Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

As a Turkish person I was annoyed she called Istanbul "Constantinople". :argh:

How far is it to Batman from where you are? And why do you not live there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah I know, I was joking.

(Actually, so was I.

"Why'd they change it?
I can't say.
People just liked it better that way."

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Jimmy Kennedy/Nat Simon)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

homullus posted:

I can't say. People just liked it better that way.

:golfclap:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

He was fantastic and that's what I mean. I think it's going to be good.

Most of these shows have been driven by the quality of the performances, even the only good parts of Iron Fist that people liked. In JJ, DD and LC all the leads really shined and the episodes largely lived and died based on who was on screen at any given time when I stop and think about it. People hated Finn as Danny but seemed to like Weaver even though her role was weak, for instance.

Consider: Fisk, Cottonmouth, JJ, Luke, Matt, Frank, Kilgrave, Foggy, Ben Urich, Karen Page...several supporting actors... I could go on and on. People harp on the action but almost everything people post that really sucks seems to revolve around the performers, to my eye.

I go back to the idea that 90% of the criticism about these shows comes down to whether there was a good villain serving as a foil for the hero. People liked DD S2 when it was DD vs Punisher but not DD vs Hand. People liked Luke Cage vs Cottonmouth but not vs Diamondback. The high points of Iron Fist were when the Wards were hamming it up as villains and distracting from Danny vs The Hand.

To that end I really have no idea how Punisher is going to work out because I have no sense of who the villain is. A lot of people like the idea of Punisher and Bernthal's performance as him so far, but its really hard to judge how that will play as the hero in his own story with his own foil as opposed to a foil for DD.

But I'm sure the reviews will be better just for "He shot a bunch of people!"

Doctor Butts posted:

My issue with Alexandra is that I never really understood what led her to the myopic goal of risking her, and the rest of the Hand's leadership's lives to create the Black Sky.

I think the foolish confidence, overbearing attitude, and desperate nature of her ploy were handled pretty well, though.

I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret something: was the goal of most of the other Hand's leadership to return and reintegrate into Kun Lun or was it to take it over?

The Hand wanted to get back to Kun Lun to steal their secrets/magic, specifically their immortal dragon bone juice so they could keep living forever. There seemed to be a bit of nostalgia in some of them about their old home but their motivation was clearly "poo poo, we're out of the poo poo we stole when we left." Alexandra was recklessly speeding up the timeline on it because she was dying so she needed way more of the magic dragon bone stuff than what they had.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lurdiak posted:

In what universe was Sigourney Weaver's character an exciting new villain?

The universe where instead of being a normal immortal leader of the Hand she's actually Mefisto summoned using the Black Sun's power. You can keep the Elektra Resurrection by the Hand stuff and explain it as Stick was using specially enchanted Arrows to remove the Black Sun power from that kid he killed and thus Elektra being taken means they can resurrect her with the Black Sun Magic still in her. Makes the Black Sun something more than just a better Ninja Fighter too and explains the Hand's Evil as being a cult to Marve's Demon Ruler of Hell.

Also remove the Dragon Bone stuff and instead have their Immortality etc all be Demon Ninja Magic. Black Suns are "children" of Mefisto somehow.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

STAC Goat posted:

To that end I really have no idea how Punisher is going to work out because I have no sense of who the villain is.

It's the Punisher

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Villain is the justice system.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Maybe the real villain is the friends we made along the way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The villain is the act of murder. An act which cannot be redeemed once you've crossed it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rocksicles posted:

My Greek boss has a different take on that...

Yeah, Greeks still don't refer to that city as Istanbul. It's either Constantinopolis or (less often nowadays) "Poli".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

STAC Goat posted:

To that end I really have no idea how Punisher is going to work out because I have no sense of who the villain is.

Jigsaw, and/or the CIA - it's not clear whether Jigsaw is working for the CIA or not, but he's a former comrade of Frank's from Iraq who was part of the same black op that's now trying to silence Frank and is now the head of a Blackwater-style PMC that's hunting him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Yeah, Greeks still don't refer to that city as Istanbul. It's either Constantinopolis or (less often nowadays) "Poli".

That's why their country went down the shitter. They don't even know the correct names of cities!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That's why they consider the Punisher to be an anti-hero, because although he does combat criminals and villains, he crosses lines that other heroes do not cross, so you got other heroes like daredevil trying to help him and get him to not kill n' poo poo.

Although if we're going to include the recent marvel movies, really every one of those guys have killed before, accidentally or otherwise, so I don't know.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 3, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fargin Icehole posted:

That's why they consider the Punisher to be an anti-hero, because although he does combat criminals and villains, he crosses lines that other heroes do not abide by.

Although if we're going to include the recent marvel movies, really every one of those guys have killed before, accidentally or otherwise, so I don't know.

Even a character who's ok with killing a villain to stop their rampage or an enemy soldier in wartime is a far cry from a serial killer who murders people in their beds because of past crimes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frank is definitely not an anti-hero. He's a villain whose interests, but not methods, occasionally align with those of heroes, and only because he is driven by a sense of justice rather than, say, the sheer desire for chaos and suffering or the goal of personal gain at the expense of everything else.

The reason he worked so well in DD2 is because his character was both well-written and well-acted. This made the audience sympathize with and maybe even root for him, which is very rare in the comics universe, and in storytelling in general.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lurdiak posted:

Even a character who's ok with killing a villain to stop their rampage or an enemy soldier in wartime is a far cry from a serial killer who murders people in their beds because of past crimes.

Well yeah, that's why he's an unsavory fellow. But I think the plain human nature of feeling justified in taking revenge, most heroes always trying to find a way to solve conflicts, AND said heroes usually combating other villains with similar powers, without killing anybody is probably the main reasons why Punisher is such a hit. It's a hit because it's different.

He has no superpowers and he finds a way to take down criminal organizations and super villains alike also has that underdog element to it.

enraged_camel posted:

Frank is definitely not an anti-hero. He's a villain whose interests, but not methods, occasionally align with those of heroes, and only because he is driven by a sense of justice rather than, say, the sheer desire for chaos and suffering or the goal of personal gain at the expense of everything else.

The reason he worked so well in DD2 is because his character was both well-written and well-acted. This made the audience sympathize with and maybe even root for him, which is very rare in the comics universe, and in storytelling in general.

Maybe it's the strict set of rules that comics followed, but generally I always saw it as:

Heroes: Never kill unless they want shock value
Anti-Heroes:Straight up kill villains
Villains: Explicitly, willingly, and eagerly places innocent people in harms way to get what they want.

I never really saw Frank Castle as a villain, just a hero whose methods are so extreme and distasteful, heroes treat him as a menace despite the fact heroes are also taking the law into their own hands. But he never kills an innocent person...Unless he does for the shock value, just like the hero. I can count on one hand though when they tried that bullshit, and i'm including movies, punisher max, and the regular comics.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 3, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Maybe it's the strict set of rules that comics followed, but generally I always saw it as:

Heroes: Never kill unless they want shock value
Anti-Heroes:Straight up kill villains
Villains: Explicitly, willingly, and eagerly places innocent people in harms way to get what they want.

I never really saw Frank Castle as a villain, just a hero whose methods are so extreme and distasteful, heroes treat him as a menace despite the fact heroes are also taking the law into their own hands. But he never kills an innocent person...Unless he does for the shock value, just like the hero. I can count on one hand though when they tried that bullshit, and i'm including movies, punisher max, and the regular comics.

Antiheroes do the right thing for the wrong reasons, which are often selfish. For example, a guy who knocks out a bunch of gangsters in the unit upstairs because they are making too much noise and not letting him sleep would be an antihero.

Frank, in contrast, does the wrong thing for the right reasons. He is clearly driven by a strong sense of justice, but his method of delivering that justice is grossly and inexcusably inhumane. Where Daredevil is always conflicted about the fact that he is a vigilante, and often times hesitates and refrains from crossing certain lines, Frank basically has no brakes. He regularly commits pre-meditated murder because in his mind it is justified.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like heroes having a strict 'no killing ever' rule isn't necessary or very smart/realistic when dealing with supervillains that can and do kill dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions if left unchecked. Just avoiding killing if there's any other alternative seems like it'd be enough. The problem with the Punisher isn't that he kills, it's that he goes out of his way to kill. With such a massive body count chances are he'll end up killing innocent people that just SEEM guilty, too - there's a reason the death penalty allows appeals. So I lean more towards him being borderline villain protagonist than just 'anti-hero'.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Frank, in contrast, does the wrong thing for the right reasons. He is clearly driven by a strong sense of justice, but his method of delivering that justice is grossly and inexcusably inhumane. Where Daredevil is always conflicted about the fact that he is a vigilante, and often times hesitates and refrains from crossing certain lines, Frank basically has no brakes. He regularly commits pre-meditated murder because in his mind it is justified.

Is there a catchy name like "antihero" for people like Frank?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
TVTropes calls the "right thing, wrong reasons" stripe a classical anti-hero and the inverse a "nineties anti-hero" (as 90s comics basically popularized that usage of "anti-hero").

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I feel like heroes having a strict 'no killing ever' rule isn't necessary or very smart/realistic when dealing with supervillains that can and do kill dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions if left unchecked. Just avoiding killing if there's any other alternative seems like it'd be enough. The problem with the Punisher isn't that he kills, it's that he goes out of his way to kill. With such a massive body count chances are he'll end up killing innocent people that just SEEM guilty, too - there's a reason the death penalty allows appeals. So I lean more towards him being borderline villain protagonist than just 'anti-hero'.

Yeah, but the whole point of sticking to the no killing rule is that, no matter what happens, the heroes have drawn that line in the sand to separate themselves from the villains, and as a nice watchdog to keep any of them from becoming someone like Castle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but the whole point of sticking to the no killing rule is that, no matter what happens, the heroes have drawn that line in the sand to separate themselves from the villains, and as a nice watchdog to keep any of them from becoming someone like Castle.

Then you've also got folks like Daredevil, who generally adhere to not deliberately setting out to kill people, but if the bad guy dies during the fight they won't shed any tears.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And also there's something to be said for all the dudes they have left paralyzed or brain dead in hospital wards. You can't be in the business of concussion distribution without actually cracking some eggs now and again.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Daredevil is a dude who won't kill but will smash a carbon fiber rod over a dude's head 6 times in a row.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HIJK posted:

Daredevil is a dude who won't kill but will smash a carbon fiber rod over a dude's head 6 times in a row.

Pretty good avatar pic / post content combo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

TVTropes calls the "right thing, wrong reasons" stripe a classical anti-hero and the inverse a "nineties anti-hero" (as 90s comics basically popularized that usage of "anti-hero").

TV tropes is stupid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Habibi posted:

Pretty good avatar pic / post content combo.

"it's only a liiiiiittle brain damage"

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Isn't this explicitly called out in DD when the throws that triad member down to trash from rooftop?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's no CTE in the netflix Marvel Universe. You only get that from a lack of oxygen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

Isn't this explicitly called out in DD when the throws that triad member down to trash from rooftop?

Yeah, Nurse Plot-Contrivance totally calls him out on it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Cool tough guy moment for Matt and also a reminder that he's the protagonist but not a nice person.

God I miss DeKnight

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Matt applies comic book legal logic to himself in these situations: if he can't see a corpse then they did not die.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Daredevil's whole categorization is about his hosed up ethics and he's got people on both ends of the spectrum from priests and healers to assassins and serial killers all pointing out how hosed up his rationalizations are.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

luke cage season 2

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
NYCC Punisher panel cancelled, for reasons you can probably guess

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-punisher-1202581153/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

NYCC Punisher panel cancelled, for reasons you can probably guess

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-punisher-1202581153/

And yet:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916317209017937920

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is really weird and semi disturbing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
well that's loving disturbing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"Ludicrous swan dive into cartoon villainy" is the official backpedal of corporations in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not exactly offbrand tbh.

But I guess it does show up this kind of cancellation gesture to be genuinely hollow, at least where Marvel's concerned. Sure, cancel a panel, but why lose money? Gun violence is just the cost of doing business. Fuckers.