previously my butterfly bros.

I'm going to regret beating up the Hive Mind, but I'm grinding through the Xenophobes and the Awakened Empire may be bugged because none of their fleets are coming at me, I guess there are no open borders to me or something?

There's probably another me and a half in fleet power floating around in the galaxy, so I think the endgame crisis will roll us unless my productive planets are away from the bad dudes when they show up.

For reference, my fleet strength is about 150k with level 2 spinal guns, level 5 shields and armor, and hyperdrive 3s.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

crazypeltast52 posted:

My game is in the 2390s, I set the crisis to 1.5x and am currently the top non-AE in the galaxy with my federation of liberated reformed genocidal butterflies. Unfortunately, I am currently at war with a. the Xenophilic Awakened Empire with about double my fleet strength, b. a chill Hive Mind that hates my reformed butterflies and started poo poo, but has maybe half my fleet strength and c. a Xenophobic kingdom and its ally with about 2/3 of my fleet capacity of some sorts that I've antagonized somce with broke the Fanatical Purifier that was previously my butterfly bros.

I'm going to regret beating up the Hive Mind, but I'm grinding through the Xenophobes and the Awakened Empire may be bugged because none of their fleets are coming at me, I guess there are no open borders to me or something?

There's probably another me and a half in fleet power floating around in the galaxy, so I think the endgame crisis will roll us unless my productive planets are away from the bad dudes when they show up.

For reference, my fleet strength is about 150k with level 2 spinal guns, level 5 shields and armor, and hyperdrive 3s.

I was in a similar place in in a game set to only .75 crisis and thought I was handling things, had about 200k fleet. AE's woke up and brought about 400k worth, then a crisis showed up with close to a million. I only play at .25 now :(

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Paradox Cknoor the same Cknoor who's apparently a Blood Bowl savant?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://imgur.com/a/XtUDP
I wonder if one day we'll ever get a planet tile AI that can manage things, or if this is just some bug or edge case.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Strudel Man posted:

Since they have those alternate tradition bonuses now, there should probably be an alternate for the supremacy tradition giving unity gain per rival when taken by an inward perfection empire, since they can't have rivals.
A bonus for every empire that chose you as their rival. Something about greatness and the envy of one's lessers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baronjutter posted:

https://imgur.com/a/XtUDP
I wonder if one day we'll ever get a planet tile AI that can manage things, or if this is just some bug or edge case.

Isn't 'respect tile resources' off by default?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Don't know if it's a bug or a change I missed, but I just beat the Contingency and I do not have the old diplo bonus relating to being the ones who beat a crisis. This is not important for this game because it wouldn't make a dent in how much everyone hates us for all that genocide we've done, but might be more vexing in a less Imperium game.

e; Also I goddamn love the amount of polish and little details this game has sometimes. I came across a ruined ringworld after I'd built my own, and instead of the usual text in the confirmation box being all "Super advanced! Can we ever hope to match them?" it said "Well, as advanced as us, anyway."

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 3, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Away all Goats posted:

Isn't 'respect tile resources' off by default?

It is.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since the OP seems out of date, what are the current "best" mods? I'm not picky, a poorly curated list is fine.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Playstation 4 posted:

If you want some fun ones to intersperse in your games, I can upload my updated list.

i'd love to check it out.

--

and to anyone, if you have a really fleshed out empire of your own with your own backstory and all that, please PM me about it, or post about it on here! my aim is to put in a whole bunch of really well-written fleshed out empires created by you all and see if that changes the game experience at all. if every entity in the game feels as well fleshed out and significant in the players mind as any country in the earth-based grand strategy games of paradox, then immersion will be much better, meaning more enjoyment of the game experience, everything feels more significant and the stakes can be felt if the player can relate with any of the empires in the game.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 3, 2017

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Okay, this is driving me crazy. Why don't my fleets bombard my planets once they've been occupied? I can't use anything other than Light bombardment because we're Fanatic Pacifists, but I can't retake any of my own worlds because I have no way of reducing the 2k+ fortifications, and when I land troops, the militia armies kick my rear end. There's no one actually occupying the drat places!

EDIT: I just needed to bring more ships. :saddowns:

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 3, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I managed to when the war with the unaligned powers guys but the Fallen Empire on my side is useless. I've managed to reverse engineer enough tech to throw together a decent fleet but I'm already nearly doubling my naval capacity just to reach about half the strength the enemy has. Aside from the unfortunate placement of the Awakened Empires in my game I don't even know what to do about the Contingency. It kicked in barely 150 years into the game and everybody seems woefully unprepared to deal with all these drat purge fleets.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, my (rather unhealthy) non-stop marathon of Stellaris to finally end a game in time is over: Generic Machine Empire, large map, planets and primitives at 25%, crisis at 75%.

The crisis I got (my first one actually) was the Contingency, and boy was that a ride: At several points I honestly thought the galaxy was done for, especially after one of the FEs went under. Still, after a long grueling campaign it ends here.

Could have ended a bit earlier, actually -but after I saw the AI doing nothing about the machine worlds themselves, I cheesed the Contingency by leaving the last machine planet alive for as long as possible, to force my enemies to stay at peace while I was busy expanding into the now dead part of the galaxy.

The last battle was grueling enough to send my new admiral to max level in one go.

Mowing down the last defenses after defeating the guardian fleet.

At this point I had enough time on my hands to marvel how my fleet battleships can bunch together like this without colliding. Could you imagine Stellaris with a collision mechanic?

And so the last machine planet dies. Destroyed by other machines. How fitting.

Or so I thought! Son of a bitch, there is another one! :argh:

At this point I was enraged enough to order both my fleets to assault this new menace: 300k + fleet strength, almost enough to take on the Awakened Empire still in the game head-on.

OK, time for the true final battle! The AI-cores look scary, but tons of my cruisers, destroyers and even some of my battleships have PD and their own fighters, so those things and their huge waves of strike craft are basically neutered.

This shows nicely how my fleet composition works: The smaller ships are swarming around the enemy, wreaking havoc and confusion, while the cruisers present a meat shield between the enemy and my battleships, catching a lot of hits for them.

Now could you please just die you fuckers!

And with the aid of massive firepower, the Contingency is destroyed! Victory for all class 30 singularities everywhere! Also gently caress you, you suicidal maniacs, I've destroyed your toys. All your plans are dust.

And immediately after, I won! Letting the Contingency live a bit longer to colonize all those new planets payed for itself. :smugbird:

But then I got too greedy because I wanted to finish my Dyson Sphere, and less then a month after the Domination Victory, the Awakened Empire declared war. Too bad they left out all their thralls, while I could drag in my federation members.

Also too bad: Even with a fleet weakened by battering down the last remnants of a galaxy-wide crisis, I was nearly strong enough to beat the AE in a direct fleet fight. This lead to the AI running around between my two main fleets, always trying to destroy one of them. A couple inconclusive battles were fought, while my armies of 40K-titans and battlemechs overran half a dozen planets, forcing them to end the war with ceding me one of them.

Now I have ten years to bring my fleet to full strength and I've proven to myself that I can beat even the Awakened Empire. All other galactic powers are so weak in comparison I couldn't ever lose. At this point, I stopped. I still plan to keep this save for the future, but right now I'm glad the game is already convinced I've won, because nothing is more tedious than the last war in a space 4x.

And that's my story of how, after playing for 450+ hours, I finally pushed through a run to victory. Now I seriously need a break from Stellaris, though. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm too addicted to ever stop. :shepface:

Edit:

By the way, this is the last time I'm setting primitives that low, I never found a single one during this entire run. Either the Contingency, or some of my neighbors apparently killed of the few the map spawned.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 3, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kenlon posted:

Okay, this is driving me crazy. Why don't my fleets bombard my planets once they've been occupied? I can't use anything other than Light bombardment because we're Fanatic Pacifists, but I can't retake any of my own worlds because I have no way of reducing the 2k+ fortifications, and when I land troops, the militia armies kick my rear end. There's no one actually occupying the drat places!

EDIT: I just needed to bring more ships. :saddowns:

Fortifications now have a regeneration rate, it's not massively high but it's enough that if you don't bring a big enough fleet doing enough damage per day it either won't reduce or it will take forever to reduce.

With you being restricted to only light bombardment the irony is that if you were in a rush you would need to throw away the lives of millions of pacifist soldiers in order to conquer the planet because the navy doesn't want to risk a 2% chance per month you'll kill like 5% of the planetary population.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

With you being restricted to only light bombardment the irony is that if you were in a rush you would need to throw away the lives of millions of pacifist soldiers in order to conquer the planet because the navy doesn't want to risk a 2% chance per month you'll kill like 5% of the planetary population.

You could argue this is because pacifists are by nature too inexperienced with warfare to make cruel decisions like this. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Paradox Cknoor the same Cknoor who's apparently a Blood Bowl savant?

Yes. And he was a goon before he was either of those things.

• Locked thread